Author Topic: Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory  (Read 1599 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
« on: Sep 21, 2005 at 03:40 PM »
At P350, this warner DVD release of an 80s filsm seems like a good comparative companion with the soon to be released Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.  I just might get it one of these days. 

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
Re: Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 04:00 PM »
At P350, this warner DVD release of an 80s filsm seems like a good comparative companion with the soon to be released Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.

Correction lang po. This is a 1971 film. I have this title myself. It's really a good-quality DVD.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
Ooops, early 70s pa pala.  ;D  I stand corrected.  Thanks.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
i saw this title almost two years ago, still in snap case selling for 350 during the first of many warner sales. I believe it was the "family christmas sale."  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2005 at 01:05 PM by riverfan »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 02:34 PM »
just a little disappointed that the "special edition" R3 sold here (the one with the commentary of the grown up wonka kids) is full screen.  :(

the older release R3 (below, right) is widescreen... but without the commentary.  :'(

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 02:48 PM »
So what's on display on Astro shelves are full screen!!! What a letdown.  :(

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
The fullscreen version appears to be better than the widescreen version since the original negative size is closer to 1.33 than to the widescreen aspect ratio (similar to James Cameron's Aliens). The widescreen release had the top and bottom part of the image covered to make the screen size fit.

from DVDTown:

Alas, things are still never so simple, because the new full-screen edition they give us is, in fact, not a true pan-and-scan rendering of the film at all; that is, Warners did not take a portion of the widescreen image and blow it up to fill the entire 1.33:1 area of a television screen. After comparing a dozen or more scenes in the new full-screen edition to the exact spots on the new widescreen edition, I found the new full-frame version to have cut off only a fraction more image information left or right, while providing more information top and bottom. The new full-screen edition would appear to be closer in size to the original film frame stock from which the widescreen was matted, although, interestingly, there are size differences between this new full-screen and Warners’ old standard cut of the film. (d**n, isn’t anything easy?) What’s best, though, is that the colors in the new editions are cleaner, sharper, brighter, richer, deeper, and better defined than on the old editions, ostensibly the result of new transfers or better production techniques.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2005 at 04:38 PM by THX1138 »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2005 at 07:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

when I first saw this DVD a long time ago, I immediately bought it for my kids.  I remembered the movie kasi when I first saw it when I was a kid and it brought happy memories. 

Now my eldest would watch this movie again and again.  He would tell me, "Daddy, want to watch lompa lompa".  hehehehe.   ;)