Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568403 times)

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2880 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
Sir Jojod,

Grabe that's alot of spending ha, hehe great items, i like the tube amp especially :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2881 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 03:16 PM »
basta ako, mag 2 years na akong nag-eenjoy sa all black Wharfe 9 series ko.. hehe..

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2882 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 06:35 PM »
May naligaw pa na EVO series...

jojo, naalala ko 2loy pang-aalaska kay koya hans sa bundok nun ah lalo na si j_albert nun...  ;D

proper matching lang talaga yan and let your ears decide, ksi eventually ikaw naman ang makikinig nyan

at karamihan sa kwela boys ay alam ko naka-wharf (common brand), ilan lang samin ata ang gumagamit ng ibang brand of speakers (para may variety)

at totoo ang sinabi ni jojo, daming shoot-outs na, been there done that na...

enjoy lang ng enjoy  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008 at 06:38 PM by james16 »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2883 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 06:53 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2008 at 02:51 PM by ctlim »

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2884 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 11:54 PM »
ctlim, thanks for being candid.  Everybody is entitled to voice out his opinion without fear or favor. I'm sure your comments would be helpful to other users and especially to prospective buyers.  It's nice to hear constructive criticism (or negative comment, if you want to call it that way) about the product.  Majority of the active people here are Wharfedale owners (past, present and prospective) so it's expected to hear mostly (but not always) praises about their purchase.  Who would want to bash/discredit their own piece of equipment bought by their hard-earned money? 

A critical review from a Wharfedale owner bears more weight than the praises of a hundred baised owner.  Just my thought. :D

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2885 on: Jul 05, 2008 at 08:55 AM »
unnecessary???

excuse me lang. but that was my "own" personal assessment of the speaker. unless you want to reprimand me by being my english and sociology professor. that is not an unnecessary comment.

This THREAD reads Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series speakers. It is open to BOTH POSITIVE and NEGATIVE comments. And I still own a 9cs and 9DFS, I have not gotten around to selling it after letting go of the 9.5.

I downgraded to Diamond 9s for my HT as I dont get to use it that much na as Ive been spending time and money on my audio set-up. I did that also because I've been reading this thread and was curious about its perceived Value for Money. Too bad, I did not get the satisfaction most of the people here did.

Now saying its an unnecessary comment?! PS: I am NOT a little boy para masabihan nyan.

AMEN...................
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline WaynedBrain

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2886 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
Hi Wharfedale gurus,

I got a 42 plasma, pio dv600 and an ordinary 5.1 desktop speakers with woofer(which I need to replace really soon). I really want to experience real surround sound but I don't know what brand to choose. i saw this thread and read good reviews on the 9 series. My room is about L15ft x W 11ft x H 8ft. I have no av amp pa pala.
I wish all speakers to be hung, most probably I'd get the 9.1. Wala na space sa tabi ng TV ko kc puro toys.

So what set of speakers should I buy first? I probably wont buy all of the speakers na 1 time big time. Please help...

I was thinking... buying my stuff in this order:
av amp
front
center/sub
surround(back)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2887 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
Hi Wharfedale gurus,

I got a 42 plasma, pio dv600 and an ordinary 5.1 desktop speakers with woofer (which I need to replace really soon). I really want to experience real surround sound but I don't know what brand to choose. i saw this thread and read good reviews on the 9 series. My room is about L15ft x W 11ft x H 8ft. I have no av amp pa pala.
I wish all speakers to be hung, most probably I'd get the 9.1. Wala na space sa tabi ng TV ko kc puro toys.

So what set of speakers should I buy first? I probably wont buy all of the speakers na 1 time big time. Please help...

av amp
front
center/sub
surround(back)

Receiver: depends on budget and preference (Marantz SR-3001 - usual recommendation of AV stores because of price and saleability, Onkyo 606/705, Denon 1508/1708/1908, etc.)

There are lots of brands of budget speakers to consider. For entry level, JBL, Jamo, Wharfedale, Mission, etc.  For extreme budget, you may want to check speakers in Raon.

If you really prefer Wharfedale as you said, you may want to consider:
Front:  9.1
Center: 9CS
Surround: 9SR
Sub: save for a better sub than SW150, if you like to watch action movies
[Check the brochure in Wharfedale's website.  They have recommended system based on room size.]

I think you can start with front speakers and sub.  Center and surround to follow.

Better if you audition the speakers you want to buy.  If you're coming from pc speakers, you'll find big improvement in sounds in entry-level speakers so it's probably enough for you in the meantime.  And if someday you want to indulge or upgrade, there are lots of better sounding but expensive speakers like B&W, Paradigm, Atlantic, Tannoy, PSB, Dynaudio, etc.  But with these speakers, you need a high-end receiver and probably a power amplifier to appreciate them more.  Hope this helps and don't take my word as gospel truth.  Always trust your ears.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2008 at 01:48 PM by milken »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2888 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
order i would take is:

av amp plus the front
center
surround
sub

or

av amp plus the front
sub
center plus surround

--depending on budget

av amp
front
center/sub
surround(back)

Offline kieron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • SKT Digital
  • Liked:
« Reply #2889 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
Hello guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade my home theater. Still contemplating which amp to buy. Onkyo TX-SR805/875.

Which Wharf diamond 9 series is perfect for my amp? no budget.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2890 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 06:45 PM »
Hello guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade my home theater. Still contemplating which amp to buy. Onkyo TX-SR805/875.

sir kieron,

if you are buying either the 805 or the 875, go for the best of the 9 series na. since budget is no object naman pala.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2891 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 07:09 PM »
Hello guys,

Konti lang model nila in the Diamond Series:
9.1 to 9.3 are bookshelf fronts
9.4 to 9.6 are floorstanders front
9cc, 9cs and 9cm are center speakers
9sr and 9dfs are surround speakers
SW150 and SW250 are subwoofers.

The top of the line of Wharf Diamond 9 series therefore are: 9.6 (fronts), 9cm (center), 9DFS (surround) and SW250 (sub)
I suggest you download their brochure for comparison and specs. Reference: http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/range.php?range_id=3

In the alternative, since you have a mid to high end receiver, maybe you may want to look at mid-end speakers too (P60-100T).
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008 at 10:26 AM by milken »

Offline kieron

• Collector
  • SKT Digital
  • Liked:
« Reply #2892 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 07:41 PM »
what speakers are best for the onkyo 805/875 except for the wharfs?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2893 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 07:58 PM »
what speakers are best for the onkyo 805/875 except for the wharfs?

pansin ko dito sir kieron, mga naka onkyo, madami naka mission. if you look at this section, there is a new mission line mv series, halos ka presyo na ng wharfs, but if you want high end mission meron din yung mission na 7series yata.

Offline kieron

• Collector
  • SKT Digital
  • Liked:
« Reply #2894 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 08:13 PM »
pansin ko dito sir kieron, mga naka onkyo, madami naka mission. if you look at this section, there is a new mission line mv series, halos ka presyo na ng wharfs, but if you want high end mission meron din yung mission na 7series yata.

sorry to ask sir, pero pwede mag pa tulog ng mga models? medyo newbie ako interms of audio.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2895 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
sorry to ask sir, pero pwede mag pa tulog ng mga models? medyo newbie ako interms of audio.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=4155.1260

subukan mo yung above site. may picture and price narin, the prices were quoted by sir vic of sights and sounds shangrila. both high end and entry level missions are posted. happy haunting.  ;D

Offline WaynedBrain

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2896 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 04:37 AM »
Receiver: depends on budget and preference (Marantz SR-3001 - usual recommendation of AV stores because of price and saleability, Onkyo 606/705, Denon 1508/1708/1908, etc.)

There are lots of brands of budget speakers to consider. For entry level, JBL, Jamo, Wharfedale, Mission, etc.  For extreme budget, you may want to check speakers in Raon.

If you really prefer Wharfedale as you said, you may want to consider:
Front:  9.1
Center: 9CS
Surround: 9SR
Sub: save for a better sub than SW150, if you like to watch action movies
[Check the brochure in Wharfedale's website.  They have recommended system based on room size.]

I think you can start with front speakers and sub.  Center and surround to follow.

Better if you audition the speakers you want to buy.  If you're coming from pc speakers, you'll find big improvement in sounds in entry-level speakers so it's probably enough for you in the meantime.  And if someday you want to indulge or upgrade, there are lots of better sounding but expensive speakers like B&W, Paradigm, Atlantic, Tannoy, PSB, Dynaudio, etc.  But with these speakers, you need a high-end receiver and probably a power amplifier to appreciate them more.  Hope this helps and don't take my word as gospel truth.  Always trust your ears.  ;D

Thanks for our inputs; Can you give me a rough estimate of the sub n speakers if possible?

Offline WaynedBrain

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2897 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 04:39 AM »
order i would take is:

av amp plus the front
center
surround
sub

or

av amp plus the front
sub
center plus surround

--depending on budget

Thanks, I'll check if my budget will accommodate receiver and fronts.. Hehe! Di naman ako nagmamadali. Appreciate your response btw.

Offline jetstar

• Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2898 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 05:02 AM »
I'm using a Yamaha RX-V361 and just ordered a Polk Audio PSW110. My room is around 16 sq.m. Will Diamond 9.1 sound better than 9.2 or 9.3? I will not have the opportunity to try it first in my room 'coz I don't live in Manila. I'll be using it to our bedroom's HT setup. I've read here that mids and highs sound better with 9.1 compared to 9.2. Is that true? I need your inputs because it would be very expensive if I'll make the wrong choice (shipment, time, etc.). Will 9.3 sound better in playing music with the sub-woofer turned off? What about mids and highs of 9.3 compared to 9.1? Can my entry level receiver drive the 9.3? Thanks in advance. :)
Yamaha-Wharfedale
PolkAudio-LG 3D-Sony-AppleTV
Onkyo-Aurum Cantus-Pioneer Elite- LG UHD
MonitorAudio

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2899 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
Hi Everyone!help naman pls. I have a onkyo 604 and planning to get wharf speakers. balak ko sana is 9.1,9cs,9sr and sw150. I gont know kung bagay ang wharfe sa onkyo and based sa nabasa ko medyo bitin dw ung sw150. any suggestions?kasi wala akong budget for trial and error e. this is my first ht pala and sa sala ko ilalagay. approximate size is 10ft by 10ft siguro. ???

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2900 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 10:38 AM »
Would shop around for a sub,

SW reviews usually lackluster.  I can vouch for performance of the 9.1 great for HT and music ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2901 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
@kieron:  It's difficult to recommend which speakers are best for Onkyo 805/875 since only a few members in this thread have those high-end receivers.  Try to look at the set-up of fellow members using Onkyo 875 like MatZER, danrd and highwayman.  Use the search function.

@WaynedBrain: I'm not familiar with prices of the models you want since I only inquired those I bought: 9.5, 9cm and 9DFS.  I have big room kasi. The SRP of SW150 is P9,000.00 I think.  Just call up any av stores for pricing since most of them sell it in their SRP.  I got mine for less since I also bought plasma and subwoofer.  I can recommend you the store where I bought mine if interested.

@defjam:  I agree with blackie that bitin ang SW150. I've auditioned it and don't like it.  Polk Audio 10" or 12" subs are better than SW150.  Actually there are other better subs out there (mid-range).  But, I followed the recommendation of ericag_ph and the av store I bought from, and ordered Velodyne CHT-12R subwoofer.  It's a high-end sub and costs more than all my other speakers combined.  :D
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008 at 11:34 AM by milken »

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2902 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 03:19 PM »
Hi Everyone!help naman pls. I have a onkyo 604 and planning to get wharf speakers. balak ko sana is 9.1,9cs,9sr and sw150. I gont know kung bagay ang wharfe sa onkyo and based sa nabasa ko medyo bitin dw ung sw150. any suggestions?kasi wala akong budget for trial and error e. this is my first ht pala and sa sala ko ilalagay. approximate size is 10ft by 10ft siguro. ???

any comments sa onkyo wharfe combo?ok ba sha for ht?for movies ko lang sha mainly gagamitin and ps3. any suggestions pala about sa sub na pasok sa budget of around 8k? ???

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2903 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
Add a bit for the sub and you can get the 10incher from Polk. ::)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2904 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 05:25 PM »
@defjam, oks naman onkyo-wharfe set up mo for HT. I agree with blackie, you have to extend your budget on sub.  The last time I asked (2 weeks ago), Jamo sub 200W is cheaper around P6.5T, Wharfe's SW150 is P9T; Polk Audio's 10" is around P12T and 12" is around P15T.  Good luck bro!  :D

Offline tuscany

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2905 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 05:59 PM »
When I was looking around for subs, I listened to the SW 150, Klipsch rsw 10, cht10r, Usher 10 inch (forgot the model) and Mordaunt Short 909 (12 inches). While I initially liked the Klipsch because of its slam compared to the other 10 inchers , I ended up buying the Mordaunt Short (MS) when I heard it because the slam of the 12 incher is really way farther than the 10s. The Usher was also impressive because of its speed but could not compare with the slam of the MS.

The SW 150 was way cheaper than the others, which were all within the same price class, so it was not surprising that it had the least impact. Although, for music purposes, I would say that it should be sufficient unless you listen to deep bass music.

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2906 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 08:33 PM »
how about the quality of usaudio or dyna compared to the sw150?medyo around 8k lang talaga pasok sa budget e.sorry sa ot. ;D

Offline blue_123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2907 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 09:46 PM »
how about the quality of usaudio or dyna compared to the sw150?medyo around 8k lang talaga pasok sa budget e.sorry sa ot. ;D

Bro galing na ako sa usaudio and dyna, for me mas maganda pa yung sw150 but if i were you if you have extra cash to spare might as well buy a mid ranged sub to prevent you from upgrading again in the future (double gastos pa  :)) Velodyne CHT10 or VX10 S2 or polk audio of course you need to audition muna what you like better, just my 2 cents  ;) Happy Hunting

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2908 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
sorry to papa XXXyzledge for my remarks. I misread the quotes.  :-X

let me clear what I said:
1) i said they are the worst sounding speakers "IVE OWNED" pertaining to the 9.5 and the 9cs
2) i am satisfied with the performance of the DFS and marveled by the 9.1
3) Ive had to adjust the x-over and eq of my amp to correct the sound of the 9.5 and the 9cs (which I have never done on my previous speakers)

and let me state and this is my personal take on the speaker as an owner. to some, with different preferences on music output, these might be the best that they've heard. (even when compared to higher, more expensive brands)

;D

Offline kieron

• Collector
  • SKT Digital
  • Liked:
« Reply #2909 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 06:59 PM »
SW250 is 20k. Meron pa ba mas maganda na sub for this? I'm planning to get:

Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 (Front)
Wharfdale Diamond 9CM (Center)
Wharfdale Diamond 9DFS (Rear Surround)
Wharfdale Diamond 9DFS (Side Surround)

for my setup. Which subwoofer is best for this setup? I heard medyo kulang ang SW250?