Author Topic: Turntable Part 2  (Read 229714 times)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Turntable Part 2
« on: Sep 21, 2002 at 11:24 PM »
Continuation of the thread Turntable as your Source....Anyone? .

Offline corrsty

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
Re:Turntable Part 2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 08:31 PM »
Schumie,

Kelan ang dating ni Clearaudio boss?  Puede ba naming ma-meet or kailangan existing customer ka nila?

corrsty

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 09:44 AM »
Hello corrsty,

I made a mistake, its not Peter, but Robert, the son who will visit the Philippines.

I'm not yet sure what his itinerary is when he arrives.  

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe some sort of small gathering to formally launch the brand here in the Philippines.  :)

Maybe some sort of small party with small giveaways such as MC carteidges.  :D

Maybe he will raffle off a Master Reference, complete with Master TQI arm and Insider Wood MC cartridge.  ;D

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 08:22 PM »
naks!!!!  sana ma-invite ako dyan.  btw, i got your text.  siguro not a the moment.  nag-iipon pa ako :o)

if its a master reference and the tq1 arm and the insider cart......yum!!!!

corrsty

Offline Racio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 01:28 AM »
Maybe some sort of small party with small giveaways such as MC carteidges.  :D

Maybe he will raffle off a Master Reference, complete with Master TQI arm and Insider Wood MC cartridge.  ;D

C'mon pare, let's rig the raffle na lang! J/K  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2002 at 01:32 AM by Racio »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 10:33 AM »
Hey Guys,
Don't forget me, sabit ako. Especially sa raffle.  ;)
Racio, If you won the raffle you can toss your thorens I wouldn't mind. he he   ;D

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 11:16 AM »
Hey Guys,
Don't forget me, sabit ako. Especially sa raffle.  ;)
Racio, If you won the raffle you can toss your thorens I wouldn't mind. he he   ;D

Pare, if ever Mr. Suchy goes out of his mind and gives away a Master Reference tt, and by a stroke of wonderful luck I'd win (even if it were just the Insider cart alone) sayo na yung Thorens ko!  ;)

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 11:41 AM »
Hey Racio,

How about me????  ::)

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2002 at 11:59 PM »
Will there be turntable demos?  Sana hindi lang Champion ang i-demo.  I guess AVDI carried products ang associated equipments kung may demo?

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2002 at 03:18 PM »
schums.....how are the Blue Points o ina-adjust mo pa rin :o)

edrich

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 08:15 AM »
Initial tests IMHO revealed, detailed mid highs.  A bit on the bright side.   :P

I have been playing my Telarc 1812 Overture to break it in for quite some time.  ;D

Now, mid-bass as well as bottom end is becoming more defined.  At last!  :)

I'm still going to experiment on my arm's VTA.  Orig washers to increase VTA height costs $15 a piece (kalokohan  >:().  Can't seem to find a local hardware store which has the same diameter for the washer.  :'(

I will be experimenting with DIY washers made of cardboard or illustration board or cartolina.  Maybe this will also be some sort of damping material for the arm.  ;D

I already have a 1-inch thick MDF to be used for the Turntable base.  Now to look for some cheap Vibrapods.  I'll first try out those 3M rubber feet.  I have a lot of these thingies.  :)

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 09:27 PM »
schums,

nice to hear you're enjoying your new cart.  pag-uwi ko parinig naman :o)

Ang tinik naman ng burn in record mo.  

Edrich

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 03:43 PM »
Sure corrsty!

BTW, remember when we were talking about that Ringmat thing?  I was doing some surfing and found out that if you use this Ringmat thingy, it is not recommended that you use a record clamp.  

Hmmm.... different priciple.  Others say that a Record Clamp is needed in order to "clamp" the LP to the platter firmly.  Producers of the Ringmat think otherwise.

So what goodies will you be bringing home?

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 08:24 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of different approaches.  Kakalito minsan.  Others say vacuum turntable is the way to go, but other says there are weaknesses also.

I think the Ringmat would add thickness to the platter, that's why you will need to adjust your VTA.  They do have the Ringmat edition where you can supposedly add or subtract mats so that you can almost play with the VTA.

When I get home, maybe we can try my tube phono stage in your system.  I just wanna now kung meron syang ibubuga sa XLP mo..hehheehe......

BTW, have tried using 6CA7 tubes instead of the EL34 tubes on your ST-70?

Edrich

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 10:26 PM »
Hey Racio,

How about me????  ::)

Pare, I'm sure we can do somethin' about yer crave for new wave vinyls. Let's give 'em ex-DJ guys a "Tony Soprano style" visit then.   ;)  

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2002 at 08:19 AM »
Hello corrsty,

Tubes have various aliases. EL34s are also called 6CA7s.  Right now, I'm using Great Britain GT 6CA7s.  Mullard?  I really don't know.  What I know is that, IMHO the mids are a lot musical as compared to other EL34s / 6CA7s I have tried i.e. "Wide Body" General Electric, Sovtek, Tesla, etc.

Hi Racio,

Nakukulitan na ata si Mr. ex-DJ sa akin eh.  ;D  I have texted him several times asking if he would sell some of his LPs.  He justs texts me back saying that when he does decide to sell, he will contact me.  For the meantime its BEBOP time!

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2002 at 03:51 PM »
There's a new Big Bottle type 6CA7s by Electro Harmonix.  They're getting good response in the Tube Asylum.  
Nagbabalak akong mag-uwi ng mga spare tubes, hindi nga lang NOS.  

Johnny Dude, how's our frolic in SoKor?  What gears did you see over there?  Pare, would you know what kind of wood would be a close match to Maples in terms of vibration, resonance, etc?

Edrich

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 07:02 PM »
Hi Racio,

Nakukulitan na ata si Mr. ex-DJ sa akin eh.  ;D  I have texted him several times asking if he would sell some of his LPs.  He justs texts me back saying that when he does decide to sell, he will contact me.  For the meantime its BEBOP time!

We'll just have to wait for ol' Sammy to come around then. Pity though that they're merely gathering dust somewhere.  :-\
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2002 at 08:57 PM by Racio »

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 09:23 PM »
Johnny Dude, how's our frolic in SoKor?  What gears did you see over there?  Pare, would you know what kind of wood would be a close match to Maples in terms of vibration, resonance, etc?

Edrich

Unfortunately, I didn't see any turntables, not even a single freakin' vinyl during our short stay there. Nothing in their 9-storey Techno Mart which was already packed w/ electronic goodies. Most were AV receivers, DVDPs, SACDPs and plasma tellys. Sadly, due to the language disparity, it became difficult for us to find a shop that caters to analog aficionados.  :-\

Which wood you say? Sorry, can't help you there bud since I'm only using MDFs for me amps' platform. Better check the DIY and tweaks forum at AA.  :)

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • What i can't find has not been recorded.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2002 at 11:08 AM »
There's a new Big Bottle type 6CA7s by Electro Harmonix.  They're getting good response in the Tube Asylum.  
Nagbabalak akong mag-uwi ng mga spare tubes, hindi nga lang NOS.  

Edrich

corrsty,

ok. ba rin yung 7591 ng Electro Harmonix as replacement for the orig RCA 7591 of my scott 299D?

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 02:19 AM »
Thanks John.

Been reading about maple wood as a good turntable support.  Look at http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/platforms.html

Hi Dondon,
Sorry,  I haven't tried them yet.  The other Electro Harmonics tubes seems to be regarded well.

Edrich

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 09:00 PM »
Thanks to Hyperaudio, i have reunited with Jeff Beck and Laurindo Almeida. On vinyl!

Offline corrsty

• Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 01:54 AM »
Congrats Arnold on your new analog rig.  Kakainggit ka man!!!

Edrich

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 09:08 AM »
hi all!

[newbie question]

i recall my parents having a turntable and a few records when i was a child, but since then, have not had the chance to tinker with a turntable again.

since joining pinoydvd, i've gone the home theater route and my current set-up is this:

Onkyo 494 (which amazingly, has a phono input)
Mission M73
Mission M7c1
Mission M70 (soon!)

i'd like to expand my set-up to include a turntable.  considering that this is fairly entry-level, would it be a good idea to do so?  or will a turntable require a better set of speakers, or a different receiver? i don't think i'll be upgrading in the next few years and i'm quite happy with my set-up (both for music and HT).  can you recommend a turntable which would match?  Thanks.

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 10:55 AM »
Hello tonedeaf,

You really don't need to have an excellent set-up to realize the benefits of an analog front-end.  Even simple set-ups will already give you great sound from LPs.  

Just note that it is very important that LPs are clean before playing.  Dirt on LPs is one of the major causes for poor sound performance.  Another factor would be a misaligned cartridge set-up.  Both these factors are the main reasons why most people go the CD route.  Yes, kailangan lang medyo matyaga ka when you go the analog route.  Don't worry about it, its well worth the trouble.

rtsy

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 11:04 AM »
Onkyo 494 (which amazingly, has a phono input)

Not because something has a phono stage it means it's a good phono stage.  ;-P

i'd like to expand my set-up to include a turntable.  considering that this is fairly entry-level, would it be a good idea to do so?

It depends on the turntable.  I've heard turntable-based systems that are just as clinican and harsh as CD based systems.  However on a good tuentable in a sympathetic system, the sense of rightness of sound on analog is truly something to behold.

Just like everything audio, a TT can be cheap (~PhP10k for a used direct drive model for example) or expensive (US$70k Rockport).  Ditto for vinyl discs which range from PhP50 for used ones to well over US$1,000 for rare oldies in mint condition.

I strongly suggest you visit Hyperaudio's shop so you can hear vinyl.

Also visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles where there are a bunch of vinyl (as well as digital) lovers.

Happy listening!

Offline young_hov

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 11:28 AM »
I do have to agree with sir Shoemaker.  You really don't have to spend a bundle to appreciate vinyl.  My setup is as basic as they get.  I'm just using a vintage Nak 420 and a Technics tt.  I don't know why but to my ears vinyl sounds so much warmer and natural.  It's tedious compared to cd's but in my opinion well worth the work.  Cheers!

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 05:56 PM »
Yup, I have heard of a lot of budget turntables, even direct drive ones, which were properly calibrated, being very musical.   :)

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 07:48 PM »
Thanks man! I'm really happy with this 'table.
Congrats Arnold on your new analog rig.  Kakainggit ka man!!!

Edrich

Offline hyperaudio

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 08:17 PM »
which 'table arnold? the oracle delphi with sme series III
and clearaudio aurum alpha?