Author Topic: CD-R King Bad Policy  (Read 71999 times)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: CD-R King Bad Policy
« Reply #30 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 07:08 PM »
As I see it go to the pirates and buy their warez instead of going to CD-R King, fight with their idiot salesgirl, go home, rip DVD, make it fit into a DVD5 (afaik blank DVD9 arent available for resale yet), burn to DVD (praying no coasters), create a colored sleeve, make a colored CD label, stick em together and lend out. For a few more pisos you save time by going to a pirate. Kung sira you go back to em and they exchange. CD-R King has a no return policy for coasters

It's just me, but I'd rather have control over my backup, i.e., I can choose to shrink a DVD into DVD5 for some movies and spread over 2 DVD5s the other movies I don't want watch with compressed/compromised quality. I also save time from not having to go back to Q or wherever for 1 disk that's unwatchable on my player--also since I don't see the need to come up with colored labels and dvd jackets. As for coasters, I think, once you know the idiosyncracies of your burner, you'd know what dvd blanks work well and what to avoid completely for relatively coaster-free burning. And if there still is a coaster, popping another disk still beats having to go all the way to Q or your suking pirate for a replacement.

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #31 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 12:32 AM »
1. In my point of view you could go to a pirate and buy a ready made "backup" to lend out to your friends. You could even not have to open your original/licensed DVD at all and keep it sealed making it "mint" and watch the pirated  DVD. How much is the difference between a blank DVD, DVD case, piece of paper & some ink from a felt pen, electricity vs a drive to Virramall for a "backup" + the backup?

2. As you said it is fair use so it isn't illegal. What is bad is what pirates are doing is selling pirated DVDs to those without original copies of the DVD.

3. It is how you present it which makes buying a DVD to "backup" your original DVD that makes it technically... legal... I think. ;) Is it worth the hassle to deal with CD-R King's very competent salesgirls rather than go to a more accommodating pirate?

BTW what does Philippine law have to say about fair use? It cant be identical to that of the US. I just follow what is printed on the DVD or shown before the video is presented just to be safe. ^_^

I've done it before and told them point-blank that it's illegal to deny a customer replacements regardless of any sign or in-store policy they might have written down. It's a pain to do but you'll get your replacements.
Not to mention a waste of your time and not worth the aggravation.

Also, make it a point to demand official receipts. They owe you that. They owe the government that. If they say no, tell them (again) that it's illegal and that they could all get into trouble.
You can nail them on that account. Have the BIR knock em off. Death and taxes... ;)

It's just me, but I'd rather have control over my backup, i.e., I can choose to shrink a DVD into DVD5 for some movies and spread over 2 DVD5s the other movies I don't want watch with compressed/compromised quality.
The above and the statement below contradict. It takes less time to make manipulate a DVD to what you want than go to Quiapo? Do you by chance live in Baguio?
I also save time from not having to go back to Q or wherever for 1 disk that's unwatchable on my player--also since I don't see the need to come up with colored labels and dvd jackets. As for coasters, I think, once you know the idiosyncrasies of your burner, you'd know what dvd blanks work well and what to avoid completely for relatively coaster-free burning. And if there still is a coaster, popping another disk still beats having to go all the way to Q or your suking pirate for a replacement.
Again you spend on learning from one's mistake. You also spend electricity and internet time to learn how to defeat DRM/Macromedia and learn how to make backups. Once you have that knowledge you spend more time and money buying spindles worth of blanks and spend computer time and electricity to make DVDs.

In the end it doesn't matter what I or others think but makes you happy. All I wanted to do was share what insights i've learned from having the same hobby. Time was I used to  backup thousands of movies to Super VCD (was before DVDRs are cheap) but when I saw how much time and money I've spent doing this I stopped cold turkey. I have 1 whole wall covered with CDs that cant be reused unlike say a HDD. I also dont want to sell it cause I'm not a pirate.

Funny thing is the DVDs we try to save from damage will soon be made obsolete with the introduction of BD & HD-DVD. I have yet to hear of a DVD that appreciates in value.

If I recall correctly pirates now offer DVD9 copies of movies these days... so no more DVD5s. ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 12:34 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #32 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 06:53 AM »

The above and the statement below contradict. It takes less time to make manipulate a DVD to what you want than go to Quiapo? Do you by chance live in Baguio?

Huh?  ???

As I said, it's just me. As it's said, time is relative, and relative to my situation, the answer is yes, less time and effort, because with my schedule and Quiapo not just being around the corner from my house and work I need to make time to get to go there. And no, I don't live in Baguio.

If I recall correctly pirates now offer DVD9 copies of movies these days... so no more DVD5s. ;)

I thought so too, but not really true, at least not the so-called DVD9 copies I've checked using DVDinfo on my burner. They're actually just DVD5 disks.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 07:09 AM by gaol »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #33 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 07:14 AM »
As you said it is fair use so it isn't illegal. What is bad is what pirates are doing is selling pirated DVDs to those without original copies of the DVD.

It is how you present it which makes buying a DVD to "backup" your original DVD that makes it technically... legal... I think. ;) Is it worth the hassle to deal with CD-R King's very competent salesgirls rather than go to a more accommodating pirate?

Fair use is backing up your own copy. You could argue that acquiring a pirated copy is fair use as well since you own the original, but the purchase/transaction itself is considered illegal because of the nature of the goods.

On the other hand, you don't violate any laws by buying blank DVD-Rs and backing up your original DVDs. Heck, from my understanding of the law in its current form (and barrister, if you're reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't even address gray areas like backing up optical media you rented and optical media you borrowed. Republic Act No. 9239 (also The Optical Media Act of 2003) is very specific in censuring commercial activities like the illegal replication and sale of copyrighted content but it's pretty quiet when it comes to personal use.

BTW what does Philippine law have to say about fair use? It cant be identical to that of the US. I just follow what is printed on the DVD or shown before the video is presented just to be safe.

The fair use provision in RA 8293 (also the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines) is patterned after its US counterpart and is contained under Section 185.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 07:03 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
Ah ok.

Oh well  (as a consolation to myself), even with the added cost of the container, it's still cheaper to get the disks from CDR-King than from regular PC stores.

Another bad policy that has been mentioned before is their refusal to grant warranty for DVD disks, unlike CDRs/RWs. It doesn't make sense, since the possibility of certain disk brands being incompatible with one's DVD-writer is much greater than that for CDRs and CD-writers.

another pahabol... they wont replace any dvd disk on greenhills or any branch except gilmore..
i dont know why
they said pinagbibigyan lang kayo pag sa gilmore kayo bumili..
reason?
di daw nila alam..

actually with their stupidity of giving really bad customer service.. i found other distributor of cds which came cheap..
from spindles cdr and casing and from cd labelling.. basta bulk..

never again ill buy from cdrking except dvd r disc since i havent found any stores selling dvd fakes..

for sales inquiries about cdr that im selling.. pls email
[email protected]

thnx..

Offline silab

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 07:57 PM »
hi guys, i bought a spindle 50 pack dvd-r the ones that are generic, 4x optical quantum ang nakalgay sa labas, its still unopened, bought it last aug 13, do yu think i can replace it with those etop brand? heard good feedback about those medias. i bought it sa sm centerpoint and i have the receipt.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 08:07 PM »
No harm in trying. The eTop DVD-Rs are great. I burn 'em at 6X and they play flawlessly.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • D is for DVD, that's good enough for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 08:44 AM »
No harm in trying. The eTop DVD-Rs are great. I burn 'em at 6X and they play flawlessly.

Sir Firewired,

Which CD-R King branch do you buy these eTop DVD-Rs? Gilmore? I haven't seen them in Megamall nor Podium. And how much are they per disc?
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2005 at 08:48 AM by Stoned Wall »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 10:07 AM »
They are available in 10-piece packs from Gilmore branch. Retail is Php12 per disc so it's pricier than the usual generics. Discs are orange and rated at 8X. Used most of it to backup raw DV footage and my old edits so I burned at 4X to be on the safe side.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 03:07 PM »
They are available in 10-piece packs from Gilmore branch. Retail is Php12 per disc so it's pricier than the usual generics. Discs are orange and rated at 8X. Used most of it to backup raw DV footage and my old edits so I burned at 4X to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the info. Have to check out Gilmore coz I haven't been there for a long time.

It's hard to find cheap but good quality DVD-R's at CD-R King Megamall and Podium. They only have the Philips and Sony brands at Php30/pc.

To get back to the topic, I totally agree that the "No Return, No Exchange" policy should be complained to the proper authorities considering that DVD writers are choosy in the blanks that they prefer. This also goes for the suposedly 'free' cakes. Lastly, better service orientation to the saleladies. Minsan feeling mo ayaw nilang mag-benta!  >:(

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #40 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 05:00 PM »
E-top is already available in CD-R King megamall. I was there yesterday.  I wanted to get this but because of a very very tight budget I had to settle for the cheaper media. But based on Firewire's recommendation I'm gonna get me those next time. I need reliable media for backing up my MP3s and comics scans.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 10:02 AM »
E-top is already available in CD-R King megamall. I was there yesterday.  I wanted to get this but because of a very very tight budget I had to settle for the cheaper media. But based on Firewire's recommendation I'm gonna get me those next time. I need reliable media for backing up my MP3s and comics scans.

Thanks for the info indie boy! Will check-out CD-R King Megamall later in the afternoon.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 10:16 AM »
I suggest buying a pack of 10 first for testing on your drive. It was recognized by my Pioneer A07 so I was able to burn reliably at high speeds. On the other hand, My laptop's DVD+R/-R/RAM Matsucrapa drive is extremely picky and recognized the eTop discs as 2X only.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 11:18 AM »
I just looked at my purchase at SM Megamall -- and pleasantly discovered that I actually bought the E-Top media, hehe. Dami ko kasing nabili this past week from different branches of CD-R King that I've mixed up the brands. E-Top is really good.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 03:05 PM »
I was disappointed when I went to CD-R King Megamall around 11am today only to find out that they've ran out of the E-Top DVD-R. They only had the DVD+R variety with the same rated speed (8x) and price (Php12/pc). I asked one saleslady as to when they will replenish their stock and as usual, walang silbe ang sagot coz hinde raw nila alam kung kailan magkakaroon.

I tried my luck and went back around 2pm. Low and behold, they have replenished their E-Top DVD-R stocks. Bought 30pcs. to test. They do charge Php15 for the 10-disc holder but opted not to buy them.

Sir Firewired, I've noticed that the writable part of the E-Top disc looks like the the Top DVD-R's that was sold by CD-R King a couple of months ago for Php8 each. I hope that they perform the same way also. Will let you know if my BTC writer likes them by tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.  ;)

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 06:35 PM »
I've also tried both DVD+R and DVD-R of e-Top and i have to say consistent talaga yung burn.  I posted some scans of the DVD+R at the DVD+R compatibility thread.  The DVD+R has a MID code of EMDP000 while the DVD-R, DKMZ01 (the same dye used for the good batches of the Premium DVD-R).  I just hope CDR-King will keep on selling these media as it works great for both my data and movie backups.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
Exactly! Except that while the old Premium DVD-R maxed out at 4X, the eTop version handles 6X without difficulty. Have you tried scanning an 8X DVD-R burn? I'd do it myself but the Pioneer drives aren't compatible with the tests.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2005 at 07:07 PM by firewired »

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
Not yet, but I do have a scan for one burnt @4X.  Hindi kasi kaya ng enclosure ko ang 8X speed.  I'll try it on a friend's BenQ and I'll post it kung available na.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #48 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 02:05 PM »
I bought a 256 MB Flash Drive from CDR-King Megamall last July and have been using it extensively until 3 days ago, it cannot be identified by the computer anymore.  Even the LED light doesn't light.  They have a sticker with the date when I purchased it on the flashdrive.  May warranty daw ang flashdrive.  I will try to have it replaced...hope they would be accomodating enough. :-\ 

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 20, 2005 at 10:41 AM »
kasi bibili pa kasi ng bulok na kagamitan dyan e..

sa sunod dont buy there junks except cds..

ayan tuloy... :-\ :-\

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 20, 2005 at 06:34 PM »
snapy- mukhang malaki ang galit mo sa cdr-king ah...ill try the replacement tomorrow baka naman mag-ok. kung hindi...sasama nako sa kampon mo >:D >:D >:D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 06:52 AM »
Went to CDR-King Megamall and asked if I can have my defective flash drive replaced.  The attendant just frowned and looked at the package I brought.  The package was complete with the flash drive, box, manual and CD driver but I wasn't able to find the receipt though.  They asked for the receipt and I wasn't able to bring it.  They told me that if I come back with the receipt, they will send the flash drive to their main office for assessment if it can be repaired if not then they will think about it if they will replace it.  The waiting period daw is one month for them to repair it or replace it.   :-\

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #52 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 07:23 AM »
doc mel -- charge to experience na lang yan  ;D

bros, pa post naman pic ng e-top .. tnx
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #53 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:27 AM »
ok ung E-top sa Liteon dvdr..kaya lang dapat 4x lang ang burning speed mo..kasi humihinto :(

Anyway, kung gusto nyong masira ang araw nyo, just drop by CDRKing in MegaMall...Kung bibili ka, dapat siguro nsa mood ka...kasi kung wala, sira talaga araw mo  At kung napatapat ka pa sa model employee nila...ibabagsak na lang sa istante ung binili mo na parang hindi fragile ung mga disks...At eto pa, ikaw ang may kasalanan pag di mo sila inintindi.  Ive never been treated so bad... to think na ang dami kong binili...pag 2 piraso bibilin mo...isasagot sayo. "huh, 2 piraso?!!" sabay simangot. hmm... 1 lang ba ang may ari ng lahat ng CDRKing? or franchise ito? Mr.Owner ng CDRKing sa megamall.., kung nasan ka man... wla lang

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:41 AM »
ok ung E-top sa Liteon dvdr..kaya lang dapat 4x lang ang burning speed mo..kasi humihinto :(

Anyway, kung gusto nyong masira ang araw nyo, just drop by CDRKing in MegaMall...Kung bibili ka, dapat siguro nsa mood ka...kasi kung wala, sira talaga araw mo  At kung napatapat ka pa sa model employee nila...ibabagsak na lang sa istante ung binili mo na parang hindi fragile ung mga disks...At eto pa, ikaw ang may kasalanan pag di mo sila inintindi.  Ive never been treated so bad... to think na ang dami kong binili...pag 2 piraso bibilin mo...isasagot sayo. "huh, 2 piraso?!!" sabay simangot. hmm... 1 lang ba ang may ari ng lahat ng CDRKing? or franchise ito? Mr.Owner ng CDRKing sa megamall.., kung nasan ka man... wla lang

to think about it.. i got some information abt whos handling cdrking..

1. yes isa lang mayari ng lahat..
2. no its not franchised and they would not allow franchise since mababa na daw ang tubo ders no room for franchise
3. the owner of this is NICHOLSON SANTOS.. since nung simula cya ang owner ng hardware nung wala pa ang cdrking...
4. nasaan cya? according from my source of information.. naglilibot lang yan and not checking his stores.. minsan makikita mo pa daw yan sa SM naglilibot lang... wla lang he doesnt care about his shops..

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #55 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:56 AM »
Sna magkaroon na sila ng matinding competitor, para naman may choices tayong mga consumer...ska para na rin gumanda ang customer service nila... :)

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 02:07 PM »
Sna magkaroon na sila ng matinding competitor, para naman may choices tayong mga consumer...ska para na rin gumanda ang customer service nila... :)

actually may iba namang shops tulad sa recto na tago nga lang... i buy those cds like melody white.. ok naman ung performance.. pero kung sa dvd di ko pa alam kung saan bibili ng maganda..

Offline redisol

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:10 PM »
There's also a new shop along Ogpin St named CDR2GO.   Similar and items nila sa CD-r king per di ganun karami.  Last time  I went there meron silang Melody, Sigma and some other brands na DVD recordables.   Don't know if the quality is ok.  Di ko pa na-try bumili. 

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 08:56 AM »
There's also a new shop along Ogpin St named CDR2GO.   Similar and items nila sa CD-r king per di ganun karami.  Last time  I went there meron silang Melody, Sigma and some other brands na DVD recordables.   Don't know if the quality is ok.  Di ko pa na-try bumili. 

actually melody white platinum is good for cdr.. sigma same din.. but i dont know if the price.. can u give good feedback abt d price?

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:43 PM »

Nakabili na rin ako ng E-top na dvd-r 8x na yan, yes my liteon dvd16x dual drive can detect 8x burn speed but cannot proces sand burn it corretly at 8x, error sya at verification, pero burning it at 4x no problem sya. So far since this is one of the cheapest 8x kuno avail at cd-r king, im opt to buy  number of these pangbackup lang ng ps2 games and some of my orig dvds na rin for protection purposes.

Again it only burns at 4x, dont attempt at 8x, badly burned sya for sure.