Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568315 times)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2520 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM »
Aba, not one but two pairs pa!...  ;D ;D ;D

sige kunin ko na 9.1 ko hehehe...

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2521 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 06:34 AM »
Haha! just seen this perfect site for me! Talk about wharfedales! Kaka set-up ko lang ng Home theater sound system which consists of pure wharfies.

Wharfedale 9.1 for front L/R
Wharfedale 9.CS for Center channel
Wharfedale 9.DFS for surround channel

I have an improvised subwoofer which consists of an older JVC analog amplifier which drives one 8' Acoustic Research speaker.

Sound Rocks! Feel free to ask me or check out my stuff!
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline Rangerdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2522 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 01:31 PM »
Hi!  I am new here but definitely not a newbie in our mutual quest for good audio reproduction in the home.

Although I posted a new thread in the Amp section, I felt that this thread could offer me some help.

You see, I am bitten by your so-called SARS and I find it increasingly hard to resist the temptation (!#*?) to buy the topdog of the range, the Wharfedale 9.6.  Before deciding on it, however, I am researching on a good amp/ cd match.

One contender I researched on is the amp/ cd combination from an old name -Onkyo.  Onkyo has developed a Class D amp (supposed to be very efficient) topology.  So far, the reviews I read on the net are very encouraging /positive, to say the least.

I am referring to the A 9755 / A 9555 / A 9355 integrateds and the Wolfson DAC powered DX 7555 CD player.

One link I could show you: http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

Please, if you have any information about this amp / cd combination, do reply.  Sana nga, it they are already available in the Philippines.

I have a BIG hunch it will be a very good match for the 9.6

Thank you.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2523 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 09:06 PM »
Hey Rangerdog!

When searching for a receiver I was able to audition some Onkyo's with 9.6's ;D  During auditioning I also auditioned Denon receivers.  I am pleased to say that I am very happy with the Denon-Wharfedale match ;D It is what I decided to get,  they've been with me for almost a year now and have had no regrets.  Like you said, Top Dog for me was also Top Bang for the buck ;D  Always Trust the Ears and Good Luck on your quest ;D

Welcome to PinoyDVD!
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Rangerdog

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2524 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM »
Hi Blackie,

Good you didn't regret your purchase (buyer's remorse) - it must be a terrific sounding system.  I am just wondering, what Denon model are you using now?  I believe since you have a HT setup, the 9.6 are your main LR speakers. 

For my needs, I plan to use the 9.6 for a stereo setup using the Onkyo amp / cdp. I already have my 5.1 rig using Tannoy MX2s and NAD 752 which, I would hasten to add, is not too shabby sounding either.

By the way, I did a bit of a research, a phone call here and there and I discovered that the Onkyo combo is already in the Philippines (Onkyo-B&W Showroom, The West Wing Bldg, West Avenue, QC).  Together, they cost P 75K, about the same cost in US dollars.  I believe I can get a better price by haggling.  Will report on the combination if I get my hands on these babies.

Best,

Offline Rangerdog

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2525 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
Ooopps!

Bumblebee actually led me to the Onkyo site in QC.   I also posted in the Amp forum, pala.  Thanks again, Bumblebee!

Rangerdog

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2526 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 10:36 PM »
Hey Rangerdog!

Yes they are primarily for home theater.  I got a "basic" 1707 Denon.  Lately i have been listening to a lot of music though, and I don't know if it't just my ears but the sound and speakers seem to be sounding better though time ;D  Well it doesn't seem that budget will be a consraint for you,  do keep in mind that at the end of the day regardless of all the inputs you get here, it's only you whose ears you have to satisfy ;D ;D ;D

Cheers!

Offline Rangerdog

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2527 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
So true, Blackie, my ears and my wallet are of primary consideration. 

Anyway, I am keeping my options open for another AV receiver, either a Denon or HK.  I've read a lot of raves in the HK camp driving Wharfes.

Offline audioworld

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Puresound As Close As It Gets
  • Liked:
« Reply #2528 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 05:58 PM »
So true, Blackie, my ears and my wallet are of primary consideration. 

Anyway, I am keeping my options open for another AV receiver, either a Denon or HK.  I've read a lot of raves in the HK camp driving Wharfes.

Good day!

We have a pre-owned prestine almost brand new HK AVR 145 and wer just selling it for P16,500 cash if your interested please feel free to call us at 732-7716 or 742-6843.

Cheers,

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2529 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 05:38 PM »
Yesteday I kissed goodbye my 9.5 to my officemate, was kept in the box more than a year now. It went with my AMC 3025a integrated amp, it's small in size and rating but has lot of guts to drive the wafees crazy when I demoed to my friend. In just a couple of tracks from Audio CD, Santana Live DVD  and few tracks from Queen's LP in analog sound. It put a Big grin to friend's face and deal is closed. another friend of mine called that afternoon and told me that he dropping by to pick-up the waffe but told him that sorry, it's already taken just few hours in the morning.  :(  :(
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2530 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
Upgrading gear Audiojunkie? ;D ;D ;D

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2531 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 09:58 PM »
Upgrading gear Audiojunkie? ;D ;D ;D

Nope, got the 9.5 from dealer's close-out and used for 3 months warranty period then put backed in the box for more than a year now. I'm very satisfied with my paradigm studio 60 v2 use in my combi Music/HT set-up. only lately i decided to let it go and use the fund for other project.  :(  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2532 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 04:24 AM »
Wohoa! Nakaparadigm naman pala eh!  Those are a great set of speakers!  was just listening to a pair at the Paradigm showroom at Shang the other day.  It was just like Lisa Lauren was singing right in front of me!!! "then something happened to me, that's some kind of wonderful.........." ::)

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2533 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 04:10 PM »
nag-semi audiotion ako ng speakers kanina. nde ako audiophile so pasensya na hehe

Q-acous. 1020(tested w/o subs) - out of my price range. Pero very clear yung sounds nya pero kelangan ng subs para sa bass. parang mas-bagay sya sa music

wharfe 9.1 (tested w/o subs) - kht walang subs ok sya. good for both music and ht. Parang floorstander kung magperform. may nakasabay akong fellow pdvd member pero nde ko natanong yung name. 9.1 daw gamit nya dati at bitin nga daw yung sw150. he sugested us audio.

Mordaunt carnival 3(not sure basta yng bs) - parang talo sya sa quality ng sound compared sa wharf. parang loud lng sya. nung sinamahan ng carnival 9, nagimprove but I still prefer the wharfs

Mordaunt carnival 6/7 + carnival 9 - maganda sya pero umiiwas ako sa fs kc alanganin sa room ko at sa budget ko.

Jamo - tested several models, mura + pogi pero nde ko nagustuhan. yun lng hehe

So far, eto yung balak ko,

9cs
9dfs
cardinal 9? us audio?

subs nlng yung hindi ako makadecide. hindi ko pa natry yung sw150 pero based sa feedback dito, bitin daw. Patulong naman mga wharfe fanatics  ;D

Have you acquired a sub already? If not, try out the US Audio 512L MK2. I am using one with a 9.1 speakers for pure audio set-up and believe me with the right "timpla" of the sub, it's really a wonderful combo !! I find the US Audio more "gumagapang" (deeper bass) than dtx-4.15 and if you lower than xover setting to around 60-70hz, you will achieve the puch and faster transient most like in the DTX 4.15.
The nice thing about the US Audio, is, if you want a more softer bass then just raise the xover to around 100hz or set it to the highest level and let the avr sub-out xover do the filtering. Also, you will be surprised with its power ability.  ;)

By the way, I can really vouch for the excellent performance of the 9.1. It's really very transparent with a big and wide soundstage. I think its a lot better than my previous 9.2  and Pi10 for music. It's also warmer and has more natural timber in the highs than the MS 902i and AE Evo1. The only "catch" with the 9.1  is that, you should definitely have a good source and amp to drive it. Its a very tricky speakers to drive and very transparent to show inferior qualities of the upstream equipments. It would not show its maximum potentials when driven by an entry level receiver. Better use a integrated or 2ch power amp for music. It showed its capabilities when I partnered it with a tube pre-amp and a ss power amp. Adding the US Audio active sub, still, raised it to another level.Letting me feel like I'm listening to hi-end fs !! ;D Just my thought on this excellent 9.1.  ;)     

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2534 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 09:55 PM »
uy... boss allan. nabuo mo na pala ang ht setup mo. i can only imagine how good your 9.1 is currently sounding given na ang ganda naman nung pi-10 nung in-audition ko sa inyo.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2535 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 12:57 PM »
Hi gearhead! Actually downgrade me sa ht to a TEAC htib but substituted the teac sub with a US Audio sub at viola ! Prang separates narin tunog. Hehe ...  ::) The 9.1 is being used solely for music with the Sony power amp. Know what I discovered?! Dati dba naka straight un cdp sa power amp but I placed a tube pre-amp now at ang laki ng improvement specially sa soundstage at highs. Maybe this is one reason bakit parang mas ok itong 9.1 but kung nandito pa yung Pi10 baka ok din lalabas.  :)

Have you found the right speakers for your HK?  ;) 

Offline greyman

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2536 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 01:56 AM »
i recently got the new onkyo tx-sr605. my current speaker setup uses 5.1 wharfedale modus set except for the subwoofer. i'm using a 100watt sony active to replace the wharfedale passive subs.

i'm seriously considering replacing my speakers to get more out of my new receiver. i'm still happy with modus set though.

i'm looking at upgrading to the wharfedale diamond 9.1 biapmed for the fronts, 9cs, 9dfs and sw150.

as an option the mordaunt short avant set seems attractive, especially the 309 subs whose sound i like very much.

my question is will biamping the fronts sound better than getting a full 7.1 speaker system?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2537 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 02:54 PM »
Bi-amping as I know is using 2 amps to power your speakers HF & LF separately. The problem is onkyo 605 does not have pre-outs for power amps.

And if you are referring to the assignable bi-amp feature thats coming up on the recent receivers, I may be wrong but ImHO cant see how a receiver dividing its power rating into 7 channels from one power supply can give the results of a real bi-amp (w/ 2 power supplies). The feature only sounds like marketing strategy to me.

I have bi-amped my setup before but with a 5 channel power amp for the LF and my HK6 series for the HF, on all 3 front speakers. Words cant express how they sounded so eto na lang:

:o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2007 at 02:58 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2538 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 04:06 PM »
i recently got the new onkyo tx-sr605. my current speaker setup uses 5.1 wharfedale modus set except for the subwoofer. i'm using a 100watt sony active to replace the wharfedale passive subs.

i'm seriously considering replacing my speakers to get more out of my new receiver. i'm still happy with modus set though.

i'm looking at upgrading to the wharfedale diamond 9.1 biapmed for the fronts, 9cs, 9dfs and sw150.

as an option the mordaunt short avant set seems attractive, especially the 309 subs whose sound i like very much.

my question is will biamping the fronts sound better than getting a full 7.1 speaker system?

Baka bi-wiring ang ibig mong sabihin?  With bi-wiring, you need only one AVR..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline silhouette

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Bon Jour!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2539 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 05:47 PM »
My question is, is it woth bi-amping a bookshelf speaker like 9.1?  Or it is much appreciated on a little higher big brother speakers?  :)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2540 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 06:09 PM »
short answer, it won't hurt if you do. whether the difference is audible is the issue.

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2541 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 11:53 AM »
don't they look so mich like our babies...

these are the $1,000 per pair  ;D

Offline sanabagan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2542 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 02:19 PM »
guys, got a question....i've got diamond 9.2's for about 3 months now (coupled with a marantz 4500) and i've been playing it for about an hour each day. it sounds great, can play loud if you want, pretty warm characteristic....but i feel na kulang siya sa clarity/details kahit with original music cd's or even dvds...something which i heard from the demo units in shang and even in ambassador. tried changing positions, even tried playing it without the other speakers/sub pero ganun pa din. any other tips/suggestions? TIA

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2543 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
Ussually kasi sa mga showroom, maganda yung room acoustics + maganda yung av receiver + maganda yung cd player na gamit

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2544 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 02:47 PM »
oops, i was about to say that. the cd/dvd player plays a significant role in how the total system will sound. also, the diamond 9.2 isn't known for being detailed. if you read the full diamond 9 thread, it's even been said that it's "ngongo" although obviously this can be a very subjective impression.. the 9.1 is more detailed from what i've read so far. but then it has it's own set of 'problem', like needing a higher powered amp to really sing and extend its bottom end. trig is right also about the room acoustics. i have auditioned most my gears sa showroom (spectra, 5th avenue, SGT, audioworld, etc), and iba talaga pagdating sa bahay. i've learned to live with the shortcomings na lang.

for the meantime, you can take a look at your current player. ano na nga ba player mo ngayon?
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007 at 03:00 PM by gearhead »

Offline sanabagan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2545 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 08:00 PM »
thanks for the input. well, from the start naman i expected na iba talaga ang environment sa showroom altho nakapakinig nga ako sa ambassador na wala naman talaga audition/listening room and it sounded crisp and detailed to me at the time. they had a kenwood (?) avr and a pioneer player. mine is a philips dvd player (cant recall the model... it's the one with the usb).

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2546 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:19 PM »
as i suspected. i switched to a pioneer player from the philips 5500S and i'm quite happy with it. they say there's still some mileage to be had going with a dedicated player from the likes of NAD, CA Azur, Marantz, Denon, etc. i'm not there yet, but maybe soon???

(anyway, medyo OT na yata tayo. maybe you can post your query sa "setting up" thread (?) para we can dissect your dilemna in-depth).

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2547 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 07:41 AM »
Asul!

Beauteeeeeeeeeful speaker stands! :o

Offline sanabagan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2548 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 05:52 PM »
as i suspected. i switched to a pioneer player from the philips 5500S and i'm quite happy with it. they say there's still some mileage to be had going with a dedicated player from the likes of NAD, CA Azur, Marantz, Denon, etc. i'm not there yet, but maybe soon???

ganun? once you think you've completed your set-up, something comes up to telll you that it's not enough....haay, ito na yata yung sinasabi nilang once you're bitten, there's no going back/escape from the hobby... haaay!

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2549 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 12:19 PM »
guys, got a question....i've got diamond 9.2's for about 3 months now (coupled with a marantz 4500) and i've been playing it for about an hour each day. it sounds great, can play loud if you want, pretty warm characteristic....but i feel na kulang siya sa clarity/details kahit with original music cd's or even dvds...something which i heard from the demo units in shang and even in ambassador. tried changing positions, even tried playing it without the other speakers/sub pero ganun pa din. any other tips/suggestions? TIA

It may relate to room modes, modal ringing and reverberation time. Search the web and find more details about the topic. This is especially true for small rooms like mine (10ft x 16ft). From most articles that i've read, even the most high-end speakers will have skewed frequency response in small rooms which can result in lack of musical detail.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2007 at 12:20 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one