Author Topic: Turntable Part 2  (Read 232206 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Turntable Part 2
« Reply #330 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:13 AM »
Ang ganda ng takbo ng usapan, hindi na 'ko makatiis makikisali na po. Anyway I have used record decks since early ‘80s, had owned over a dozen in 25 years, even tweaked some of them. I could have misunderstood the issue here and if that’s the case, disregard this post. I’m not familiar with GR1 but decks I have opened in the past (although I'm not a technician) have links/junctions that separate the tonearm wires (tiny silver wires with very thin covers) from RCA deck-to-amp wires (with same tiny wires but with thicker rubber covers).

If the issue is small-diameter RCA wire cover but you have zero humming even at full volume without signal, I don’t see a problem there. The designer knows his job and is not likely to sacrifice sound from cost-cutting on a meter-long RCA line. Decks that are quiet (zero humming/rumble) and stable rotation (zero wow-and-flutter) are almost perfect and upgrade on sound should only be done through cartridge or stylus replacement. Thus, I fully support an earlier post that the pickup be upgraded instead. 

But I understand the tweaking itch, siyempre mas pogi kung materiales fuertes. In that case, open your deck, find the link/binding post of the tonearm and RCA lines, get a soldering iron and replace the RCA wires. This is a bit risky and could cause loud hums so make sure the solder is solid, otherwise it would cause more harm than good. I’ve done this before, trial and error, especially on RCA lines that fell victim to devilish Stuart Littles. Even when soldering work looks solid enough, the humming got louder. Replacing tonearm wire is also risky and depends on how simple, or complicated, the wiring in your turntable is. 

If your wiring goes straight, no link, from the tonearm to the amp with transition only on wire rubber covers, you’ll regret messing with it. But then, if the itch continues, find a competent technician who can do a transition/junction box as mentioned on the post above, preferably an old man who knows what he'd be working on.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:17 AM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:34 AM »
i agree  8)

Offline synchro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • when in doubt...go hybrid!
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:43 AM »
  If your wiring goes straight, no link, from the tonearm to the amp with transition only on wire rubber covers, you’ll regret messing with it. But then, if the itch continues, find a competent technician who can do a transition/junction box as mentioned on the post above, preferably an old man who knows what he'd be working on.

ganyan din problema ng Technics T/Table ko before. the stock cables that are hardwired look like the el cheapo ones that come free when you buy a dvd or vhs player. In my case the el cheapo wires have deteriorated even further (may kagat pa ng rodents due to long storage  >:(). I had it replaced by Hyperaudio using XLO Pro and Monster interconnects soldered directly to the small pcb board inside (no junction box). zero hum and improved sound.  am quite happy with the performance of the upgrade and I only spent a a small amount of money  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:47 AM by synchro »

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 10:08 AM »
here's a pic for your reference.

A- Cartridge Clips

B- Headshell

C- Rubber Cap

D- Tonearm Wires: Red, Green, White & Blue

E- Arm Tube

F- Horizontal Bearing

G- Ground Wire: Black

H- Itty Bitty Rubber Tube

I- Solder Connection Terminal

J- Base or Post

K- Set Screw

L- Grey Base Cap

M- Lead Wire

kim,

yakang yaka mo gawin itong instruction sa site na ito: http://www.hi-fi.com/diy/rega/steps.html.

pangunahan mo......tapos paturo ako sayo pag expert kana.  ;D

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 10:55 AM »
In my case the el cheapo wires have deteriorated even further (may kagat pa ng rodents due to long storage  >:(). I had it replaced by Hyperaudio using XLO Pro and Monster interconnects soldered directly to the small pcb board inside (no junction box). zero hum and improved sound.  am quite happy with the performance of the upgrade and I only spent a a small amount of money  :)

that PCB (common among electronics-heavy turntables) is what we refer to and serves the purpose of link/junction box. i agree that good replacement work on parts of old units would have its reward, but generally, not recommended for new units unless performance falters.

i also would like to touch on the general impression i read on earlier posts here that direct drive TTs are the best. no, not always, unless that technology was perfectly applied as in the case of upscale direct drive models. in the '80s, belt drives from an older technology produced by master craftsmen in US, Europe and even Japan, were quieter, performed better, and therefore more expensive (hindi ko kayang bilhin).

even the much earlier rim-drive technology in '60s models of German brands Dual and Thorens (including the classic Thorens 124, which was installed for a long time in US radio booths at Clark Air Base before their replacement in early '80s) do better compared with entry- to middle-level direct drives made by the Japs.

direct drive is more popular since it is more reliable compared with belt-drive "if done perfectly", easier to assemble since the motor is almost integrated with the platter. however, excellence is driven by competition and with fewer TTs manufactured in the last 15 years, i don't think the quality of direct drives now has improved significantly since the '80s. TAS readers even complained workmanship on the few produced has deteriorated in recent years.  
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:00 AM by sandawa »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 10:59 AM »
sandawa,
thanks for the info this would help alot.  :D

Audioboy,
malaking tulong yan post mo. will inform you if operation is successful  ;D ;D

guys,
its really not much of a problem for me to upgrade.  my dilemma is what cables would you recommend.  :D thanks guys!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:04 AM »
how much ar eyou willing to spend? phono cables make more impact than interconnects IME. YMMV and all disclaimers  ;D

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:09 AM »

guys,
its really not much of a problem for me to upgrade.  my dilemma is what cables would you recommend.  :D thanks guys!  ;D ;D ;D

sounds like money was never a problem for kim idol  :o  ;D ;D

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:44 AM »
cost no object ba? the best i've tried in my system is clearaudio sixstream. kayang kaya ni kimpao $800 lang kasi.  >:D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
$800 :o daming turntable na yun! ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
Btw, would M92E cartridge/stylus will fit with Audio Technica headshell? Tonearm is tube type.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 12:01 PM by s2kov »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 12:09 PM »
if you're going to spend that much to upgrade your TT, wouldn't it make sense just to buy a better TT?  ???
money is best spent

Offline synchro

• Collector
  • when in doubt...go hybrid!
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 12:17 PM »
Btw, would M92E cartridge/stylus will fit with Audio Technica headshell? Tonearm is tube type.

yes. am using one as a spare (universal AT headshell and Shure M92) for my Technics

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 12:17 PM »
if you're going to spend that much to upgrade your TT, wouldn't it make sense just to buy a better TT?  ???

o nga naman, Rega clone lang yung GR1 - why not buy the Rega instead ....  gawin mo ng Rega P9 para wala ng upgrade  ::)

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 12:46 PM »
thanks! :)

yes. am using one as a spare (universal AT headshell and Shure M92) for my Technics

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
Phono cables ang iu-upgrade na punta na sa bagong TT. ano ba yan.  ;D  For $800, hmmmmm........ ipa install na lang ako ng NOS - Dry Fire sa 4G63T tapos pa sikkens ko pa auto ko.  ;D ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 01:35 PM »

yun nga eh. :) i don't even see the point of spending so much for upgrades, wherein the cost of such is half or even more than half the cost of the unit.  :)

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 01:55 PM »

o nga naman, Rega clone lang yung GR1 - why not buy the Rega instead ....  gawin mo ng Rega P9 para wala ng upgrade  ::)

if ever i have the moolah, i would go for the VPI TNT Mk. 6  with a JMW-12.5 tonearm rather than a P9.  ;)

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #348 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 02:01 PM »
guys,

kim, i have a spare blue colored vintage audio technica rca interconnect with a thin wire in between that can be used as ground wire...am just not sure kung may spade lugs pa both ends ung thin wire...i have used a similar wire to replace the cable that came with my luxman TT which i recently sold...just drop by if you want to try it ;)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
if ever i have the moolah, i would go for the VPI TNT Mk. 6  with a JMW-12.5 tonearm rather than a P9.  ;)
mukhang next year na ito  ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 03:37 PM »

mukhang next year na ito  ;D

in my dreams lang yan sir.  ;D ;D

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 05:50 AM »

iceman90 is correct. It makes more sense to buy a better table if you are planning to upgrade parts of the GR-1 (like using a CA six stream leadwire upgrade) other than the cart.

The Goldring GR-1 is not a Rega clone. It is a Rega P2 marketed under license by Rega for Goldring.  As such, the built-in phono IC is Rega spec.  I have set-up the GR-1 of a friend. I felt no compulsion to change the phono IC(unless if attacked by a rodent >:(). What my friend had me do is set-up the ttable correctly: adjust tracking force of the Elektra cart to 1.5gm, adjust anti-skate, make sure ttable is level using a bubble level. Like all Rega ttables, you can only adjust VTA with the proper shims. He wasn't too happy with the as-in the-box set-up. Anyway, after setting it up we tried a few LPs. Image focused solidly with more weight and body. It was so good, we tried a Coltrane 200gm re-issue by Classic Records ;D. My friend felt like this:  O0;D  I told him not to mess around anymore with the adjustments. He has had no complaints and is happily spinning vinyl on his GR-1.

My suggestion is to work within the limits of your ttable. I believe the first thing any ttable owner should do is to adjust the plinth so that it is level on a heavy/solid table. Next, adjust the cart properly to his liking(VTA, Tracking Force, anti-skate, azimuth, etc.) You will then reap the maximum benefits of your ttable.

The biggest upgrade/most cost effective change is to change the cart. But there is a caveat: I do not recommend that it exceed the cost of your ttable. This is so for reasons of tone arm quality, rigidity, damping, motor isolation, etc. Using a cart w/c way exceeds the cost of your ttable, will reveal your 'tables limitations and point you to upgrading to a higher level of ttable. Bear in mind, that as you upgrade the turntable, the cart, speedbox, phonostage, phono cable, quality of vinyl, etc also has to be commensurate. This is the reason why ttable companies like Rega, Project, Basis, VPI, etc have different price points for their turntables. It all depends on what your budget is and the involvement you want to put into analog.

Happy Spinning to one and all, may you have a Happy and Safe New Year! We do need our fingers for cueing the stylus. ;)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 08:21 AM »
i agree with stereophile 100%, especially on simple tweaks that we often overlook but make significant sonic improvement.

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 03:33 PM »
Btw, the Audio Technica headshell fits all standard mount Technics ttables and most other japanese ttables. Yes, the M92, the M44-7 and other Shure carts can easily be mounted on the Audio Technica headshell. Don't forget to check the overhang when mounting the cart. I use the Audio Technica headshell as a spare for my SL1200 MkIII. Money for value, it's a great replacement headshell to spruce up your ttable.

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 04:48 PM »

i believe kim wont dare spend 800 dollars for an upgrade on his GR1.

his prior post reveals that he wont even bother spend 5k for a phono cable.  maraming plaka na raw yun!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 08:25 PM »
thanks audioboy! :D mukhang pareho takbo ng isip natin.  ;D ;D yup! i'd rather spend the 5k or even the $800 on lp's. it's much wiser to invest on software than front-end upgrades.  ;) ;) 

i also do agree with you stereophile, proper set-up, isolation and placement will play a major role as to how the table will perform. :)

Guys,

IMHO, what's the use of having a thousand dollar turntable if you only have 20 to 30 lps to listen to.  ;)

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2004 at 08:32 PM by kimpao »

Offline Control

• DVD Addict
  • Let your ears guide you!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 08:29 PM »
Guys,

IMHO, what's the using of having a thousand dollar turntable if you only have 20 to 30 lps to listen to.  ;)

Onga..kaya ibenta nyo na yang mga lp collection nyo kay Master Kim...dahil pangit ang plaka  ;D

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 11:28 PM »
IMHO, what's the use of having a thousand dollar turntable if you only have 20 to 30 lps to listen to.  ;)

You'd be surprised. I know of some people who bought USD$2K+++ ttables who had 20-30 or less LPs in their collection when they began.

But I'd like to point out, these are audiophiles who were into analog long before, who used to own LPs, who sold/lost/destroyed...their LPs at the time of the CD forever revolution, and have since 'regretted'  that decision.  :'( They are currently trying to 'reconstruct' their past collection and adding new ones, including the re-issues (better than no copy at all). They are seriously into analog. Rather than go through the upgrade path, they made the conscious decision to go for an analog rig that they can settle into for many years to come and thus concentrate on the software/LP collecting(vinyl piranhas? >:D). Their rigs are in the mid to upper tiers of ttable brands.

Some, own more than 2-3 hi-end ttables. I even know of someone who has 8 ttables and is still looking for more.

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 10:59 PM »
You'd be surprised. I know of some people who bought USD$2K+++ ttables who had 20-30 or less LPs in their collection when they began.

Not surprised since i personally know a couple of people (flithy rich  >:D ;D ) who bought rigs that cost them even more than USD 9K. yet, they only own around 40 to 50 lps.  :)

Da#n!.......  If I'm filthy rich, i'd definitely buy myself a high-end TT.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 10:54 AM »
Not surprised since i personally know a couple of people (flithy rich >:D ;D ) who bought rigs that cost them even more than USD 9K. yet, they only own around 40 to 50 lps. :)

Da#n!....... If I'm filthy rich, i'd definitely buy myself a high-end TT. ;D ;D ;D

ang problema natin filthy lang tayo - wala yung rich >:D ;D ;D
money is best spent