Author Topic: Back to the Future disc details  (Read 48350 times)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Back to the Future disc details
« on: May 13, 2002 at 04:27 PM »
Finally!  ;D

http://www.bttf.com/backtalk/20020510.shtml

A spokesperson for Universal Pictures International Video in London has provided us with the official list of bonus features on the upcoming international release of the Back to the Future Trilogy boxed set.  While specific release dates and countries have not yet been finalized as of this writing, I'm told that the boxed set will be released internationally beginning in September of this year.

Confirming rumors we've heard elsewhere, all territories will release the set on DVD with the three discs, with most releasing the first film also as a separate DVD. The two sequels will not be released separately at this time.  Each territory is free to decide whether or not to also release the films on VHS, so those chosing to do so may release each film individually on video.
The following is the official text which will appear on the back of the boxed set:

Presented by filmmaking legend Steven Spielberg, directed by Oscar winner Robert Zemeckis, and starring time-travelers Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, the phenomenally popular Back To The Future films are back for the first time ever on DVD! Digitally re-remastered and packed with additional footage and features, you'll be able to relive the adventure time and time again. OVER 10 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES!
The following are the official contents of each disc contained in the boxed set:

Disc 1

Back To The Future movie
The Original Making Of featurette - a rare BEHIND THE SCENES look.
A Look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
ALL NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY with Michael J.Fox, Director/Writer Robert Zemeckis & Producer/Writer Bob Gale.
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
Original MAKE-UP TESTS.
HOVER BOARD TEST on location.
Did you know that? Universal's animated anecdotes: watch the movie and learn more interesting facts
PRODUCTION ARCHIVES - photographs, original storyboards & props.
Huey Lewis & The News music video POWER OF LOVE.

Disc 2

Back To The Future II movie
The Original Making Of featurette - a rare BEHIND THE SCENES look.
A look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.

Disc 3

Back To The Future III movie
A look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
ZZ Top music video DOUBLEBACK

There you have it this is the official list of bonus features as provided to us straight from Universal for the international worldwide release.  At press time, the official artwork wasn't finished yet, but we do expect to receive it soon along with the official press release and release dates for each region.  While we do not yet have the official specs for the U.S. release, we do expect some changes to this list — particularly on the sequels, which are expected to be released individually as well as part of the boxed set.

[size=-3](Added by benny, Jul 06)[/size]

dobler, I hope you don't mind if I add Pinoydvd's preorder link to Amazon:

[/url]  

Back to the Future - The Complete Trilogy (Widescreen)  $41.24 (25%) Dec 17.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2002 at 07:08 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future on DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002 at 03:50 AM »
It seems R4 will be the first to have BTTF. Some R4 online shops already have it for preorder. From michaeldvd:

Back To The Future Trilogy - by Michael D
Those that deciphered the Swami's recent cryptic message will know this already, but we can now officially confirm that Back To The Future will be released as a trilogy box set on 21st August 2002 in Australia. That makes us the first territory in the world to get the Box Set, with the rest of the world following in September - it'll make a nice Father's Day present (that's why we're getting it a little early). Pricing will be around the $60 mark, which is going to guarantee mega-sales of this 3-disc set. Features are still not quite set in stone, although the list on www.bttf.com is likely to be pretty much spot-on.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2002 at 03:51 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future on DVD - News
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 01:24 AM »
Update from dvdfile:

"... But although Universal has all but confirmed that a Region 1 release will come by the end of the year (check out Universal's DVD website for a look at the preview trailer), it's worth noting that the specs announced for the overseas versions of the trilogy will not be the same as the eventual Region 1 release. We've received some news from Back to the Future producer Bob Gale himself that production is still underway for some of the features, and director Robert Zemeckis recently held a Q&A session at his alma mater, the USC School of Cinema-Television, that was recorded for the Region 1 DVD. So, be warned. Those who just can't wait and are thinking of ordering the overseas editions of the trilogy, you may want to hold off until the official announcement comes for the domestic release. There just may be a few surprises in there...?

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2002 at 01:27 AM by benny »

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 04:16 PM »
From DVD Shrine

click to enlarge

All-New Audio Commentary with actor Michael J. Fox, director Robert Zemeckis and producer-screenwriter Bob Gale
Hilarious Outtakes
Deleted Scenes
The Hover Board Test
The Making of Back to the Future Featurette
“Animated Anecdotes”
Production Archive
Newly Remastered 5.1 Digital Soundtracks
And Much More!
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2002 at 04:36 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 09:07 PM »
And it's already up for preorder at Amazon:

[/url]  

Back to the Future - The Complete Trilogy (Widescreen)  $41.24 (25%).

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2002 at 07:00 AM by benny »

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 09:02 PM »
from DVDReview:

" The trilogy is arriving. Seventeen years after the film's release, the Back to the Future trilogy is coming to DVD from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Now a great list of features has been announced for these titles, but peppered with some news that may be fine with some and unpleasant for others.
The year is 1985 — but not for long. Because teenager Marty McFly is about to be blasted back to 1955 aboard the plutonium-powered DeLorean created by eccentric genius Doc Brown. But when Marty accidentally keeps his parents-to-be from falling in love, it triggers a time-shattering chain reaction that could vaporize his future -- and leave him trapped in the past! Now Marty's last hope is to change history before the clock runs out on his only chance to get himself "Back to the Future." Marty and Doc then return to the future and then the far past in one of history's rare trilogies that remains wonderful throughout.
After the precedent set by E.T., Universal seems to be embracing some concerning new trends, namely packaging large collectors packs without offering films individually, and relying too much on their online partner Total Axess. That trend continues with the Back to the Future releases as the entire trilogy will be available together in some unique new packaging, but not available individually. Although many fans of the series will be picking up the trilogy anyway, this won't cause them much concern, but more casual fans may not want to spend the extra money for three films. The discs themselves will be filled with wonderful features. Two versions of the set will be made available. One set will contain the films in anamorphic widescreen, the second set in fullscreen. All other features will be the same starting with audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound. The extras will include an audio commentary with actor Michael J. Fox, director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale, outtakes from all three films, deleted scenes (no mention either way on the controversial Eric Stoltz footage), hoverboard tests, the featurette "The Making of Back to the Future", fun facts placed throughout the films, a photo gallery, the Huey Lewis music video, a teaser and original theatrical trailers. Universal has also decided again to make several interviews, clips and other materials to be available exclusively through the Total Axess web site and not on the DVD itself.
Scheduled to appear in a flash of light on December 17th, the trilogy will be priced at $39.95."

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future disc details
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 07:55 PM »
Official press release already posted at dvdfile.

Click here

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 12:01 PM »
From DVD File

Universal has just updated their official Back to the Future DVD website with a six-minute peek at the various supplements to be included on the upcoming 3-disc DVD set. Cool stuff, so check it out.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 06:53 PM »
Menu Screens

Offline Downhill Boy

• Collector
  • I have Buffy. You don't.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2002 at 01:58 AM »
Coolness!!! Can't wait for this DVD!

By the way, WHAT controversial Eric Stoltz footage???

Offline subtitle

• Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2002 at 09:18 AM »
regarding Eric Stoltz, taken from imdb.com

He was originally cast as Marty McFly in Back to the Future (1985). After filming about 1/3 of the movie, they fired him and hired Michael J. Fox. They said that Stoltz didn't act enough like a teenager.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2002 at 09:23 AM by subtitle »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2002 at 10:45 PM »
Here's the UK Region 2 box design:

Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 12:31 PM »
Last week I was on an offshore training on Germany. The Back to the Future Triology boxed set (same cover with region 2 UK design) is already available in Germany for 44 Euro (around P2,200). Same feature with R1 except for the DTS track which is in German language, English track is on DD5.1 only.

Sayang yung DTS track German language, hindi ko tuloy binili.

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2002 at 01:42 PM »
Hey guys!!

Check out DVDFile's Back to the Future Trilogy review!!
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2002 at 01:43 PM by himura_drew »

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2002 at 03:47 PM »
Last week I was on an offshore training on Germany. The Back to the Future Triology boxed set (same cover with region 2 UK design) is already available in Germany for 44 Euro (around P2,200). Same feature with R1 except for the DTS track which is in German language, English track is on DD5.1 only.

The R1 doesn't have DTS at all. So you should have bought that copy na sana. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2002 at 03:48 PM by sgc_wdi »

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 06:02 PM »

You're right pare...sana binili ko na!...SAYANG!

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 10:31 AM »

You're right pare...sana binili ko na!...SAYANG!

when i searched for this dvd on amazon the technical features indicated a dts track on the dvds

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 10:43 AM »
I think a couple of reviews online mentioned there is no DTS on R1, only on other regions.

BTW, are all R2 DVDs PAL?

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 12:21 PM »

BTW, are all R2 DVDs PAL?

Hi!

R2 Europe is PAL. R2 Japan is NTSC.

[shadow=GRAY,left,300]PARC[/shadow]

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 02:14 PM »
Parc thanks! do they in most cases, have the same features? I mean R2 Europe and R2 Japan?

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 05:08 PM »
Parc thanks! do they in most cases, have the same features? I mean R2 Europe and R2 Japan?

As far as I know, hindi eh. They have different features and it depends on the DVD/title to judge which is better. Iba-iba kasi.

[shadow=GRAY,left,300]PARC[/shadow]

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 08:04 PM »
I see... thanks.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2002 at 04:53 PM »
from DVDReview:
"The extras will include an audio commentary with actor Michael J. Fox, director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale, outtakes from all three films...

Now that the discs are out, I can say that DVD Review's initial list of the special features is wrong.

The scene-specific audio commentary track does not include Michael J. Fox and Robert Zemeckis. Heard on the track are producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, and it's really boring. Most of the stuff they discuss also turns up as text on your screen as pop-up factoids if you set that feature on, or is already discussed in the various documentaries included with the boxed set.

The track with Robert Zemeckis is not scene specific. In fact, it's not a commentary, it's a Q&A session and plays in the background while the movie runs, and has no correlation at all with the corresponding scenes.

The Michael J. Fox "commentary" can be accessed by clicking "enter" on your remote when a clock flashes at the bottom of your screen. He'll then appear in a small box on the screen, but what he talks about is not scene specific, either. It's like a guy just reminiscing about making the movie. I don't know if my disc is defective, but when you activate this feature, the movie completely STOPS at the end of Chapter 7. Can someone confirm this is normal, that he only has comments until that chapter?

"...deleted scenes (no mention either way on the controversial Eric Stoltz footage)"

That description from DVD Review was wrong, too. In part one of the new making-of documentary, they discuss how the movie was cast: when Michael J. Fox was thought to be unavailable, they screen-tested 2 other guys: Eric Stoltz and C. Thomas Howell. They all wanted Howell, BUT a studio executive insisted on Eric Stoltz, to disastrous results. They also showed one picture of Howell as Marty McFly, and several stills of Eric Stoltz from the initial version of the film:

Image from BTTF.com, the #1 BTTF information resource.
What bugs me is that although they explained that they had to recast the role of Jennifer (the girlfriend) when Michael J. Fox took over the lead (the original, Melora Hardin, was 2 inches taller than Fox), they still have not explained what has always been the biggest mystery to me: why Jennifer turned into Elisabeth Shue for Parts 2 and 3!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2002 at 04:59 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline subtitle

• Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2002 at 05:40 PM »
from http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0096874

Elisabeth Shue was cast as Jennifer, and all the closing shots of Back to the Future (1985) were re-shot for the beginning of this film. Claudia Wells (I) (Jennifer in Back to the Future (1985)) had disappeared from the acting scene in 1987 for undisclosed reasons

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 10:57 AM »

I don't know if my disc is defective, but when you activate this feature, the movie completely STOPS at the end of Chapter 7. Can someone confirm this is normal, that he only has comments until that chapter?

hey Mr Hankey, i tried the Michael J Fox pop up feature and yes, it does stop after chapter 7. i wonder why they did this instead of just having the interview as a separate feature altogether.  ???

Offline Fox Mulder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 11:49 AM »
can someone comment on the "picture" on the discs? yung sa akin kase, parang malabnaw yung pagkaka print nung picture sa discs (all 3).

Offline subtitle

• Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:12 PM »
hi Fox Mulder, i think the printing on the discs are normal. medyo may pagka holographic ang dating, just like the cardboard box. here are some pics of the discs:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1162082&t=9668

btw thanks again for the copy you sold me. yung part 3 di ko pa napapanood, pero yung dalawa ok naman  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:13 PM by subtitle »

Offline Fox Mulder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 03:04 PM »
many thanks SUBTITLE for your purchase and the clarification.......

whew!! akala ko may "defect" na yung set ko.

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 09:14 AM »
The Digital Bits reports that there are problems with the framing of BTTF 2 and 3 and that Robert Zemekis and Bob Gale are pissed with Universal Studios. Looks like the studio is going to offer to replace the defective disks.  Read the story here.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2002 at 09:23 AM by quasar »

Offline subtitle

• Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 10:35 AM »
more info on the framing problems & replacement by universal

http://www.jupiter2.com/eo/eo_exclusive/back_to_the_future_cropped.html