Author Topic: Turntable Part 2  (Read 229605 times)

Offline Lord Foo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Turntable Part 2
« Reply #390 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
I never planned to get a TT right now...may be later, i thought, when I've studied the subject matter.

But i found a technics sl1300 in a thrift shop this morning. I passed up a dual 502-2 and a pioneer pl 5something... i hope i did right.

I really don't know anything about TTs. I was hoping i'd get it by luck the first time. At home, i hooked up the TT to my sansui aud707xdecade.

There was an old Jim Croce record somewhere in the house...powered up the TT... pressed tha start lever...The arm just skidded rightwards..no sound just hum from the amp, then the arm went back to home base.

Now i don't know what to do next.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2005 at 06:18 PM by Lordfoo »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #391 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 01:24 PM »
lordfoo,

bro, i use a technics 1310. its an identical model except that the color is gray. i can only guess that the settings on your table are improper. i live in q.c. (batasan area). maybe you can bring over your unit to my place and we can hook my cartridge to your unit using my unit's settings as reference and see if it plays properly. hope this helps.

you can pm me or text at 09189007773.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 06:23 PM »
Sir narayan,

thank you for the help offer. I also got posts from Audio Karma extolling the virtues of the the Dual 505.2 vs the SL1300. So... I went back to the thrift shop and exchanged the SL1300 with the Dual 505.2.  Happily for me, the Dual 505 started grooving. Now i gotta look for discs.

Foo

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #393 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
congrats on your new table bro ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #394 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 07:04 PM »
Sir narayan,

thank you for the help offer. I also got posts from Audio Karma extolling the virtues of the the Dual 505.2 vs the SL1300. So... I went back to the thrift shop and exchanged the SL1300 with the Dual 505.2. Happily for me, the Dual 505 started grooving. Now i gotta look for discs.

Foo

back in the '80s, Dual is a favorite TT brand among audio enthusiasts here. not anymore these days, since new Pinoy hifi converts prefer new production turntables, including vintage Japanese models. got no problem with that, but curiously, Dual, Garrard, BSR and other vintage brands and equipment are still highly regarded by audio enthusiasts worldwide, especially in the US.

me? i'm probably a bit biased in favor of our Jap neighbors. got 3 Technics and 2 vintage Duals - best of both worlds. 
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 09:38 AM »
5 Turntables? collector ka talaga Sir Sandawa....
OT... my brod replaced the capacitors of the KEF 104ab. he says its like a lower end version of the AR90. its impressive at low volumes and small rooms.. i still have to check it out.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 10:03 AM »
not 5, i got 10 total but would be reduced by two this month - my Thorens 320 and Technics SL-1200 are already committed to my brother in Manila - so, 8 na lang.

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 12:50 PM »
Hi sandawa,

Are you familiar with this Pioneer MC stylus?

Maybe you can help me identify on what compatible cart can be used and where to get it.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 01:28 PM »
ten turntables? whoa!! instead of discarding the two units, you should get two more to make it an even dozen.  :D

Hey Mr. Sandawa, I saw a Pioneer pl630 being sold as is for 3500 php. Walang cartridge. di naman mukhang dilapidated. Seems like a high price for an As is unit. I tried to lift it...it didnt budge an inch... Man! It felt as if it weighed like a 100 watt vintage amplifier.

Is this a good model?  ???

addendum:

I found the model at the vintage knob
http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/PL630/PL630.html
it weighed 12 kgs.

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2005 at 01:38 PM by Lordfoo »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 03:15 PM »
Hi sandawa,

Are you familiar with this Pioneer MC stylus?

Maybe you can help me identify on what compatible cart can be used and where to get it.

andy,

not familiar with that Pioneer stylus but check at Raon, bring it there. i wonder if it's really an MC, kasi, moving coil cartridges usually have fixed stylus assembly, hindi puwedeng tanggalin, pag nasira tapon na ang buong cartridge. but that could be an exception.

foo,

neither am i familiar with that Pioneer turntable, but if its very heavy and it's working fine - buy it if it's not priced like gold. better if you could test it, bring your own headshell and cartridge - standard naman 'yan.

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
Hi nani,

Thanks. It is indeed an MC stylus and it was confirmed to me by turntableneedle when i was inquiring for compatible cartridge. Instead, they offer me to swap it with their complete MM cartridge and record cleaning accessories.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 06:01 PM »
oo nga, nakita ko rin. mukhang rare/collectors' item yang nakuha mo.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 06:25 PM »
Mga sirs,

Please advise naman what "shell", "needle", are available locally that I can use for my Pioneer Turntable pl630. I acquired it yesterday with just the arm and without the dust cover also. I'd go for 2nd hand, or surplus as long as maganda tunog and matched sa turntable ko po.  Post advices na rin po re: my PL630.  I am barely a few weeks into the Turntable hobby.

regards,
Foo

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 08:26 AM »
sir, of you can wait till January, i can give you a Pioneer original headshell in exchange for a can of cold Coke Diet. if you immediately need one badly, check out Raon, especially the old Pioneer shop (nasa loob 'yan - you can ask oldtimers from the other shops for direction) between Evangelista and Avenida. don't say you're installing your headshell on a PL630, otherwise mamahalan ka ng mga 'yan. 
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2005 at 08:36 AM by sandawa »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #404 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:13 AM »
hi sir sandawa and foo!...i'll be in davao sept. 15 to 25, if this is just a small item, i may be able to bring them back to manila, and foo may just pick it up from me at my office...thanks! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline ramble_on

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:31 AM »
sir foo, check the area beside and in front of the deeco building (raon side). i saw a a couple of stores that were selling carts and stylii. yung stylii were packed in transparent cases; some had stickers indicating the models that they were supposed to serve as replacements for while some had none.

try not asking the sales personnel that you're looking for turntable stuff; in my experience, chances are you'll just get blank stares. go straight to the display counters instead.

during my last foray there, i was able to buy a NOS nagaoka cart. there were still a couple left.

hope this helps.

Offline ramble_on

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
hi sir sandawa and foo!...i'll be in davao sept. 15 to 25, if this is just a small item, i may be able to bring them back to manila, and foo may just pick it up from me at my office...thanks! :D

sir supes, pwede magpa bili ng cd player?  :D

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
turntables
« Reply #407 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:41 PM »
what brand would you recommend, that has a very good quality, sound and specially affordable price?

i know theres alot to choose from like technics, denon, panasonic etc.

pls share your views :)
:D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: turntables
« Reply #408 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:47 PM »
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:48 PM by Superman »
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #409 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
if you are into pre-owned T/T's then try to look out for Technics TTables.  Parts availability, easy to service and not to mention that it is built to last. you can tailor its sound by changing the cartridge to better ones that are readily available in the market.  My Technics T/Table is already 22 years old (had it since new) and it still provides great sound and performance up to now.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline ramble_on

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:52 PM »
i had the good fortune of acquiring a technics turntable (circa 79) a couple of months ago through the kindness of sir sandawa. solidly built and in very good condition.

bang for the buck (more so for the higher-end models).

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #411 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 01:52 PM »
If you're not limited on the above brands, you may want to try the Pro-ject Debut III or the Goldring GR1:  Both are just entry-level turn tables but highly rated and comparable to their higher-priced counterparts

Cheers.

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #412 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 02:05 PM »
sir foo, check the area beside and in front of the deeco building (raon side). i saw a a couple of stores that were selling carts and stylii. yung stylii were packed in transparent cases; some had stickers indicating the models that they were supposed to serve as replacements for while some had none.

try not asking the sales personnel that you're looking for turntable stuff; in my experience, chances are you'll just get blank stares. go straight to the display counters instead.

during my last foray there, i was able to buy a NOS nagaoka cart. there were still a couple left.

hope this helps.

One of them is SOLID Electronics.  The carts and stylii are at the left display cabinet near the door.

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:59 PM »
tnx guys for all the replys,  well i heard a lot good news about technics

ill try to research more specially with this brand

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 10:25 PM »
Hi Sir Sandawa and sir superman...maraming salamat sa offer of help. Who am i to check a gift horse in the mouth? Sirs kung di makakaabala masyado...the original pioneer needle will be very much appreciated...

In the meantime i will try to find time to check out the raon sites mentioned. I am very hopeful that the PL630 will be okay when I've acquired the shell/needle  for the unit. The store helper and another buyer said that they used to crank up the unit play 33 lps until somebody, stole the shell.

Also the past week, i have been using a Dual 505.2 and have already acquired about a dozen LPs. Di pa ako marunong mamili ng LPs but I noticed that those made in the US seem to sound better than the locally pressed one. Is this a general situation? Any pointers in looking for good LPs?

I found a pristine Manhattan Transfer album (the one with A nightingale sang in berkeley square), a few Rayconnif Singer albums, Queen, etc.

I just washed the album with soap and faucet water  before playing avoiding soaking the paper label. Is this alright?

BTW i inspected the arms of the Dual and the Pioneer PL630 hoping that I can transfer the Duals shell to the the pioneer for testing purposes. No dice. They do not seem to have the same design.

also BTW, the dual sounded very good.

Hmmm... Offhand, can you guys mention brands of shells that I should lookout for? i really have no idea which brands to look out for?

Offline ramble_on

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 10:37 PM »
you can try the bang-for-the-buck audio-technica head shells at audiophile, cost me around php 380.

a trip to raon would be highly recommended...you'll never know what 'treasures' you might find there.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 06:09 AM »
Hi Sir Sandawa and sir superman...maraming salamat sa offer of help. Who am i to check a gift horse in the mouth? Sirs kung di makakaabala masyado...the original pioneer needle will be very much appreciated...

the only thing i can give you is a Pioneer headshell. using an Audio Technica, or Shure, cartridge would be an upgrade from using an original Pioneer cart/stylus for your PL630. ramble_on is correct, check sources in Raon, but Audiophile should be an option.

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 08:46 PM »
guys i have some few questions regarding TT, im still newbie in analog. im just using an old TT built-in our compo.  can anybody tell the difference in Belt Drive Turntable Systems, Belt Drive Linear Tracking Turntable Systems, Direct Drive Turntable Systems & Direct Drive Linear Tracking Turntable Systems?

and which of the four is commonly use and available here?

last is it possible example a technics TT with curved style tonearm be replace with straight tonearm like in gr1?

:)

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 06:32 PM »
the only thing i can give you is a Pioneer headshell. using an Audio Technica, or Shure, cartridge would be an upgrade from using an original Pioneer cart/stylus for your PL630. ramble_on is correct, check sources in Raon, but Audiophile should be an option.

I went to Deeco. I even lugged the heavy pioneer turntable with me. We checked a box of needles and shells. Wala. Nada.
Meron pioneer ang tatak na needle pero walang shell.

I wonder, do i just mention the model of the turntable when i look for shell and needle? What about replacement kaya? How do i know if the audio technica or shure cartridge will fit the arm of my turntable?

Offline ramble_on

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 10:33 PM »
sir foo, sorry to hear about your deeco sojourn.

anyways, probably the first thing to check is if your tonearm accepts universal headshells (baka proprietary pioneer headshells lang, which will further complicate the situation).

cheers.