Author Topic: 'Timbre matching' - how?  (Read 987 times)

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Timbre matching' - how?
« on: Sep 02, 2005 at 06:53 PM »
Somebody mentioned this in another thread and while I get the general idea of what it is (getting a set of speakers with matching 'timbre' or voice quality to help ensure a more seamless, consistent, convincing wraparound sound) I have no idea how one would go about doing this?

I mean, sound output can be objectively and accurately measured using an SPL meter to help in 'balancing' the power outs to your speakers, but timbre?

Say, I want to start with XYZ floorstanders as mains and a matching XYZ center and XYZ surrounds. Later on, suppose I decide to upgrade to Infinity Primus 360 floorstanders as my mains. How then do I ensure that they're still 'timbre matched', or, conversely, how do I avoid a system that's not 'timbre matched'?

(Aside from the obvious answer, of course, which is to spend $$$ to upgrade your center and surrounds to Infinity...)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: 'Timbre matching' - how?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 11:56 AM »
Timbre matching can be a difficult exercise between different brands or even between different models in the same brand.   For one, room accoustic conditions that have different diffractive and absorptive qualities adjacent to speakers can also affect the timbre between identical speakers, so they can sound different.  The safest bet and one often advised is to AT LEAST use identical speakers in the same brand or model.  And to make the room accoustics identical between left and right speakers, and also betwen front and back.  But this is rarely possible in the real world.  So having identical speakers in the same model would at least minimize timbral differences in a real room with disparate accoustic conditions where you put the speakers. 

I can understand the situation where you start with front L and R speakers, then expand to 5.1 later with the addition of other speakers.  Sometimes, if you wait long enough, the matching center and surround models may have changed in design or discontinued.  In cases like this, you will have to use aural discretion.  SPL meters can only check amplitudes, not the harmonics and overtones coming from a speaker that distinguishes their timber qualities or sonic coloration.   Unless you have an expensive spectrum analyzer. 

Also, trimbral difference between speakers do not exist uniformly across the audio spectrum.  It's possible two speakers may have the same timbral qualities in the low-mids or high mids,  but different elsewhere.  It's possible that a ferrari engine sounds the same across two different speaker brands,  but try a jet engine roar and there could be differences.

The best way to test is to use pink noise test.  Correlated pink noise, meaning in mono, contain frequencies from 20hz to 20khz.  They should give you an indication of the speaker's timbral qualities or sonic coloration (timbre and coloration in speakers mean the same thing).  Most AVRs have pink noise and some DVD players also have this.  If not, you can use some DVD or CD test discs with pink noise in one of their tracks.  The noise in between FM stations contain most of these freqeuncies and can be recorded for this purpose.  Do some AB comparative test and let your ears decide if the difference is objectionable, acceptable or none
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2005 at 12:01 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
In other words, just use your EARS bro, no need also to use all those electronic equipments that may add to your discontentment once two similar speakers  would appear to have different measurements --  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:37 AM »
Timbre is something to do with crossover cut of each speakers brand. When buying different set of speakers if you want to much with your existing brand (e.g. for sorround)  make sure it match the crossover point of your speaker (I think it's on the brochure/manual).
For me I rather stick to the same brand for a seemless sorround experience.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)