Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568153 times)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2850 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 09:52 AM »
bad timing yata pag-post ko ng acquisition ko ng wharfes ah...mga dis-satisfied owners ang sumunod sa post ko.  :'( :'( ;D ;D
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2851 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 10:23 AM »

You're not the only one pre, hehe for me ok ang sounds ng 9 series but only just like that, oks lang... nothing so special... i still prefer the Crystal Series (especially Crystal 40), despite of its low sensitivity (86db), these series are better than the 9 series in terms of clarity and Musicality, especially if you'll feed these speakers with enough power, kailangan lang talaga for these set of speakers ok ang power na ibibigay mo for them to show their full potential, that's why i'm still thinking if i'm going to replace it with the 9 series... and for the 9.1 naman, i love its sounds, i've heard it many times na rin but i still prefer my Onkyo Liverpool D200II over the 9.1 (specification wise better din ang liverpool for a bookshelf speaker, 38hz-45Khz, 89db, 6ohms, 150watts max) that's why hindi ko rin maibenta 'to kahit vintage na :)

Well, that's just my own opinion mga sirs ;)

i've no issues with the 9.1, the 9.5 and the 9cs are by far the worst sounding HT speakers ive owned. I had to turn on the EQ and X-Over of my AVR to adjust it.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2852 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 10:40 AM »
bad timing yata pag-post ko ng acquisition ko ng wharfes ah...mga dis-satisfied owners ang sumunod sa post ko.  :'( :'( ;D ;D

hindi naman bad timing yan bro, we all have our own likes and dislikes and of course entitled to voice them out.  ;)

if you're happy and satisfied with your purchase then good for you! and congrats na din!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2853 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
Wow, congrats.  I just bought Wharfedale 9.5, 9CM and 9DFS.  Sounds good enough for me.  Average lang sya actually.  I find Paradigm monitor speakers better but the price is way too high so I just settled for Wharfedale as my first home theater speakers.  Besides, I can use the savings to buy a 50" plasma.  At its price point, Wharfedale is good enough.
I agree, theyre good enough but not better. Actually,I have issues the first time set them using audyssey. My onkyo 605 set the x-over setting at (9.5, 9cs, 9.1) full band w/ subwoofer double bass on at -12db, the sound is muddy at talagang pangit!!! I was able to tame it down when I manually tweak the x-over settings to 80hz but my problem now is the subs, I can hardly hear the boom. Dissatisfied that i also manually adjusted the volume of subs at -6db to compensate the double bass that was turned off when i adjusted the fronts at 80hz. Result was good but not great, sabi ko lang "AWESOME" because i'm fighting my SARS attack!!! ;D

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2854 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 11:15 AM »
Hey guys....congrats to all Wharf owners ;D  Be patient as this babies also require a looooong break-in period. 

When you say long break-in period... how long is "loooong"?  :D

I agree, theyre good enough but not better. Actually,I have issues the first time set them using audyssey. My onkyo 605 set the x-over setting at (9.5, 9cs, 9.1) full band w/ subwoofer double bass on at -12db, the sound is muddy at talagang pangit!!! I was able to tame it down when I manually tweak the x-over settings to 80hz but my problem now is the subs, I can hardly hear the boom. Dissatisfied that i also manually adjusted the volume of subs at -6db to compensate the double bass that was turned off when i adjusted the fronts at 80hz. Result was good but not great, sabi ko lang "AWESOME" because i'm fighting my SARS attack!!! ;D

What subwoofer are you using?  SW150 ba?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2008 at 11:20 AM by milken »

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2855 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 12:20 PM »

What subwoofer are you using?  SW150 ba?

US Audio. They're supposed to be boomy.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2856 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
US Audio. They're supposed to be boomy.

i'm sure you checked sub phasing...

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2857 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 01:47 PM »

All a matter of personal prefernce if you ask me ;D There will always be newer, more high tech choices, etc. out there.  Going on my second year with the wharfies and i'm very happy with them ;D  When you are alone, or with your firends, you have your favorite ice cold soda soda and buttered popcorn, dim the lights, turn on the A/C, Kick off your shoes, and pop in that favorite DVD of yours, It's only yourself you'll have to satisfy ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2858 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 01:52 PM »
All a matter of personal prefernce if you ask me ;D There will always be newer, more high tech choices, etc. out there.  Going on my second year with the wharfies and i'm very happy with them ;D  When you are alone, or with your firends, you have your favorite ice cold soda soda and buttered popcorn, dim the lights, turn on the A/C, Kick off your shoes, and pop in that favorite DVD of yours, It's only yourself you'll have to satisfy ;D

couldnt agree more bro blackie !!!

no unnescessary 'worst speaker' comment needed............. :D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2859 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 02:03 PM »
There you Go!!!
Way to go Wharfedale!!!!! :o :o :o

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2860 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 02:30 PM »

Precisely! Accurately! Exactly!  ;D ;D ;D

the only difference is that pag kasama ko barkada ko hindi ice cold soda and popcorn... ice cold BEER and plenty of plutan!... ;D ;D ;D ;D

There you Go!!!

GO! GO! GO! yahoooooo!
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #2861 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 02:51 PM »

All a matter of personal prefernce if you ask me ;D

i agree.

no unnescessary 'worst speaker' comment needed............. :D

amen to that.

There you Go!!!

indeed...go go go wharfedale!!!  ;D ;D ;D

what matters most is that you are satisfied with what you have. what's good for one may not be good for me and what sucks for a few sounds extremely good for us.    ::) ;) :D ;D
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline skylynx888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2862 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 03:08 PM »
im also a satisfied wharfedale owner  :D :D :D :D
started with the series 8 model, upgraded to 9 series [9.6/9cm/9dfs/9.1]

and i still have my 8.3 for my audio [ matched with cayin tube amp ] = total happiness  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2863 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 03:11 PM »
Hey guys....congrats to all Wharf owners ;D  Be patient as this babies also require a looooong break-in period.  That means that while you are contented with what you hear when its new,  it will still improve over time.  I have use the 9.5 for my stereo and am still retaining it.  Providing the Wharf with more power will make it sing more.

For the Wharf owners who have made tweaks please post your experience.....good and bad so we can learn and improve.

Wharfs are best bank for the buck.

Warm regards to all Wharfies

Nice to hear you still have the 9.5s. :) I changed the internal wires of my EVO 8 to Audience. The sound was cleaner and it seems the speakers got a little bit more life. Very noticable was the extension and crisp sound of the HF. Just what I was looking for. Very good results specially for HT use. I used to have 9.1, 9.2, CS and 9.5. I wasn't into tweaking back then. But if I still had them, I'd defenitely change the wires and caps. The wires used were like the ones you could see at raon. Not that they are bad, but I guess due to age, they get corroded. As per experience, there is a great deal of improvement when I changed the wires.

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2864 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:04 PM »

Well I did not acutally count the exact hours but I would say about 6 to 8 months and definitely more than 800 hours because as far as I remember I was using this speakers to break ion in Mundorf caps twice (300 hours x 2) plus my dialy listening sessions.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2865 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:11 PM »
what matters most is that you are satisfied with what you have. what's good for one may not be good for me and what sucks for a few sounds extremely good for us.    ::) ;) :D ;D

You're right indeed bro, iba-iba lang talaga ang panlasa ng bawat isa sa atin. But beware, once you go down deep into this hobby, you'll ask for more until you have nothing to spend, hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Hey, i'm also a wharfedale user, and wharfedale speakers really are bang for the bucks speakers, no doubt about that ;)

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:13 PM by reynold »
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2866 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:13 PM »
Nice to hear you still have the 9.5s. :) I changed the internal wires of my EVO 8 to Audience. The sound was cleaner and it seems the speakers got a little bit more life. Very noticable was the extension and crisp sound of the HF. Just what I was looking for. Very good results specially for HT use. I used to have 9.1, 9.2, CS and 9.5. I wasn't into tweaking back then. But if I still had them, I'd defenitely change the wires and caps. The wires used were like the ones you could see at raon. Not that they are bad, but I guess due to age, they get corroded. As per experience, there is a great deal of improvement when I changed the wires.

Jason

Your welcome Jason......The Wharfs are very practical for its price.  And if you love to tweak,  this would be a nice gear to tweak.  My take on wharfs is that they are warm sounding (british sound) and you can listen to them for long periods without tiring your ears.  The wharfs are not for all.....if you like extended highs, this may not be the speaker for you OR you may want to tweak it to suite your taste.  Bottom line is......the wharfs are affordable and can get anybody into the HT or audio hobby without breaking the bank.  Of course this is my opinion.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2867 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
once you go down deep into this hobby

Been there and back for so many times bro...

May naligaw pa na EVO series...

The type of firepower that was used...

:)

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2868 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 09:16 PM »

The type of firepower that was used...

Talk about Firepower!  Great Job Sir!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2869 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 09:26 PM »
eto yun 9.1 noon sa bundok...

wala pa 1 week nilalabas dito sa atin wayback 2005 and uses a different type of firepower... a fiery Dynaco ST70

subok din yan 9.1 sa different carts/needles/headshells...

Offline rony

• DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #2870 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 09:51 PM »

Kilala ko yan EVO na yan. Palagi naka downy yun pambalot na kumot dyan.  :D

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2871 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 11:20 PM »

Hi Nogie,

What sort of tweak was done on the x-over? 

Thanks and regards,
JoeyGS

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2872 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 08:31 AM »
ganda ganda ng Wharefedale EVO mo sir Jojo !!!

pm mo lang ako pag gusto mo na pa-ampon yan! ;D ;D ;D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2873 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
ganda ganda ng Wharefedale EVO mo sir Jojo !!!

pm mo lang ako pag gusto mo na pa-ampon yan! ;D ;D ;D

hindi po sa akin yan sir, kay KoYA Hans yan... madalas na bisitang pangdangal yan sa bundok pag may audio sessions!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2874 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
Yan ba yung floorstander shoot-out dati?

Ano na nga ba ang resulta doon?  Panalo yata ang Diamond 9.6?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2875 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 11:46 AM »
Yan ba yung floorstander shoot-out dati?

Ano na nga ba ang resulta doon?  Panalo yata ang Diamond 9.6?

Yan na nga yun sir, after that madami sa amin ang bumili ng Wharf pero meron din na iba ang binili like instead of getting a 9.1, ang kinuha is 9.2.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2876 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
Kaya nagtataka ako, it's the first time I've seen negative comments on this thread.

Hindi naman troller si sir ctlim.  Hindi lang niya nagustuhan, mukhang honest opinion naman.

Baka hindi bagay sa amp niya? 

I use a Yamaha receiver, and the sound is very good. Anong mga amps and receivers ang hindi bagay sa Wharfe? 

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2877 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 12:04 PM »
Kaya nagtataka ako, it's the first time I've seen negative comments on this thread.

Hindi naman troller si sir ctlim.  Hindi lang niya nagustuhan, mukhang honest opinion naman.

Baka hindi bagay sa amp niya? 

I use a Yamaha receiver, and the sound is very good. Anong mga amps and receivers ang hindi bagay sa Wharfe? 

Si ctlim pa... Siyempre entitled naman tayo lahat to whichever we like, ctlim is just being honest about his personal opinion.  ;)

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2878 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
Hi Nogie,

What sort of tweak was done on the x-over? 

Thanks and regards,
JoeyGS
Just the setting in the receiver from full band to 80hz after running Audyssey 2EQ. Tahimik muna ako, he he... I might get lambasted in this thread.But if there's a consolation, these set of wharfe's i owned are far better than my Bose AM10 I sold early this year. Peace!!! :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2879 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:33 PM »
Just the setting in the receiver from full band to 80hz after running Audyssey 2EQ. Tahimik muna ako, he he... I might get lambasted in this thread.

Ok lang.  The more inputs, the better.  ;)

Onkyo has a warm sound.  Wharfe also has a warm sound, due to its soft dome.  Matching the two will make the sound doubly warm.

OK lang sa mga gusto yung laid-back sound.  Ayaw nung iba: ngongo daw ang tunog, hinahanap yung crisper, more forward-sounding na output.

Baka mas bagay sa Onkyo ang metal dome like B&W, Monitor Audio or Mission; or Klipsch horns.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008 at 03:20 PM by barrister »