Author Topic: Falling Prices  (Read 3170 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Falling Prices
« on: Aug 17, 2005 at 08:12 AM »
Prices for flat panels have finally begun to tumble -- by as much as 35 percent in the past year -- as soaring demand for the two leading flat-panel technologies, plasma and liquid crystal display, or LCD, attracts a host of new competitors.

Full story on CNN.com: Flat-screen prices finally tumbling

We're starting to see this locally as well. Every time I visit an appliance or A/V store, there's usually an ongoing plasma promo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 42" flat panels finally break the P100-K barrier next year.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Falling Prices
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:00 PM »
This a welcome development.  Though just last week, there was a JVC show here at SM Sucat and the prices for their plasma is still P259T. 

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 07:54 AM »
the new panasonic 42 inch plasma 8 series has a 1599US street price plus shipping. The 7 series locally still comands a price of around 175t with a free Yamaha S120 htib
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 01:39 PM »
I really am pissed off by the high prices of these flat panels. The worldwide prices are coming down but in the Philippines the prices are still very high. I hope there will be some enterprising individuals that can import these products at fair and reasonable prices.

If people will not be dupped by these high prices, maybe prices will finally come down. Let your voices be heard that you will not tolerate such practices by importers and distributors that prey on unsuspecting buyers about the real prices of these products.

You can get a panasonic 50 inch plasma for around 165t in the US. What is more mind boggling is the price differenceof the 65 inch model. the US price is around 400 to 450t, they are selling it locally for 980k. go figure
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 10:31 AM »
Could be wrong but I think these plasmas are categorized as luxury items by customs and are taxed 100%.  Seems to me that the only way these plasmas can become affordable is if we have a local assembly plant.  Much like most of those regular TVs. 

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
Prices are dropping the Pana 7th gen can be had for P138 K... But for me i might get it only w/ component input and stand for P117k (walang built in tuner at speaker) ... I think the 8th gen is coming soon.. They dropped P10K in price 2 times in a months period...

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 05:17 PM »
That should be interesting. I've always wanted just a plain Plasma monitor.  No built-in speakers and amps (what for when you have better 5.1 receiver and  speakers?)  No built-in tuners (what for, there won't be HDTV broadcast here for the next 10 years.)  Take these out and a 42" plasma might hover just in the 100T range, right?

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2005 at 08:56 AM »
If you can make your own wall mounting bracket or stand , you can save another 12k off the 117 K price so thats just P105k w/ component input...

If you can work w/ only PC input that would put it just below 100K

BTW , the available built in tuner is for normal cable broadcast only, not HDtV, but the reception and scaler is quite good enough , I don't have a dedicated HT setup so this is also our normal TV..

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2005 at 10:54 AM »
That should be interesting. I've always wanted just a plain Plasma monitor.  No built-in speakers and amps (what for when you have better 5.1 receiver and  speakers?)  No built-in tuners (what for, there won't be HDTV broadcast here for the next 10 years.)  Take these out and a 42" plasma might hover just in the 100T range, right?

Try audible illusions(?) in timog beside the former lexus and look for ashley, he offered me plasma na bare lang since he mentioned the same reason you did in getting a bare plasma. speakers,tuners and brackets really add up the cost of the unit.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
Very tempting.  ;D  100T for a 42" plasma!    ;D

CNN says the prices are expected to drop within the next 12 months.  Will see.  Don't mind waiting a few more months.   ;D  Thanks guys.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 06:38 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Prices of high end Monitors/TVs sa Ansons in Glorietta activity center shows that prices are indeed going down.  merong ibang nakasale or slashed down ang mga prices.

Even the plain Flat TVs are getting cheaper already with the introduction of slim TVs from panasonic and samsung. 

Ganda nung sa samsung.  Pricey nga lang at P80,000 for the 32" widescreen Slim TV.

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 05:03 PM »
Prices for flat panels have finally begun to tumble -- by as much as 35 percent in the past year -- as soaring demand for the two leading flat-panel technologies, plasma and liquid crystal display, or LCD, attracts a host of new competitors.

Full story on CNN.com: Flat-screen prices finally tumbling

We're starting to see this locally as well. Every time I visit an appliance or A/V store, there's usually an ongoing plasma promo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 42" flat panels finally break the P100-K barrier next year.

In Singapore, it is possible to get a 42" Plasma for around Php 90K +. However with that kind of price, I'd expect the model to be compatible only with Standard Definition (low resolution).

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 05:06 PM »
Could be wrong but I think these plasmas are categorized as luxury items by customs and are taxed 100%.  Seems to me that the only way these plasmas can become affordable is if we have a local assembly plant.  Much like most of those regular TVs. 

As an example,  In Singapore the Sony Bravia KLV-V40A10 cost roughly Php 180K+ there, while the same model is sold here for Php 279,990 or roughly 50% more (based on the price in Singapore).