Author Topic: Veronica Mars  (Read 18953 times)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Veronica Mars
« on: Sep 23, 2005 at 01:27 PM »

Veronica Mars is set in the wealthy, seaside community of Neptune, where the rich and powerful make the rules, own the town and the high school, and desperately try to keep their dirty little secrets just that…secret. Unfortunately for them, there's Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) a smart, fearless 17-year-old, apprentice private investigator dedicated to solving the town's toughest mysteries.

During the day, Veronica must still negotiate high school like any average teenage girl. Along with fellow outcast, sophomore Wallace Fennel (Percy Daggs III), she bravely maneuvers her classes, wary of former in-crowd friends, like ex-boyfriend Duncan Kane (Teddy Dunn) and his best friend Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring), and edgy outsiders, like Weevil (Francis Capra) and his P.C.H. Bike Club boys.

At night, Veronica looks after her former-Sheriff father Keith Mars (Enrico Colantoni) and helps with his struggling, new private investigator business. By sneaking through back alleys and scoping out no-tell motels with a telescopic-lens camera and her math book, Veronica attempts to uncover the California beach town's darkest secrets, including who killed her best friend and Duncan's sister, Lilly, and created a scandal that cost her father his job, his home and wife.

Pushed to the edge of this multicultural, venomous little Peyton Place, Veronica Mars relentlessly continues to search for evidence that will clear her father's name and get her back into the "in-crowd," but what she finds may tear the town of Neptune apart at the seams.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
Re: Veronica Mars
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 01:30 PM »
season1 just ended last week, and now they're starting it over again (just like Joan of Arcadia). try to catch this at ETC every wed 8pm, and replays on sun 4pm and mon 5am  8)

this is no teen drama series  ;)

Offline vinta18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 09:18 PM »
It's been hailed as the new "Buffy" and no less than Joss Whedon himself loves the show.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 01:19 PM »
I just finished the first season on DVD. I liked how there was a major mystery story arc that evolved throughout the entire season, while every episode had its own minor mystery/crime to solve. The slight cliffhanger/hook at the end of each episode worked well. It didn't feel as forced as Alias' annoying episodic cliffhangers during that show's first season.

It's addictive, and much better than most typical teen shows. Some plot twists I really didn't see coming. My main complaint was that they really rushed the end - they kept you hanging on all the main story arc issues until the very last episode, so that was full of "blink and you'll miss it" revelations.

I think the only thing the show has in common with Buffy is that Veronica is a beautiful, intelligent and sometimes sarcastic crime solver... in high school. Plus it has Willow and Cordelia as guest stars, so I guess they're really milking the "they're the next Buffy" publicity.

http://blogs.pinoydvd.com/mrhankey/
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2005 at 01:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 04:08 PM »
Mr. Hankey, could you refresh my memory, which episode did Charisma Carpenter guest in?  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 04:47 PM »
She's the mom of Dick and Beaver Casablancas, the two buddies of Logan.

Matanda ka na.  ;D

Okay... stepmom naman...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 05:40 PM »

Matanda ka na.  ;D

Okay... stepmom naman...

true... isn't allyson older than charisma? and yet she played an "ate" LOL.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 05:49 PM »

Matanda ka na.  ;D

Okay... stepmom naman...

Really? Wow, I did not notice her at all.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:18 PM »
When you see her, you'll remember her. I'd say she's been in a bikini/naked for 90% of her screen time so far.

By the way... Season 2 na nga pala yun, sorry.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:40 PM »
When you see her, you'll remember her. I'd say she's been in a bikini/naked for 90% of her screen time so far.

gotcha! LOL. i wonder when ETC will start season 2.  ;)

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 09:27 PM »
Nope, Charisma is older than Alyson.

Re: the season ender being rushed, I think it's because they thought the show was about to be cancelled so they closed the arcs rather than leave it hanging like "John Doe." Anyway, "Lost" could stand to learn a lesson or two from VM regarding holding back answers. (I'm betting the final answer we get to Lost's mystery would either be so mind-blowing or something that has been speculated before on some message board.)

Anyway, the show is a perfect example of how to balance season-long arcs and one-shot episodic plots.   

Just saw episode 2 of season 2. Woo hoo, Kevin Smith plays a... CLERK!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 08:44 AM »

Ah ok, season 2 pala. Haven't seen that since I'm only watching on ETC. Magugulat naman ako kung hindi ko siya napansin tapos naka bikini pa pala siya!  ;D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 03:44 PM »
baka next year pa season 2 on ETC  :(  but the good thing is I can watch the early episodes of season 1  ;D  started watching this show at the middle kasi

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
btw, until what season did this last? kirsten bell has lots of upcoming movies so better watch out for her  8)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 05:17 PM »
I just love this show. I gave it a chance one Sunday and i was totally hooked! Though sometimes, i miss some episodes. It's really smart, funny and heart-wrenching especially the end of season 1 and her mom's problem. Nancy Drew never had it so good! It's too bad it doesn't get as many viewers. I wonder what special features the DVD has?

Offline arbitrary

• Collector
  • i lurk a lot.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 06:25 PM »
As far as I know, they are few extras in the DVD set. The unaired extended pilot, and then a few deleted scenes. There's a review of the DVD here, and specs are listed here. Too bad, it's such a great show, I'd have loved to know more about what went on behind the scenes.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2005 at 04:29 PM »
btw, until what season did this last? kirsten bell has lots of upcoming movies so better watch out for her  8)

The show is currently on its second season in the States. It doesn't rate too well, but it does have enough of a cult following to at least finish this season. I hope it gets renewed for a third, since I see this show as one that can keep you hooked for a while.

As far as I know, they are few extras in the DVD set. The unaired extended pilot, and then a few deleted scenes. There's a review of the DVD here, and specs are listed here. Too bad, it's such a great show, I'd have loved to know more about what went on behind the scenes.

I read an interview with the show's creator about that. They were informed of the release of the show on DVD at too late a time to do additional special features. The option became either release it with just the deleted scenes/extended pilot in time for the start of the second season, or to release it after the second season had already started. That wasn't an option, since they felt the DVD set might hook a few more viewers and improve the show's ratings. That tactic actually worked for "24." The first season rated poorly, but the DVD release made the show a huge sophomore season hit.

However, if you want an additional special feature not on the discs themselves, then you can dowload an audio commentary for the pilot by the show's creator, Rob Thomas. It's at his web site, http://www.slaverats.com. Easy instructions on how to access/download it here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4277

Offline arbitrary

• Collector
  • i lurk a lot.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 12:35 AM »
Oh hey, that's a great site! I'm off to download mp3s to use as ringtones. Thanks. ;D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 03:20 PM »
The show is currently on its second season in the States. It doesn't rate too well, but it does have enough of a cult following to at least finish this season. I hope it gets renewed for a third, since I see this show as one that can keep you hooked for a while.

sir, can you share what's the main crime/mystery for season 2  8)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 10:22 PM »
Will let you know in a few days... I've been out of town and will catch up with the two episodes I missed first. Wala pang clear main mystery after the first two episodes that I watched.  :)

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 09:31 PM »
MAJOR SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2

A schoolbus filled with a few schoolkids runs off a cliff killing everyone but Meg. As of Ep4 it's apparently not an accident and it may have been meant to kill Veronica.   

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 12:23 AM »
MAJOR SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2

A schoolbus filled with a few schoolkids runs off a cliff killing everyone but Meg. As of Ep4 it's apparently not an accident and it may have been meant to kill Veronica.   

wow, what a way to kill V Mars  ;D  cant wait for season 2

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 07:35 PM »
season 2 coming soon on ETC  8)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Veronica Mars
« Reply #23 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 10:56 PM »
Season 2 tomorrow night on ETC at 8pm.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 04:53 PM »
was able to watch its replay last sat. great great season opener. i still like their style of showing the events - flashbacks to current. nice to see kristen bell again  8)  but i thought they had a new opening song?
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2007 at 11:40 PM by RNIverson »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Veronica Mars
« Reply #25 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 08:36 PM »
It's still the same: We Used to Be Friends - The Dandy Warhols.

Charisma Carpenter is hot! Steve Guttenberg seems creepy. I also notice that most actors here also appear in Big Love.

I'm so glad I gave this series a try. It's addictive and the mysteries hook me to await each episode.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:29 PM »
Charisma Carpenter is hot!

one hot momma indeed!!!  :D

some trivia...
The only two actresses considered for the role of Kendall Casablancas were Heather Graham and Charisma Carpenter. Graham was working on "Emily's Reasons Why Not", and Carpenter was an actual fan of "Veronica Mars", so she ended up being cast in the role
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:30 PM by RNIverson »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 03:34 PM »
she looked excellent! which is good coz there was a hallmark movie i saw starring her and she was kinda heavy. her ankles were large!

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2006 at 07:57 PM »
anybody who's seen the 2nd episode? i was only able to watch today's replay, but it was a replay of the 1st episode  :-\  so was the 2nd episode aired last wed, apr19?

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Veronica Mars
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2006 at 09:43 PM »
I also get to catch replays too. So far, no 2nd episode. Solar Entertainment is notorious for showing repeats even after a show has just premiered.