Author Topic: Columbia TriStar "SuperBit DVD"  (Read 21102 times)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Columbia TriStar "SuperBit DVD"
« on: Jul 27, 2001 at 04:42 PM »
Now available for preorder at Amazon:

Also available, Superbit 3-Pack :

Second wave of Superbit dvds now up for preorder at Amazon:

The Patriot (Superbit Collection)

Gattaca (Superbit Collection)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Superbit Collection)

Third Wave washing up on dvd shores, March 19:

The Big Hit (Superbit Collection)

Vertical Limit (Superbit Collection)

From DVDfile:

Attack of the superbits

"Yesterday Canadian retailer C&L spilled the beans early that Columbia TriStar Home Video will be releasing a handful of titles under a new banner entitled SuperBit DVD. These titles, reported to "set the highest standard for audio and video available on DVD," will drop special features in favor of turning over every available bit of disc space to picture and sound. These new releases are also notable as the first non-Steven Spielberg Columbia titles to include DTS-encoded soundtracks. The five titles, which are tentatively set for release in October, are Air Force One, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Desperado, The Fifth Element and Johnny Mnemonic.

When contacted about the titles and the new SuperBit line, a spokesperson for CTHV would neither confirm nor deny the releases. However, this new line of DVDs is not out of line with what our Sony production sources have been telling us for a long time - that many at Columbia have wanted an upper-tier, movie-only series that presents the "absolute best" in audio and video quality. (Unfortunately, these new releases will likely not be encoded at the full DTS bit rate, which may make one wonder what the point of the line actually is.) When and if a full press release with pricing and details is made available, we'll pass it along."

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2002 at 05:03 AM by benny »

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Columbia TriStar
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2001 at 07:38 PM »
This makes a lot of sense. At least in my opinion. Allocating disc space for sound & picture should take precedence over extra features that I seldom watch. Picture-sound quality is the whole reason for my migrating into DVD from previous media.  :)  
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Columbia TriStar "SuperBit DVD"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2001 at 01:02 AM »
This doesn't make a lot of sense actually if they will not encode the dts trackss to its full bitstream capability. Siguro mas maganda kung lahat na lang gawin nilang ganito (superbit) then on the 2nd disc all the extras. Konti lang naman ang price difference ng mga 2 dvd release sa single dvd release. In this case they wont make sacrifices on the quality of the audio and video.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2001 at 01:07 AM »
Ang naisip ko lang diyan eh baka naman the difference in the video quality is not that noticeable for TVs of a certain inch range.  Baka noticeable lang siya kung mga 40 inch TV na.

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2001 at 02:44 AM »

This doesn't make a lot of sense actually if they will not encode the dts trackss to its full bitstream capability. Siguro mas maganda kung lahat na lang gawin nilang ganito (superbit) then on the 2nd disc all the extras. Konti lang naman ang price difference ng mga 2 dvd release sa single dvd release. In this case they wont make sacrifices on the quality of the audio and video.

i agree, the important thing is, make the 1st disc jsut the movie with its full DTS encoding so we can experience the "real" DTS sound otherwise we are being fooled into thinking that a "non-fully-dts-encoded-movie" disc is a DTS masterpiece

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2001 at 04:37 PM »
Maganda ang point ni Robertj. Tutal kaunti lang ang price difference 2 disc sa 1 disc. Sana i-consider ng manufacturer ang gayon.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2001 at 01:03 PM »
Update on these SuperBitDvds from dvdfile:

"Columbia has just announced some retail info on their inaugural wave of SuperBit titles. The first five releases - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Johnny Mnemonic, The Fifth Element, Air Force One and Desperado - will debut on 10/9 with a retail price of $27.95. Each release features an anamorphic widescreen transfer of the film, English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround tracks. Extras are purposely nil and the DTS tracks are indeed only half bit rate (kinda odd for a line of "SuperBit" titles, but whatever.) It will be interesting to see how well these sell, and we'll be looking forward to getting our hands on 'em for review. Stay tuned! "

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2001 at 02:20 AM »
"These titles, reported to "set the highest standard for audio and video available on DVD,"

Wait a minute. Are they telling us that the DVDs we have now are not yet setting the highest standard for audio and video on DVD?

We are not talking new technology here, are we? They are still using the same technology to create DVDs, only this time they are giving more space in the disc to improve the picture and sound?

You mean may igaganda pa ang picture that we get from DVD now? At may igaganda pa beyond DTS?

Offline Kahon

• DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2001 at 03:52 AM »

"These titles, reported to "set the highest standard for audio and video available on DVD,"

Wait a minute. Are they telling us that the DVDs we have now are not yet setting the highest standard for audio and video on DVD?

We are not talking new technology here, are we? They are still using the same technology to create DVDs, only this time they are giving more space in the disc to improve the picture and sound?

You mean may igaganda pa ang picture that we get from DVD now? At may igaganda pa beyond DTS?

To provide a partial explanation, the video and sound as it is stored on the DVD is in a compressed format, meaning that redundant information of the picture and audio is discarded.  This information is adjudged to be those colors and hues and shades and notes and tunes which are beyond human perception.  So presumably, the less information you discard, the better the picture is.  The less information you discard, the closer you are to approximating the master copy of the movie.  As an example, there are 2 versions of  Twister, the second one (SE) being "enhanced", that is, D.D. with a higher bitrate transfer (plus other features like DTS, etc.)  Supposedly this should have made an improvement over the 1st version.

Also take note that compression technology is still improving, so it may take less information for current MPEG-2 and D.D. and DTS compression to approximate the quality that was churned out by DVD during its first year.  

From the DVD FAQ: "As compression experience and technology improves we will see increasing quality, but as production costs decrease we will also see more shoddily produced discs. ... DVD video is usually encoded from digital studio master tapes to MPEG-2 format. The encoding process uses lossy compression that removes redundant information (such as areas of the picture that don't change) and information that's not readily perceptible by the human eye. The resulting video, especially when it is complex or changing quickly, may sometimes contain visual flaws, depending on the processing quality and amount of compression. At average video data rates of 3.5 to 5 Mbps (million bits/second), compression artifacts may be occasionally noticeable. Higher data rates can result in higher quality, with almost no perceptible difference from the master at rates above 6 Mbps. As MPEG compression technology improves, better quality is being achieved at lower rates."

Offline yagballs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2001 at 09:55 PM »
just something that occured to me...

With all these high-quality-almost-perfect new dvds, isn't there a limit to what your tv can present or what the human eye can perceive?

I mean, lets say if you had a superbit dvd of crouching tiger, and compared it side by side to its regular dvd version. Would you actually notice the difference in quality? Would the human eye actually notice the change in sharpness, colors, etc. etc.?  Would the improvement be that significant?

Also, I know the tv can only present millions of colors right? (There is a limit, I'm just not sure how much) wouldnt this added quality be useless if your tv screen or even the latest hi-tech tv wouldn't be able to present it?

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2001 at 02:58 PM »
next batch of the so-called "superbit" dvds includes the patriot, gattaca, dracula.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 03:54 AM »

just something that occured to me...

With all these high-quality-almost-perfect new dvds, isn't there a limit to what your tv can present or what the human eye can perceive?

I mean, lets say if you had a superbit dvd of crouching tiger, and compared it side by side to its regular dvd version. Would you actually notice the difference in quality? Would the human eye actually notice the change in sharpness, colors, etc. etc.?  Would the improvement be that significant?

Also, I know the tv can only present millions of colors right? (There is a limit, I'm just not sure how much) wouldnt this added quality be useless if your tv screen or even the latest hi-tech tv wouldn't be able to present it?

Same perception as my earlier post.  Baka nga the difference is noticeable on certain sizes of monitors.  So why invest on it if you do not foresee yourself buying a really big TV.  Sige collection na kung collection at baka who know at you eventually buy a big TV, pero baka naman by then eh iba na naman ang technology so hindi mo rin nasulit ang ginastos mo di ba.

Ano lang iyan... marketing strategy to get more income from a particular movie.  Parang mga UE CE, SE, CC, etc. lang iyan.  Inuutakan na naman nila tayo.

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 12:35 PM »
Just modified my first post; put up links for preorder at Amazon, in case anyone interested. Note there is a 3-pack available. :)  

(Personally though, I'm not getting any of these as I'm a sucker for special features.  ;))

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2001 at 03:38 AM »
The Digital Bits has a taken a look at the Superbit "The Fifth Element".  Check out the verdict at --

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2001 at 01:02 PM »
Second wave of Superbits now up for preorder at Amazon, $20.97, Dec 11 release:

The Patriot (Superbit Collection)

Gattaca (Superbit Collection)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Superbit Collection)

(first post also edited)
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2002 at 12:53 AM by benny »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2001 at 03:32 PM »
Hey! I was looking for this thread! Thanks, benny!

Anyway, just wanted to announce that Hivizone is selling Region 3 versions of the Superbit DVDs. Maybe Astro will be selling them soon? ::)

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2001 at 11:05 AM »
MultipleAngles, really? in Region 3? Well, that's good news for anyone interested. It's always nice to know we have alternatives.  :) Thanks for the heads up.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2001 at 08:13 PM »
Maybe we could do a demo of superbit DVDs during the 2nd Marathon so that the members could see the difference.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2001 at 11:29 PM »
Below is a portion of the review by Mike Spring on the DESPERADO SUPERBIT in the DVDAngle site.

Look & Listen:

While the original Desperado DVD presentation was a very good one, the picture on the new Superbit DVD is nothing short of incredible. This high-definition transfer is presented in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen, and it is, in a word, breathtaking. Image clarity is razor sharp, with the cleanest lines I've ever seen grace a DVD. The big difference between this and the previous Desperado DVD's is evident in the finer details. While the earlier discs were very clear and sharp, the Superbit transfer gives an incredibly lifelike, picture-perfect image.  The razor stubble that is evident on nearly every character in the film, every grain of dirt on the ground, every drop of blood…all are outlined in near infinite detail. Even in scenes that are edited together in an "MTV-on-acid" frenzied style are so clean and clear that is impossible to lose track of the action, allowing you to continuously follow every character and object on screen. Also, the picture exhibits no noticeable excess grain, visual noise, or pixelation of any kind, which only lends to the intense clarity of the picture. Color saturation levels are perfect and spot on. There is a vibrant brilliance to the entire film, giving it a very three-dimensional and lifelike look. There is no color bleed or color shifting, and contrasts are excellent as well. Blacks are as deep and inky as possible, and shadow delineation, which can often be a disc's weak point, is stunningly good here. No matter how dark or shadowy a scene gets, every little detail is as noticeable as those that are evident in bright sunlight. Unlike many Columbia/Tristar discs, edge enhancement is virtually absent here, and the print as a whole is remarkably clean. The earlier discs featured a very minor amount of dust and debris, but the Superbit transfer is entirely devoid of any nicks, specks, scratches, or blemishes. Overall, there is no denying that this is simply one hell of a transfer, and Desperado has never looked better.

Desperado has never sounded better, either. Another superior aspect of the Superbit collection is the fantastic audio elements it presents. Viewers are presented with the option to watch the film in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (at the "lower" rate of 754 kbps).  Interestingly enough, while I am almost always a major proponent of DTS soundtracks, I found the two on this disc to be remarkably similar. The only real difference between the two is a slightly deeper bass presence in the DTS track (Editor's Note: This is most likely due to the 4 dB gain over the Dolby Digital track), but for the most part, dialogue and effects levels are almost identical in every aspect on both tracks. Whichever one you choose, however, you are in for a treat. This is one of the most aggressive and spatially spread out soundtracks that I've ever come across, and the result is absolutely stunning. First off, dialogue is incredible, with a smooth, natural timbre, crystal clear tones, and a lifelike quality to them that make it sound as if the performer on screen is actually in the room with you. But that's just the icing on the cake. The really incredible stuff is in the utilization of the surround channels. While the earlier discs did include very impressive Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes, the soundtracks on the Superbit disc are simply incredible. Panning and directional effects are pushed to their very uppermost limits, and not a single action onscreen goes unmatched by a corresponding sound effect. Footsteps, bullets, explosions, hand claps, breaking glass…this incredibly discrete mix places all of these sounds in a very widely spread soundfield. In an early dream sequence, as a villain walks through a room as the only person clapping, you can hear his hand claps travel 360° around the room before settling in the center channel. LFE usage is fantastic as well. Not only does the discrete bass channel lend its weight to every gunshot and explosion, but even to simple things like the sound of a booted footstep walking across a wooden floor. The gunshots sound like cannon fire, so imagine what the explosions sound like. Even simple foley effects, like the spurs on Antonio Banderas' boots jangling on the floor, are incredibly crisp and clear. To say that these tracks will (pardon the pun) blow you away would be a severe understatement.

Extras & Highlights:

Ummm… well, there's a cover box, and a little booklet, and a neat-o slip cover… ahh, never mind. There are no extras of any sort on any Superbit releases.

Menus & Interface:

Keeping with the "every spare fraction of space will be given to the sound and picture" tenet, the interface on the disc is as bare as can be. Menu options are presented against a brushed steel background that looks as if it would be much more at home on a Terminator DVD. There are no transitions, animations, sounds, or even photos of any kind, except in the scene selection menu, which simply offers static chapter previews. I can't say I'm terribly surprised that these aren't more impressive, but frankly, they're a little on the ugly side.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 12:03 AM »
Have you noticed that the titles with Superbit Editions are those that are already good quality in both audio and video (kahit hindi DTS ang first release)?

In fact some of these DVD are being used as demo in some stores especially the Fifth Element which is a favorite demo DVD of Automatic Center.

The thing is if a title of poor audio and video quality were to be converted like Midway (sample lang kasi Universal ito eh) which is 1.1 sensurround mono would be truly impressive it was to be made into a Superbit.

I was just wondering what Columbia/Tristar's process of selection of what will be made into a Superbit.

Since the target market of Superbits are the collectors, baka naman they are using some gathered data on what collectors prefer to be on Superbit.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 12:17 AM »
What titles would you buy if a Superbit Edition would be relased? ----  YUONG BIBILHIN MO TALAGA KUNG MAYROON.

Note the features of the Superbit especially the fact that it does not contain any added features.

My List:

1.  True Lies
2.  Speed
3.  Top Gun
4.  Madonna Virgin Tour
5.  Michael Jackson's Ghosts

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 02:56 AM »
first i agree with the following members:

RobertJ-about 2disc set na ihiwalay yung main feature sa extras.

Komikero-about the improvement of todays dvd to superbit,

and WedSinger-baka naman nga ang improvement ay very hard to notice.

Kung Sakaling Hindi Natin Makita Ang Improvement "NAPAKA-SWERTE NATIN" mga katoto kasi wala tayong pagsisihan at again pagkakagastusan na naman.

baka sa susunod naman ay "MEGABIT" ang lalabas na format, yan ang hihintayin ko at siguradong may difference na yan at kaya lang baka puro naman SHARON CUNETA MOVIES ang available, hahahaha!

It shows talaga na walang lubos na kaligayahan and always search for hapiness and improvement yan ang technology.

gusto ko TITANIC, FUGITIVE, TRUE LIES, THE MASK.....

vax

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 04:52 AM »
Iyon ang nakalimutan ko sa listahan ko... Titanic.

Kaya lang with it being 3 hours eh baka nabasawan ng quality somewhere.

Yuong Michael Jackson's Ghosts eh baka pwede nang full stream DTS since mga 1 hour lang siya - asa pa akong gagawin nilang Superbit.

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 05:00 AM »
weddingsinger, dun sa lists mo sigurado walang lalabas na superbit releases dahil walang columbia/tri-star titles don e. as of now columbia lang ang may superbit releases at mukhang exclusive lang sa kanila ito.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 05:58 AM »
Oo nga eh kaya hanggang pangarap na lang. :'(

Heathly rin naman kung inaaliw natin ang sarili natin sa mga simpleng pangarap like this. ;D

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 12:52 AM »
O sige, heto ang mga Columbia/Tristar titles ko na sana magkaroon ng Superbit:

1.  Starship Troopers
2.  The Replacement Killers
3.  Sniper (Tom Berrenger)
4.  Men In Black

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 01:17 PM »
DVDAngle has reviewed the new Superbit CTHD, link here. :)

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 01:38 PM »
Being a dvd addict i was really looking forward to upgrade my copies to the superbit edition...
but from what i read on the different reviews medyo nawala and excitement ko...since most of them agrees that there is only a subtle difference on the old and superbit version as with the video quality.
now..the only reason that is compelling me to upgrade is that the new superbit has dts audio track....
i'll probably just wait till i get a real good deal before i retire my old dvd copies....
just my 2 cents.
bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline woodie520

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdie Partner!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 05:25 PM »
Hey guys,

i just got a copy of Crouching Tiger (superbit).

ok naman sya when it comes to audio/video ... but my problem is ... wala syang english dub version ... i mean sa subtitles ka talaga mag rely .... yoko kasing magbasa eh .. kakaduling din pala pag tingin ... basa tingin .. he he he ....  ;D ... i'm planning to get Air Force one ... para sa darating na marathon .... pero mas maganda sana kung magkaroon ng Matrix.

wala lang  :-/

woodie520  ;)

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2001 at 03:24 AM »
Good news, retail chains like Best Buy and Wal Mart now carry lots of Superbit DVD's.
Listen to the silence...