Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568226 times)

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3150 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 08:01 PM »
used to be at 9k but can sell it now at 8.8k. :)

Thanks, avshop.
I have an all-Wharfe HT and this just might complete it  :)

Offline moks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3151 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM »
if i were you i would look for a velodyne sub kahit na yung entry level nila yung VX-10 series II na sub. you're better off with that.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3152 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:57 PM »
Thanks, avshop.
I have an all-Wharfe HT and this just might complete it  :)

just let me know. i try to keep my overhead low so that i can give good prices to my clients. all my items (jbl, infinity, wharfedale, klipsch, denon and harman kardon) are from the local distributor so warranty is not a problem. :)

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3153 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 08:11 AM »
Thanks, Blackie.
What would you suggest within that price range?
NOt to sure how much it costs the SW150,

More of why I suggested you look for another brand is the reviews that I have read re: this subwoofer. A lot of members here are pretty pleased with thier USAudio's and DQ12's.  If you have a little more to spend there a re a lot of higher end models that you can choose from.  What I would  suggest is you audition. Audition, audition, audition ;)  Check also the buy and sell thread.  Got a lucky break there from another member, with the sub I am using now.  Have you heard of the Polk Audio PSW 110 and 125?  Great reviews and I'm guessing you won't have to spend as much. Will you use it for Audio or primarily HT? How big is your room? Lots of things to consider :D :D :D 
Hope this helps,

Good luck on the hunt :D

Blackie
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3154 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
The SW150 is ok for small rooms and low volume listening. But if you watch movies at high volume, I would suggest you follow sir blackie's advice of looking elsewhere. You can try the Velo VX-10, I'm not sure about the price range though.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 at 09:36 AM by jojitv »
SARS!!!

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #3155 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 03:09 PM »
Thanks, Blackie.
What would you suggest within that price range?

If you have a bigger room and want to have more feel of sub bass, you may opt for either Velodyne VX10 or Polk Audio PSW110.

You may want to audition these sub with the Wharfedale speakers, which are available at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.  :D
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008 at 03:13 PM by E-reply »

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3156 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
sir wala pa walnut?

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3157 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
9.1s for the rear :D

anong color ang 9.1 na ito?

btw, anong 2 channel integrated amp and CDP ang match with Wharfedale 9.1?

:)
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2008 at 07:06 PM by flak-jacket »

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3158 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 07:10 PM »
got my 9.1 rosewood waiting for the 9.5 magiging rear nalang sya hehe

saan nabili yung speaker stand mo and gaano siya kataas? thanks!

Offline legalypogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3159 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 07:04 AM »
sight and sounds shangrila 24 inches 2.5k

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3160 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
ok lan ba ang HK AVR 135 sa 9CS and 9.5?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #3161 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:53 AM »
its cherry colored sir  ;)

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3162 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 03:10 PM »

btw, anong 2 channel integrated amp and CDP ang match with Wharfedale 9.1?

:)

nad or rotel amps/cdp will do...

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3163 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
nad or rotel amps/cdp will do...

eh yun st70?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline oyie_delapaz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3164 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 08:38 PM »
Mga sirs, meron ba repair center ang wharf dito sa Pinas where I can have my active sub (wharf) fixed?

Thanks.

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3165 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 12:35 AM »
Mga sirs, meron ba repair center ang wharf dito sa Pinas where I can have my active sub (wharf) fixed?

Thanks.

let me check with the distributor. what's wrong with the sub?

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3166 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 02:56 PM »
wala pa rin ba yung walnut color?

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3167 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 03:07 PM »

Offline keldomingo77

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3168 on: Dec 05, 2008 at 03:22 PM »
Hello po, im a newbie to HT..pardon me for this question, What will happen if i used wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers to an HTIB (samsung HTZ210K) ...im planning to go separates but kapos pa sa budget, i recently bought an LCD TV and an HTIB..kaya baka bili muna wharfedale speakers then ipon para sa new receiver...Tnx in advance

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3169 on: Dec 05, 2008 at 04:02 PM »
Hi Kel,

Not familiar with specs of the HTIB, but I am assuming this is where your speakers are connected tot he back of your DVD player too right?  Maybe you would like to familiarize yourself with the specs of the player? What kind of Diamonds are you planning on getting? I think that you will not be able to maximize the potential of your speakers if it is not a dedicated receiver that drives them. (Not even sure if they will work at all :D)  Why don't you save up for an entry level receiver? There are a lot of good deals on second hand receivers at the Buy and Sell forum of Pinoydvd as well.  Same goes for the speakers.  Since you just recently got the new TV and HTIB, why don't you maximize that first, while saving up for better gear.  Believe me there will always be room for tweaks and upgrades in the future.

Cheers and Hope this helps,

Black :D

Offline keldomingo77

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3170 on: Dec 05, 2008 at 05:27 PM »
Thanks Black...you're probably right, i will just maximize my htib for the moment while saving for a dedicated receiver and speakers...like many of the members here i was affected by the itch to upgrade right away since i bought my small HT gears and once i saw other members HT set ups here ;D

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3171 on: Dec 06, 2008 at 01:41 AM »
Rest assured that if and when you decide to take that bigger step,

There will be members more than willing to help out here ;D

Cheers!

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3172 on: Dec 10, 2008 at 05:57 PM »
have good deals on the wharfedale diamond 9 series. pm me if interested. :)

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3173 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 04:26 PM »
Hi everybody,

I just finished setting my first ht.  I have the denon 1909 paired with 9.1, 9cs and 9dfs.  Hope you could help me some issues.  First is that after a week of tweaking around with the system, I noticed that whenever i reach high volume levels, like -10 to -7db, i sometimes hear a crackling sound with the 9.1s.  is this caused by the source, the receiver's processing or is the speaker busted in some way?

I have tried dvds and cds, and the crackling sound (its not that loud but its perceptible) occurs everytime i crank up the volume particularly when it reaches the aforesaid level, although the crackling is just intermittent nakaka oc pa rin.  Parang may pumutok pumutok tas nawawala then it comes back everytime you crank it up more then when I turn down the volume nawawala naman and to my inexperienced ears the sound quality and detail again becomes normal.  I really never watch movies or listen to music at this level, but the thought that there is something wrong with the speakers bothers me not to mention that i can still have it replaced under its warranty. 

The thing is that the crackling sound is not consistently there, paminsan naririnig mo paminsan hindi even if it reaches the said volume level. parang sinusumpong lang. Pag normal volume naman (what i mean is its loud but not harshly loud) the sound quality is always ok, the problem only sometimes sometimes and not everytime it hits the said volume level. 

Please give me your thoughts and possible solutions to this problem. appreciate it greatly.

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3174 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
Hi everybody,

I just finished setting my first ht.  I have the denon 1909 paired with 9.1, 9cs and 9dfs.  Hope you could help me some issues.  First is that after a week of tweaking around with the system, I noticed that whenever i reach high volume levels, like -10 to -7db, i sometimes hear a crackling sound with the 9.1s.  is this caused by the source, the receiver's processing or is the speaker busted in some way?

I have tried dvds and cds, and the crackling sound (its not that loud but its perceptible) occurs everytime i crank up the volume particularly when it reaches the aforesaid level, although the crackling is just intermittent nakaka oc pa rin.  Parang may pumutok pumutok tas nawawala then it comes back everytime you crank it up more then when I turn down the volume nawawala naman and to my inexperienced ears the sound quality and detail again becomes normal.  I really never watch movies or listen to music at this level, but the thought that there is something wrong with the speakers bothers me not to mention that i can still have it replaced under its warranty. 

The thing is that the crackling sound is not consistently there, paminsan naririnig mo paminsan hindi even if it reaches the said volume level. parang sinusumpong lang. Pag normal volume naman (what i mean is its loud but not harshly loud) the sound quality is always ok, the problem only sometimes sometimes and not everytime it hits the said volume level. 

Please give me your thoughts and possible solutions to this problem. appreciate it greatly.

Umaabot ka na ata sa clipping regions ng amplifier mo, ibig sabihin kinakapos na ng power at the required volume levels. Don't do that often because it will kill your speaker. You may hear it sometimes, and sometimes no, this is because audio is very dynamic. I tried monitoring how much power goes into a speaker and the meter constantly flickers.

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3175 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 06:34 PM »
Hi everybody,

Was just wondering how the calibration on your sysytem was made.  Who did it? What equipment was used? was it a manual calibration?  references? calibration discs?  It does seem that your speakers are clipping, but it is quite odd since you have a high power receiver and it is just the 9.1 fo the fronts?  the 1909 should be more than capable than driving those (understatement in fact)  have you observed your power light blinking at any time? then experienced a sudden shut off? how are your speaker wires terminated? how are they  inserted at the back of the receiver? into the speakers? my impression based on your description is that your speakers are working too hard when in fact they shouldn't :-\ I wouldn't bring the volume level that loud if you continue to experience this. Yes, your precious gear could bet damaged.

Please continue to give feedback as I am sure those more knowledgeable will be able to help you further ;)

Cheers and Goodluck on this challenge of yours.

Blackie

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3176 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 08:42 PM »
ok, the replies were very informative. a few days after i finished connecting the wires, basically setting the gears up, there was one incident where after turning on the receiver, mataas na pala ung volume level, i was playing a cd then, dahil sa gulat, i turned the master volume knob without looking at the display, tas palakas pala, it was a split second when the receiver shut down. I dint even see what volume level it reached. I know that the 1909 automatically shut down as a protective mechanism. after that wala namang problema when i turned it on again.  thereafter, wala namang problema mainly because hindi ko rin talaga pinapaabot ung volume more than -20db.  I just realized this problem when i was tweaking the system, there were faint crackling sounds on one speaker. its intermittent but when it occurs, its annoying.

I used audyssey for calibration.  i also use banana plugs for the connection. Is it possible that the receiver got damaged because right now i see and hear no problems at relatively loud levels but when it reaches the harshly loud sounds, paminsan yan na ung crackling and it happens on one speaker lang.  Two weeks pa lang tong setup na to so m very new to this hobby. I have a to learn pa. Im grateful for all the help and thank you for all your advice.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3177 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:13 PM »
ok, the replies were very informative. a few days after i finished connecting the wires, basically setting the gears up, there was one incident where after turning on the receiver, mataas na pala ung volume level, i was playing a cd then, dahil sa gulat, i turned the master volume knob without looking at the display, tas palakas pala, it was a split second when the receiver shut down. I dint even see what volume level it reached. I know that the 1909 automatically shut down as a protective mechanism. after that wala namang problema when i turned it on again.  thereafter, wala namang problema mainly because hindi ko rin talaga pinapaabot ung volume more than -20db.  I just realized this problem when i was tweaking the system, there were faint crackling sounds on one speaker. its intermittent but when it occurs, its annoying.

I used audyssey for calibration.  i also use banana plugs for the connection. Is it possible that the receiver got damaged because right now i see and hear no problems at relatively loud levels but when it reaches the harshly loud sounds, paminsan yan na ung crackling and it happens on one speaker lang.  Two weeks pa lang tong setup na to so m very new to this hobby. I have a to learn pa. Im grateful for all the help and thank you for all your advice.

Sir, try swapping the speakers to isolate wether the problem is the avr or the speaker
SARS!!!

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3178 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:27 PM »
thank you sir jojitv, blackie and blue. i tried playing it again at the problematic volume level, pero wala naman na.  its confusing. baka na ooc lang ako. hehe. 

last night i swapped the speakers and the crackling sound still occurs but with the same speaker. perhaps its the speaker. but if i may ask, what could be signs that the receiver is damaged? there arent any apparent or noticeable right now. by the way, what is the normal volume level? this is my first receiver so m wondering f its normal for it to reach at least -12 to -15 db to get loud but not harsh.  or does it vary with different models and calibrations? I dont have any basis to compare the receiver's performance before the shutting off incident and its state after. I havent yet fiddled that much the receiver before the unfortunate incident my only reference for comparison would be your experiences.

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3179 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:39 PM »
thank you sir jojitv, blackie and blue. i tried playing it again at the problematic volume level, pero wala naman na.  its confusing. baka na ooc lang ako. hehe. 

last night i swapped the speakers and the crackling sound still occurs but with the same speaker. perhaps its the speaker. but if i may ask, what could be signs that the receiver is damaged? there arent any apparent or noticeable right now. by the way, what is the normal volume level? this is my first receiver so m wondering f its normal for it to reach at least -12 to -15 db to get loud but not harsh.  or does it vary with different models and calibrations? I dont have any basis to compare the receiver's performance before the shutting off incident and its state after. I havent yet fiddled that much the receiver before the unfortunate incident my only reference for comparison would be your experiences.

I go up to -15dB during movies. This is on a Yammy 663. By then it's REALLY loud. I calibrated my system using an SPL meter with the volume at -10dB.