Author Topic: JojoD's Tube and Solid State Projects  (Read 1129137 times)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: JojoD's Tube and Solid State Projects
« Reply #10140 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 02:02 PM »
Nice!

Parinig pagkatapos.....

O di kaya dalhin mo dito sa bahay then let's try using it with a clean USB power

It's going to be a stand-alone tube stage so it can be taken out anytime.

Actually, the DAC I ordered will only serve as a converter for the USB to S/PDIF, then that will go through a S/PDIF to AES/EBU stage before it goes to the RTA (should arrive with the DAC). With the RTA, I have full control of the signal in the "digital domain" before I convert that to analog via it's AKM DAC chip or, maybe if the need arises, another DAC.

You mentioned clean USB, one very important thing that I will implement is galvanic isolation of the USB to S/PDIF so whatever psu noise there is should be eliminated completely. Another line of defense is the AES/EBU's ability for fully balanced architecture of the interconnects which I may take advantage of also.

So all in all, there will be 3 separate DACs that will be used in this endeavor. So many things to play with. ;D

Kagulo pala ng digital pag itotodo mo, sa analog TT + phono preamp lang at plaka tapos na! >:D
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014 at 02:02 PM by JojoD818 »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #10141 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 02:18 PM »
The noise/jitter isolation or elimination has complicated the conversion.  Just 2 basic things (but complicated), transmission of pure digital signal and clean power.  Easier said than done.

But in fairness, building an execellent TT, tone arm and cartridge is not as easy as building a DAC.  Then comes the preamp which again another feat to properly amplify the signal picked up by the cartridge.  Also easier said than done diba?

It's going to be a stand-alone tube stage so it can be taken out anytime.

Actually, the DAC I ordered will only serve as a converter for the USB to S/PDIF, then that will go through a S/PDIF to AES/EBU stage before it goes to the RTA (should arrive with the DAC). With the RTA, I have full control of the signal in the "digital domain" before I convert that to analog via it's AKM DAC chip or, maybe if the need arises, another DAC.

You mentioned clean USB, one very important thing that I will implement is galvanic isolation of the USB to S/PDIF so whatever psu noise there is should be eliminated completely. Another line of defense is the AES/EBU's ability for fully balanced architecture of the interconnects which I may take advantage of also.

So all in all, there will be 3 separate DACs that will be used in this endeavor. So many things to play with. ;D

Kagulo pala ng digital pag itotodo mo, sa analog TT + phono preamp lang at plaka tapos na! >:D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10142 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 02:25 PM »
The noise/jitter isolation or elimination has complicated the conversion.  Just 2 basic things (but complicated), transmission of pure digital signal and clean power.  Easier said than done.

Isolation of the DACs and RTA psu I can do my best on that, but there's nothing I can do from the source pc or laptop as far as supply noise is concerned other than active balanced and galvanic isolation. Truly easier said than done, in fact, it will be a spin of luck if I can finish building this setup before the year ends.

But in fairness, building an execellent TT, tone arm and cartridge is not as easy as building a DAC.  Then comes the preamp which again another feat to properly amplify the signal picked up by the cartridge.  Also easier said than done diba?

At least diyan dumaan na tayo, pabalik-balik pa nga eh. :D Having a road map is a big help, unlike sa digital, baby steps muna.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10143 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 05:26 PM »
Yup that's the way to do it without going into firmware to control functionality.

Isolation of the DACs and RTA psu I can do my best on that, but there's nothing I can do from the source pc or laptop as far as supply noise is concerned other than active balanced and galvanic isolation. Truly easier said than done, in fact, it will be a spin of luck if I can finish building this setup before the year ends.

Well, going into this digital trip makes the hobby more interesting.  Good that you are investing time for this.  Technology in the music streaming business is ramping up and soon you will have hires streaming in the air.  When this becomes a norm, good performing dacs will make sense to enjoy the music .... anywhere you are.

At least diyan dumaan na tayo, pabalik-balik pa nga eh. :D Having a road map is a big help, unlike sa digital, baby steps muna.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10144 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 05:52 PM »
Yup that's the way to do it without going into firmware to control functionality.

Any changes the RTA will do it will do digitally, no analog filters whatsoever. Let's hope it works for me, after all it's gonna be my mainstay signal source.

Well, going into this digital trip makes the hobby more interesting.  Good that you are investing time for this.  Technology in the music streaming business is ramping up and soon you will have hires streaming in the air.  When this becomes a norm, good performing dacs will make sense to enjoy the music .... anywhere you are.

Talk about DSD and all those things that comes with it! It's gonna be a joyride. ;)

Btw, here's a mutilated Behringer RTA, something I would do but with a little bit of finesse. ;D (Pics borrowed from lampizator website.)

8)

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10145 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 07:21 PM »
I do know someone reputable in the local audio scene who removed the tt in his showroom. He said that he cannot achieve the imaging digital provides.... 

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10146 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 09:46 PM »
I do know someone reputable in the local audio scene who removed the tt in his showroom. He said that he cannot achieve the imaging digital provides.... 

I'm enjoying a simplest digital setup now but yet, it still leaves a lot to be desired. Although I have a feeling that it's going to be a pleasant adventure...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10147 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 09:49 PM »
Doing the sundance...

Araw pa please... ;D ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10148 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 04:57 PM »
back from the dead...

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10149 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 06:57 PM »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10150 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 06:59 PM »
who's the man?

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10151 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 07:04 PM »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10152 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 07:08 PM »
hahaha! oks na yan brader balik na sa ayos... ;)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10153 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 07:15 PM »
Iba ka talaga brad!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10154 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 07:53 PM »
tsamba lang yan brad...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10155 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 08:41 PM »
natuyo din... burn-in time...

8)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10156 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 08:55 PM »
dumating na siya! sa Japan... ;D ;D ;D

next stop, Philippines! 8)

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10157 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 09:43 PM »
Wooooohoooooo!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10158 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM »
Wooooohoooooo!

Pampers muna... ;D

PS: Sent you msg re Klotz, need some info as I need to make xlr to rca interconnects. Thanks!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10159 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM »
time to do some interconnects tomorrow...

ok na kaya ito USB to DAC?

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10160 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM »
ok na kaya ito USB to DAC?

Nope...  :o  ::)  ;D

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10161 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM »
Sir jo,  anong cable gamitin mo para sa IC mo? ☺
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10162 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10163 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM »
Sir jo,  anong cable gamitin mo para sa IC mo? ☺

Yun binigay sa akin Klotz wire sana sir, sa wakas magagamit ko na siya. :)

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Re: JojoD's Tube and Solid State Projects
« Reply #10164 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM »
Yun binigay sa akin Klotz wire sana sir, sa wakas magagamit ko na siya. :)
Kala ko DIY din yung cable mo.
May ginawa rin ako pero d ko pa nasubok sa more sensitive setup.
I tried a telco grade coax cable,  so far same yung performance dun sa binili kung IC sa classic hifi sa cebu.
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10165 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM »
Recommendations?
Anong stock cable nung new toy mo? Often magaganda na included dyan pero sa tutoo lang nung nag test ako ng mga usb cables, ang napansin ko everything depends on everything...  :o
Ibig ko sabihin is the usb cable will suit a certain speaker wire, power cable, amp, source better than another... Doesn't have to be expensive but often may tendency talaga. I use the stock usb ng w4s simply bec it suited my system better than most.... But one did match it better than the stock usb pero the price was 15k... The difference in price was so much than the difference in sound and it wasn't worth it for me...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10166 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM »
Kala ko DIY din yung cable mo.
May ginawa rin ako pero d ko pa nasubok sa more sensitive setup.

No time to braid eh, plus I need the shield. Baka kasi later on mag balanced connection ako.

Di pwede yun ganito ko...

I tried a telco grade coax cable,  so far same yung performance dun sa binili kung IC sa classic hifi sa cebu.

If that's the case you should consider yourself blessed sir at hindi ka na maghahanap pa ng IC. Though I'd like to consider it more of a personal preference.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10167 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM »
Anong stock cable nung new toy mo? Often magaganda na included dyan pero sa tutoo lang nung nag test ako ng mga usb cables, ang napansin ko everything depends on everything...  :o
Ibig ko sabihin is the usb cable will suit a certain speaker wire, power cable, amp, source better than another... Doesn't have to be expensive but often may tendency talaga. I use the stock usb ng w4s simply bec it suited my system better than most.... But one did match it better than the stock usb pero the price was 15k... The difference in price was so much than the difference in sound and it wasn't worth it for me...

Di ko pa nakikita eh, pero I agree that it "depends". Same experience with USB cables but not in audio eh, once was with my Arduino, ayaw mag load ng bootloader, pinapalitan ko na yun development board and to my surprise ganun pa din pag balik! In short, it was the USB cable! ;D

Another one was with an Epson printer, the printer doesn't print, I took out the cable and tried it on another device and it worked. So sabi ko hindi yun cable ang sira. Days passed hindi ako makapag print - until naisip ko yun nangyari sa Arduino ko. Ayun pag palit ko ng cable - nag print na siya. Damn. ;D

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10168 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM »

Di ko pa nakikita eh, pero I agree that it "depends". Same experience with USB cables but not in audio eh, once was with my Arduino, ayaw mag load ng bootloader, pinapalitan ko na yun development board and to my surprise ganun pa din pag balik! In short, it was the USB cable! ;D

Another one was with an Epson printer, the printer doesn't print, I took out the cable and tried it on another device and it worked. So sabi ko hindi yun cable ang sira. Days passed hindi ako makapag print - until naisip ko yun nangyari sa Arduino ko. Ayun pag palit ko ng cable - nag print na siya. Damn. ;D
Hehehe, reminds me of Ding and his new computer... Hehehehe. Sirang power cord, something you should always consider to check first but always gets assumed to work.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10169 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM »
Hehehe, reminds me of Ding and his new computer... Hehehehe. Sirang power cord, something you should always consider to check first but always gets assumed to work.

Been there also brader ;D, especially with CPU's that are backed against the wall. Akala namin psu na, cable lang pala.

Anyway, I just want it to be "bit perfect" lang naman, so either I use the stock cable like you suggest or use the Belkin.