Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568522 times)

Offline r_Y_@_n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3180 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 09:38 AM »
for me, on my HK245, normal listening level for music is around -25dB. for DD movies, around -20dB to -22dB, but if its DTS, around -25dB.  ;)

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3181 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
You could have your speaker checked if you changed the speaker and the crackling sound still came from the same speaker. When you powered up the amp's volume too much and it exceeded it's clipping point, the sudden surge of current could have damaged the speaker. I think it is possible you burned the tweeter. Am no tech though. So don't take my word for it. ;)

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline oyie_delapaz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3182 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
let me check with the distributor. what's wrong with the sub?

sir avshop, nag hahumm kapag tinurn on kahit walang nakakabit na cable. pakitanong naman po kung san pwede ipagawa, para na rin sa mga wharfedale patronizers. maraming salamat!

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3183 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 11:49 PM »
sir avshop, nag hahumm kapag tinurn on kahit walang nakakabit na cable. pakitanong naman po kung san pwede ipagawa, para na rin sa mga wharfedale patronizers. maraming salamat!

can you bring it to my showroom so that i can listen to it? so that i know how to explain it to the distributor.  so your sub works but may humm? :)

Offline oyie_delapaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3184 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 06:04 AM »
Yup sir it's still working kaya lang may hum which is very annoying. Sige sir dalin ko sa showroom nyo kahit na mabigat, tingin na rin ako ng pwedeng ipalit sa 1801 na denon ko :)

Offline oyie_delapaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3185 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 06:46 AM »
Sir avshop, sorry but san ba yung showroom nyo? :D

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3186 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM »
Sir avshop, sorry but san ba yung showroom nyo? :D

it's in quezon city. unit 205 amaremca bldg, 107a kalayaan avenue, diliman, quezon city.  let me know a day in advance when you go.  i only open when i have clients who want to audition the gear. that way i keep my overhead low and i'm able to offer better prices to my clients. :)

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3187 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
it's in quezon city. unit 205 amaremca bldg, 107a kalayaan avenue, diliman, quezon city.  let me know a day in advance when you go.  i only open when i have clients who want to audition the gear. that way i keep my overhead low and i'm able to offer better prices to my clients. :)

wow you're just a stonethrow away. can you pm me your products?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3188 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM »
wow you're just a stonethrow away. can you pm me your products?

pm sent. :)

Offline vhiinn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3189 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM »
sir thanks sa wharf 9.5 and CM mo po, pag kabit palang ok na, baka pag na break in mas lalabas un ganda, thanks again

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3190 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
sir thanks sa wharf 9.5 and CM mo po, pag kabit palang ok na, baka pag na break in mas lalabas un ganda, thanks again

your welcome! enjoy! :) i have a sub waiting for you. :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3191 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
i have a brand new wharfedale diamond dfs selling for only 4k. :)

Offline johnrider999

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3192 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 07:38 PM »
Guys, i need your help. any body tried wharfe 9.5 with marantz integrated amp? I have a new christmas gift fr my dad, its Marantz PM6002 integrated amp.  Baka may nakatry na sa inyo. Thanks

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Wharf diamond 9.1 for fronts and surrounds?
« Reply #3193 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 02:57 PM »
I have a pretty small area for HT. I want direct firing bookshelves for surrounds.  I will be using it for 30% PS3 35% Movies and 35% music. Will have an onkyo 606 reciever.  With these facts in mind I  Had an interesting conversation recently with one of the highly respected traders on this board.  He mentioned that a really good 5.1 sounding system would be to use the Wharf award inning 9.1 for both fronts and surrounds coupled with the 9c center and sub Sw150.

Anyone ever use this combo before. 

Any comments would be deeply appreciated.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Wharf diamond 9.1 for fronts and surrounds?
« Reply #3194 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 03:07 PM »
I would suggest going a different route for the subwoofer since it might not give you enough punch. Maybe a Velodyne VX-10?

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3195 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 03:14 PM »
I would suggest going a different route for the subwoofer since it might not give you enough punch. Maybe a Velodyne VX-10?

Ha...funny I said the same and was suggested by this trader a Polk Audio 10 inch  or a Velodyne VX10.  My reservation was that the wharf sub cost is about 8,700,  the polk audio about 10,500

and the veolodyne about 14,500.

Any comments on the use of the 9.1 for sronts and surrounds?

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #3196 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
Ha...funny I said the same and was suggested by this trader a Polk Audio 10 inch  or a Velodyne VX10.  My reservation was that the wharf sub cost is about 8,700,  the polk audio about 10,500

and the veolodyne about 14,500.

Any comments on the use of the 9.1 for sronts and surrounds?

it is hard to make a definite stand on this. some enthisuasts would prefer this set-up (same brand and model for the fronts and surround), and i think nothing is wrong with that. but here are my thoughts on the matter:

surrounds are usually for effects and/or ambient sounds. thus, it need not be too loud. if you use the 9.1s for both fronts and surrounds, chances are, the "main sound" and the "effects" would have the same loudness.

imagine a choir...the fronts would be the melody part while the surrounds would be the second voice. you would not be able to appreciate and distinguish the melody from the second voice if they are played at the same level. the second voice is there to give additional effect to the song.

simply stated, the surrounds need not be as loud as your fronts. the surrounds should have a little more subtle/subdued sound. hence, the surrounds are usually smaller than the fronts.

just my opinion though.  ;)

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3197 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 05:46 PM »
it is hard to make a definite stand on this. some enthisuasts would prefer this set-up (same brand and model for the fronts and surround), and i think nothing is wrong with that. but here are my thoughts on the matter:

surrounds are usually for effects and/or ambient sounds. thus, it need not be too loud. if you use the 9.1s for both fronts and surrounds, chances are, the "main sound" and the "effects" would have the same loudness.

imagine a choir...the fronts would be the melody part while the surrounds would be the second voice. you would not be able to appreciate and distinguish the melody from the second voice if they are played at the same level. the second voice is there to give additional effect to the song.

simply stated, the surrounds need not be as loud as your fronts. the surrounds should have a little more subtle/subdued sound. hence, the surrounds are usually smaller than the fronts.

just my opinion though.  ;)

I very much appreciate that comment and it is taken on board.  Having said that  from my experience the surrounds generally provide ambient sounds wich for the most part are background in general and when played at the same volume as the fronts do not overpower them by any means.  My dedicated HT had pardigm monitor 7 as fronts and atoms as surrounds.  They worked fairly well together but  I had turned up the volume on the surrounds dramatically for movies.  (but then again they were 7 feet behind my head). 

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the 9.1 all around with a mega sub!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3198 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 05:55 PM »

Having the same speakers for the front and surrounds is fine as long as you will properly calibrate your system via SPL meter or Audyssey/YPAO. It doesn't necessarily need to be smaller.

I use Infinity Primus P162 for surrounds which uses a 6.5" cone but they don't come out louder (even though the surrounds only 1.5ft from me and the fronts are 10ft away) since I calibrated my system.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the 9.1 all around with a mega sub!

It's actually a good idea to have the same speakers all around for a seamlessly identical sound stage, especially if a good chunk of your material would be music. Thing is, bookshelves that can be bought locally are always sold in pairs.

The center you are going for is I believe the... 9.CS?

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3199 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
Having the same speakers for the front and surrounds is fine as long as you will properly calibrate your system via SPL meter or Audyssey/YPAO. It doesn't necessarily need to be smaller.

I use Infinity Primus P162 for surrounds which uses a 6.5" cone but they don't come out louder (even though the surrounds only 1.5ft from me and the fronts are 10ft away) since I calibrated my system.

It's actually a good idea to have the same speakers all around for a seamlessly identical sound stage, especially if a good chunk of your material would be music. Thing is, bookshelves that can be bought locally are always sold in pairs.

You are correct.  the center is the 9.CS
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3200 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 06:19 PM »

Exactly...so I buy 2 pair of the 9.1, a center and a sub........

any issues?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3201 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 07:22 PM »

any issues?

How about experiment with 3 pairs of 9.1 for 6.1 channel configuration?  I haven't tried it but if I have to build my HT system all over again, I would choose 3 pairs of bookshelves and a very mean sub.  I don't know how much 9cs costs but if the price is almost the same as 9.1, I would buy 9.1 instead of 9cs... that way I get more value for my money...2 speakers instead of 1. hehe  ;D

By the way, having 5 (or 6) identical bookshelves are ideal especially if you're into multichannel music.  Reason?  Seamless integration.  You are assured that your center, left and right speakers should sound the same (syempre same speakers e) plus you get a center back as a bonus.  Take note also that you'll only find movies encoded in 7.1 channels in BluRay only.  For DVDs, maximum is 6.1 discrete channels.  If it will sound good in multichannel music, there's no reason why it won't in HT as long as your system is properly calibrated as suggested by blued888.

Another justification for getting all identical 5 (or 6) speakers would be to mimic the speakers used in recording companies.  Sound engineers mix surround music using identical bookshelves (not floor standers mind you)...that way you're assured to hear the effects as the sound engineers intended when they mixed them.

Spend more for the subs.  Velodyne is a good brand.  Get one that would literally shake your house.  hehehe  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 07:29 PM by milken »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3202 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 07:59 PM »
How about experiment with 3 pairs of 9.1 for 6.1 channel configuration?  I haven't tried it but if I have to build my HT system all over again, I would choose 3 pairs of bookshelves and a very mean sub.  I don't know how much 9cs costs but if the price is almost the same as 9.1, I would buy 9.1 instead of 9cs... that way I get more value for my money...2 speakers instead of 1. hehe  ;D

By the way, having 5 (or 6) identical bookshelves are ideal especially if you're into multichannel music.  Reason?  Seamless integration.  You are assured that your center, left and right speakers should sound the same (syempre same speakers e) plus you get a center back as a bonus.  Take note also that you'll only find movies encoded in 7.1 channels in BluRay only.  For DVDs, maximum is 6.1 discrete channels.  If it will sound good in multichannel music, there's no reason why it won't in HT as long as your system is properly calibrated as suggested by blued888.

Another justification for getting all identical 5 (or 6) speakers would be to mimic the speakers used in recording companies.  Sound engineers mix surround music using identical bookshelves (not floor standers mind you)...that way you're assured to hear the effects as the sound engineers intended when they mixed them.

Spend more for the subs.  Velodyne is a good brand.  Get one that would literally shake your house.  hehehe  ;D

AS IT IS A 5.1
4 OF THE SAME, A DEDICATED SEPERATE CENTER, AND A SUB  WILL DO FOR ME.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline gob

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3203 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
hi question lang po, can a Whar diamond 9.1 easily drive a 10-15 watt tube amp? plan to use it for audio. thanks
:D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #3204 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 12:09 PM »
hi question lang po, can a Whar diamond 9.1 easily drive a 10-15 watt tube amp? plan to use it for audio. thanks

9.1 has 89db sensitivity that can drive 10-15 watts amp. At Sights and Sounds, we have 10-15 watt tube amp to let you try out. Visit us for audition this speaker.

Offline gob

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3205 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
9.1 has 89db sensitivity that can drive 10-15 watts amp. At Sights and Sounds, we have 10-15 watt tube amp to let you try out. Visit us for audition this speaker.
thats nice to hear sir, will try to visit your place sir
:D

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3206 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 01:12 PM »

any issues?

Some great reviews here ( 10 ) at Audioreview.com  and one of the reviews talks about the 9.1 as fronts and surrounds. 

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9-1/PRD_336373_4290crx.aspx
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3207 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 01:49 PM »
Some great reviews here ( 10 ) at Audioreview.com  and one of the reviews talks about the 9.1 as fronts and surrounds. 

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9-1/PRD_336373_4290crx.aspx

i suggest getting a good 10 or 12 inch sub.  i can give you very good deals on the infinity primus ps212, the polk  psw 110, polk psw 125, the polk dsw pro 500 and polk dsw pro 600. :)

Offline RJ Angeles

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3208 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 02:16 PM »
hi sorry to butt in, but can somebody tell what model will i use for rear speakers if i will not use the 9.1? wharfedale 9.0?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3209 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 04:26 PM »
hi sorry to butt in, but can somebody tell what model will i use for rear speakers if i will not use the 9.1? wharfedale 9.0?

you can use the wharfedale diamond dfs. they're really meant to be used for surrounds. :)