Author Topic: Turntable Part 2  (Read 229650 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Turntable Part 2
« Reply #480 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 06:47 PM »
usually standard din ang pulley sizes at distances niyan. as long as the belt fits and the motor runs on 60 hertz (cycles per second), it would be okay if you check the 33 and 45 RPMs with a strobo. it would have been fine if it was direct drive linear trackers such as Technics SL-7 and up as well as Revox and Luxman types. mas heavier/stable ang takbo and quieter compared with linear tracker belt drives.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline markmlists

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 07:49 PM »
Salamat sir.
Yup platter (?) itself  is direct drive though it has 2 belts 1 for the eject and 1 for the linear arm. unfortunately walang stobe, though tumutugtog pa rin naman, di palang ganun kaganda. Thanks sa info! :)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 08:22 PM »
sorry, tama nga pala may belt yung nag pu-pull ng cartridge assembly. kailangan lang niyan cartridge na bagong hasa ang stylus.

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 01:00 AM »
Guys,

I purchased a Project Debut III when I was in the UK......we used it for a while when we were there and it was working fine I had it shipped to the Philippines just arrived yesterday when I tried it the speed of the plate was all wrong I tried switching the belt and using 45's and 33's but I was still getting chipmunk sounds from the turntable.....the voltage in the UK is 240 volts.....is the turntable busted or am I just doing something wrong? Or do I need to purchase something to make the thing usable here in the philippines?

Your help would be greatly appreciated Thanks ;D

Get in touch with Pican in WiredState/Pinoy Audio. He is with Audio Den and sells Project ttables. I believe they can get you the proper pulley for your ttable.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #484 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 09:26 AM »
I have been reading this thread but could not follow the terms ... phonostage, cart etc. Also don't quite understand what is it with turntables. Is the sound significally different, listening experience is not quite explainable??? What is it like?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #485 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 10:39 AM »
phonostage - an equalized gainstage required to boost the fairly low output of TT cartridges to a suitable line level signal.

cart - short for cartridge, it's where your needle is mechanically attached. several types such as moving magnet, moving coil, etc exists. cart is a sort of a pickup device, it converts minute changes in the needle into voltage.

this is just to start the ball rolling, a lot of the guys here can help you better understand the technical aspects of turntables. you are probably in for a surprise.  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 10:40 AM by JojoD818 »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
1. phono stage used to be known as "phono preamp."
2. cartridge in the '80s was actually called "pickup";
3. stylus was known as "needle;"
4. turntable, or record player, used to be called "phonograph"
5. vinyl is actually "phono record", with categories such as 33rpm long playing, 45 and 78;
6. hertz is actually "cps" or cycles per second;
7. stereo system was "component"  ;D he-he-he!

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:17 PM by sandawa »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
Thanks for the inputs Sir Sandawa and JojoD818. 
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:26 PM by rascal101 »

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 01:11 AM »
I have been reading this thread but could not follow the terms ... phonostage, cart etc. Also don't quite understand what is it with turntables. Is the sound significally different, listening experience is not quite explainable??? What is it like?

The best way to understand/learn about analog is to actually listen to a set-up. Check out your friends who have analog set-up. Be forewarned...you may end up liking this 'old' technology. ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
Had a chance to listen to XLR_silver set-up about two weeks agos but only for about 15mins or so. At this point of time medyo nakalimutan ko na how it sounds although I recall na parang totoo tumunog. Medyo turn-off nga lang ako ng konti dahil kailangan maingat talaga. Kailangan malinis iyung plaka then kailangan well calibrated iyung speed, maingat sa arm, malinis iyung karayum etc etc.

However, despite this gusto kong makinig uli ...  :)

Sir Stereophile,

BTW, do you know any device to make CD sound like a turntable? Just curious.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006 at 09:37 AM by rascal101 »

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 07:32 AM »
Sir Stereophile,

BTW, do you know any device to make CD sound like a turntable? Just curious.  :)

rascal-  The closest you will get to analog using the digital format is to use the DCS Elgar DAC + DCS Verdi transport. It converts ordinary 16-bit 44Khz cds to DSD meaning SACD. It comes at a price: USD 39T! This is the only equipment w/c can convert regular cds to DSD. No other product can, hence its cost.

I have heard SACDs in a reference SACD player like the MF Trivista SACD player w/c costs 400T.  This was in a reference MF sysytem using MF KW pre-amp, MF KW-1000wpc monoblocks,  250T worth of XLO interconnect/spkr wires, B&W 800 Signature spkrs. It's close but still not the same. Add to that the limited titles. An ordinary 'redbook' cd will not soud like an sacd unless you use the prohibitive DCS gear. The owner himself of this MF sysytem has an MF M-1 ttable. When we compared the 2 formats, he concluded that analog was better. At least he has both formats.

But you can get the analog sound cheaply, by using a ttable at your price point. I myself use a Rotel 971 cd player, passing thru a Monarchy Audio anti-jitter DIP, then thru an MF A324 192khz upsampling DAC. Very nice sound compared to ordinary cd player, but left in the dust by my Technics ttable with Shure M-447 cart. You will say why not use tube output cd players with DAC. But after I heard a reference SACD player(the MF Trivista) with associated gear at 4.5M ::), and it still does not come close to analog. So I did not bother upgrading my digital front-end. I'm at that point where I'm done with gear upgrading and just look for vinyl w/c I like. I hardly use my digital gears, except to warm up my amps prior to listening to analog, or when I'm just tamad and want to listen to music with a remote.

I agree, going into analog has its rituals: cleaning the LPs, storing them properly, setting up the cartridge on the ttable. But the advantage of analog, is that you can TWEAK your front-end. If you dont like the sound, you can adjust/re-align your cartdrige. If that doesn't work, you can change the cartridge and yet use the same ttable. You can also change the phonostage if you like, not to mention the cables. You can't do that to a cd player. Its basically open tray-plop cd- then close n play. Besides that, there are a lot of material which never made it to digital.

Bottomline: It's the analog sound! 8)
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 07:43 AM by stereophile »

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #491 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 11:41 PM »
hi guys have some question with technics tt.  i just acquired a sl3300 from a friend of miine & i want to know if its possible to replace the interconnects connecting to the tt? mi mga tma na kasi mga cables.  is it better to use the original technics headshell or with audio technica?
:D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #492 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 11:44 PM »
ping hyperaudio, he can help you with the interconnects, maybe use XLO...as for the headshell, pareho lang naman yung technics and audio technica, locally available at Audiophile Components...thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
ok sir tnx for the advice ill try to drop by audiophile components

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 10:37 PM »
Guys,

I purchased a Project Debut III when I was in the UK......we used it for a while when we were there and it was working fine I had it shipped to the Philippines just arrived yesterday when I tried it the speed of the plate was all wrong I tried switching the belt and using 45's and 33's but I was still getting chipmunk sounds from the turntable.....the voltage in the UK is 240 volts.....is the turntable busted or am I just doing something wrong? Or do I need to purchase something to make the thing usable here in the philippines?

Your help would be greatly appreciated Thanks ;D

hi dracula ...

i am having the exact same problem you had with your Debut III .... may I know what you did to have the Turntable working at 60 Hz ?
thanks in advance

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
hi guys have some question with technics tt... is it better to use the original technics headshell or with audio technica?

gob-If you inspect the contacts between the original Technics headshell and the tonearm, you will notice that they are both GOLD-PLATED. If you check the contacts in the AT headshell, they are some kind of polished silver-like contact. What that metal is, i don't know.

Here is my point in all this: if you remember your Physics/Chemistry classes, when 2 dissimilar metals are in contact, there will be an electrical difference, meaning you created a battery. This equates, long-term into corrosion.

If you can get your hands on another original Technics headshell, then that is best. If you can't, as most of us do, then we have to make do in the meantime using the AT headshell. I suggest then cleaning/inspecting the contacts ever so-often for corrosion. If you do not plan to use the ttable for some time, I'd remove the headshell and store it separately. Just my 10 cents...

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 11:53 AM »
mga sir, query lang.... i've already posted this same question on a separate thread.... i have a technics SL1200MKII and i think my headshell is damaged for some reason... where can i buy a headshell for my technics tt? i already inquired with audiophile but they dont have the audio technica headshells on stock anymore, i was also looking for a shure M447H, its an M447 cartridge pre-mounted on a technics headshell... any ideas where i can probably buy a headshell or better yet an M447H? its available on ebay but most of the sellers dont ship to ph, and some that do will charge around $80 via fedex.

thanks in advance!

ivo

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 12:56 PM »
SL-1200 TTs use standard bayonet-type headshells. Audio Technica and Technics are two different companies, AT is a cartridge and audio accessories firm, Technics is a brand under Matsus**ta (also National, Panasonic, Ramsa, etc.) the pre-mounted cartridge on SL-1200 is EPC-U1200 made by Matsucrapa/Panasonic. it has a conical-type stylus made especially for DJ scratching. M44-7 is a professional model cart released by Shure (of USA) also for DJ use. a new M44-7 original cart (old stock) used to sell from P900 to P1.5K here in Davao. Taiwan-made stylus for M44-7 still available from P300 to P350 in Raon (P90 to P250 here in Davao.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 at 11:18 AM by sandawa »

Offline rnb_zounds

• Collector
  • Dig my Rhythm and Blues!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:54 PM »
Sirs,

Anyone with the exact location ng nag titinda ng stylus sa Raon? Been there last year, kaya lang when you start asking, nobody wants to point you there. And many just shrug and say wala na yan. There seems to be just one or two that everyone else goes to. Kasi once I wrote down on a piece of paper the model, and then there was a runner. Where he went I dunno, pero came back said na 650 pesos (for a sony TT). I'm sure if I could get to the right shop it would be cheaper. Naasar nga ako minsan I asked for a shure stylus for my Technics 1200 eh 750 daw ??? ??? Sinabihan ko nalang na mas mura pa sa mall.  :( >:(

Thanks.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: May 17, 2006 at 09:08 AM »
before i discovered a major source of styli here in Davao last year, i used to buy there in Raon, 3 or 4 shops from the corner (Evangelista) going to Avenida. i don't remember the name of the shop, but it's dirty white building three or 4 floors high. they used to supply radio stations phono accessories. the price for Taiwan N44-7 back then ranges from P300 to P350.

if you know anyone here in Davao, or you are visiting this place in the future, the source is Lancer Electronics (sorry, they have no phone number) on San Pedro St. between cor. Ilustre and T. Claudio. Taiwan-made "Magnetic" brand M44-7 replacements are quoted P250 each. that shop has spares for most cartridge models, including hard-to-find styli (US-made by Walco) for Pickering, Stanton, Shure V15 series, etc. they also have styli replacements produced by Nagaoka Japan for Audio Technica models.

please don't ask me to buy for you since i'm very busy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006 at 09:10 AM by sandawa »

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: May 17, 2006 at 09:39 AM »
sir nani, are the spare styli for shure v15 carts still available at lancer electronics??
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: May 17, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
i already bought the last two units V15 Type IV styli. as far as i know, the only Shure V15 series available there now are the Type III and Type II, which have slimmer casings. i also bought three each for these since i have a Type III cart on my Thorens TD-320 and the Type II fits the bodies of my M-series carts. since you're based in Davao now, check them out and haggle.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: May 17, 2006 at 01:03 PM »
thanks, sir! :D

Offline rnb_zounds

• Collector
  • Dig my Rhythm and Blues!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: May 17, 2006 at 08:35 PM »
Thanks sir!  ;D Will scout for that place you mentioned.  :)

Offline BongerDude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #504 on: May 17, 2006 at 08:47 PM »
Bros, my dad has a huge collection of LP's.  Sa radio kasi sya dati nagwork.  Ang prob lang, wala na syang turntable ngayon.  How much po kaya aabutin para mapakinggan nya ulit mga LP's nya?  Yung ordinary lang po.  Sorry clueless ako dito eh walang alam.  Pang father's day gift ko sana sa kanya... (sana wag masyado mahal).  Thanks in advance mga gurus
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: May 18, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
i'm a certified "barat" and i go for vintage equipment that perform better than average gear. an entry- to middle-level phono in the used market there in Manila could range from P1.5K to P2.5K. looks could be sacrificed but not performance. basic considerations are stable spin (thru built-in strobo) and negligible rumble (very quiet even if you place your ear close to the platter, or to the woofer if amplified). remember, a turntable itself should never produce a sound. that's the function of the cartridge and stylus. if the unit does not have a good condition cartridge/stylus assembly, a set from the used market could be bought at a range of P1.5K to P2.5K. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 at 08:34 AM by sandawa »

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2006 at 10:25 PM »
gob-If you inspect the contacts between the original Technics headshell and the tonearm, you will notice that they are both GOLD-PLATED. If you check the contacts in the AT headshell, they are some kind of polished silver-like contact. What that metal is, i don't know.

Here is my point in all this: if you remember your Physics/Chemistry classes, when 2 dissimilar metals are in contact, there will be an electrical difference, meaning you created a battery. This equates, long-term into corrosion.

If you can get your hands on another original Technics headshell, then that is best. If you can't, as most of us do, then we have to make do in the meantime using the AT headshell. I suggest then cleaning/inspecting the contacts ever so-often for corrosion. If you do not plan to use the ttable for some time, I'd remove the headshell and store it separately. Just my 10 cents...

right now nga sir hirap narin maghanap ng AT headshell sa audiophile store, out of stock & no news kung magkakaron. meron sila vestax pre pricy.  medyo luma narin yun headshell na gamit ko & i dont know kung original technics basta mi noticeable made in japan.  made in japan din po ba mga AT?

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2006 at 08:32 AM »
hi, i am interested in using a tt for my setup kaya lang wala ako mga records kasi bata pa ako when i last saw our lp's. Meron pa ba mabibilhan ng mga records na lp ngayn. when was the lp format discontinued para alam ko kng me alam pa ko music from that era. tnx.

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2006 at 09:20 AM »
Try makati cinema square sa basement.

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: May 31, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
hi, i am interested in using a tt for my setup kaya lang wala ako mga records kasi bata pa ako when i last saw our lp's. Meron pa ba mabibilhan ng mga records na lp ngayn. when was the lp format discontinued para alam ko kng me alam pa ko music from that era. tnx.

you could also try sa marketplace marami nagbebenta ng lp's dun.  actually di naman totally discontinued coz some new titles are still available in lp.  di lang nga available sa pinas.