Author Topic: Help in setting up a 12 speaker system for a store  (Read 1404 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help in setting up a 12 speaker system for a store
« on: Jul 27, 2005 at 12:00 PM »
Hi guys, I am trying to help my friend set up 12 speakers for his store. Our initial idea was to use his spare Yamaha 1300 6.1 receiver to set up two 4 ohm speakers in series connected to each channel, thereby producing 8 ohms/ channel, with 6 channels =12 speakers.

Question is : any cheaper alternative (for amplifier)? I have no idea in setting up sound systems like this, thus the silly and expensive idea above  ;D.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2005 at 01:28 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Help in setting up a 12 speaker system for a store
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2005 at 01:00 PM »
Even two 8-ohm speakers in series won't be a problem.  Better to use higher impedance for a solid state amp than lower than what it expects.   I have no idea why you would want 12 speakers (store size?), but I think your set-up would only be as cheap or expensive as the speaker brands you have in mind.  Some set-ups I've encountered use a speaker impedance matching transformer to set up multiple speakers without changing how they look to the amplifer.  The transformers are not that expensive.  The speakers will mostly determine that.  Just my thoughts.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
Thanks sir AV. The store is big enough for the 12 speakers. We plan to use only cheap local speakers like daiichi ceiling speakers so the cost for speakers isnt a problem.

The problem is my friend feels its so much of a waste to use his newly shelved Yamaha 1300 (around 35-40k when he bought it) for this purpose. I was actually looking for a cheaper alternative for amplifiers specifically. Sorry I wasnt specific  :).

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 10:22 AM »
Seems you need some sort of piped in music for your store and would only be used for background music, right?  In that case, that 6-ch 40T Yamaha may indeed be an overkill.  Also, the model may not be robust enough for the purpose as it is really meant for home Hi-Fi and HT entertainment and not 8 hours of continuous background music daily where no one's gonna notice or appreciate any channel separation.

There are professional PA systems in Raon that cost a fraction and have rugged designs meant for this.  Then there are Electown, Sakura and Konzert integrated amps I saw at SM that cost no more than 6T and even have microphone inputs that you could use for paging in your store.  I think they come in stereo and 5 channel models.  And still there are great surplus integrateds at the pier for about the same price.  These are mostly stereo integrated and prologic receivers.   So for you to use multiple speakers scattered over the store ceiling area, you would need to do a number of series parallel connections so that the end result would be 8 ohms or 4 ohms per channel (depending on the amp's impedance requirement.) 

12 Dai-ichi 10" 60 watt full range speakers shouldn't cost more than 4T.  Then a 6T integrated.  You probably might spend as much on the wires.   ;D

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 10:48 AM »
Thanks sir AV. The store is big enough for the 12 speakers. We plan to use only cheap local speakers like daiichi ceiling speakers so the cost for speakers isnt a problem.

Hi MAtZTER,

If you (and you're friend) haven't purchased the speakers yet, you may want to give Mr. Sonny Tuazon of The Home Theater a call. If you'll get the speakers from them, they will install them for you, free of charge. Maybe he can also help you source out an alternative amp so that your friend can save his precious Yamaha 1300.  Contact numbers 813-8443/812-5235.

Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline rebelsage

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2005 at 03:11 PM »
you don't need a 6-channel amp if you're only going to use it for stereo.  you only get to use 2 channels, i.e. L & R, and not the center or rears, unless your amp is bridgeable.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I will go to Raon again soon to check out the amps available for this purpose.  :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2005 at 12:49 PM »
I went to Raon last weekend. This solution was what I learned:

1.) buy a Sakura 400wpc (x2) amp w/ tuner -over P3k
2.) connect 4 speakers to each channel in parallel series. Total of 8 speakers. 1 Daiichi 60w ceiling speaker = about P600
3.) buy a PA microphone for paging. about P700-P900
4.) if the sound is not loud enough, get an impedance matching transformer and connect in between the speakers. More speakers can be connected in this manner

There ya go..hope that helped