Author Topic: The War of the Worlds (1953)  (Read 1436 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The War of the Worlds (1953)
« on: Jul 31, 2005 at 12:57 AM »

Title: The War of the Worlds (1953)
Starring: Gene Barry
Released: 1st November 2005
SRP: Around $19.99

Further Details
Paramount Home Entertainment has kindly sent over artwork for a new special collector's edition of the original 1953 War of the Worlds which is widely regarded as one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. This single-disc special edition will be available to own from the 1st November this year, and should retail at around $19.99. Extra material will include an audio commentary with stars Gene Barry and Ann Robinson, a second commentary with film historian Bob Burns and Bill Warren, two featurettes entitled "The Sky is Falling: The Making of War of the Worlds" and "H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction", the complete Mercury Theater on the Air radio broadcast and the original trailer.

from DVDANSWERS

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
Re: The War of the Worlds (1953)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2005 at 01:14 AM »
I hope there's a box set that includes both new and old.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2005 at 06:00 AM »
I hope there's a box set that includes both new and old.

yeah, i hope so too.... 8)

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 07:31 PM »
did anybody else see the old release of this film on DVD?

i saw it on tower records and they're selling it for Php 895...

the price is too much, the release is practically barebone, the picture is 1.33:1 *Fullscreen, and the sound is only 2.0 Mono.

and they're selling it for this price?! that's just too much...  ???

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 08:07 PM »
yeah... to think that the vcd is selling for 75 or 99 pesos.

but, ive seen a dvd copy of this movie way before the new war of the worlds, and it was selling for 299 or was it 250 at odyssey festival mall. i just dont know if they still have it.

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 09:03 PM »
sumabay sa hype, kaya tinaas ang price.
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline Glenn Patrick

• Collector
  • I love New York!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 03:15 AM »
War of the Worlds - The 1953 invaders wake up with Nov.'s release of the 1st season
Posted by David Lambert
 8/03/2005

War of the Worlds was syndicated for two seasons back in 1988-89 and 1989-90. Jared Martin (who played "Dusty Farlow" in Dallas) starred in both seasons as Dr. Harrison Blackwood, and Highlander Adrian Paul came on board as "John Kincaid" for the second season. The show picked up right where the 1953 George Pal film left off, showing how the aliens didn't actually die from the Earth-bound germs, but instead went into a kind of hibernation, and were revived 35 years later to try a more insidious approach to conquering humanity!

DVDEmpire has added a pre-order listing that shows a November 1st release date for War of the Worlds - The Complete 1st Season. TVShowsOnDVD called the studio, and Paramount has confirmed that date for us, but we advise you that the cover art shown at DVDEmpire is early concept art, and has not been finalized at all, so consider it "temp art" for now (no surprise; the picture there looks very rough). The list price is $39.99 according to the e-tailer, but they are discounting it to $29.99 at the moment. Running time is 1086 minutes, and there are no other details yet.

The reason this release is arriving on that date, along with a "Special Collector's Edition" of the 1953 film, is surely to tie in with the expected (but not-yet-announced) DVD release of the new version of the film, which stars Tom Cruise. We don't know if that scheduling plan bodes well for fans eventually getting the second season of the show later on, because there won't be anything marketing-wise to tie in a Season 2 release with. Most fans, though, tend to lean toward enjoying the first season in any case, which contained Richard Chave's standout performance as "Lt. Col. Paul Ironhorse", along with Phillip Akin's role as "Norton Drake". Out of 42 episodes produced for the entire run of the show, 22 of them come from the first year, with lots of guest stars including Ann Robinson (reprising her role as Sylvia Van Buren from the 1953 film!), John Vernon, Michele Scarabelli, Jill Hennessy, Patrick Macnee, John Colicos, and many others. Stay tuned for updates on this cult classic release!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3821

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 07:17 AM »
Now available for pre-order at:
DVD EMPIRE = $8.58
AMAZON = $10.49

order na !  :)

Offline Glenn Patrick

• Collector
  • I love New York!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 10:53 PM »
War of the Worlds - Paramount's official package shot for the 1st Season
Posted by David Lambert
 8/12/2005

Earlier this month we reported on the first season release of the syndicated action series The War of the Worlds, based on the 1953 film by George Pal:

The attempted Martian invasion of the Earth in the 1950s was thwarted when the aliens fell foul of the common cold virus. But rather than die, the invaders simply went into hibernation and thirty years later they are revived and a second invasion attempt begins. The Martians can now possess human bodies and are opposed by a small band of resistance fighters.

In our previous story, we passed along our understanding that the cover art shown at DVDEmpire's pre-order listing was early concept art, and had not been finalized at the time. Now Paramount has distributed the final box art for this 6-DVD set, and it seems that this is the same concept they went with after all! Well, here's a much clearner shot of it, in any case:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3894