Author Topic: difference between 6.1 and 7.1  (Read 1426 times)

Offline potus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
difference between 6.1 and 7.1
« on: Aug 31, 2005 at 09:59 PM »
Does a 7.1 system sound a lot better than a 6.1?  I've read that the sound from the 2 surround back speakers of a 7.1 system is the same so what's the difference compared to the 1 surround back speaker of a 6.1?  I need some advice coz I'm considering upgrading from a 6.1 to a 7.1.  With only a few 6.1 dvds available, I'm not sure if it's worth going for a 7.1.  But still . . . :-\

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
Re: difference between 6.1 and 7.1
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 08:29 AM »
As of this time, no difference. The main advantage of having a 7.1 system is just future-proofing. The possibility of having a new format like such may or may not come. But to some of us, it's like having a gun. If the time never comes that you need it, you lose nothing with having it around, which is much better than needing it and not having it. Just me, though.  ;)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline potus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:37 AM »
As of this time, no difference. The main advantage of having a 7.1 system is just future-proofing. The possibility of having a new format like such may or may not come. But to some of us, it's like having a gun. If the time never comes that you need it, you lose nothing with having it around, which is much better than needing it and not having it. Just me, though.  ;)

Thanks dude.  Will keep that in mind. 8)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:32 PM »
ur enjoyment with the 5.1, 6.1 or even 7.1 setup depends mostly i think with the listening area you have. the purpose of that additional channel is to obtain better effects, that is- instead of confining the sound to the left and right surrounds one or two more is added at the center, to obtain a more continuouis flow of sound. In a tight    listening area where the distance between the two speakers is just around 2 or 3 meters, a 5.1 setup is good enough, most especially when ur avrcvr maybe, is in that 100 w x 5 level. If u use a 6.1 or 7.1 setup in this type of listening environment, u might not maximize the use of it.

However, if you have large listening area or the distance of the speakers is already at 6 and above meters, 6.1 or even 7.1 setup is best because the separation and the fly around sound is more obvious.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 08:14 AM »
Bro jerix,

Not starting an argument ha? He he. Just going on with the discussion so we all learn more from each other.  ;D
I would say that what you just said is true. But a 5.1 channel set up is inferior to a 6.1 set up only when the dvd audio is decoded in DTS ES 6.1 discrete. Like the "The Haunting" DVD, which is encoded in both Dolby EX and DTS ES. Dolby EX is not really an issue since EX is just matrixed, meaning the signal on the left and right surrounds are just shared by the 6th channel. But it's more on Discrete 6 channel decoding that has the difference. But it may not really be necessary since, there aren't really that many DVDs that have discrete 6 channel encoding, so parang ganun pa rin like you said. Especially if you have just a small room. Even movie houses have just 5 channel set ups.  ;D Just my 2 cents.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 10:51 AM »
haha! ur right bro  ;D

My piece treats the issue in general. I didnt consider the material like disks in EX or ES. yeah i believe theyre great really in a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, but in my experience, it is primarily the size of the listening area that gives the beauty of listening to the EX or ES signal. i experienced setting up my 7.1  in a 3m x 3m listening area before during the repair of my living room, and though the DVD is in EX (We Were Soldiers R1 original)i really had to position my self very near the 2 surround centers and cut down the volume of the surround left and right to notice the sound from it.  Now, after bringing back the setup in my bigger living room, i noticed that the separation have become clearer and fly around effects more astounding.

This is just me and the experience of others may of course vary.  ;)

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 10:44 AM »
Yeah. The same thing with me, I often prefer to just use the presence and have the surround back off since this seem to give better directionality to the surrounds. Tama ka dyan bro. The separation seems to get a little lost with too many speakers. Pero ang ganda nya kung DTS-ES discrete ang source. Iba kasi talag pag discrete e, and only DTS has this. Dolby EX is just matrixed. Ingat, bro.  ;D

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 03:36 PM »
Yeah. The same thing with me, I often prefer to just use the presence and have the surround back off since this seem to give better directionality to the surrounds. Tama ka dyan bro. The separation seems to get a little lost with too many speakers. Pero ang ganda nya kung DTS-ES discrete ang source. Iba kasi talag pag discrete e, and only DTS has this. Dolby EX is just matrixed. Ingat, bro. ;D

What I know DTS-ES & DD-EX are all discrete 6.1 channel. 7.1 are still based on matrix decoding. You can really feel it with "Gladiator" or "Chicken Run"

Kung di 6.1 ang source, everything will be matrix.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
I also read from a HT mag that 7.1 is better than 6.1 because of the way our brain perceive noise from directly behind (6.1) as opposed to 2 speakers spaced apart behind our listening position. The ears (& brain) are able to perceive the 7.1 better than a 6.1.

Just the 2 cents of the Mag writer  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2005 at 03:58 PM by MAtZTER »