Author Topic: Pioneer AVRs VSX-D514/914 - Any feedback?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pioneer AVRs VSX-D514/914 - Any feedback?
« on: Sep 01, 2005 at 04:54 PM »
I just saw these AVRs at Park Square (not sure which store, but I'm guessing Spectra). The guy there said they were totally brand new items, that in fact the units I saw arrived that day itself.

The Pioneer VSX-D514 is a 5.1 AVR meant for home theatre use while the VSX-D914 is its bigger brother with 6.1 capability. More notably, the VSX-D914 features the "Auto-MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System)" which "evaluates the acoustic characteristics of your media room and automatically calibrates your speakers and components accordingly", thus I believe would greatly simplify the setup for a beginning HT buff.

I checked the reviews of the 914 on CNet and at 6.7 is only a few points shy of the Harman Kardon AVR 130 (at 7) and only got a 6 on design. BTW, I asked about the prices of these babies and the VSX-D514 is less than P12,000 brand-new (the D914 I think would be around P14k).

So, my only question now is does anybody have any experience with these AVRs in particular, or Pioneer AVRs in general who can give feedback, suggestions or advice?

I'm currently debating between this and the HK AVR 130. The Pioneer should provide ample room to grow for at least a several years (it features component input/output which the AVR 130 lacks, for example), while on the other hand, the HK is a solid, known performer with proved thoroughbred lineage...
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 04:56 PM by alistair »

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer AVRs VSX-D514/914 - Any feedback?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:29 PM »
Just a few corrections... the store wasn't Spectra (but it wasn't Audio by Design nor 5th Avenue either so it's the other one :D). Oh, and the VSX-D914 isn't available here - the store only carries the VSX-D714 (at P15k or so) and the VSX-D814 (at P19k or so). Neither one features the auto MCACC, but have manual MCACC.

At the 19k price range, I'd probably rather go for the HK AVR-135.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Pioneer AVRs VSX-D514/914 - Any feedback?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2005 at 07:16 AM »

I'm currently debating between this and the HK AVR 130. The Pioneer should provide ample room to grow for at least a several years (it features component input/output which the AVR 130 lacks, for example), while on the other hand, the HK is a solid, known performer with proved thoroughbred lineage...

Bro if i were u, let the pioneer and the HK go on war in all their features and angles, vis a vis your way and style in life -  ;) Both i think have strength and weaknesses. Basic however is the alleged brightness of the pioneer and the warmth of the HK. Discover the preferences of your ears and u cant go wrong. I also got the same dilemna before between these two brands. Side by side I auditioned them, but owing to my style and the preference of my ears that love to hear instrumental and big band music, that like to hear more kalansings, the price considering the utility of the features i choosed the brighter pioneer. However the issue of brightness and warmth is not immortal one. There are speakers or even wires they say that can tame or neutralize brightness and warmth, gadgets that can improve or enhance the sound.  ;D

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II