Author Topic: Problem with Toshiba DVD Writer  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Problem with Toshiba DVD Writer
« on: Aug 01, 2005 at 04:24 PM »
Hi,

I have encountered problem with Toshiba SD-R6472 DVD Writer. I used nero6 to burn but the problem is it fails to burn after reaching 20%. I tried this four times but the same problem occured. I used the P8 dvd-r from CDR King. Is this problem relates to dvd disk quality or in the burner itself. The connection is USB2 for both power supply and data cable.  Please help, thanks.
More titles coming soon...

Offline Bong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Problem with Toshiba DVD Writer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 04:28 AM »
A firmware upgrade might do the trick, but since you bought a cheap disc, it's more likely to be a "coaster" try looking at Ridata and Taiyo Yuden. I could guarantee that you will get nocoasters from these guys.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 08:10 AM »
I guess it's the power supply, from what I know external DVD writers are equipped with an AC power supply since it's power intensive when one is burning a disc. :-\
BTW, I presumed you used a desktop and not your laptop, since most forums would not advise one to burn with a laptop, when the external generates it's power from the USB.

Another thing you should check is the desktop's USB plug; It  should be 2.0 since a 1.1 plug (which is a common practice even with current motherboards that a 1.1 USB had been incorporated and a USB 2.0 is often optional)has difficulty supplying power even when one is just trying to recharge a mini IPOD. :'(

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 09:11 AM »
Eliminate the other variable first. Use reliable media.  If the same problem occurs, then it must be the drive.  I use an external usb2/firewire plextor drive with its own power supply using my ibm laptop,  I did encounter problems copying.  Error message: spindle failure error!!! turns out that the media is inferior, when I switched, problems disappear.

But even with internal cdr, the notebook manufacturer does not recommend copying using just the batteries of the notebook.