Author Topic: Alexander: Director's Cut/Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut  (Read 6673 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Alexander: Director's Cut

Here's a peek at Warner Home Video's upcoming two-disc release of Alexander: Director's Cut. The special edition release is being billed as the "breathtaking new cut of Oliver Stone's sweeping epic film." Click on the thumbnail for a better look. One thing's for sure, the only way to get the theatrical cut would seem to be one of the many non-region 1 editions.

from www.davisdvd.com
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 at 09:56 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
Re: Alexander: Director's Cut
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 12:22 PM »
Wow.A director's cut.Haven't watch the movie yet.but they say it's not that good.is it true?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 01:34 PM »
Warner Home Video Germany has announced Alexander for release on May 26th. The Oliver Stone-directed film will be available in both a standard single-disc edition, as well as a two-disc premium edition. Each comes with a 2.35 anamorphic transfer, English & German Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks. Extras on the two-disc set include an audio commentary with Stone, "Fight Against Time: Olive Stone's Alexander" documentary, "The Making of Alexander" featurette, cast interviews, trailers and TV spots. Although unconfirmed, all signs point to these discs featuring the theatrical cut of the film.

Over in Italy, the film will be available on May 17th with an anamorphic transfer of the theatrical cut, Italian and English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras on this two-disc set include commentary with Stone and Alexander biographer and Oxford University Professor Robin Lane Fox, "From the Story To the Movie," "The Work of the Actors" and behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers and DVD-ROM weblinks. In Denmark, the film is actually now available again in both single and two-disc editions. Each comes with a 2.35 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks. Extras on the two-disc include the "Fight Against time: Olive Stone's Alexander" documentary, "The Making of Alexander" featurette, cast interviews and trailers. No commentary however for the Danes. The UK gets single and two-disc editions on July 4th.

Most interesting is a three-disc set due in Region 3 Hong Kong on May 5th. This set comes with an anamorphic transfer, English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks, the "Fight Against Time" documentary, international featurettes, cast interviews, B-roll footage, sound bites and trailers. What the third disc includes is still a bit fuzzy, but interestingly the run time for the film is listed as 275 minutes. Whether this is a typo, or it means this is some super-extended edition is as-of-yet unknown.

from www.davisdvd.com

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 07:33 PM »
very nice pics from Sir HEM "u da man!". anyways about the comments from different critics they say its the Alexander "Not so Great" movie of Oliver stone! but i guess i'll grab a copy of that directors cut for my collection.  ;) Di naman sila always right.
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 07:42 PM »
dude, get the HK LE. :)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 09:22 PM »
nice cover art! thanks brod hemisphere... :) :) :)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2005 at 06:17 AM »
Wow.A director's cut.Haven't watch the movie yet.but they say it's not that good.is it true?

i haven't watched this movie also :(......to those who have already watched this, please give us your reviews or insights on the movie itself, thanks in advance...... 8)

Offline talisman30

• DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2005 at 08:37 AM »
dude, get the HK LE. :)

ordered for my copy na boss hem  ;) mid of may daw dating

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2005 at 08:55 AM »
ordered for my copy na boss hem  ;) mid of may daw dating

Where? Baka meron pang oorder, pasabay naman  ;D Thanks!

Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline Gideon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005 at 07:05 AM »

i haven't watched this movie also :(......to those who have already watched this, please give us your reviews or insights on the movie itself, thanks in advance...... 8)

Watched this movie already, it's not much of an action-packed movie. 

More on travelling and drama.  And sometimes kinda gay scenes.
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005 at 11:56 AM »
Most interesting is a three-disc set due in Region 3 Hong Kong on May 5th. This set comes with an anamorphic transfer, English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks, the "Fight Against Time" documentary, international featurettes, cast interviews, B-roll footage, sound bites and trailers. What the third disc includes is still a bit fuzzy, but interestingly the run time for the film is listed as 275 minutes. Whether this is a typo, or it means this is some super-extended edition is as-of-yet unknown.

This is already available in HMV in Hong Kong daw since yesterday. My copy will be here by Friday night. I'll post pictures/a review of disc contents over the weekend.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005 at 12:06 PM »
This is already available in HMV in Hong Kong daw since yesterday. My copy will be here by Friday night. I'll post pictures/a review of disc contents over the weekend.

Yahoo!! i cant wait.. . :)

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005 at 03:33 PM »
great to know meron director's cut nito.. ;D the movie didnt do great in box office,like other films of stone,but very controversial lagi.. ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005 at 09:18 PM »
The movie failed miserably at the box-office but the dvd release will give it a second life.

It's not Stone's worst film but commendable enough.

Offline talisman30

• DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005 at 12:36 PM »
i totally agree bro ron!!! like we talked about i guess what matters is the portrayal of the film by the actors and the movie makers ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
I posted images/specs already for the limited edition Hong Kong 3-disc release, which is not the director's cut, sorry. They're in the Region 3 section, in this thread.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005 at 01:40 AM »
for collectors, i have read that the R1 release (director's cut) would be shortened by more or less 10 minutes compared to the theatrical cut. :)

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005 at 05:02 AM »
for collectors, i have read that the R1 release (director's cut) would be shortened by more or less 10 minutes compared to the theatrical cut. :)
So it's not director's cut? it's edited edition.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005 at 05:24 AM »
So it's not director's cut? it's edited edition.

Its still a director's cut. However its how the director (Oliver Stone) envision its presentation in the home video format rather than adding scenes which were not shown in theaters he took effort removing what he thinks unnessary scenes for the films presentation (after all, its theatrical release was a major flop at the box office.. maybe he thought lessening the original theatrical release would please its consumers int he DVD market).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005 at 05:27 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
yep, that's right xage. 

8)

Offline talisman30

• DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
Title: Alexander
Starring: Colin Farrell
Released: 2nd August 2005
SRP: $29.95 Each

Further Details
Warner has announced theatrical and director's cut releases of Oliver Stone's Alexander which stars Colin Farrell, Val Kilmer, Anthony Hopkins and Angelina Jolie. Both will be available to own from the 2nd August this year, priced at around $29.95 a piece. Each will carry a lovely 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extra material on the theatrical edition will include a commentary by Oliver Stone and historian Robin Lane Fox, a Resurrecting Alexander documentary which explores the filming of Alexander, a Perfect is the Enemy of God documentary that provides an in depth look at the details that go into the filming of an epic and a featurette on the soundtrack. Warner has yet to confirm the features on the director's cut, although seeing as they are priced the same - features could be identical. Also worth noting, Warner lists the Director's Cut runtime as being 167 minutes, and the theatrical cut at 175 minutes. Make sure you stay tuned for further details, and the official artwork.

posted from DVDANswers

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005 at 04:31 PM »

Also worth noting, Warner lists the Director's Cut runtime as being 167 minutes, and the theatrical cut at 175 minutes. Make sure you stay tuned for further details, and the official artwork.

Bakit longer yung theatrical cut than the director's cut?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005 at 09:53 PM »
Bakit longer yung theatrical cut than the director's cut?

Oliver Stone thinks the movie failed in the box office due to its homosexual undertones, so he cut out a lot of the interaction between Colin Farrell and Jared Leto for his "Director's Cut."

Yeah, as if that was the problem with this really dragging film!  ;D

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1242
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
from DVD Times:

Alexander (R1) in August - Final Specs added
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Alexander for 2nd August 2005. Oliver Stone recreates the towering, true story of Alexander the Great (Colin Farrell), who in the 4th Century BC conquered Greece, Persia, Afghanistan and India- 90% of the known world.

On DVD Oliver Stone presents a new cut of his sweeping epic alongside a separate DVD release of the original theatrical cut. The 2-Disc Alexander: Director's Cut (with special features and commentary) will be available at $29.95 SRP in widescreen format. The single disc Alexander: Director's Cut DVD (film and commentary) will be available at $27.95 SRP in full screen format. Alexander The Original Theatrical Version 2-Disc with special features will be available at $27.95 SRP in widescreen format.

The double disc editions of Alexander include the following bonus features:
Commentary by Oliver Stone. (Director's Cut Version)
Commentary by Historian/Alexander Biographer Robin Lane Fox. (Original Theatrical Version)
Four Penetrating Profiles Of An Epic Screen Event With Cast And Crew:
     Resurrecting Alexander
     Perfect is the Enemy of God
     The Death of Alexander
     Vangelis Scores Alexander
Theatrical Trailer
DVD-ROM PC Web Link to the Online World of Alexander the Great

The press release has the following to say on the Director's Cut (referred to as 'The Final Cut')...

Academy award winning director Oliver Stone presents a breathtaking new cut of his sweeping epic film, ALEXANDER, the true story of the world’s greatest warrior. Using footage never seen in theaters and dramatically reshaping dozens of scenes, he brings to life the overpowering forces and fierce personalities that forever changed history. Torn by the war between his parents (Angelina Jolie and Val Kilmer), Alexander (Colin Farrell) left Greece to face massive armies in Persia, Afghanistan and India -- and was never defeated. "Fortune favors the bold" Stone powerfully demonstrates in this bold new film, ALEXANDER THE FINAL CUT.

The dramatically original FINAL CUT re-imagines and re-shapes the original theatrical film with virtually hundreds of edits and re-configurations of sequences, in exactly the kind of vigorous creative action that stands as a trademark of this endlessly inventive director. As Stone says, "We shot a mountain of rich material on ALEXANDER. The first cut was accomplished in 7 months, this second cut in 10 months. Each represents a different approach to a very tall mountain." The new ALEXANDER THE FINAL CUT and the original theatrical version, also on DVD, will invite comparison and controversy for years to come.

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005 at 02:30 AM »

Alexander (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition Director's Cut) (2004)

$20.96

Alexander (Widescreen Two-Disc Theatrical Special Edition) (2004)

$20.96

Alexander (Full-Screen Single Disc Director's Cut Edition) (2004)

$19.56

available for pre order at amazon.will be available on August 2 :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005 at 02:38 AM by baby »

Offline digitalprincess

• Apprentice
  • BITBLASTERSDVD.COM
  • Liked:
Alexander
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 05:33 AM »
I can say that they shoot this movie in a very good location, the slaughter of soldiers conquering kingdoms,
will give us a little bit of picture what had happened in our country's history, in order to gain its identity and independence.
This movie is worth watching if you like history, wars and good cinematography.  My rating :  *** 1/2 stars.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2005 at 05:34 AM by digitalprincess »

Offline dragonrower

• Collector
  • www.pc-experts.org
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 10:12 PM »
Stone to Deliver Three Hour Forty-Five Min. 'Alexander' DVD!

I had a chance to sit down with Oliver Stone to talk about World Trade Center this afternoon (more on that interview in a few days) and he casually mentioned a THIRD version of Alexander. Whaa?? I couldn't let a topic like that go by and when pressed for details the great director had this to say:
"I'm doing a third version on DVD, not theatrical. I'm going to do a Cecile B Demille/Oliver Stone three hour forty five minute thing, I'm going to go all out, put everything I like in the movie. He was a complicated man, it was a complicated story and it doesn't hurt to make it longer and let people who loved the film and see it more and understand it more," he said.

I was a little surprised because I had assumed (as I'm sure some of you had) that the director's cut was the final say on Alexander. We got back into World Trade Center after that but near the end of the interview I just had to ask him why he'd go back to the well on this one and when we could expect to see it. Again, he didn't disappoint.
"I love working on it because I love the movie. I hope to have it done in two months, a month and a half and then it's up to Warner. It will be a catalogue item, I don't think they'll go out and make a big thing of it."

So there you have it, a third cut of Alexander coming to a DVD machine near you. I know I'll be interested to see it because it's one of the rare instances to see where a film became broken and how a master storyteller would go about putting it all back together. Stay tuned for the rest of the illuminating interview...

---ropeofsilicon

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Alexander: Director's Cut... again
« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 06:33 PM »
Director Oliver Stone recuts his 2004 film, "Alexander," for the third time and plans to release it onto DVD.

http://www.dvdtown.com/announcement/directoroliverstonerecutsalexa/3791/

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 02:43 PM »
I read this one also and it makes me re-think if I'm going to avail of this 3rd version now. I usually go for Director's Cut edition like those of Ridley Scott's, but I didn't get the director's cut of this one when it first came out because i did not like the movie at all and because of the reviews I'd read.

3rd version? Well... let me see... and wait again for those reviews...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM »
Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut

Warner Home Video will release Alexander Revisited: The Unrated Final Cut on February 27th, 2007. Director Oliver Stone's epic arrives in its third incarnation featuring more than forty-five minutes of never-before-seen footage restored into the tale of the Macedonian conqueror. The film, now clocking in at nearly four hours, will arrive with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track. No extras seem to be included in this edition. Retail is $24.98

--davisdvd