Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568185 times)

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3300 on: Mar 01, 2009 at 12:22 PM »
Sir ganu po kalaki ang listening area nung gamit nyo si combination B?  ;D

@Sir JohnE.
hmmm kaya na din ba ng Yamaha 663 para sa combination B.? (sorry po noob plang me, first HT setup ko to)

and mga bossings, plan ko po kc mag 9.1,CM,SR for the mean time, then switch ako to 7.1 dagdag lng ako ng 9.5, pepede ko bang gamitin 9.1 as for surrounds? or may mas maganda kaung suggested na upgrade path?. . .
TIA

you can use the 9.1 for surrounds in a 7.1 set up.  i think your plan is ok na. :) 

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3301 on: Mar 01, 2009 at 04:13 PM »
and mga bossings, plan ko po kc mag 9.1,CM,SR for the mean time, then switch ako to 7.1 dagdag lng ako ng 9.5, pepede ko bang gamitin 9.1 as for surrounds? or may mas maganda kaung suggested na upgrade path?. . .
TIA

ano kaya kung 2 pairs of 9.1 then 9cm as center?  the reason why mas recommended ang 9sr is mas madali syang iwall-mount bec of its size.  but the trend now is to put surround speakers on stands kaya pwede 2 pairs 9.1 para mas balance sila in case they'll be used as surround speakers someday.  http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html  no doubt 9.1 sounds better than 9sr as front having won several awards..so no reason why it shouldn't sound good also when used as surrounds.

on the other hand, i'm not so sure how 9.1 as fronts will match with 9cm as center in the meantime na wala pa yng 9.5 nyo... teka, how big is your room??  if I have a small to mid size room, I'll consider 3 pairs of 9.1 for 6.1 channel na and use the savings to buy the best subwoofer I can afford. the cost of a pair of 9.1 is near the cost of one 9cm but you get additional speaker and are assured that your center 9.1 sonically matches your 9.1 fronts (obviously kasi identical sila). but that's just me. hehe  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009 at 04:18 PM by milken »

Offline dhoZe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #3302 on: Mar 01, 2009 at 08:47 PM »
@Sir avshop
Thnx sir, bisita ko shop mo soon para maaudition ung ganung setup and para makapag desisyon na dn me, almost mag 2 months na dn akong nag scout ng first set ko  ;D di ka po talga nagcarry ng yamaha 663? trip ko talga un. . .  ;D

Thnx din sir milken for your insights and suggestions  ;D
ung listening area ko po pala is 15sqm

anu pong advantage ng 9DFS sa 9SR? which is better pag 9.1 ang kateam-up nya for surrounds?
TIA

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: Where to find replacement spikes for 9.4?
« Reply #3303 on: Mar 02, 2009 at 12:19 PM »
Alternatively, and since I have tiled floors, can I buy replacement 'rubber' type pods instead of metal spikes anywhere?

I use 3M Bumpon on my Wharfedale Diamond 9.5.

3M Bumpon is available in any hardware store at the malls.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3304 on: Mar 02, 2009 at 07:20 PM »
anu pong advantage ng 9DFS sa 9SR? which is better pag 9.1 ang kateam-up nya for surrounds?
TIA

9DFS are dipole speakers while 9sr and 9.1 are direct-firing bookshelves.  There has been lots of debate between them, some prefer dipoles, some prefer direct firing monopoles....some bipoles, tripoles!  You may want to read this AVS thread between B&W DS3 (switchable dipole-monopole) vs. 685 (monopole): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=898287

It depends on several factors, whether you have walls to hang the 9DFS, whether you have the room for 7.1 (there must be enough space behind the listening area for rear speakers and sides for side surrounds), budget, listening preference, whether you're a THX fan (dipoles a must ---see THX recommended speaker layout at their website), etc.  I prefer bookshelves as surrounds but some PDVD members prefer dipoles.  Only you can decide which one suits you best. Good luck!  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 at 07:22 PM by milken »

Offline dhoZe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #3305 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:16 AM »
Thanks for that sir milken  ;D

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3306 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:40 AM »
9DFS are dipole speakers while 9sr and 9.1 are direct-firing bookshelves.  There has been lots of debate between them, some prefer dipoles, some prefer direct firing monopoles....some bipoles, tripoles!  You may want to read this AVS thread between B&W DS3 (switchable dipole-monopole) vs. 685 (monopole): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=898287

It depends on several factors, whether you have walls to hang the 9DFS, whether you have the room for 7.1 (there must be enough space behind the listening area for rear speakers and sides for side surrounds), budget, listening preference, whether you're a THX fan (dipoles a must ---see THX recommended speaker layout at their website), etc.  I prefer bookshelves as surrounds but some PDVD members prefer dipoles.  Only you can decide which one suits you best. Good luck!  ;)

i also prefer bookshelf speakers for surrounds. :) 

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3307 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM »
Whraf owners

How long does it take to break-in a Wharf speaker?

Tnx

Offline magnum5

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3308 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM »
..tsaka paano i-break-in ang wharfedale 9.5 ?

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3309 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM »
I'm currently using 8.1 and I'm planning to upgrade will the 9.1 worth it?

Offline magnum5

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3310 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 01:30 PM »
...just got my 9.5's from a store in banawe...we don't have a benefit of a wharf audition in this part of the country, what we can audition here are MS Carnival, Jamo and Pioneers Speakers in an of SM branch..i just  relied  much from this forum in deciding which speaker to buy..but lo and behold nung naka set-up na ang 9.5' with an onkyo 606...ika nga, "lufet"..terrific...kailangan pa bang i-break-in yan ( kailangan pa bang i-memorize yan  )
...but i still have my MS Carnival 6 with Sony STR-DG520..still good...implied sa manual on how to break-in the speaker,like off phase one line then set-up face to face, which is complied, and impressed with the results..with the 9.5's i'm having apprehensions on the necessisity of a "forced run-in ", most in this forum would suggest  to let it run-in by itself...
...btw, sulit ang 5k sa freight charges, next day delivery, door to door...thanks to all :D :D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #3311 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 06:19 PM »
glad you liked your 9.5. for movie watching duties these are one slamming speakers. i can use it as Large and supplement the low low end by setting my crossover to 60hz and the sub to L+R/LFE. for music, there's a lot of better speakers... but for the price these are hard to beat.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline magnum5

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3312 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 01:59 PM »
thanks brow :)

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3313 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 04:37 PM »
Wharfedale Tweaks

While we were contemplating of changing my dad's aging wharfedale modus speakers, I thought that maybe it could still be resurrected thru the help of our very own DIY Master - Anthony.

Anthony changed the stock tweeters to Velodyne tweeters (silk tweeters with more extension), built new crossovers & changed the rubber surrounds of the mid-woofers. When we got the speakers back, I was so surprised with how those modus sounded - parang B&Ws na ah ;D
The sound was more open than the dark sounding wharfedales that I'm familiar with and the midwoofer had more body into it with more pronounced tight bass. It was certainly 2-3x better than the old Wharfedales ;)

Napaisip tuloy ako kumuha ng 9.1 just to see what Anthony's magic can do to it :D ;D Talagang genius sa speakers yung tao  ;) The 2.5k we paid to fix & tweak both speakers was nothing compared to the new sound we heard coming out of 'em - panalo talaga! ;D

So if you're planning to upgrade your Wharfedales to a different brand - maybe you would like to consider Anthony's tweaking services ;D He's done hundreds of Wharfedale tweaks! :o

Sorry - phone cam lang:

Offline Mutly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3314 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 05:28 PM »
Hi macdon! Nice work on having you're Wharfedales resurrected! Do they really sound that much better than before? Completely new crossover and maybe wiring is it? Sorry, new in this forum and been looking around kasi for anyone who has done tweaks on their 9s and how they sound eh and this is the closest thing so far.  :D

I have 2 pairs of Diamond 9s that are in great condition and sound good, but I'm still very interested to see how much better they can get by maybe tweaking a pair. Do you think it's a good idea?  ;D

How do i get in touch with Anthony if ever?  ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3315 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 06:32 PM »
Hi macdon! Nice work on having you're Wharfedales resurrected! Do they really sound that much better than before? Completely new crossover and maybe wiring is it? Sorry, new in this forum and been looking around kasi for anyone who has done tweaks on their 9s and how they sound eh and this is the closest thing so far.  :D

I have 2 pairs of Diamond 9s that are in great condition and sound good, but I'm still very interested to see how much better they can get by maybe tweaking a pair. Do you think it's a good idea?  ;D

Even before i even knew Anthony - I've heard some members here had their Wharfes tweaked which they're still using till now.
I believe the weakest part of  Wharfedale is within their tweeters - it lacks a bit of extension, which is probably why they sound dark/warm for my taste.

Anthony replaces the stock Wharfe tweeters with Velodyne  silk tweeters and silk tweeters are the most natural sounding tweeters around. Velo tweeters even have a better magnet material than the stock ferrite magnet that the Wharfe uses. The Velo tweets definitely opens up the capabilities of the Wharfedales.

Now, since the Velo tweets have a higher extension, the stock crossover would have to be modified to maximize this extension properly. Anthony will replace some parts of the xover.
I just finished setting up my Dad's wharfes and he himself was amazed on the big change from before. He was even surprised how come the sound is coming from the tv & not the speakers themselves - thats those Velo tweets working for ya ;D

Oh yeah - anthony makes speakers himself & has a long thread here in pdvd. He can make you a bookshelf for only 10k & it can rival any branded speakers in the market costing 2-3x ;)

Anthony - 0921 4697091

Landline - 3577990

Anthony is located in lower Bicutan, Taguig.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3316 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 09:39 PM »
I'm currently using 8.1 and I'm planning to upgrade will the 9.1 worth it?

get a used Pacific or Evo series instead ;)

Offline Mutly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3317 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 09:45 PM »
Even before i even knew Anthony - I've heard some members here had their Wharfes tweaked which they're still using till now.
I believe the weakest part of  Wharfedale is within their tweeters - it lacks a bit of extension, which is probably why they sound dark/warm for my taste.

Anthony replaces the stock Wharfe tweeters with Velodyne  silk tweeters and silk tweeters are the most natural sounding tweeters around. Velo tweeters even have a better magnet material than the stock ferrite magnet that the Wharfe uses. The Velo tweets definitely opens up the capabilities of the Wharfedales.

Now, since the Velo tweets have a higher extension, the stock crossover would have to be modified to maximize this extension properly. Anthony will replace some parts of the xover.
I just finished setting up my Dad's wharfes and he himself was amazed on the big change from before. He was even surprised how come the sound is coming from the tv & not the speakers themselves - thats those Velo tweets working for ya ;D

Oh yeah - anthony makes speakers himself & has a long thread here in pdvd. He can make you a bookshelf for only 10k & it can rival any branded speakers in the market costing 2-3x ;)

Anthony - 0921 4697091

Landline - 3577990

Anthony is located in lower Bicutan, Taguig.

Very useful information for me... thank you so much!  ;D

Yes, i feel they lack a bit of extension off the top end also. I see, so i guess the Wharf tweeters are at their full potential already so it needs to be replaced if i want more upper extension. I still definitely do want a silk tweeter for them though.  :)

Interesting that he makes his own speakers... will check that out for sure.

Thanks again macdon for the info! Will try contacting him as soon as i can decide what I'm going to do with these speakers.  :D

Cheers!  ;D

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3318 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM »
selling a brand new wharf 9.5 and 9cs package for only 16.5k. black ash finish. :)
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM by avshop »

Offline mercury724

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #3319 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 01:50 AM »
still a newbie, just want to share.. nababasa ko lang sa mga threads about speakers being bi-amped and got curious. i have a wharfedale 9.4 and i'm happy with the performance, but yesterday i wanted to try bi-amping my 9.4 to see if could squeeze more sound quality from it and since my avr is capable of bi-amp so i decided to try it, just tonight i went on installing the extra wires to the speakers and connect it to my amp, and after setting the avr to bi-amp, i played the blueman group "the complex" DVD and started playing the music video... i was totally surprised  :o mas lalong gumanda yun tunog, the highs are more distinct than before, sound came out crisp and more detailed. :D
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3320 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 10:12 AM »

Sir,

you might want to consider buying another speaker instead.

PS. benta mo nalang sa akin ng mura diamond 9 mo. ;D

By the way, are the Walnut finish 9.1s available here already?

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline Mutly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3321 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 05:11 PM »
Hehe! I did consider that actually then i re-considered.  ;D

Think i will keep them for a bit more but if ever i do sell them, i will let you know jpeg.  Thanks for the offer.  :D

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3322 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 06:53 AM »
Wharfedale Tweaks

While we were contemplating of changing my dad's aging wharfedale modus speakers, I thought that maybe it could still be resurrected thru the help of our very own DIY Master - Anthony.

Anthony changed the stock tweeters to Velodyne tweeters (silk tweeters with more extension), built new crossovers & changed the rubber surrounds of the mid-woofers. When we got the speakers back, I was so surprised with how those modus sounded - parang B&Ws na ah ;D
The sound was more open than the dark sounding wharfedales that I'm familiar with and the midwoofer had more body into it with more pronounced tight bass. It was certainly 2-3x better than the old Wharfedales ;)

Napaisip tuloy ako kumuha ng 9.1 just to see what Anthony's magic can do to it :D ;D Talagang genius sa speakers yung tao  ;) The 2.5k we paid to fix & tweak both speakers was nothing compared to the new sound we heard coming out of 'em - panalo talaga! ;D

So if you're planning to upgrade your Wharfedales to a different brand - maybe you would like to consider Anthony's tweaking services ;D He's done hundreds of Wharfedale tweaks! :o

Sorry - phone cam lang:

nice  ;D i had my pi-10 also tweaked by anthony last year big improvement din sayang lang di ko pa nasabay yung tweeters nun :) di ko rin mabitawan yung pi-10 ko since among the wharfe speakers that i had eto lang yung di ko mapakawalan.

cam phone lang din pala gamit ko nung kinunan ko yan ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2009 at 06:59 AM by JohnE. »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3323 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 06:57 AM »
...currently using this pala for audio  ;D never fails to brighten-up my day!

if i get spare cash im also contemplating on trying the m-caps for these babies.

Offline gob

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3324 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM »
nice  ;D i had my pi-10 also tweaked by anthony last year big improvement din sayang lang di ko pa nasabay yung tweeters nun :) di ko rin mabitawan yung pi-10 ko since among the wharfe speakers that i had eto lang yung di ko mapakawalan.

nice wharfs you got there =)

yun diamond 9.1 ko mi dent na sides & corner ng baffle, kaya paba maremedyohan???
:D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3325 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM »

Brader john - yes sir, I remember you posting that in PB as well. Ang ganda talaga ng outcome ng speakers mo in piano black finish ;) Its great to know you're extending the mileage on those speakers - congrats! ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3326 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM »

yun diamond 9.1 ko mi dent na sides & corner ng baffle, kaya paba maremedyohan???

Depende po yan on how deep yung dents. I got my brother's old AR M2 na talagang pumuputok na yung kahoy and the vinyl is lifting off na. I had Anthony removed the vinyl, fixed the wood & re-vinyl a new one. While at it, I had him replaced the stock tweeters with Velodyne tweets, modified the xover & even replaced the grille cloth with a new one.

Is the cabinets of the 9series Wharfes in natural wood ba or vinyl covering lang? Anthony currently uses an imported vinyl that has better quality than the locally bought vinyls - unfortunately, he has it only black.
Mahirap din mag match ng vinyls - so if you have one that needs a new vinyl - dapat both speakers na ang pabalot nyo. Ok lang cguro kung for audio, pero kung for HT medyo marami ang pababalot mo :P

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3327 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 03:17 PM »

kaya siguro yan palit ng balot (vinyl) and masilya ;) try to contact anthony or doc mel ;D

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3328 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 04:49 PM »
If pamasilya, I suggest you ask Anthony for piano finish na. ;)

Very good workmanship!

Highly recommended.

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline pogzz505

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3329 on: May 06, 2009 at 09:57 PM »
i'm planning to buy this combi coz it will cost me only 14.5k..tried this at s n s and i liked it..
Wharf diamond9.1..
9cs..
9dfs..

Kung palitan ko ng floor standing speaker ang front..what pwde niyo recommend..
Yamaha 663, Wharfe 9.1, 9cs, 9sr, Velodyne, Egreat m31b, Ps3