Author Topic: Duma R3  (Read 3077 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Duma R3
« on: Aug 22, 2005 at 09:38 AM »
From the front page:

Duma R3 ahead of R1 by one month

Duma, a touching drama from Carroll Ballard, director of Fly Away Home, has been released on DVD in the Philippines a full month before the US.

Described by Roger Ebert as an "astonishing film", Duma tells the story of a young boy's journey to return his pet cheetah to the wild. Duma is both a thrilling adventure and a moving tale about the power of love, set against the extraordinary landscape of Southern Africa. Based on the the book, How It Was with Dooms by Carol Cawthra Hopcraft and Xan Hopcraft, Duma stars newcomer Alex Michaletos in a highly-acclaimed debut.

Duma is now available at leading DVD retail outlets at a suggested retail price of Php425.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2005 at 12:54 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Duma R3
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 07:00 PM »
is this a 2-disc release? TIA 8)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 08:30 PM »
Duma is a single-disc DVD-9 release worldwide. The R3 version contains extended scenes and the theatrical trailer.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 07:06 AM »
Duma is a single-disc DVD-9 release worldwide. The R3 version contains extended scenes and the theatrical trailer.

thanks for the info, sir firewired.....might get it this weekend during the mallwide SALE at SM City Cebu...... 8)

Offline maverickph

• Collector
  • DVD Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 09:17 AM »
Is it an animated movie?
Happy to meet You.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 10:01 AM »
Nope live action. Here are some reviews:
Roger Ebert
Variety.com (Variety Magazine)
Salon.com

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 11:07 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Sorry ha, but was this ever shown here?  First time ko lang marinig yung title.  Maybe I wasn't able to catch this one.

Thanks.  ;)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 11:17 AM »
Never shown anywhere except Chicago. Duma is one of those films that critics loved but the studio (in this case Warner Bros.) decided not to release at the last minute after getting cold feet. What's ironic is that their sister company Warner Independent Pictures released the equally well-reviewed but also risky March of the Penguins which is currently doing well in cinemas. If WB had passed Duma to WIP, it would probably have enjoyed a theatrical run.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 10:25 AM »
Never shown anywhere except Chicago. Duma is one of those films that critics loved but the studio (in this case Warner Bros.) decided not to release at the last minute after getting cold feet. What's ironic is that their sister company Warner Independent Pictures released the equally well-reviewed but also risky March of the Penguins which is currently doing well in cinemas. If WB had passed Duma to WIP, it would probably have enjoyed a theatrical run.

Thanks for that info firewired.  Maybe I can rent out a copy first to see it first.  ;)

Offline diver

• DVD Guru
  • squeeze meee !!! quack quack
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 06:13 PM »
I was at Astrovision earlier and the cover of the R3 version is different from the one posted at the front page.  Found the cover of the R3 less pleasing to the eyes than the one at the front page .... Was willing to give this a try na sana but I really like the white background cover version of this dvd.  That's just me of course  ;D
"Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it."

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 06:22 PM »
Oops... sorry about that. You're right, the cover Warner approved for R3 is different. The earlier white one is based on the theatrical release and the R2 version. I'll update the front page.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2005 at 06:51 PM by firewired »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
when i saw this over the weekend, i thought that it was an old movie. by the look of the cover. and the pictures at the back.

upon closer inspection the film was just released this year.

looks promising.  :)

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2005 at 11:07 PM by riverfan »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1246
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 11:41 AM »
I was at Astrovision earlier and the cover of the R3 version is different from the one posted at the front page.  Found the cover of the R3 less pleasing to the eyes than the one at the front page .... Was willing to give this a try na sana but I really like the white background cover version of this dvd.  That's just me of course  ;D

the 1st front page image with the dangling boy's feet & cheetah's tail against white clouds was used for the disc art instead of the cover.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2005 at 11:42 AM by jas »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 08:39 PM »
Saw this last weekend with the kids. I'm not much for animal films but this one actually appealed to me. And it helps that the cinematography is beautiful.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 12:24 AM »
my mom is insisting me to buy this title. will give in for her this coming weekend.  ;D anymore, positive remarks?

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 12:51 AM »
It's a pleasant family movie that reminds me of the old type of Disney family movies, and is a welcome change from today's action-packed 3D kids fare like Spy Kids or Shark Boy and Lava Girl. It's set in South Africa, so expect that heavy Afrikaaner accent (we used subtitles for some dialogue), bleak desert scenes, and lots of animals.

The first 20 minutes are a bit slow, about how the boy finds a cheetah cub and takes it home, but the pace picks up when the family moves to the city, and it gets pretty exciting from there. The kids loved it (well mostly because my kids love animals and they like watching National Geographic and Discovery channel, so this is like Animal Kingdom with a story).

It's generally a feel-good "journey-to-the-wild" type of film, peppered with quiet poignant moments and some suspenseful action as well, but it may not be to everyone's liking. But if you or your mom like animals, or have kids that do, definitely go and pick this one up. And if you're not an animal lover, give it a try as well -- you might find yourself pleasantly surprised. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005 at 01:11 AM by DVDiva »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 04:09 PM »
 :D my mom sure loves animals. thanks.  :)