Author Topic: Mission speakers  (Read 306322 times)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mission speakers
« Reply #1410 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM »
I am a new Mission owner

Got a Mission MV-4 Bookshelf brand new from AVX (the former Image audio/video) in Harisson Plaza just last monday.

Currently being driven by a lowly Harman/Kardon HK3470 Stereo Receiver

I'm still in the 'break-in' period but so far, sound staging and stereo performance is a lot better than its predecessor, although I am still picky with the bass and treble performance for now. I hope the midrange tones down a bit though.

Update:
I brought the MV4s back to the shop yesterday (Thursday, Aug. 13, 2010) because the rear port started vibrating and actually became loose even on moderate music.

I initially opted for an upgrade to the M32i but it was actually more 'midrange-y' than the MV4s.

I also auditioned several 'replacement-upgrade' pairs like a Celestion 100 (on deep discounted sale because it had a damaged dome tweeter and a chipped enclosure), an Energy C100 (also on deep discount because it had damaged grilles and a poked woofer surround), a fresh out of the box Paradigm Atom and Monitor Audio BR2 which was WAY beyond my budget (asking for 22K and 19K respectively)

I'm still not happy with the bass and treble performance with the replacement pair when they were auditioned in the store. The store reasonably declined a refund.

In the end I settled to just have it replaced, and it was replaced by a black variant of the MV4s (I originally got the rosewood vinyl) since that's the store's last stock.

According to an old mission owner (our neighbor who owns an M73i), that's the hallmark of mission speakers - up front midrange and not much bass and treble.

I like the stereo performance and the sound-staging no doubt, the only problem is the midrange = I don't think it will ever tone down.

So now I have a brand new speaker pair that I have not even opened at home and most likely will end up in the 'marketplace'.

If anyone is interested in them, you know where to proceed.
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1411 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 02:47 PM »
Update:
I brought the MV4s back to the shop yesterday (Thursday, Aug. 13, 2010) because the rear port started vibrating and actually became loose even on moderate music.

I initially opted for an upgrade to the M32i but it was actually more 'midrange-y' than the MV4s.

I also auditioned several 'replacement-upgrade' pairs like a Celestion 100 (on deep discounted sale because it had a damaged dome tweeter and a chipped enclosure), an Energy C100 (also on deep discount because it had damaged grilles and a poked woofer surround), a fresh out of the box Paradigm Atom and Monitor Audio BR2 which was WAY beyond my budget (asking for 22K and 19K respectively)

I'm still not happy with the bass and treble performance with the replacement pair when they were auditioned in the store. The store reasonably declined a refund.

In the end I settled to just have it replaced, and it was replaced by a black variant of the MV4s (I originally got the rosewood vinyl) since that's the store's last stock.

According to an old mission owner (our neighbor who owns an M73i), that's the hallmark of mission speakers - up front midrange and not much bass and treble.

I like the stereo performance and the sound-staging no doubt, the only problem is the midrange = I don't think it will ever tone down.

So now I have a brand new speaker pair that I have not even opened at home and most likely will end up in the 'marketplace'.

If anyone is interested in them, you know where to proceed.

Update (Aug. 14,2010)

I've decided to unpack the speakers, do another break-in for these new pair, and this time turned on the Klipsch RW10 subs full time.

I'm keeping it.
Gay Stereophile

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1412 on: Aug 15, 2010 at 08:52 PM »
sir malamang kapag nabreak-in mo na nang matagal e mas gumanda yung tunog. If I may ask, magkano kuha mo sa MV4? Baka naman kasi konti lang yung difference sa M32i. Besides siguradong may discount pa yun. Anyway, congrats sa new speakers mo  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:42 AM by r0n1n »
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1413 on: Aug 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM »
sir malamang kapag nabreak-in mo na nang matagal e mas gumanda yung tunog. If I may ask, magkano kuha mo sa MV4? Baka naman kasi konti lang yung difference sa M32i. Besides siguradong may discount pa yun. Anyway, congrats sa new speakers mo  :)

I got it for 7.7K at AVX (the former Image audio/video) in Harisson Plaza.

Cash Price is 10% off the plastic (credit card) price so if I had hard cash then I could have gotten it at around 6930 bucks

M32i costs 20K (credit cards), 10% if cash

Regarding break-ins..

Well I did break in the first MV-4 (rosewood vinyl) from the moment it got home till I returned it (monday - Aug 2 to Aug. 13), speakers playing on soft volume on classical music 24/7.

I returned it because there was some weird cluttering sound which I pinpointed to the loose rear ports (bith left and righ ports were not glued correctly in the factory) hence was replaced by the shop.

Anyway, I noticed that indeed the sound staging was spectacular out of the box, but had less than stellar bass and treble performance as compared to the previous speakers I had (AE Evo 1s)

When I started using the replacement MV-4s (blackwood vinyl) it still had spectacular sound-staging and this time, better bass-treble performance as compared to the first pair, but still fall behind the AE Evo1s out of the box.

Its only when I turned on the sub (normally I dont use the sub at all except during parties with the EVO 1s) when the speakers finally did sparkle.

Also the midrange toned down just after 3 days of use, the treble is almost there at par with the EVO1s.

So instead of selling it (even first without using it) I've decided to keep it (it still does not sound right by themselves) but at least the sub will be frequently used now instead of just being a backup.

Why dont you come over and listen to it? bring your CDs or WMA/MP3s (DVD-/+R or CD-R formats only) because I still need other types of music (I only have classical/jazz/vocals). Hopefully R&B and Rock music can shake the woofers more and lower the midrange levels further.

Finally! Pictures (pardon the low resolution from the camera phone)

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM by mikeer2002ph »
Gay Stereophile

Offline [r0n1n]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 05:46 PM »
sir mikeer2002ph, baket ang mahal naman sobra ng M32? from same shop ba yung quote sa yo? Yung M33 15k lang mahigit. PM mo si sir vic.

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 09:11 PM »
sir mikeer2002ph, baket ang mahal naman sobra ng M32? from same shop ba yung quote sa yo? Yung M33 15k lang mahigit. PM mo si sir vic.

yep same shop (AVX) - the M31i (as big as the MV4) is already 15K less 10% on cash
Gay Stereophile

Offline [r0n1n]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1416 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 09:32 PM »
yep same shop (AVX) - the M31i (as big as the MV4) is already 15K less 10% on cash

ygpm

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1417 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM »
^ wow, I think I should stop doing impulse buying of speakers

well anyway, since I'll be keeping these pair, it will be quite some time before I ditch these.
Gay Stereophile

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Oct 02, 2010 at 08:57 AM »
^ wow, I think I should stop doing impulse buying of speakers

well anyway, since I'll be keeping these pair, it will be quite some time before I ditch these.

My bad. I am an ex-mission speaker owner so i have to let go of this thread.
Gay Stereophile

Offline mattmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1419 on: Dec 04, 2010 at 02:47 PM »
mukhang di na nag-carry ng mission ang dcm cubao?

http://designerscollection-ph.com/
tigoks na dcm..........wala kang maasahan din dun ???

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #1420 on: Dec 04, 2010 at 04:03 PM »
tigoks na dcm..........wala kang maasahan din dun ???

They're still very much alive. However, if you're looking for Mission, you should be visiting F.M. Apolinario instead. :)

Offline Felix

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1421 on: Dec 09, 2010 at 01:36 PM »

They're still very much alive. However, if you're looking for Mission, you should be visiting F.M. Apolinario instead. :)

sir ask ko lang if dealer b ang F.M. Apolinario if so mas mura dapat prices nila compared sa mga retail shops but im not sure if end users can purchase direct from them. tia.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #1422 on: Dec 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM »
FM Apolinario is the Mission distributor.
DCM is also a distributor, but of other brands. They have their own merchandise to distribute and sell.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #1423 on: Mar 01, 2011 at 04:54 PM »
I have auditioned Polk TSi and it's M series plus the Wharfedale 10 series earlier but I ended up with Mission Speakers  :) And I don't have any regrets. This is paired with an Onkyo 608.

Offline edison

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1424 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
Nakabili ako mission MV-6 floorstanding speaker, bakit hindi yata ako satisfied sa bass performance as sir mikeer2002ph said, same ata kami ng evaluation. Naliliitan ako sa overall sound pero malakas ang treble nya.,kelangan pa gumamit ng sub. Mukhang pang home theatre application ata ito, pag sa music kapos sa bass peo maganda imaging. Any comment on these MV series ng mission.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1425 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 10:23 AM »
Nakabili ako mission MV-6 floorstanding speaker, bakit hindi yata ako satisfied sa bass performance as sir mikeer2002ph said, same ata kami ng evaluation. Naliliitan ako sa overall sound pero malakas ang treble nya.,kelangan pa gumamit ng sub. Mukhang pang home theatre application ata ito, pag sa music kapos sa bass peo maganda imaging. Any comment on these MV series ng mission.

Your room can have a big influence on the sound quality of your speakers.
I just recently experienced this when I moved my speakers from my room to a music room.

You can try experimenting with speaker placement to find the sound you want.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 11:51 AM »

i am not familiar with the mv8, i'm using an m33i. according to the manual, there should be atleast .2m in between the back wall and my floorstanders since there is a port at the back. having less than that would have the tendency of having a louder bass sound but following the recommended manufacturer's spec would enable you to have a more defined bass sound.

plus if you have a separate equalizer or your receiver has a parametric equalizer, set anything below 60Hz up so low frequencies can be amplified a bit.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2011 at 11:58 AM by sientobente »

Offline edison

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1427 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 12:19 PM »
Tnx mga sir sa idea, try ko yung mga posibleng gawin,, pero if I connect these MV 6 speaker to a stereo amp dito ko nae-evaluate na kulang yung overall sound nya medyo maliit yung kalat ng tunog. Mas maganda ata yung mga lumang model ng mission as compared to these newer MV series. Gusto ko ata yung sinasabi nilang musical speakers na maganda sa music at ok din sa home theater application, yung malambot ang bass at punchy.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1428 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 12:40 PM »
oh before i forget, if the mv6 also has this feature to add weight by putting sand in it, then that may help too because it should reduce unwanted resonance coming from the cabinet plus the speaker driver will be stationed firmly enabling it's excursion to work naturally.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2011 at 12:42 PM by sientobente »

Offline blurayhd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1429 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:05 PM »
I have Denon engineered mission speakers SCM-51. The pseakers are part of the 2 channel component. The front grill has denon logo yet at the back it says designed by Denon for Mission model SCM 51. Nice sound quality for music. good mixture of bass.

Offline Rainbow63

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1430 on: Apr 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM »
Mga mission owners been comtemplating in getting the Mv-6 floorstander, any feedback on this speakers. kulang ba talaga ang bass response nya, i dont want to purchase this in the end if it will not pass to my expectations. please enlighten me sirs.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1431 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 07:18 AM »
audition niyo muna sir pero when i got to hear an mv6, it's pretty decent naman even if it wasn't totally breaked-in yet.

ang comment naman sa akin ng dad ko masyadong boomy ang m33i ko. minsan naman yung lack of bass can be compensated by your subs by turning the cut off on a higher frequency.

Offline Ibosotts

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1432 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 06:18 PM »
 ;D tanong ko lang mga sir okey bang ipares ang mission sa marantz pm 80 ;D
Kef
MiragePristage S10,Emotiva BasX PT-100, Behringer NX3000 Ultra
Dayton Spkr.AAudio Fs Pro,

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:09 AM »
;D tanong ko lang mga sir okey bang ipares ang mission sa marantz pm 80 ;D

i haven't heard how the pm80 sounded but the marantz+mission combo looks popular in threads i have read from the avforums.com

Offline edison

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Jun 22, 2011 at 08:33 AM »
Mga Sir, MV-6 or MV series speaker ay design for home theater application, so don't expect na maganda ang musical bass nya, pati ang high sobrang makalansing kasi nga pang home theater. Lagyan na lang ng sub para ma-improve ang bass, saka made in china na rin kasi ito kaya nga mas affordable na. Kung gusto nyo ng speaker na pang music application wag na yung pang HT kunin nyo or better have a separate system na lang kung pwede.

Offline mickmads

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1435 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM »
tuloy parin ba ang pagiging disto ng apolinario for mission speakers? anyone here have a working contact number? thanks  ;D

Offline volcomstoner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1436 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM »
Mga ser
Ok po ba mission mx1 sa audio? Rock,alternative ,heavy metal??? Ty
Mura kasi sya ..kaya kaya nya tapatan rtia1 ng polk?

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Aug 20, 2011 at 04:40 AM »
Mga ser
Ok po ba mission mx1 sa audio? Rock,alternative ,heavy metal??? Ty
Mura kasi sya ..kaya kaya nya tapatan rtia1 ng polk?

for me, i think there is a difference on the sonic characteristic between the two. rtis can sound a bit more lively while the mx would sound warmer. let your ears decide what it wants the most.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1438 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 06:14 PM »
I just auditioned a pair of Mission MX1 bookshelf speakers after reading that they are rated 5 stars by What Hi fi:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/Mission-MX1

Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLtYL-umWA

They sound great! Good bass, highs that blend in perfectly with its nice slightly sweet sounding midrange. I didn't expect much bass performance due to its compact size but the quality (and quantity) of the bass is a pleasant surprise. I did a back to back listen with PSB Image B4 (my current audio speakers) and the Mission sounds better. The B4's midrange was thinner compared to the Mission, and the bass of the B4 was weaker. The B4 may have a very slight edge in treble but overall the Mission beats it. The MX1's are also slightly cheaper than the B4, good job Mission!  ;D

Both speakers were auditioned with NAD C316BEE amp and NAD C515BEE CD player at Watt Hi-Fi Makati Cinema Square.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011 at 09:45 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26