Author Topic: Popular DVDs That You Refuse To Get!  (Read 32959 times)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Popular DVDs That You Refuse To Get!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:11 PM »

regardless, if this particular extra feature does come out..im getting the disc for the doc itself
There are a whole bunch of excellent documentary DVDs on the actual events at Pearl Harbor, if that's all you're after; try the A&E or History Channel releases.

Admit it, you're just trying to justify picking up Pearl Harbor while still maintaining your dignity!  (I know because I feel the same way)  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:27 PM »

Admit it, you're just trying to justify picking up Pearl Harbor while still maintaining your dignity!  (I know because I feel the same way)  ;)

ok you got me there! now i feel i just lost my dignity...btw, i also have planet of the apes! and and...the rock and armageddon on criterion...

cant stand this anymore...hu hu hu ..do i need help

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 08:30 PM »
As for me, I refuse to get Armaggedon, Criterion or otherwise. Everytime I see it, I remember the Deep Impact movie, which I prefer.  I just can't reconcile the premise that they entrusted the very existence of earth to somebody whose mian concern is not paying tax for life.  I know it was meant to be funny, but, hey maybe it's just me. ;)

voj

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:46 PM »
No matter how excellently crafted "Goodfellas" is, I just can't get myself to buy the disc. Don't get me wrong-- I admire the film very much. But there's just something about it that gets my blood boiling. I felt so heavy the first time I watched the film that my friends & I got out of the A/V room feeling violent, and talking "the talk." Almost got a copy, but bought a more wholesome PG movie instead.

JOHN

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 10:38 PM »
Well, it's $16.99 at Circuit City. Very tempting.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline bartleby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Good things come to those who wait.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 04:03 AM »
Titanic - Boring. Nuff said.
Pearl Harbor - I dunno about the 4-disc set. I'll wait and see.
MI-2 - I love John Woo movies except this one. The only thing I like in this movie is the action sequences.
Tomb Raider - I'm sick and tired of Lara Croft.

But what Blitz said "Pero kung ibibigay lang sa akin, especially by those who loathed them, pwede na rin. Blessings will always blessings and beggars can't be choosy"

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 04:34 AM »

I think I won't be getting Pearl Harbor as well.

Question for all Pearl Harbor avoiders (so far):

Will you be able to resist it if the 4-disc (according to latest rumors) Director's Cut edition comes out?  And at a price that's nice?

;D

Hope I don't eat my words.

If it's for PhP200 ... i might buy it.  Then auction it at bidshot... heheheh

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 04:39 AM »
Titanic.  Nearly forgot about this film, buti na lang nabasa ko sa thread.  I already said that I won't buy Pearl Harbor... pero given a choice between the two.. I'll give Titanic two thumbs-down.  To the director... king of the world.. you're not :)

Shrek.  What can I say?  (Then I saw her face...) I'm NOT a believer. :)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 12:23 PM »
I've said this before, but I think this is a very interesting thread.  In some cases, you find out more about a person from what they don't like, rather than from what they do.  A phenomenological breakthrough!  ;)

In any case, I have both Titanic and Shrek.  Interestingly, I've never felt the need to pop Titanic in the player and view the whole thing again.  I like viewing the special effects sequences only, not the love scenes or "character development" scenes. As a fan of Jim Cameron's earlier movies I'm glad I own it for completeness' sake (along with Terminator Special Edition, Aliens, and T2 Ultimate.  Now awaiting a decent release of True Lies), but it's not among my favorites.

As for Shrek, it is currently one of the most-viewed DVDs in my collection (and reportedly now the best-selling DVD of all time).  My kids ask for it practically every day.  The DVD games that seem so useless and wasted to me -- they actually give my kids lots of fun and enjoyment (as in, they laugh their heads off to see Lord Farquaad with the body of Donkey and the legs of Princess Fiona!).  They haven't been so obsessive about a DVD since I bought Toy Story 2.

Other popular movies I refuse to get:  Tomb Raider and Rush Hour.

Question:  how many of you refused to get Episode I: the Phantom Menace? (I got it -- and surprisingly , it gets viewed a lot more than expected.)

Who refused to get The Mummy and/or The Mummy Returns?  (I have both)

And who will refuse to get Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone when released? (My kids will lynch me if I don't.)

Who's refusing to pick up Jurassic Park III?  (I have the first two, so I'll probably end up buying it at some point.)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 01:03 PM »

Question:  how many of you refused to get Episode I: the Phantom Menace? (I got it -- and surprisingly , it gets viewed a lot more than expected.)

And who will refuse to get Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone when released? (My kids will lynch me if I don't.)

Who's refusing to pick up Jurassic Park III?  (I have the first two, so I'll probably end up buying it at some point.)

I got episode 1 and (ashamedly, is there such a word?) it's one of the most viewed dvds I have. Mainly for the pod race and the duel scenes.

I have both Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

I plan to get Harry Potter (my mom will lynch me if I don't)

JP3 I'll probably buy since I have the first 2 and...

Shrek, I'll wait when (IF!) astrovision ever has it available. Failing that, I'll probably buy the r1 version sometime in Jan or Feb.

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 07:52 PM »

Don't be shy, flame me some more ;D

We don't have to, you've done more damage to your reputation than we could ever hope to do. ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 08:05 PM »
Cool thread gonz! It's a weekend and my brain's still not working properly so here's a very short list:

Episode I - I rented this disc from Movie Depot a few weeks ago it's surprising how resistable the urge to buy this DVD is after watching it.

Harry Potter - My family loved this movie, my girlfriend loved it, all my friends loved this movie, I marginally enjoyed it (Though I saw this movie three times). I really want to buy this DVD for my girlfriend, but I'm holding off from buying it for the same reason I haven't bought any of the books yet:  This unwholesome fear that they'll release a boxed set with all 7 movies/books in the future.

Hannibal - Loved the first movie/book, Silence of The Lambs (second if you count Manhunter), but I hated the Hannibal book. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I hear, I'm not missing anything.

Planet Of The Apes - I just bought the boxed set of the original movies from EBTGmike and I must say that I enjoyed these old movies so much that I can only consider the remake as trash.

Lara Croft - When I first saw this movie, I thought that it was the worst movie I've seen this year (yup, I thought this movie was worse than Pearl Harbor). Though it already has been dethroned (Tomcats is now the worst movie I've seen this year.), it's still enough reason for me to pass this by.

Of course I don't have to mention Pearl Harbor, Titanic and MI:2 anymore since those discs had enough of their fair share of bashings.

More to come.

Offline Dozer

• Collector
  • Where?
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 08:59 PM »
Titanic  :-X

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 10:06 PM »

Lara Croft

Of course I don't have to mention Tomb Raider

Thanks Phobos!  I guess your brain really isn't working properly yet since you mentioned Tomb Raider twice -- or is that just an indication of how emphatic you are about not picking that DVD up?  ;)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 10:09 PM »

We don't have to, you've done more damage to your reputation than we could ever hope to do. ;D

Now, now...let's not be nasty toward anyone simply because they don't want to watch a particular film.  Besides, halo has already stated that he will give The Godfather movies a fair chance.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Gonz
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 10:35 PM »
Hehe, it's my brain alright. I meant to post Pearl Harbor....editing the post now.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 12:08 AM »

This is a dilemma for me once this is released.  The dilemma is that...are you going to buy the 3rd part coz you have the first two regardless of the trashy plot and the same set of dinosaurs which I feel is just so redundant and people just get tired of it, or buy it coz the movie is just great? (bleech!) >:(

We are sometimes buying just under par sequels just because we own the first blockbuster movies.  Think its more of collection sake rather than us viewing it again and again. Is this justifyable or worth it? ???

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 01:11 AM »

We are sometimes buying just under par sequels just because we own the first blockbuster movies.  Think its more of collection sake rather than us viewing it again and again. Is this justifyable or worth it? ???

Right on nirvblakr!  But on the other hand, consider my case... I was set to buy American Pie DVD (already had a VCD of it)... a movie which I'm not ashamed to admit I loved.  But the sequel sucked (well.. that is accdg. to 2 colleagues since I haven't seen it yet), which made me hesitant on buying the DVD.  
So right now, the question for me is.. should I buy the Unrated Version DVD or not?
Here's hoping that someone just give it to me as a gift :)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 01:54 AM »

I agree with your sentiment, and I wouldn't buy a sequel simply because it is a sequel.  There has to be more of a reason than that, even if that reason is my kids loved it (but I didn't).

I didn't go crazy over JPIII as I did with the first movie (which I saw in theaters nine times, since I was so psyched after reading Michael Crichton's novel -- which was conceptually brilliant but poorly written, as with all Chrichton novels).  However, I did think that JPIII was more enjoyable than The Lost World.  I sorely missed the absence of Sam Neill and Laura Dern in that sequel.

Anyway, as I said I'm probably getting it.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 01:55 AM »

So right now, the question for me is.. should I buy the Unrated Version DVD or not?
You could simply rent the VHS or DVD of American Pie 2 to see if the DVD is worth picking up, right?

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #50 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 02:21 AM »
x-ran & gonz- Maybe this is somewhat one of the ploys of producers of sequels (sometimes they are not the same as the original) that they know the sequel would sell i.e. for videos, DVDs because of collector's just to have a complete set then ending up as dust gatherers.

Another of those rip-off sequels is Die Hard 3.  This was a really budgeted movie with a stupid plot and didn't come close to the 1st 2.  And they are selling the Die Hard Trilogy boxed set with that Part 3 to be used as a coaster. >:(  I'd rather buy the DVDs separately...just the part 1 & 2.  Forget about the savings. >:(

Personally, I did like the transition of Evil Dead 1-->2-->3 where the first one was a real serious horror movie then comes 2 where there was seriousness and a touch of comedy then comes 3 where the comedy was more than the horror part. I did love watching Evil Dead 3 again and again but it would have been better if the effects were more fluid and lifelike.  The technology was like the Sinbad series.  Very bad!  Shows that it was a B(low-budgeted)-movie only good for laughs! :P

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 02:59 AM »

You could simply rent the VHS or DVD of American Pie 2 to see if the DVD is worth picking up, right?

I'm not talking about American Pie 2 in this instance gonz... what I'm trying to say is because the sequel sucked(?), suddenly I'm not sure about buying the original.

You are right though about renting American Pie 2 first to see first-hand if it really did sucked.  (Heheheh... now I remember that part of the reason my colleagues said it sucked was bec. there was no "drool" scene with Shannon Elizabeth)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 11:48 AM »

Another of those rip-off sequels is Die Hard 3.  This was a really budgeted movie with a stupid plot and didn't come close to the 1st 2.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there, sir.  I thought Die Hard 3, being directed once again by McTiernan, was better than Renny Harlin's part 2.  Harlin has no talent for building suspense in his action sequences the way that McTiernan (sometimes) does. The first half of Die Hard 3, with McClane and Zeus being led all over New York by Simon's insidious brain teasers, was effective, intelligent, and great fun -- a cool homage to Dirty Harry as well.  The ending fell flat, but it doesn't take away from the rest of the movie.  Die Hard 2 is nothing more than a sub-par plot-clone of the first movie.

That being said, nothing comes close to the first Die Hard.  It is far and away one of the best 80's Hollywood action movies, IMHO.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2001 at 12:15 PM »

I'm not talking about American Pie 2 in this instance gonz... what I'm trying to say is because the sequel sucked(?), suddenly I'm not sure about buying the original.

I see...well, the fact that the sequel reportedly sucked doesn't in any way change how much you enjoyed the first one, so I don't see why that should change your mind about buying just that one DVD.

I freely admit that I enjoyed the first American Pie, just as I enjoyed the first Ace Ventura.  :)

Offline Geoffrey

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 10, 2001 at 08:18 AM »
I will never buy Armagedon-I prefer Deep Impact.
Tomb Raider

Geoffrey

Offline freakondvd

• Collector
  • Fellow dvd addicts, unite!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 11, 2001 at 05:27 AM »
I refuse to buy:

1) Pearl Harbor
2) Armageddon
3) Saving Private Ryan
4) Die Hard sequels
5) Star Wars: Phantom Menace

I don't like these movies and their DVDs as well...

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 11, 2001 at 07:30 AM »

No matter how excellently crafted "Goodfellas" is, I just can't get myself to buy the disc. Don't get me wrong-- I admire the film very much. But there's just something about it that gets my blood boiling. I felt so heavy the first time I watched the film that my friends & I got out of the A/V room feeling violent, and talking "the talk." Almost got a copy, but bought a more wholesome PG movie instead.

my sentiments exactly!!..unfortunately, this movie and one flew over a cuckoo's nest(which was full screen, super horrible transfer, no extras and no subtitles(not even close captioning)were two of the first dvds i ever got!..sold them to an unsuspecting fella the next week, now im just waiting for my karma hehe

Offline freakondvd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2001 at 10:51 PM »

1. Have no plans of buying Episode 1
2. I'm planning to get The Mummy but it's not in my priority list. As for Mummy 2, wag na lang.
3. I love the HP books and I enjoyed the movie so count me in as one the early buyers once this movie is released in DVD... Pero I also share Phobos's fear that they might release a boxed set...
4. I'll probably get Jurassic 1 lang. I didn't enjoy Jurassic 2 and I didn't bother to see Jurassic 3.

BTW, dapat yata may PARTIAL AND UNOFFICIAL TALLY OF THE POPULAR DVDS THAT WE REFUSE TO BUY para makita natin kung sino ang magwawagi. Hehehe. Mukhang namumuro ang "Pearl Harbor". ;D

Offline freakondvd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 12, 2001 at 10:55 PM »

BTW, off topic ....anybody seen this trailer of the new movie by Chito Rono? It's a lot like the Pearl Harbor trailer.   ::)

Yup, saw the trailer too. It's "Yamacrapa: The Hidden Treasure", one of the seven entries in the forthcoming Metro Manila filmfest... Mukhang promising... It's a co-prod between MAQ Films (a sister company of Regal) and Roadrunner Network kaya heavy on post-prod and CGI.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2001 at 11:35 PM »
Partial and Unofficial Tally of Popular DVDs that PinoyDVDers Refuse To Get:

As expected, Pearl Harbor tops the list of DVDs we are least likely to get by a wide margin over the second-placer, Titanic.  Tied at third place are Planet of the Apes, Armageddon and Tomb Raider. M:I-2 is fourth most-despised, and Episode 1: the Phantom Menace rounds out the top five.  Three Michael Bay movies are in the top 10, making him our most reviled director.  ;)

The full results so far:

Pearl Harbor            15
Titanic            8
Planet of the Apes            5
Armageddon            5
Tomb Raider            5
M:I-2            4
Episode 1: The Phantom Menace            3
The Rock            2
Shrek            2
Final Fantasy            2
Mission Impossible            2
Moulin Rouge            1
Monsters Inc.            1
Antz            1
Toy Story            1
Toy Story 2            1
X-Men            1
Godfather Trilogy            1
Top Gun            1
Forrest Gump            1
Face Off            1
GoodFellas            1
Rush Hour            1
Rush Hour 2            1
Harry Potter            1
Hannibal            1
Saving Private Ryan            1
Die Hard 2            1
Die Hard 3            1
The Mummy Returns            1
The Lost World            1
Jurassic Park 3            1