Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568468 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2640 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM »
Ok lang ba to pair the Diamond 9SR with my Monitor Audio BR fronts and center?  Not advisable ba?

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2641 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
newbie here,

i was wondering if wharfdale diamond 9 series speakers would perform well on mid level receivers such as the onkyo 605/705 or denon 2308/2808? may nabasa kasi ako sa ibang threads na whrfdales speakers are for entry level receivers daw?

The higher you go for receivers, the better speakers will sound. Thats a fact. And with more budget for higher quality parts, mid level receivers arent very choosy with their speaker pairing, and perform better in music & HT.

Just think about it... the wharfedale's awarded 5 stars were not acquired through using a $300 entry level receiver, they used high level receivers and power amps during the review! Thats the reality!

Ok lang ba to pair the Diamond 9SR with my Monitor Audio BR fronts and center?  Not advisable ba?

If I am not mistaken, the Audyssey EQ of your 2808 will balance any tonal mismatch between speakers, so you can get any brand surround speakers you want. Its the benefit you get for the audessey!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 at 01:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2642 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 02:30 PM »
The higher you go for receivers, the better speakers will sound. Thats a fact. And with more budget for higher quality parts, mid level receivers arent very choosy with their speaker pairing, and perform better in music & HT.

Just think about it... the wharfedale's awarded 5 stars were not acquired through using a $300 entry level receiver, they used high level receivers and power amps during the review! Thats the reality!

If I am not mistaken, the Audyssey EQ of your 2808 will balance any tonal mismatch between speakers, so you can get any brand surround speakers you want. Its the benefit you get for the audessey!

Thanks again MatZ.  This is again another reason not to change my rear speaker since there is a possibility Audyssey is performing a tonal balance between speakers kahit different brand.  Asteeeg!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 at 02:35 PM by Lancito »

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2643 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
hi guys, plan to buy Wharf 9.6, sa tingin nyo kaya ba i-drive ito ng NAD C320BEE? Thanks.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2644 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 04:29 PM »
hi guys, plan to buy Wharf 9.6, sa tingin nyo kaya ba i-drive ito ng NAD C320BEE? Thanks.

palagay ko u should go for 9.5, mahirap I drive ang 9.6

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2645 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 01:17 PM »
mahihirapan yang amp mo sir.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2646 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 02:05 PM »

The Diamond 9.6 has a sensitivity of 90db, one of the highest out there.  I don't see how it would be difficult to drive that with even a modest amp like the C320BEE.   And it is one of the few commercial mass hi-fi speakers that go down to 30hz.  NAD is also known to specify under strict FTC standards so its rated power is conservatively stated.  It can sound as powerful as many brands out there rated twice under JEITA standards or other non-FTC power measurements.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008 at 03:22 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2647 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
Well said AV_Phile1!

When purchasing the 9.6's the guy  got it from said "oh 9.6 easy to drive" ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2648 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 04:58 PM »
I remember one of the issues of TAS released, featured their stunning review on NAD325BEE + NAD525BEE + Dali Ikon 6 floorstander. The 325bee made the Dali sing due to its 90db sensitivity.

pero sakin, gagamitan ko ng at least 150wpc na power amp yang 9.6. 8)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2649 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 10:16 PM »
I think the C325BEE is just a later model of the older C320BEE that has the same 50watt RMS rating at 0.02% THD into 8 ohms from 20hz to 20kz.  It can be just as powerful as some brands rated at 120watts RMS at 1% THD into 6 ohms at 1khz. 

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2650 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
The Diamond 9.6 has a sensitivity of 90db, one of the highest out there.  I don't see how it would be difficult to drive that with even a modest amp like the C320BEE.   And it is one of the few commercial mass hi-fi speakers that go down to 30hz.  NAD is also known to specify under strict FTC standards so its rated power is conservatively stated.  It can sound as powerful as many brands out there rated twice under JEITA standards or other non-FTC power measurements.

thank you sir sa advice.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2651 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
Hi,

Anyone used wharfedales for 7.1 setup?  Ano po ang mga model na ginamit ninyo?  :)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2652 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM »
But despite the 90dB sensitivity of the 9.6, most low-powered AVRs is struggling to drive it. I've heard the 9.6 driven by Denon 1708 in Theatre Works and the first impression is "Ang nipis ng sound particularly the midrange for a floorstander". I guess it will reveal its potential when used together with a power amp.
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2653 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
The difference is in the power supply and the impedance dip of the speakers. As I have read in many magazines: Sensitivity is NOT= to sound quality.

Even with a 90db sensitivity, if the speakers dip to 4 ohms or below, more current is needed (where do you think they get the juice to power all those woofers & tweeters?). A receiver will not be up to the task of powering it, as they werent really built to handle 4 ohm loads well (except for pricey THX ultra models, they are big & heavy too). See HT buyer's guide mags, 90% of receivers do not have a 4 ohm rating.

Why? because of the limited power supply and heat dissipation.

But why can 2 channel integrateds handle them well when a "higher" power receiver cannot? Its in the power supply. Notice that torroidal power supplies are available even with 15k below integrateds but it will cost you 100+k flagship models for a 7.1 receiver with torroidal power supply. And they usually need 2 people to carry.

Also imagine the heat dissipation needed when a receiver heats up to power 4 ohm loads. I have been using receiver-power amp combinations for some time now and ALL 4 receivers I used as pure pre/pro heat up like mad just doing its processing job alone (no amplifier used yet). Imagine the heat a receiver will generate doing its pre/pro job PLUS powering 7 speakers, specially if they are 4 ohms or dip to 4ohms (w/c most speakers do btw)!

Thats why PRE OUTS were invented!  :D

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 10:37 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2654 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:02 AM »
You can't rely on paper specs of companies alone. Most are not accurate or have different methods of measurement. I have 2 friends with 9.6 and they also mentioned to me that they are a bit power hungry and really needs a good quality amplifier to sing. Though, another friend audition the 9.6 with a Melody tube intg. amp at ang ganda daw ng combo. Just don't know ilan watts yung tube amp.  :)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2655 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
specs are for guidance/reference but in the real world, amp/speaker matching may be different from what is expected if based on specs. ive seen/heard the legendary nad3020 20wpc amp drive AR9? 4ohm floorstanders (forgot the exact model), and read that it was happy driving electrostatics. it can also drive the legendary low sensitivity rogers ls3/5a, which many higher spec powered amp had a hard time driving.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2656 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
You can't rely on paper specs of companies alone. Most are not accurate or have different methods of measurement.

I agree : Audition is still the key. Buying based on specs alone is like choosing from a mail order bride catalog.  :D Audition your wife... este gear pala!

Impedance is one spec that is inaccurate at best. You can see 8ohm on paper but lab tests show them to dip to 4ohms or below. An 8ohm 91db sensitivity B&W speaker I was researching recently showed impedance dips to 2.56 ohms!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2657 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
specs are for guidance/reference but in the real world, amp/speaker matching may be different from what is expected if based on specs. ive seen/heard the legendary nad3020 20wpc amp drive AR9? 4ohm floorstanders (forgot the exact model), and read that it was happy driving electrostatics. it can also drive the legendary low sensitivity rogers ls3/5a, which many higher spec powered amp had a hard time driving.

that is because the specs you see from those user manuals are incomplete.  They are just summaries and most made to look good.  The more complete specs come from lab tests which show you at least the freq response plot across all frequencies, vs db and vs loads.  Specs done right have a direct correlation to the gear's performance.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2658 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
that is because the specs you see from those user manuals are incomplete.  They are just summaries and most made to look good.  The more complete specs come from lab tests which show you at least the freq response plot across all frequencies, vs db and vs loads.  Specs done right have a direct correlation to the gear's performance.

unfortunately, most of us dont have the expertise nor the instruments. in my case im just not too keen on reading all techie details- graphs lab reports etc about my gears. user manual/specs are the nearest the manufacturers get to "layman's terms".
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM by oweidah »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2659 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
I agree : Audition is still the key. Buying based on specs alone is like choosing from a mail order bride catalog.  :D Audition your wife... este gear pala!

Unless the audition is done where the gear will end up in, I am starting to question its intrinsic and relevant value as far as sound quality is concerned.  I have realized what you hear in AV showrooms will never be the same as what you hear at home.  (Similarly, it's always advisable to "audition" your would-be wife at home, meeting with your family and friends,  and getting to know her better during family dinners and get-togethers, right?  You don't marry her after meeting her once or twice in the office, do you?.  ;D)

Impedance is one spec that is inaccurate at best. You can see 8ohm on paper but lab tests show them to dip to 4ohms or below. An 8ohm 91db sensitivity B&W speaker I was researching recently showed impedance dips to 2.56 ohms!

That's why speaker literatures say it's "Nominal Impedance."  You really can't gauge a speaker's performance without looking at its Frequency Response plot.

And you're right, sensitivity has NO relation whatsoever with sound quality.  It's just an indication of efficiency in terms of sound pressure/input volts/meter.  Some of the 98db sensitive speakers I've encountered sounded awful.  Some measure it just a 400hz, 1khz, some with a pink noise.  But the latter is also misleading because the SPL readings at low frequencies can register high, bloating the figure.

Almost all speakers dip to 4 ohms and below and as high as 40ohms at certain frequencies. Some more than others. And many high end speakers can go down to 1ohm.  It's really a good thing to research and check if there are lab tests to have a better assessment of  the behaviour of speakers out there.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2008 at 02:14 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2660 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
unfortunately, most of us dont have the expertise nor the instruments. in my case im just not too keen on reading all techie details- graphs lab reports etc about my gears. user manual/specs are the nearest the manufacturers get to "layman's terms".

True, there's really not much point basing one's purchase decision on something one can't very well relate to.  We all have to do with what makes us justified in our decisions, be that based on technicals or preferences/biases or both.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2661 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
But despite the 90dB sensitivity of the 9.6, most low-powered AVRs is struggling to drive it. I've heard the 9.6 driven by Denon 1708 in Theatre Works and the first impression is "Ang nipis ng sound particularly the midrange for a floorstander". I guess it will reveal its potential when used together with a power amp.

What's the receiver's config?

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2662 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
will the diamond 9 go well with a mid-range yamaha or mid-range onkyo avr?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2663 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
Absolutely! even better than entry level AVR's. Go for the 700 series Onkyo or 1000 series Yamahas. They wont dissapoint.

Better to overpower (busog) than underpower (bitin).  ;D

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2664 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 03:28 PM »
Absolutely! even better than entry level AVR's. Go for the 700 series Onkyo or 1000 series Yamahas. They wont dissapoint.

Better to overpower (busog) than underpower (bitin).  ;D

I was thinking more of yamaha's 600 series, especially the commin up 663 or the 863 if I can save up the cash when they come out locally. I think that new x63 line up are a better match for onkyo's 700 sereis. Then just pick bet onkyo and yamaha.... den a power amp if my ears would look for it... hehe thanks for the inputs

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2665 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 04:54 PM »
I was thinking more of yamaha's 600 series, especially the commin up 663 or the 863 if I can save up the cash when they come out locally. I think that new x63 line up are a better match for onkyo's 700 sereis. Then just pick bet onkyo and yamaha.... den a power amp if my ears would look for it... hehe thanks for the inputs

Try also the mid-level Harman.  It also matches well with Wharfedale.  IMO, Harman Kardon matches well with most popular speaker brands (handy, in case you change your mind on the Wharfs). Just my 2 cents. ;)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline Moogster

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2666 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:03 PM »
How much are each set of this Diamonds sirs?

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2667 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 08:25 PM »
How much are each set of this Diamonds sirs?

try mo bro pm si boss Vic of "Sights and Sounds" bka meron sila nyan...
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2668 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
Yup, pretty complete  lineup at Sights and Sounds Shang.  Try them at Thaterowrks Trinoma, saw some there too.
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2669 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Try also the mid-level Harman.  It also matches well with Wharfedale.  IMO, Harman Kardon matches well with most popular speaker brands (handy, in case you change your mind on the Wharfs). Just my 2 cents. ;)

Try to contact Danrd, he is selling his mid level Harman 335 for just 22k, if anyone is interested.