Author Topic: Popular DVDs That You Refuse To Get!  (Read 32962 times)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Popular DVDs That You Refuse To Get!
« on: Dec 07, 2001 at 12:42 AM »
I feel so much pressure to buy blockbuster movies when they come out on DVD -- even if I didn't enjoy those movies at all when I saw them in theaters.  Be it awesome special features, tremendous packaging, or simply wanting to give a blockbuster another chance when it comes out on DVD -- I've gotten tempted lately to buy these new releases that I hated in theaters:

Planet of the Apes - I panned this movie so bad when I saw it in theaters.  And yet, when I saw the scrumptious two-disc set on store shelves, touting tons of extras and the most technologically advanced disc ever, I have to admit I thought twice.  But in the end I walked past.

Pearl Harbor - My lack of regard for Michael Bay is legendary. I thought this movie was so bad I was actually laughing at the love scenes and awkwardly somber lines.  And yet...when I saw it on shelves this afternoon, I was sorely tempted to pick it up.  "Just watch the bombing sequence," I was saying to myself.  But no...in the end I left this bomb alone.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Popular DVDs That You Refuse To Get!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 01:43 AM »
Make that two votes for (or against) Pearl Harbor. The headphone pseudo-5.1 audio track is intriguing, but not enough.

Moulin Rouge. Stood up after 15 minutes in the theater. Didn't take a second look at the DVD. Suplado no?

Don't think I'll rent them, either. Though I might rent POTA, which I didn't bother to see in the theater.

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 02:26 AM »
I wouldn't get Armageddon and The Rock from Critereon.  I don't care whether they are packed to the gills with features.  The movies themselves are just simply not worth the premium being charged by Critereon.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 03:56 AM »
Another thumbs-down vote for Pearl Harbor, my wife wanted to see this one.. so naturally, I got dragged into watching it.  I ended up admiring the Japanese and got pissed with the obligatory come-uppance.

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 04:06 AM »
titanic

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 04:16 AM »

Shrek
Final Fantasy
Monsters Inc.
Toy Story
Antz

Wala lang. I just don't like CG Animation. Strange no, for someone who's working in similar fields. Siguro I'm missing a lot, pero OK lang.

Offline Geoffrey

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 04:19 AM »
Mission Impossible 1 and 2
X-men

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 04:38 AM »
Hmm, this is a very interesting thread...I have The Rock (Criterion), Titanic, Shrek, Final Fantasy, Toy Story 1 and 2, Antz, M:I-1 and 2, X-Men, and I fully intend to buy Monsters Inc. when it is released most likely in summer 2002.

It seems that what others resisted, I found irresistible!  ;)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:30 AM »
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this one but:

The Godfather boxed set

I admit, I've never watched any of the godfather movies and I'm sure it's good but it's not something I'd watch over and over again. Hence, my unwillingness to buy the dvd.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:31 AM »

Another thumbs-down vote for Pearl Harbor, my wife wanted to see this one.. so naturally, I got dragged into watching it.  I ended up admiring the Japanese and got pissed with the obligatory come-uppance.

Ok, I got a confession to make. I *missed* Pearl Harbor because I was too busy at that time. But judging from what I'm hearing, I really didn't miss anything. :) Now the question: what was so bad about it? Or am I opening a big can of worms?

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:34 AM »

Planet of the Apes - I panned this movie so bad when I saw it in theaters.  And yet, when I saw the scrumptious two-disc set on store shelves, touting tons of extras and the most technologically advanced disc ever, I have to admit I thought twice.  But in the end I walked past.

I don't blame you. Personally, I *wanted* to embrace this movie. I loved the original and admire Burton's way of showcasing the unusual side of things. But, 30 minutes into it, I wanted to walk out.The only thing that saved it for me were the superlative production design and Tim Roth's performance.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:35 AM »

Mission Impossible 1 and 2
X-men

I was so upset at how Tom Cruise butchered the original M:I concept just to inflate his own star that I totally refused to watch M:I2. Not even if Anthony Hopkins was in it. So, was I wrong? Is M: I2 any good?

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 06:08 AM »

I was so upset at how Tom Cruise butchered the original M:I concept just to inflate his own star that I totally refused to watch M:I2. Not even if Anthony Hopkins was in it. So, was I wrong? Is M: I2 any good?

well..if you compare the movie to the tv series, "butchered" nga is the right word ...but if u take the film based on its action sequences ..puwede na...  the woo man can get no wrong...

btw..the only reason why i got the MI2 disc is that they included the clip of ben stiller as tom crooze(the stunt double of tom cruise) which was shown during the mtv movie awards..hilarious!

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 06:11 AM »

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this one but:

The Godfather boxed set

I admit, I've never watched any of the godfather movies and I'm sure it's good but it's not something I'd watch over and over again. Hence, my unwillingness to buy the dvd.

uhmmmm...how sure are you that u'll not watch it over and over again, if u havent seen the movie ..

personally..if there's a movie that deserves repeat viewings..it would be godfather 1 and 2(wouldnt care less about godfather 3)

wana flame you more..pero im sure someone else will hahahahaha....smile

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:15 AM »
hehehe

you got me clock.

I DID watch some scenes here and there from HBO, various movie channels, and some friends' vhs tapes. I didn't completely watch the whole thing because there was always something else for me to do. But what little I have watched doesn't inspre me to purchase the dvd.

Don't be shy, flame me some more ;D

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:34 AM »
>:( PLANET OF THE APES
PEARL HARBOR
THE ROCK
ARMAGEDDON

Pero kung ibibigay lang sa akin, especially by those who loathed them, pwede na rin. Blessings will always blessings and beggars can't be choosy he he he! ;D

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 08:22 AM »
pearl harbor
MI 1 and 2
top gun

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 08:55 AM »
Pearl Harbor - sikat na tong title na to sa thread na to, ah!  Sana sa ibang movie na lang nila inilagay yung test run ng Dolby Headphones... gusto ko pa naman talaga subukan yun...

Planet of the Apes - i found it to be a little too bland for my taste...

Final Fantasy - i've heard that the CGI animation is great, and the DVD features are plentiful, pero narinig ko rin na so-so lang yung kwento, so I guess I'll just pass on this one too...

Forrest Gump - hehehe...  i'm just holding a grudge because I'm still pissed off that this movie  beat Pulp Fiction in the Oscars...  :)

Tomb Raider - love Angelina Jolie, but the movie was blah...

...but in the end, like what blitz said, kung may magbibigay sa akin ng mga titles na to, oks lang sa akin!  ;D  sino ba naman ako para tumanggi ng regalo?  pandagdag pa rin naman yan sa collection!  ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:24 AM »

I DID watch some scenes here and there from HBO, various movie channels, and some friends' vhs tapes. I didn't completely watch the whole thing because there was always something else for me to do. But what little I have watched doesn't inspre me to purchase the dvd.

Don't be shy, flame me some more ;D

Okay, you asked for it...all I can tell you is, you are missing a lot.  There are good reasons why The Godfather and Godfather II are hailed by most critics as the greatest American movies ever made. The main reason is that they truly are the greatest American movies ever made. You're simply not going to get the full impact of these movies until you sit down and begin watching each from the start.  15 minutes into them, I guarantee you will not want to stop watching until the very end.  Then you will wish that they had not ended.

At least watch the movies before you decide the DVD set isn't worth the trouble.  As for me, the only reason why I haven't slapped down the cash for the boxed set yet is that I don't have the cash to slap down.  Otherwise, I'm so there.  :)

Offline dukeonline2002

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:29 AM »
ARRRGHHH!

Titanic. Don't wanna get!
Also, another big-budget movie that has almost the same concepts with the former title: Pearl Harbor!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:36 AM »

Brian DePalma's take on the concept is clearly superior, and the marvelously complex plot acquits the first Mission quite adequately against most classic noir spy thrillers, IMHO.  The ensemble cast works hard, and Jon Voight is deliciously hammy as Jim Phelps gone bad (something that longtime fans of the TV series have long fantasized about), while Vanessa Redgrave attacks the role of Max with sumptuous gusto.

M:I-2, with its dumbed-down simplistic plot and uncharismatic performances, offers none of the charms of the first movie.  Stripped of these other enjoyments, it relies on Woo's action sequences to carry the day -- unfortunately, that's not enough.  And the action sequences are sub-par by Woo's standards -- I'll take the fight scenes in The Killer or Hardboiled any day over the kinetic but lifeless action in M:I-2.

In the end I agree with chico -- the Ben Stiller parody is the main reason to get this disc, that and the amazing Metallica song and video.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:53 AM »

Ok, I got a confession to make. I *missed* Pearl Harbor because I was too busy at that time. But judging from what I'm hearing, I really didn't miss anything. :) Now the question: what was so bad about it? Or am I opening a big can of worms?

You be the judge:  PinoyDVD Discusses Pearl Harbor.

By the way, let me remind everyone (as well as myself) that since this thread is in the DVD Discussion rather than Film and TV Talk, we should focus on the DVDs we refuse to get, rather than the relative merits of the movies in question.  So that we can stay on-topic.  :)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 11:47 AM »

Okay, you asked for it...all I can tell you is, you are missing a lot.  There are good reasons why The Godfather and Godfather II are hailed by most critics as the greatest American movies ever made. The main reason is that they truly are the greatest American movies ever made. You're simply not going to get the full impact of these movies until you sit down and begin watching each from the start.  15 minutes into them, I guarantee you will not want to stop watching until the very end.  Then you will wish that they had not ended.

At least watch the movies before you decide the DVD set isn't worth the trouble.  As for me, the only reason why I haven't slapped down the cash for the boxed set yet is that I don't have the cash to slap down.  Otherwise, I'm so there.  :)

If I may be allowed to go off topic one last time gonz...

I agree with your assessment. First chance I'll get, I'll watch it and see what happens.  :)

Offline alfred

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 04:45 PM »

titanic

Why? di ba the "j" in robertj means "Jack". hehehe

For me its Face Off (Is this popular?). Di ko gusto yun wifey ni John Travolta. I think she's too old looking to be his wife. Yung lang. ;)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:24 PM »
Pearl Harbor

I hope Circuit City already change their price so I won't be tempted to get one.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 05:37 PM »

Pearl Harbor

I hope Circuit City already change their price so I won't be tempted to get one.
Magkano ba sa Circuit City?  At Costco, it's $17.49!  Tempting price, isn't it?  ;)

Offline Kahon

• DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 06:54 PM »
I think I won't be getting Pearl Harbor as well.

Question for all Pearl Harbor avoiders (so far):

Will you be able to resist it if the 4-disc (according to latest rumors) Director's Cut edition comes out?  And at a price that's nice?

;D

Hope I don't eat my words.

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:02 PM »

Question for all Pearl Harbor avoiders (so far):

Will you be able to resist it if the 4-disc (according to latest rumors) Director's Cut edition comes out?  And at a price that's nice?

i hated the movie and im trying to control my urge on getting the disc..i heard the rumoured 4 disc will come with a discovery channel documentary conecerning on the events that took place during the pearl harbor bombing(or kasali nas ha sa current one)

regardless, if this particular extra feature does come out..im getting the disc for the doc itself

when it comes to those popular dvds that i refuse to get..that would be titanic..saw the darn thing so many times, cant imagine watching it again

Offline symon

• Collector
  • I've seen the groove!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:03 PM »
Pearl Harbor and Titanic, buwisit! Nuff said.  :)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:06 PM »
Daming may ayaw ng Pearl Harbor, a!  Me too!  I didn't watch the movie, didn't really wanna watch it in the first place, and was annoyed by the trailer...

BTW, off topic ....anybody seen this trailer of the new movie by Chito Rono? It's a lot like the Pearl Harbor trailer.   ::)