Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568408 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3000 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
Do not remove gold plate.

sir i mean, where do i connect it, in HF or LF? thanks

Offline natosan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3001 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
it's HUGE!!!! Drawfs the 9.1s in appreciation which is one of my concerns as well. great improvement on the sound over 9cs though..

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3002 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM »

sir i mean, where do i connect it, in HF or LF? thanks

Will not matter.  The gold plate serves as the connector so that both your LF and HF will work.  Take it out then you miss out on one of the frequencies.
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3003 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
^^^ thanks sir for the quick reply :)

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3004 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
Cheers! 

Good luck on the setup ;D

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3005 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM »
it's HUGE!!!! Drawfs the 9.1s in appreciation which is one of my concerns as well. great improvement on the sound over 9cs though..

Have 9.6's for the front so I think they'll be a pretty good match.  Have not had the chance to audition the CM yet though......Hope to be able to do so soon ;D  Baka we can get a discount if group buy (don't know if two buyers is counted as a group buy.hehe)? ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3006 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 06:13 PM »
Have 9.6's for the front so I think they'll be a pretty good match.  Have not had the chance to audition the CM yet though......Hope to be able to do so soon ;D 

Ayos na ayos ang CM sa 9.6 sir.  Wharfedale recommends the match:

LARGE SYSTEM – 5.1

Front – 2 x Diamond 9.6
Rear – 2 x Diamond 9.DFS
Centre – 1 x Diamond 9.CM
Subwoofer – SW250

From Diamond 9 brochure (see page 13): http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/brochure_3.pdf
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008 at 06:16 PM by barrister »

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3007 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 07:41 PM »
for me, the center speaker is the most important in a home theater because all dialogue come from that speaker.  it's the speaker that will be used most especially if you like to watch drama and comedy.  besides, ang laki ng front mo 9.6 baka malunod yung sounds galing sa center mo.  hehe. :D  get the biggest center speaker of wharfe for better match.  :D
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008 at 07:43 PM by milken »

Offline mercury724

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #3008 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 09:13 PM »
way back when, I was choosing between the 9.1 and 9.2, i chose the 9.2 kasi gusto ko abot sa kitchen yung sound  ::) however, when connected sa marantz AVR at home, the speakers did okay on jazz and vocals but not on rock, symphonics, hip-hop/rnb. plus, medyo muddy ang bass. pero syempre, malaking factor din ang room acoustics and related gears mo, so my impressions are still applicable only to my setting. like most gurus say, auditioning is the key (much better if you can test in your house with your gear  ;D ). HTH   
salamat sir for the fyi. will be auditioning first the 9.1 and 9.2.

That's right, 9.2 is a bit murky in bass parformance due to bigger bass driver that is not timbre-matched well with high-mid speakers drivers. 9.1 has better tonal balance divers. 9.1 sings well in music and video.

sir vic, hindi ba mas maliit yung 9.1 how would the 9.1 sound at higher volume? and how about the 9sr, would this be enough for a 25 to 30 sq. meter room along with the 9.1?
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008 at 09:18 PM by mercury724 »
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3009 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM »
this may sound too dumb a question but i'll ask it anyway, where do i connect my standard wires in my 9.1? i'm not gonna use the "bi-wire" method, just a simple connection.... it has HF + - and LF +-... thanks in advance :)
sidewinder,

Bro, I would recommend that you replace the "gold plates" with 16 or 18 gauge wires. I'm using 9.1 paired with onkyo tx-sr502. When I replaced the gold plates the highs did improved, mas dinig na ang kalising. Unexpectedly, I also heard improvements on the low freq. Mas bumilog ang bass, unlike before na a bit muddy ang sound. Try to experiment lang replace the gold plates, bi-wire, bi-amp etc...

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3010 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM »
salamat sir for the fyi. will be auditioning first the 9.1 and 9.2.
sir vic, hindi ba mas maliit yung 9.1 how would the 9.1 sound at higher volume? and how about the 9sr, would this be enough for a 25 to 30 sq. meter room along with the 9.1?
  at 25 to 30sqm, u should go for 9.6. Masyado maliit ang 9.1. My room is abt 12x 16ft and medyo tama lang ang 9.1. Now thinking of auditioning 9.5 pa nga.   

Offline jetstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3011 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 02:23 AM »
Wharfedale @ CES 2008 With 9.1 75th Anniversary Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOC_9NzWgmE
Yamaha-Wharfedale
PolkAudio-LG 3D-Sony-AppleTV
Onkyo-Aurum Cantus-Pioneer Elite- LG UHD
MonitorAudio

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3012 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 04:23 AM »
Contemplating on getting the Cm too.  It's one big speaker ;D  Might have challenges space wise. 

im currently using a 9CM. space wise it fits perfectly on my rack and aesthetically it looks great!

You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline mercury724

• Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #3013 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 09:43 AM »
  at 25 to 30sqm, u should go for 9.6. Masyado maliit ang 9.1. My room is abt 12x 16ft and medyo tama lang ang 9.1. Now thinking of auditioning 9.5 pa nga.   
pero mukhang masyadong malaki na yung mga 9.4,9.5,9.6 my main problem is not much space to put the FS.
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #3014 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:08 AM »

Before you decide which speaker is best for the room, you need to determine 2 things: 1. How big is the throwing distance of the speakers you are considering to buy. 2. What is your listening preference for the speakers--for music and movie or purely for movie?

You have a big room of 30sq meters. Is this a dedicated home-theater room where speakers should be big enough to fill up the room? If this is so, then you have no other option but to get a bigger set-up speakers like 9.6 front, 9cm center, a pair 9DFS (side or rear) surround, an option (if you are considering 7.1 set-up) of another pair 9DFS for rear-surround, and a powered sub of 12 to 15".

With the above set-up, a pair of front floorstanding speakers becomes fitting for both movie and music. It can excel music because when the receiver is switch to either stereo or pure audio mode--when subwoofer and other surround speakers were cut-off--, the 9.6 becomes a dedicated pair of stereo speaker system that can handle the whole spectrum of musical frequency.

If, however, you have a big room, but your home-theater listening area is in one corner, you may opt for a smaller set-up: a pair of front bookshelf either 9.2 or 9.1, 9cs center, 9dfs surround, and a powered sub of either 8 or 10". Unless your preference is to listen to whole spectrum of music, you don't need a floorstanding to fill in your small corner of movie watching.

So you see, the decision of buying the right speakers should be based on your requirement and purpose. Added to this is your taste. If your taste is just as good as mine, you will find 9.1 to sound better than 9.2. 9.1 sounds more detail and transparent; it sounds also richer and warm. If you are into music and movie, you may want 9.1 to occupy your small space. 9.2 will be your last option for movie watching at a bigger space irregardless of better sound quality.

By the way, the 9SR is applicable for surround, though it can also be used as 5 units small satellite home-theater set-up. The 9SR is for home-theater use, not exciting for music.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM by E-reply »

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3015 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 04:12 PM »
im currently using a 9CM. space wise it fits perfectly on my rack and aesthetically it looks great!

Nice rack you have ther John E.  That's exactly my problem.  I do not have one.  The center speaker I have now sits in front of the tv.  Just about enough so that I see the whole screen :-\

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3016 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 04:20 PM »
check-out pinoy bazaar ctlim76/mr.wang (christian) is selling his sabre luna at 2.5k http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com/a-v-bazaar-f4/sabre-a-v-rack-cheap-t1218.htm this retails at 4.5k sulit na sulit na and sakto sa 9cm  ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3017 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the help JohnE.  Appreciate it! ;D

Cheers,

Black

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3018 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 06:06 PM »
pero mukhang masyadong malaki na yung mga 9.4,9.5,9.6 my main problem is not much space to put the FS.

where do you intend to place your bookshelf speakers? i was planning to buy speakers stands but then i realized that it will occupy the same amount of space as FS so I plan to audition FS to see if my room is big enough without making the FS sound boomy.

Offline mercury724

• Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #3019 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:11 AM »
where do you intend to place your bookshelf speakers? i was planning to buy speakers stands but then i realized that it will occupy the same amount of space as FS so I plan to audition FS to see if my room is big enough without making the FS sound boomy.
be putting it in my masterbedroom, sabagay i'm planning to use a speaker stand rin. hmm...you have a good point natosan, same space rin naman ang ma-gagamit kung FS except if i wall mount it. ;) well, i guess might as well audition the fs. :D
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3020 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
be putting it in my masterbedroom, sabagay i'm planning to use a speaker stand rin. hmm...you have a good point natosan, same space rin naman ang ma-gagamit kung FS except if i wall mount it. ;) well, i guess might as well audition the fs. :D

my set-up is also in our bedroom  . hirap mag wall mount ng front speakers. 1) holes in the wall 2) no flexibility sa speaker positioning; if you get it wrong = more holes in the wall.  :(

i'll be replacing my avr first and see if i'm satisfied my the full potential of the 9.1. otherwise, i'm upgrading to 9.5.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #3021 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
my set-up is also in our bedroom  . hirap mag wall mount ng front speakers. 1) holes in the wall 2) no flexibility sa speaker positioning; if you get it wrong = more holes in the wall.  :(

Hahaha! Totoo yan! Kahit yung karpintero namin nahirapan ikabit yung DFS eh.   ;D

Offline mercury724

• Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #3022 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:29 AM »

i'll be replacing my avr first and see if i'm satisfied my the full potential of the 9.1. otherwise, i'm upgrading to 9.5.
medyo malayo ang price ng 9.4 & 9.5, ok rin ba ang 9.4? well, sa surrounds i cant decide rin dfs? or 9.1? or 9sr? would'nt want holes all over the wall. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:31 AM by mercury724 »
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3023 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM »
9.1 na ;D

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3024 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
medyo malayo ang price ng 9.4 & 9.5, ok rin ba ang 9.4? well, sa surrounds i cant decide rin dfs? or 9.1? or 9sr? would'nt want holes all over the wall. ;D
i auditioned the 9.4 before, medyo boomy. or baka dahil sa room acoustics, kaya ganun. sa surrounds , i'm using dfs. comparing against my onkyo fixed surround, mas gusto ko talaga ang dipole (dfs). konti lang price diff vs sr. kaya lang wall mount talaga. no experience using 9.1 as surrounds since i don't have the space. i heard you don't need the low frequencies that much for your surrounds.

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3025 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
guys need your expert advise, is it ok to pair a a WH2 center sa 9.1 fronts ko? thanks in advance

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3026 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM »
i auditioned the 9.4 before, medyo boomy. or baka dahil sa room acoustics, kaya ganun. sa surrounds , i'm using dfs. comparing against my onkyo fixed surround, mas gusto ko talaga ang dipole (dfs). konti lang price diff vs sr. kaya lang wall mount talaga. no experience using 9.1 as surrounds since i don't have the space. i heard you don't need the low frequencies that much for your surrounds.

When i auditioned 9.4, found it boomy too. Malayo na sa walls yun, boomy pa rin. Wanted to auditioned 9.5 but decide to save up the money to invest into a good sub tipo velo cht-10. Can vouch for the dfs as well. Malaki nga lang. Bigger than the 9.1.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3027 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM »
guys need your expert advise, is it ok to pair a a WH2 center sa 9.1 fronts ko? thanks in advance

No. 

If you already have a 9.1 pair, then it would be better to get a 9.CS for your center speaker.

It's advisable to get a center speaker from the same model and series to make sure that the set is voice-matched as closely as possible for sound field consistency. 

Otherwise, when the sound pans from left to right, the sound will change considerably as it moves from from left to center to right channel.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2008 at 12:54 AM by barrister »

Offline lrdcly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3028 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM »
guys, help naman.. la kasi ko time mag audition.

im planning to buy wharfe 9.5, 9cm and 9sr. ok ba to if paired with denon 1508?
il use it for movies and gaming and ill be placing it in my room (4x5m)
tia!

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #3029 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
guys, help naman.. la kasi ko time mag audition.

im planning to buy wharfe 9.5, 9cm and 9sr. ok ba to if paired with denon 1508?
il use it for movies and gaming and ill be placing it in my room (4x5m)
tia!

Denon AVR1508 is an entry level that complement well with Wharfedale. Wharfedale 9.5, 9cm and 9sr is just right, but if you want a more immerse surround, you may wish to avail dipole 9DFS. Dipole speakers take advantage of reflected sound to create a wider soundfield, and they provide greater speaker placement flexibility.

For further inquiry, visit Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. Or call 6341789 to 90, mobile 09175413491.