Author Topic: DVD quality in the Philippines have gone downhill  (Read 9021 times)

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD quality in the Philippines have gone downhill
« on: Jul 29, 2005 at 07:44 PM »
I went to the mall this afternoon with a pocket full of cash, going through my usual DVD rounds.  I went to SM dept store video section, then Astro, then Videocity, then Odyssey.  The selections are now dominated with those cheap P299 DVD5 and P150 C-interactive crap.  Only a tiny amount of regular titles were available, leftover stocks maybe.  Because of these idiotic P299 crap, every video store end up selling the same title.  Even if you're willing to spend, there's nothing to spend it on!

I have to drive all the way to Podium now just to do my DVD shopping.  Their selection isn't that good either.  They sell the same crap since last year.  Where's Pleasantville?  Chinatown?  Donnie Brasco?  The Talented Mr. Ripley?  Great Expectations?  Mystic Pizza?  I see more selections in Quiapo stalls.

To whoever owns the Astro in Podium - you just can't keep selling the same titles over and over.  Your core customer are us, we already have what we want from your current batch.  Order a whole new batch that we've never seen before and I bet we'll empty out your shelves in a few days.  Your sales will even be better if you pick titles that aren't airing on TV right now (ie. Pleasantville).

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
Re: DVD quality in the Philippines have gone downhill
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 08:50 PM »
You can always spend those hard earned money in here (PinoyDVD Marketplace).  There are many members here who offer Region 1 DVDs that you can purchase here without the hustle of ordering them yourself thru the net from abroad.  Of course you already knew that.  ;D

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 07:32 PM »
You can always spend those hard earned money in here (PinoyDVD Marketplace).  There are many members here who offer Region 1 DVDs that you can purchase here without the hustle of ordering them yourself thru the net from abroad.  Of course you already knew that.  ;D

all in the comfort of your home. (or office)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 09:47 AM »
There are really very few new titles you can find in most local stores.  Either they sell those 299 junk or are still selling older but better packaged non-moving inventories still priced above 900.  The marketplace here at Pinoydvd is really an excellent alternative to online buying. 
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2005 at 03:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 12:35 PM »
The retailers should offer Region 1 and other Region dvds like in HMV in Hongkong, and the other store in Singapore wherein you can browse and choose for almost thousand titles in their selection. But the present Videogram Regulatory Board doesn't regulate it.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2005 at 01:16 PM by keating »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 03:30 PM »
I agree.

The OMB commits no violation of the Optical Media Act of 2003 (RA 9239) or its Implementing Rules by allowing R1 DVDs in the Philippine market.  They've already done it for some titles such as the LOTRs.

On the contrary, hindi ba the OMB is in fact violating the law by prohibiting R1s?

What say you, mga pañeros?

---------------------------------------------------

Optical Media Act of 2003 (RA 9239) http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2004/ra_9239_2004.html

Implementing Rules - http://www.iplaw.ph/bnu2_iplaws_ra9239_rr.asp

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2005 at 03:33 PM by barrister »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 08:21 PM »
Thank god for Amazon.

DVD selection could hopefully improve next year if plans push through to localize DVD9 manufacturing here in the Philippines. It'll give the studios greater flexibility in releasing more titles into the market without paying excessive duties and shipping costs. And since the DVDs will be dual layer and sourced from the Region 1 or 3 DLT masters, there won't be any quality degradation.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2005 at 08:29 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 12:52 AM »
I went to Music One at Greenbelt, their selection is better than most Astro.  Still, I would estimate around 50% of their stocks are worthless.  They sell Delta Force 3, Chuck Norris stuff, Billy Zane crap, and other B movies for regular price.  Does anyone really buy these things?  Who is the genius who ordered all these thinking its gonna sell?  Even if they mark it down to P299, nobody would buy them.

I then went to check out Tower Records and Astro.  Came back empty handed again.  The stocks remained the same.

And you thought such selection never exist in other countries? Well youre wrong, they do at an exact same price too (if converted to Philippine peso) .. $5.95 or P299.00 in Peso.

If youre taste is for better movies and better quality, why keep on whining there and instead start to be resourceful. If you done driving from one Astro to another.. dude, believe me, its far more safer less stress if you apply that clicking to sites like Amazon(and if youre concern are prices or shipping.. THE RULE is Higher Premium cost a LOT.. Not unless you hunt for SALES  >:D ).

In Pinas? hahahaha.. HINTAY KA MURA? MAPAPAMURA KA. HANAP KA MURA? LAYUAN MO NA

As I see it, Philippine DVD is not going down... its DOWN already for quite a while (You know why.. the delta force/billy zane crap you mentioned, its long been there .. YEARS ago). And why you are telling that is simply because, your riding the already DOWN market, and youre not moving on, youre just whining there.

Check out other topics, see how other members pleasure are satisfied, because they expand their resources.

Then Try Clicking at online stores.. or better the DVD Marketplace section in this thread.

Peace ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2005 at 01:26 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 01:54 AM »
Yep there are still many other alternative ways to buy other region DVDs.....and the answer is usually just a few mouse clicks away  ;)

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 01:55 AM »
I trust the sellers on PinoyDVD... I have yet to buy a dud. Just be wise enough to research on the seller's background before making contact his or her past behavior will be telling how you will jive.

I've been abstaining of late from making any video purchases because the advent of HD media such as BD or HD-DVD. Everything issued today will be reissued to these new format that will last at least a decade.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 07:52 AM »
I don't think anyone's assuming that you don't buy from Amazon. People are offering you alternatives because you raised a valid issue. Just take the suggestions at face value.

Anyway, according to an industry insider, the Php199 and Php299 DVD5 versions are an attempt to attract VCD buyers to the DVD format. And original VCD buyers have been buying them apparently. I've seen shoppers picking several titles up at a time unmindful of the quality. If you're coming from VCD, any DVD looks better. And I've learned to accept that a lot of people just don't notice the difference.

The studios will continue to bring in the more expensive, imported R3 DVD9 versions to satisfy the more discriminating buyer. Disclaimer: this excludes C-Interactive and their "fullscreen, full features" DVD5 titles. Those releases give the industry a bad name.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2005 at 07:55 AM by firewired »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 06:35 PM »
The studios will continue to bring in the more expensive, imported R3 DVD9 versions to satisfy the more discriminating buyer.

My question is: but for how much longer? If they find a more profitable market for the 299 versions, then dropping the quality DVD9 imports (which they sometimes end up selling in large Astro Plus sales just to clear their inventory) might make good business sense for them in the near future.  :-\

Disclaimer: this excludes C-Interactive and their "fullscreen, full features" DVD5 titles. Those releases give the industry a bad name.

What do you guys think of the VIVA "cheap releases", like the recent The Wedding Date? Unlike the C-Interactive titles, this one doesn't just remove the US company's logo - it has local copyright warnings and studio logos, and original (if ugly) menus. It contains the same special features as the R1 version except for the audio commentary... but is presented in fullscreen.

I'm... very underwhelmed.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 01:23 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I also think that distributors are selling these DVDs to attract the lower market (those buying VCDs) into buying DVD rather than VCDS. eh kung hindi naman nagkakalayo ang presyo, eh di yung common na pinoy eh DVD na ang bibilhin agad.  Strategy nila yan.

I just hope that in the near future, distributors would do consider giving them DVDs justice by providing excellent quality.  I think it's wrong to sacrifice quality just to be able to make more sales.  Lower the price, increase the quality...yan ang tama!!!   ;)

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 03:52 AM »
;D ;D ;D

I also think that distributors are selling these DVDs to attract the lower market (those buying VCDs) into buying DVD rather than VCDS. eh kung hindi naman nagkakalayo ang presyo, eh di yung common na pinoy eh DVD na ang bibilhin agad.  Strategy nila yan.

I just hope that in the near future, distributors would do consider giving them DVDs justice by providing excellent quality.  I think it's wrong to sacrifice quality just to be able to make more sales.  Lower the price, increase the quality...yan ang tama!!!   ;)

unfortunately for us, business is business for them,
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 01:38 AM »
It doesn't matter.  I'm about to give up buying these things here anyway.  After this year, I'm going to stop buying all DVDs and wait for the HD-DVDs to come out.  This might mean going through the entire 2006 without buying anything.

well, try harder sir. 9 out of 10 "real collectors" have uttered the same line... over and over again.

it ain't over til it's over.

and before you say "Enough!" i hope you can give us a front row glimpse of your collection... before the year ends perhaps.

8)

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2005 at 02:00 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline cineaste

• Collector
  • Do whatever you wanna do with me, just do it right
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
I just hope retail stores here would sell more foreign titles, indies, "arthouse" stuff.  I hardly buy movies at the malls now.  Selections are just so crappy.
To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.

Offline cineaste

• Collector
  • Do whatever you wanna do with me, just do it right
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 10:38 AM »
well, try harder sir. 9 out of 10 "real collectors" have uttered the same line... over and over again.

it ain't over til it's over.

and before you say "Enough!" i hope you can give us a front row glimpse of your collection... before the year ends perhaps.

8)

KOREK!
To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 11:42 AM »
^ nobody quit collecting DVDs because HD-DVDs hasn't come out yet.  HD-DVDs should start hitting the shelves by this Christmas at an estimated price of $20 to $25 (generally $5 more than regular DVDs) according to the article I've read.  By then, it'll make it easier to quit buying because nakakahinayang na bumili ng DVDs kung ganyan lang kamura ang HD-DVDs.  I'll probably buy 20 more by the year end.  I'm scheduled to visit the US next summer anyway, hopefully the new format wars would have a clear winner by then.

I don't think I will quit DVD just because HD-DVD & BR are being released. HD movies will be a different breed of collection. We will have to buy a new HD player. It's going to be very expensive & not to mention all the HD movies. Furthermore, you will also need to get a HDTV to take full advantage of the HD movies. If you could afford all the nice stuff, sure why not  ;D

Anyway, it's not fair to compare HD discs vs the regular DVDs. Since your topic is pin-pointing the DVD quality in the Philippines has gone downhill (not all of them), perhaps it's time for you to look elsewhere as per other members' suggestions. If you can afford HD-DVD or BR, then I guess importing foreign good quality DVDs isn't a problem at all, is it?. Try ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2005 at 11:46 AM by pchin »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 04:14 PM »

Anyway, it's not fair to compare HD discs vs the regular DVDs. Since your topic is pin-pointing the DVD quality in the Philippines has gone downhill (not all of them), perhaps it's time for you to look elsewhere as per other members' suggestions. If you can afford HD-DVD or BR, then I guess importing foreign good quality DVDs isn't a problem at all, is it?. Try ;)

makes sense to me..   8)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 12:53 AM »
upinsmoke, you can actually help the industry not only via buying dvds released locally but through airing specific and valid concerns here or direct to the studios/companies that made them. there are actually several topics here where you can post complaints and suggestions. feel free to write but be careful of duplication.

i was previously in the same boat though i stopped "complaining" for the simple reasons that i became exhausted and i can easily purchase the dvds i want online or via marketplace. also, local distributors like Warner are improving----- releasing titles at competitive prices and similar to its regional counterparts. long way to go but positively in the right direction.

nice to know that you have purchased a DLP TV two months ago. any links where we can see your actual set? and oh.. hope we can see your dvd collection too which i assume majority has been bought "overseas".

sharing is helping too. looking forward.

--- hemisphere
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 01:13 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 07:29 AM »
The OMB commits no violation of the Optical Media Act of 2003 (RA 9239) or its Implementing Rules by allowing R1 DVDs in the Philippine market. They've already done it for some titles such as the LOTRs.

On the contrary, hindi ba the OMB is in fact violating the law by prohibiting R1s?

What say you, mga pañeros?

Nice reading material barrister. Thanks for the links.

I don't think the OMB directly prohibits the importation of Region 1 discs.

However, part of its duty in licensing local replication and sales is ensuring that proper agreements exist between local distributors/manufacturers and the respective copyright owners. The reason why third parties can't sell popular R1 titles (or any other region release for that matter) in the open is because they're violating the exclusive distribution agreements that companies like Warner, Viva, and Magna maintain with the studios.

Now if you're talking about DVD releases that aren't in the catalogs of the aforementioned distributors, then yes, it is possible to bring in the R1 versions as long as you can secure proper authorization from the copyright owner.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 07:56 AM by firewired »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 04:12 PM »
thanks sir upinsmoke. got it. :)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 05:36 PM »
It's about time that they amend the laws regulating between Magna, Warner & Viva with the studios. This will cause more influx of R1 dvds and more choices for the consumers like us. Imagine you dont have to go to other countries to browse actually those R1 dvds which you can't do while visiting amazon, barnes & noble, dvdempire and other on-line stores.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:17 AM »
The reason why third parties can't sell popular R1 titles (or any other region release for that matter) in the open is because they're violating the exclusive distribution agreements that companies like Warner, Viva, and Magna maintain with the studios.

Now if you're talking about DVD releases that aren't in the catalogs of the aforementioned distributors, then yes, it is possible to bring in the R1 versions as long as you can secure proper authorization from the copyright owner.

Ang alam ko, kaya ayaw nilang magtinda ng R1, natatakot sila na mapareho sila sa Megamixx na ni-raid ng VRB noong 2003, kung saan na-confiscate daw ang P1.5 M worth of R1 DVDs... :

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=10713.20

Bos firewired, please share your views:

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is an international organization that seeks the abolition of international trade barriers.  The Philippines has been a member of the WTO since the day of its establishment on January 1, 1995.

Do you think that DVD region coding violates the WTO's policy of "Trade Without Discrimination"?
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:29 AM by barrister »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 08:22 AM »
If I remember correctly, the raid against Megamixx was driven by complaints from the distributors and major retailers (like Astro). The VRB was a very different animal from the current OMB. Local representatives from the major studios (translation: people from Magna, Viva, and Warner) actually sat on its board in an advisory capacity. Did this influence the way that the VRB conducted its anti-piracy activities? Sure it did! I've always believed that the ridiculous notion of unlicensed, original Region 1 releases being legally perceived as no better than pirated DVDs was an unfortunate side effect of this pro-studio arrangement. So Megamixx, essentially, was selling unlicensed, pirated goods. Go figure.

Regarding the WTO, yes, I believe regioning is discriminatory. That's never been brought to court though. Going up against the studios is a very expensive endeavor, and no consumer organization has the kind of deep pockets and political influence that these guys have. And with the limited shelf life now of DVD because of the entries of HD-DVD and BRD, it doesn't look like regioning in its current form will ever be challenged.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 01:36 AM »
Thanks to Bos firewired for the quick and very enlightening reply.

I'm glad to hear about the change in policy concerning R1 releases.  Kaya pala may R1 na naman sa suking rental shop ko.

On the WTO issue, we'll really need a test case to resolve it. 

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 08:38 AM »
If you mean renting thru mail. It won't work. Post office can't be trusted yet! Not to mention the bad intention of some  would be members. ;D
There's something to learn everyday

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 09:22 AM »
If you mean renting thru mail. It won't work. Post office can't be trusted yet! Not to mention the bad intention of some  would be members. ;D

On top of it.. the ground mail process in Philippines is SUPER SLOW! Big Time!
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 07:57 PM »
Here's another idea, do you think a Netflix would work here?  It's highly successful in the US.  Wouldn't this put a big dent on the piracy business?  If you can't get people to buy originals then why not take their money through rentals instead?  Most people still think P65 for a DVD is still too much.  People still don't want to pay that much for obscure movies.  The all-you-can-rent-for-a-month will get business from the middle class as well.

There are already a few existing DVD rental stores. One in Rockwell (in the cinema area), another one also in makati but can't remember the street, One in Harisson Plaza, one in Adriatico street.

My last rental was 3 years ago...Usually each dvd is allowed for 2 days viewing. I can't remember the exact amount. Probably by now the rental has increased na.

I find such rental system to be very hassle due to the time constraint & failure to return the dvd on time will result in penalty... that's why I stopped.  :-\

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
Re: DVD quality in the Philippines has gone downhill
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 12:51 PM »
I've pretty much lost hope in Philippine R3s.

Trips to Astrovision aren't as exciting as they were a couple of years ago. Nakakabwisit lang.

The quality of our R3s hasn't just gone "downhill". It has hit rock-bottom.

All of a sudden, paying a $10-20 premium for R1s make a lot, lot more sense.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2005 at 01:01 PM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?