Author Topic: The Lord Of The Rings DVDs  (Read 156130 times)

Offline weddingsingr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Lord Of The Rings DVDs
« Reply #60 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 01:25 PM »

Hi guys ;D

Finally all Lord of the Rings FANS  outhere! I already bought a copy of mine Region 1 DVD.  sa SPECTRA its located at Parksquare 1 tel. 8185493.  Hurry baka maubusan kyo!

Marky ;D

Magkano LOTR duon? Puro Widescreen ba o mayroon din Full Screen?

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • I like DVD's music and Blu-rays.
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 02:56 PM »

Hi guys ;D

Finally all Lord of the Rings FANS  outhere! I already bought a copy of mine Region 1 DVD.  sa SPECTRA its located at Parksquare 1 tel. 8185493.  Hurry baka maubusan kyo!

Marky ;D

Hey, how much is it there? I got mine in Greenbelt.  ;D

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 03:13 PM »

Hi guys ;D

Marky ;D

REGION I??? <thunderstruck>

Are the VHS tape and VCD versions released as well?

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 03:25 PM »
Hey marky_santos - how much is the LOTR at Spectra?

To those who bought it already - any plans of buying the 4-disc version later? I'm thinking about it and I'd like to get other opinions/views. Thanks guys!  :D

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 03:57 PM »

Hi guys ;D

Marky ;D

REGION I??? <thunderstruck>

Are the VHS tape and VCD versions released as well?

Yup Region 1! Direct from Taiwan for the US Market! I guess that's where NewLine Cinema decided to have it produced this time! A pirated copy is even available now of the original in Greenhills. Sad. But I got the real stuff! About VHS and VCD versions? if they've got the pirated DVDs already, then they would surely have them in VCD and VHS as well...but who buys VHS nowadays...VCDs or DVDs have been swamping the market. Less tedious to reproduce.

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 05:42 PM »
hi gumby,

i still plan on buying the 4 disc set since magkaiba daw yung features and the movie itself.   :D

2 disc - theatrical version
4 disc - extended version (30 mins ata)

got mine from EBTGmike.  for those who wants to get their copies na go to his thread.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=818;start=new

dni

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 07:25 PM »
ello guys,

i got it at php 1,550.00 2 disc set.  cool stuff and nice feutures!

marky ;D

Offline ulan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 04:22 AM »
my friend got hers, too and she wrote a description of the contents for our little Tolkien club  ;)

http://philippinetolkiensociety.fateback.com

galing daw talaga....waaahhh...tagal dumating nung akin!

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 07:52 AM »
Hey Ulan,
Saw your tolkien club website!WOW! Tolkien fan this is a must see!Didn't know this existed here.Galing! Very nice Site!

Elf 8)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 10:42 AM »
For DTS fanatics, you won't be disappointed with the Dolby Digital EX.  I would say the audio quality is comparable to Star Wars Episode 1.

You can expect a lot of surround audio.  Yuong mga scenes na may mga arrows flying eh feel na feel mo ang direction ng sound from one channel to another.  The scene with the fireworks also sounded great.  Well actually lahat ng mga action scenes eh maaaliw ka sa audio.

The record level of the audio is a bit loud so medyo alalay lang kayo sa volume controls niyo.

The subtitles are also excellent.  You can now read those very whisper-like talk from the movie.

If you happen to watch those bootleg copies na clear na may Property of New Line Cinema, the original is indeed a very big improvement (as expected).

The only sort of Easter Egg I saw was just the DVD credits which you can access if you select the New Line Cinema logo on the Main Menu.

Though the 10-minute behind the scene Two Towers preview is very interesting, I found the preview of the 4-disc Director's Cut more appealing as you can see patches of the scenes they added.  Mapapabili ka talaga ng Director's Cut.  

Plus you'll appreciate buying the Director's Cut more when you learn that a lot of things were done for the DVD like additional musical scoring, etc.

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 03:29 PM »
I got my copy yesterday from PARC and I'm very happy with it. The first thing I did when I got home was pop in disc 2 and watch the special features. I especially liked the previews of The Two Towers and the Special Extended Edition. The Sci-Fi Channel documentary was good too. Since I'm such a fan, I was already planning to buy either the Extended Edition or the Gift Set, but this DVD just added to my excitement. Can't wait for November! And December! :)

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 04:09 PM »
I think this is one of those 2-disc DVD uunahin mo pang sisilipin or panoorin or kumpletuhin ang disc 2 over the disc 1 main feature.

Kapag nilabas na siguro ang Director's Cut, I can imagine people viewing all the added scenes before eventually watching the complete movie.

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 05:14 PM »
 ;D Well well well, what more can I say?  ;D

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 05:53 PM »

;D Well well well, what more can I say?  ;D

MORE! MORE! MORE! Like detailed descriptions - with spoiler labels, of course.  :D

Forgive my raving like a hungry dog, but my supplier said that mine will arrive by 2nd week of August pa. <groan> When that disc does come, I'll lock myself in my room for 2 days and watch everything from movie to special features.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 05:55 PM »
Quote from: Tanoreion but who buys VHS nowadays...VCDs or DVDs have been swamping the market. Less tedious to reproduce.
[/quote

Oh believe it or not I *still* do. I don't like the pixelations of VCDs. My must-collect movies I buy in DVDs. But the second favorites, I try to buy in VHS.

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 06:40 PM »

Quote from: Tanoreion but who buys VHS nowadays...VCDs or DVDs have been swamping the market. Less tedious to reproduce.
[/quote

Oh believe it or not I *still* do. I don't like the pixelations of VCDs. My must-collect movies I buy in DVDs. But the second favorites, I try to buy in VHS.

True, true, VCDs can be pretty sucky when it comes to mpeg-1 compression. it's like comparing a low quality 8 bit JPEG image (VCD) to a 24-bit BMP image for mpeg-2 compression (DVD). VHS is analog. Pixelation is just unbearable even for original copies. (i'm just making an analogy, I'm not saying that mpeg-1 is jpeg format or mpeg-2 is bmp format.) well, why wait until the second week of august? have you paid for it already?

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 06:50 PM »
Quote from: Tanoreion well, why wait until the second week of august? have you paid for it already?
[/quote

I ordered from my supplier whom I really like and whom I've done good business with. Though I haven't paid, I gave him my word. If I buy from the shelves, he'd take a loss. Iyon lang.

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 08:46 AM »

Quote from: Tanoreion well, why wait until the second week of august? have you paid for it already?
[/quote

I ordered from my supplier whom I really like and whom I've done good business with. Though I haven't paid, I gave him my word. If I buy from the shelves, he'd take a loss. Iyon lang.

That's nice to hear! Good client/business relationship is still being observed.  :)

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 02:24 PM »

MORE! MORE! MORE! Like detailed descriptions - with spoiler labels, of course.  :D

As you wish. :)

There are three documentaries, one by Houghton Mifflin, one for Fox TV, and one for Sci-Fi Channel. The third one is the longest, clocking in at around 38 mins, and it's also the most in-depth. There are a lot of clips and interviews used in mutliple documentaries and featurettes however, so you'll hear a lot of the same quotes over and over.

The Fox TV docu is nice too, mainly because of the behind-the-scenes clips, like:

LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD!

- Viggo cutting and eating a birthday cake and going fishing while still in costume.
- Orlando Bloom skydiving, snowboarding and bungie jumping.

The preview of the Special Extended Edition showed some interesting scenes that were cut like:

- Frodo and Sam seeing a group of Elves walking through the trees in the Shire.
- The cave troll in Moria hitting Boromir across the room.
- Galadriel giving Sam a rope and asking Gimli what he would ask of her.
- Bilbo writing his book.
- More scenes with Aragorn and Arwen in Rivendell.

And then there's the Two Towers preview, which is 10 mins. long. Here you see:

- Andy Serkis in motion capture sessions for Gollum.
- Peter Jackson introducing the new characters, like Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer, Faramir, and Wormtongue.
- An army of Uruk-hai attacking Helm's Deep.
- PJ talking about them finding the perfect location for Edoras, capital of Rohan.
- PJ talking about the huge miniature they built of the fortress of Helm's Deep.

There's lots more to see of course, but this is all I could remember off the top of my head.

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 02:35 PM »
Here's some interesting LotR movie news from TolkienOnline.com:

Extended Version of FotR to Hit Theaters?

In the latest issue of the LOTR Official Fan Club magazine, Peter Jackson has a very interesting quote when asked, "Is there any chance that the expanded version of The Fellowship of the Ring will ever be shown in theaters someday?" PJ's tantalizing response? "That's definitely not been decided in any way. What we are doing, which is significant, is finishing the movie on 35 millimeter (film)....we are delivering the extended cut as a complete 35 millimeter film. So it would be perfectly possible to have a print that can be screened in theaters...I know that there has been talk at New Line about whether or not there should be a limited release of The Fellowship in November or December, just prior to The Two Towers....I don't think that anyone has made that final decision, but I would certainly push that."

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2002 at 02:01 PM by Titus »

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 03:14 PM »
ANother marketing crap! Why didnt he make that extended cut of his before?Hes becoming george lucas

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 05:38 PM »

As you wish. :)

There are three documentaries, one by Houghton Mifflin, one for Fox TV, and one for Sci-Fi Channel. The third one is the longest, clocking in at around 38 mins, and it's also the most in-depth. There are a lot of clips and interviews used in mutliple documentaries and featurettes however, so you'll hear a lot of the same quotes over and over.

The Fox TV docu is nice too, mainly because of the behind-the-scenes clips, like:

LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD!

Appreciated. :)

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Aug 01, 2002 at 10:17 AM »
Oh yes! don't forget what's in store in the Featurettes! ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 07:15 AM »
Hey guys,
The 2 discs that is available now in marketplace, does it have the 30 minute deleted scenes or do we have to wait for the 4 discs?
Elf 8)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 08:41 AM »

Hey guys,
The 2 discs that is available now in marketplace, does it have the 30 minute deleted scenes or do we have to wait for the 4 discs?
Elf 8)

We really have to wait for the 4-disc set to come out this November.  They are reserving the 30 minutes worth of new scenes for the special edition para may rason tayo na bumili uli!  What is included in the 2-disc set is just a preview of the one coming out this November.  According to the preview, they even had new composed, arranged and recorded for the additional scenes!

rafgar
:(

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 09:23 AM »

Hey guys,
Elf 8)

We really have to wait for the 4-disc set to come out this November.  They are reserving the 30 minutes worth of new scenes for the special edition para may rason tayo na bumili uli!  What is included in the 2-disc set is just a preview of the one coming out this November.  According to the preview, they even had new composed, arranged and recorded for the additional scenes!

rafgar
:(

Yup yup! That's why I'm also getting the Special Extended Edition this November! It's a must for collectors!  ;D

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 02:31 PM »
Too bad for those waiting for the R3, release has been postponed indefinitely.  Only the VCD and the VHS will be released on August 6, 2002.

So kung super inggit na kayo sa mga may R1 copies at pwede naman sa player mo ang R1 eh bili na kayo sa mga ka-tsokaran nating mga taga PinoyDVD na may mga advance copies nang binebenta.

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 02:38 PM »

Too bad for those waiting for the R3, release has been postponed indefinitely.  Only the VCD and the VHS will be released on August 6, 2002.

So kung super inggit na kayo sa mga may R1 copies at pwede naman sa player mo ang R1 eh bili na kayo sa mga ka-tsokaran nating mga taga PinoyDVD na may mga advance copies nang binebenta.

Hmmmm...where was it announced that the R3 versions would be postponed indefinitely? Anyway, that would be such a bummer.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 04:15 PM »

Hmmmm...where was it announced that the R3 versions would be postponed indefinitely? Anyway, that would be such a bummer.

Sinabi ng mga taga Astro sa akin yesterday.  Madami kasing nag-aabang sa kanila nito.  Eh baka mag-expect ang mga customers sa Aug. 6 so sinasabihan na siguro nila yuong mga nag-aabang.

Offline Little David

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 08:28 PM »
Passed by Astro last Wednesday and they told me that LOTR was to be released in a week, and not a word about a DVD delay. Hmm.

If the R3 DVD is to be delayed, then for once my impulsiveness would have done me some good. That same day I passed by another outlet where I sometimes get R1s, and they had a couple of the two-disc widescreen R1s left. I succumbed and bought one, despite my determination not to get it until the extended version comes out at the end of the year. Couldn't resist the additional features and the ten-minute Two Towers preview. Besides, when you are holding the actual thing in your hand, its hard to prevent the other hand from reaching for your wallet.

Well worth it, I think. Ashamedly, I have a clear bootleg copy of LOTR (the one with the unintentionally hilarious subtitles), a gift from a well-meaning friend, and I've watched it countless times. But on seeing the legal copy, God, the clarity is breathtaking. It's like watching a whole new film.

I figure I can gift a good friend a well-watched R1 LOTR DVD in November (and another a well-watched bootleg), or maybe sell it cheap and spread the joy a little, before I buy the extended version.  :D

Adel
Be silent and thought a fool; speak up and remove all doubt.