Author Topic: The Lord Of The Rings DVDs  (Read 155807 times)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Lord Of The Rings DVDs
« on: Jul 04, 2001 at 11:31 AM »

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Platinum Special Extended Edition)  $23.99 (40%), Dec 14.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Collector's DVD Gift Set)  $55.94 (30%)

Sorry for the title, couldn't fit so I had to shorten it. Anyway DVDfile has posted that....

"just announced by Warner are the 70's animated versions of The Lord Of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Return Of The King (the first courtesy of Ralph Bakshi.) Each disc retails for $19.95 and streets on 9/11, though the full specs are still unknown.

Now Available at Amazon:

The Hobbit  $14.98

Lord of the Rings  $15.99

The Return Of The King  $15.99

[size=-4]Edited Jan 17,2002[/size]

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Widescreen Edition)  $22.46  (25%), Aug 06.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 12 release date:

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition)

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2004 at 09:07 PM by benny »

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
Re: LOTR , The Hobbit and The ROTK (animation)  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2001 at 12:31 AM »
Anybody buying this? I saw this recently after reading the books and I must say that movie fell WAY BELOW my expectations.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2001 at 07:59 AM »
I'm not. I've read that the animation was not too good. I'll wait for the live action movie/s.  :)

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2001 at 06:30 PM »
Me neither. I just hope that the live action movies do a much better job.

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2001 at 04:56 PM »
While waiting for the live action films, you might want (I know I do) the unabridged 13 cd set instead (okay, so it's not dvd but still  ;D) :

[/url]

The Lord of the Rings : Audio CD Box Set, unabridged 13-CD BBC dramatization [UNABRIDGED]

With Ian Holm!
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2002 at 03:52 AM by benny »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Re: The Lord Of The Rings DVDs
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 02:14 AM »
Posted by benny in another thread:

From the official Lord Of The Rings fan club:

http://www.lotrfanclub.com/

You can be immortalized in the credits of The Lord of the Rings.
Sign up for a one-year charter membership and your name will appear in the credits of The Fellowship of the Ring DVDs.

Sign up for a two-year charter membership and your name will appear in the credits of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers DVDs.

Sign for a three-year charter membership and your name will appear in the credits of the DVDs for all three films: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Names will appear in alphabetical order. Names will be featured in the credits of the DVDs only; not the theatrical release of the films. (It would take too long for the credits to scroll in the theater.)

Rates for one year:
  • U.S Charter Membership $39.95
  • Canadian Charter Membership $48.95
  • International Charter Membership $66.95

Posted by benny in another thread:

Latest news from TheOneRing.net:

... For now, Mr. Mittweg (president for worldwide distribution and marketing) said, New Line plans to release DVD and videocassette versions of "The Fellowship of the Ring" in August. Attached to it will be a full-fledged trailer of "The Two Towers" including dialogue scenes and plot points.

More details about the upcoming DVD:

LOTR: Plans Announced for 4.5 hour version

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 02:41 AM »
Let's make sure that the Director's Cut DVD does become a reality! Voice your feelings in a petition that asks for a full uncut version of The Fellowship of the Ring, including all the Deleted Scenes reincorporated back into the film proper, not as separate outtakes on a second disc. Just so New Line knows there's a market out there...

http://www.petitiononline.com/LoTRdvd/petition.html

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 09:12 AM »
I have fond memories of the Tolkien animated movies. Of course they can't compare to the Peter jackson live action, but the Bakshi movie did introduce me to the trilogy and managed, for all its awkward artwork and stumbling narrative, to keep the wonder in for me.

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 11:41 AM »
Thanks for moving the other posts in this thread, Phobos!  :) So, is this the all-in-one Lord of the Rings dvds thread? Hehehe... I spruced up my first post slightly to add The Return of King dvd. Also linked the images to Amazon.

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 11:57 AM »
Related items, not dvds :

[/url]

The Lord of the Rings (Boxed Set, Film Art Cover)

Find your way around Middle Earth : Official Movie Guide, Visual Companion, Photo Guide.

Can someone say "National Bookstore?"  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2002 at 03:59 AM by benny »

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2002 at 04:20 PM »
Lord of the Rings, DVD for P300 lang sa greenhills. How i wish this wasnt a pirated copy. grabe ang piracy sa greenhills, pati yung oceans 11 meron na sa DVD  :P
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2002 at 10:14 AM »
He he he.
Taga masyado pirated DVDs sa greenhills. Sa Quiapo, PhP170 lang yung mga yun.
Bought a copy there of the LOTR DVD for that amount.
Hanep! Moving menu sa umpisa with Frodo's face an hand moving, with the ring.
Yung special features, almost DVD quality na yung video. As in crisp yung video nya.
Yun movie mismo, well, super linaw sya, and not kopya sa sinehan. However, magandang VCD copy lang sya. Pixels abound in "fire" scenes, and action scenes, lalo na yung takbuhan nila sa cornfields(?)
Yung english subs were pretty awful. "Hoppitts?" at madami pang bloopers sa subs that need note mentioned. Pero kung gusto mong tumawa while watching LOTR, keep the subs on. Ha ha ha!
At syempre, bakit sya malinaw( think, orig na VCD quality)
Reason being its a demo copy, complete with the WARNING! Demo copy only! If youve rented, or bought this tape, kindly cal 1-800 etc.
Isang plus factor is that its widescreen.
So, its a good buy, if you have a DVD player, and would rather have it on 1 disc, rather than waste PhP450( im assuming an orig VCD release in the future) and contained in 3 VCD discs.

Offline gonz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2002 at 10:43 AM »

He he he.
Taga masyado pirated DVDs sa greenhills. Sa Quiapo, PhP170 lang yung mga yun.
Bought a copy there of the LOTR DVD for that amount.
Hanep! Moving menu sa umpisa with Frodo's face an hand moving, with the ring.
Yung special features, almost DVD quality na yung video. As in crisp yung video nya.
Yun movie mismo, well, super linaw sya, and not kopya sa sinehan. However, magandang VCD copy lang sya. Pixels abound in "fire" scenes, and action scenes, lalo na yung takbuhan nila sa cornfields(?)
Yung english subs were pretty awful. "Hoppitts?" at madami pang bloopers sa subs that need note mentioned. Pero kung gusto mong tumawa while watching LOTR, keep the subs on. Ha ha ha!
At syempre, bakit sya malinaw( think, orig na VCD quality)
Reason being its a demo copy, complete with the WARNING! Demo copy only! If youve rented, or bought this tape, kindly cal 1-800 etc.
Isang plus factor is that its widescreen.
So, its a good buy, if you have a DVD player, and would rather have it on 1 disc, rather than waste PhP450( im assuming an orig VCD release in the future) and contained in 3 VCD discs.

Battousai -- kindly refrain from discussing pirated DVDs outside of the one thread we have designated for that purpose:  DVD Piracy

Also, when you say that the pirated DVD of Lord of the Rings is "a good buy," you are practically endorsing piracy.  This is expressly forbidden in the PinoyDVD User Guidelines, to which every member agrees when they sign up:

"By using this forum, you also agree that you will not post for sale or trade any pirated DVD (or other media), nor will you solicit the sale or trade thereof. Nor will you post statements in favor of DVD piracy, or advocating pirated DVDs as legitimate alternatives to original DVDs. DVD Piracy is illegal, and this forum does not support it in any way, shape or form. Furthermore, PinoyDVD has designated one thread for the purpose of discussing the issue of DVD Piracy. Discussion of the issue is not encouraged outside of that thread, and we will edit/remove any attempt to do so."

Kindly follow our guidelines.  Thanks.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline gonz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2002 at 10:55 AM »

Lord of the Rings, DVD for P300 lang sa greenhills. How i wish this wasnt a pirated copy. grabe ang piracy sa greenhills, pati yung oceans 11 meron na sa DVD  :P

joms -- kindly refrain from discussing pirated DVD outside of the one thread we have designated for that purpose:  DVD Piracy.  Thanks.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2002 at 11:11 AM »
Ooops. Sorry, gonz. :o
Thanks for the reminder.

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2002 at 10:11 AM »
I guess we have to wait for the official announcement from New Line on Mar 26. From dvdfile this tidbit:

"... if you just can't wait to find out what New Line's plans are for the Lord of the Rings DVD release(s), well, you don't have much longer to wait. As is the case these days with big releases, we just received an announcement of... the announcement. On Tuesday, March 26, New Line will be prepping the world for the new Lord of the Rings DVD and VHS releases, and needless to say, it's gonna be huge! So check back on March 26 for the big news... "

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
Re:The Lord Of The Rings DVDs
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2002 at 02:09 PM »
Benny already posted the release date of this in the Calendar thread.  Di ko na nilagay dito ang exact date at baka mapalitan pa later on.

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2002 at 03:56 PM »
Got this from DVDfile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring will be released in no less than four versions this year. On 8/6, separate widescreen and pan & scan versions will be release, each a two-disc set with identical extras features. Disc one includes the film presented in English Dolby Digital Surround EX and Dolby 2.0 surround (sorry, no DTS). Disc two is where all the goodies are at, and retail will be $29.95 for either the pan & scan or widescreen editions. The extras to be found on disc 2 include:

3 in-depth documentaries that reveal the secrets behind the production of this epic adventure, including "Welcome to Middle-earth" in-store special as shown by Houghton Mifflin, "The Quest for the Ring" as debuted on the FBC Network, and "A Passage to Middle-earth" as premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel

15 featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net, which explore the locales and cultures of Middle-earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler and others.
Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of the next The Lord of the Rings theatrical release, "The Two Towers"

Enya "May It Be" music video

An inside look at the special extended DVD edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Preview of Electronic Arts' video game "The Two Towers"

Original theatrical trailers and TV spots

Exclusive online content only available to DVD-ROM users via a special website set to go live on street date
Then, on 11/12, New Line will release a mega four-disc set, with a new extended cut of the film created by Peter Jackson himself, and featuring over 30 minutes of additional footage. This cut of the film will be Rated R due to some extended violence, and no retail price has yet been set for this release. The now nearly four-hour film will be spread over the first two discs and presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen (alas, no sound format information is yet available.) Unfortunately, all the supplements for the 4-disc set are still in production, so final details were not revealed. However, the disc is planned to include 3 audio commentaries and another four hours of bonus material. It is also not yet known if all the features on the "standard" two-disc set edition will also be included here.

Last but not least, New Line is also planning on release a special limited edition gift set of the 4-disc set, with two bookend statuettes by sculptor Sideshow Weta, the National Geographic "Beyond The Movie" DVD, and several collectible Decipher game cards. There were also rumors floating around that after all three films are done and released, a fifth mega-box set of all three with possible additional material may be released, which would be sometime in 2004.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm waiting for the 4-disc director's cut dvd ;D Unfortunately, the movie is spread out over 2 discs.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2002 at 04:01 PM by halo »

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2002 at 04:23 PM »

Got this from DVDfile

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring will be released in no less than four versions this year. On 8/6, separate widescreen and pan & scan versions will be release, each a two-disc set with identical extras features.

<snip>
Then, on 11/12, New Line will release a mega four-disc set, with a new extended cut of the film created by Peter Jackson himself, and featuring over 30 minutes of additional footage.

<snip>

There were also rumors floating around that after all three films are done and released, a fifth mega-box set of all three with possible additional material may be released, which would be sometime in 2004.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm waiting for the 4-disc director's cut dvd ;D Unfortunately, the movie is spread out over 2 discs.

I realize this is gonna kill my wallet and the studios are milking our enthusiasm for what it's worth---but Lord help me, I am actually contemplating buying both DVDs. And the last one on 2005, hopefully the SE.

Any one know when the VHS tapes will be released?

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2002 at 02:14 AM »
Dvdfile has also just posted the LOTR menu screens:

link.

NY152

« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2002 at 03:58 PM »

Any one know when the VHS tapes will be released?

SciFi.Com reports that it will be simultaneous DVD/VHS release dates for both versions in the States. The August 6 DVD release has two hours of supplemental material and the 10 minute Two Towers preview, while the VHS will only have the preview. They also report that the November 12 4 disc set now looks like it will have 6 hours of supplements.

I'm not sure who handles New Line video releases locally... but weren't the Austin Powers VHS/VCD releases done by... VIVA?  ???

Either way, Astro Virra Mall already has the LOTR poster in their main display window... so maybe we're getting it a lot SOONER on VHS than in the States?

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2002 at 06:24 PM »
From The Digital Bits:

We're getting a lot of e-mails from readers asking if the special features set to be included on the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring (due on 8/6) will be repeated on the special extended version (following on 11/12). The answer is no. The documentaries and web featurettes are being included on the theatrical edition because a lot of fans have requested them. But since the special extended version includes an entirely new cut of the film, everything that will be included on that later edition is being custom created specifically for that release, for a more adult audience and to go MUCH deeper into the making of the film trilogy than what was seen in any of the TV specials. The idea is that most DVD consumers will be satisfied with the theatrical edition, while more sophisticated fans will wait for the extended edition. The most diehard fans will probably want both, as they perfectly complement each other but do not overlap.

Also, just to clarify, each DVD version includes a SEPARATE edit of the film. The 4-disc special extended set DOES NOT include the theatrical cut of the film on a separate disc or via seamless branching. If you want the theatrical cut, you have to buy the August 2-disc set. If you want the longer cut, you buy the November 4-disc edition. If you want both, save your money accordingly and buy both. Some people may feel that this is an effort to milk consumers, but I don't think so at all. In order to include everything you'll be getting on both editions, New Line would have to create a single 6-disc release, which would be WAY too expensive for most consumers to even consider. This way, they can have DVD purchase options for everyone. And by not having any overlap between the two editions, fans who buy both are absolutely getting the most for their money. Just think... over eight hours of unique special edition material alone on these two releases, not including the films themselves! If you're a fan, I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

This means I might end up getting the theatrical edition AND the collector's gift set. I wants it, my precioussss!  :-\ :)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2002 at 11:30 PM »
Well...I'm gonna wait until both releases are sure to contain different material. If they are, then I'm getting both no matter what my wallet says and if the boxed set that comes out sometime in 2004 contains even more unreleased material?.......siiiiggghh

Offline warpzone

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 12:49 PM »
will this have an R3 release since Warner Home Video is the Studio that will release it?

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 01:01 PM »

will this have an R3 release since Warner Home Video is the Studio that will release it?

Will Warner be releasing LOTR?  Baka naman, gaya ng Harry Potter, fullscreen version din ang release nila dito.  For those in the know, any news on the R3 release?

;)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 01:47 PM »
No less than 4 versions? All the more reason for me to refrain from buying this DVD and wait for 2004/5.

I'll probably just rent this one while waiting.

Thank God for Movie Depot.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2002 at 12:16 PM »
Preview of what the DVDs will look like:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1019257808

Offline BaD_BURN

• Collector
  • Overworked and underpaid
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2002 at 10:00 AM »
Got this from www.lightsoutentertainment.com:

"Yesterday, the most amazing thing happened. My wife picked up the mail and walked over to me, a package in her hands. "There's something here for you," she said. I really wasn't expecting anything, but when I looked at the package, my heart started racing. I didn't know why, but I knew it was something special. Like a child who's overanxious on Christmas morning, I snatched it from her hands. My heart was pounding faster and faster as I tore through the packaging. When I opened it, my breath caught in my throat and my eyes bulged. "What is it?" she asked. I tried to speak, but no words would come out. Dumbly, I extended a trembling hand, showing her what it was. "Cool," she said, then turned and went about her business. Cool? This wasn't cool&#8230; this was the DVD of Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring. This was freakin' amazing! This disc isn't released until August, yet I was holding it in my hand. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it."

You can check out the site for more details and some screencaps.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2002 at 10:01 AM by BaD_BURN »

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2002 at 04:05 PM »
Can anybody please elaborate the differences between the 4 versions? I'm really kinda confused...

I'd appreciate any clarifications, thanks!!! :)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2002 at 04:35 PM »
I'll try Dante,

Theatrical 2-disc set: Obvious

Director's Cut 4-disc set: The director included several scenes not shown in the theatrical release. Movie is spread out into 2 discs, the rest are extras.

Limited Edition Director's Cut 4-disc set: Same as above except the packaging looks like old parchment or leather (I think!)

Box Set: A box set consisting of either the Dir.Cut or the Limited ed. plus a dvd of "National Geographics; Behind the Lord of the Rings", and 2 LOTR themed bookends.

There you go Dante. Popular rumor states that the extras in the 2-disc and the 4-disc sets are different. If it's true, good luck in deciding which to get, or good luck in saving up for this ;)

Note: I forgot if the 4-disc sets are actually 3-discs. One or the other. ???
« Last Edit: May 28, 2002 at 04:45 PM by halo »