Author Topic: Top Ten Best Filipino Flicks  (Read 66962 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Top Ten Best Filipino Flicks
« Reply #120 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 12:56 PM »
Watch Jojo's copy. Or better yet, see it on the big screen. It's not colored, anymore, tho, or so I hear--apparently, it's monochromatic, now.

What's monochromatic, man? One color scheme? Too bad, I didn't check Jojo's copy. His copy of Bernal's HIMALA and Mike de Leon's ITIM, KISAPMATA are the most stunning print I ever saw!
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 08:40 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #121 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 01:27 PM »
Jojo's copy I'm assuming is in color--that was the state of the ABS CBN's master copy. The safety print made out of the last deteriorating print of Tatlong Taong has lost its colors, I hear. I hear it's improved the film, but I'd like to see that for myself. 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
Sad to hear that Noel, about the state of film preservation here in our country. The one that they shown at Pelikula was I think copied also from the vhs, not the original master print.

Did NV productions sold their original master print at Abs-Cbn also?
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 01:53 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 02:17 PM »
Jojo should be able to answer that. I suspect it just hung around in the CCP archive, and when they need permission to show the print, they look for Nora.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 04:44 PM »
What Oro, Plata, Mata failed because of so many characters, TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS was able to accomplish. Both are epic in proportion.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 05:13 PM »
Peque was awesome in Tatlong Taong, by the way. That scene he has alone with Nora where he tries to explain Christopher's nature, he uses his lack of facility with Tagalog to make the moment even more moving--he has to feel his way through an unfamiliar language, while feeling his way through Nora's complex emotions.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 05:15 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 06:01 PM »
Sad to hear that Noel, about the state of film preservation here in our country. The one that they shown at Pelikula was I think copied also from the vhs, not the original master print.

Did NV productions sold their original master print at Abs-Cbn also?

most of the prints of NV produced films have been burned along with the theater that Nora owned in Bicol. that's why there are no existing copies of Carmela, Paru-Parong Itim & Super Gee to name a few. the only surviving print of Tatlong Taon was found lying in a storage room at Nora's Valencia residence. i have no idea how the CCP got it. some say Pearl Valdez sold the print for a large sum of money.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 06:07 PM »
Jojo should be able to answer that. I suspect it just hung around in the CCP archive, and when they need permission to show the print, they look for Nora.

we're trying to get the print restored with brand new subtitles Noel for the 30th anniversary of the second golden age of Philippine cinema. the problem is government funding. they won't even shoulder the expenses on the restoration work for Insiang. Unitel wanted to pay for them but Ruby Tiong Tan won't give them the rights to release the movie. same with Tatlong Taon. the print is in really bad shape. it's almost black & white. the colors have faded, there are certain portions when you can hardly hear the sound. you cannot even appreciate the brilliance of Conrado Baltazar's cinematography. the copy i have is in much better shape, at least it's still in color.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 06:12 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 08:23 PM »
Peque was awesome in Tatlong Taong, by the way. That scene he has alone with Nora where he tries to explain Christopher's nature, he uses his lack of facility with Tagalog to make the moment even more moving--he has to feel his way through an unfamiliar language, while feeling his way through Nora's complex emotions.

Yeah, Mario O'Hara was able to bring out the best in him. He's proud of his accomplishment in TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS.

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 03:45 PM »
Sino po dito mayroong copy ng "Hinugot Sa Langit", "Galawgaw" and "Underage"? Pls. email me at [email protected]

Thank you very much!  :)

Offline uebetan12

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 03:54 PM »
bat di niyo gawing poll ito para malaman natin sa botohan kung sino talaga ang top ten,

based on the number of votes

or gayahin natin ang rankings ng imdb.com na top 250 movies of all time all
over the world

para malaman natin kung pang ilan ang mga personal choices natin.....kung marunong lang akong gumawa ng poll sa internet para sa botohan, ako na mismo ang gagawa.

sana me masipag na mag volunteer sa mga magaling dyan sa computer

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 03:56 PM »
same with Tatlong Taon. the print is in really bad shape. it's almost black & white. the colors have faded, there are certain portions when you can hardly hear the sound. you cannot even appreciate the brilliance of Conrado Baltazar's cinematography.

What I know from CCP is that they went for a compromise--a safety print made off of that positive, one copy in Fukuoka, one with CCP. The colors are gone, I've heard claims it 'looks more like a period film now,' but I haven't seen that safety print.

What you're talking about sounds like a full restoration of the original positive?
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 03:58 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline butsoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 04:01 PM »
TOP TEN

Hinugot Sa Langit
Ikaw Pa Lang Ang Minahal
Bona
Bata, Bata, Paano Ka Ginawa?
Himala
Kaya Kong Abutin Ang Langit
Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang
Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?
Temptation Island
Katorse

:)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 05:24 PM »
Sino po dito mayroong copy ng "Hinugot Sa Langit", "Galawgaw" and "Underage"? Pls. email me at [email protected]

Thank you very much!  :)

Check out the archive of Cinema One, butsoy. They usually show the classics at 3pm. I think they should reformat their programming. The prime time sked are mostly mediocre films.

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 06:56 PM »
How come no one's even considering Rizal? It's a good one for me and I've heard it got good reviews from Clinton. I also liked the conversations in an old Dindo Fernando film (Tubig at Langis???) with Vilma Santos and Amy Austria, a movie about polygamy.

Jologs is good for its being non-linear. Pasiyam was effective and somewhat believable (Mother's Revenge)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:17 PM »
TOP TEN

Hinugot Sa Langit
Ikaw Pa Lang Ang Minahal
Bona
Bata, Bata, Paano Ka Ginawa?
Himala
Kaya Kong Abutin Ang Langit
Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang
Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?
Temptation Island
Katorse

:)

Only few people notice the artistry of Joey Gosiengfiao. Yeah, TEMPTATION ISLAND is his best work, check out also NYMPHA, BOMBA STAR & UNDERAGE.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:31 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:18 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:51 PM »
bat di niyo gawing poll ito para malaman natin sa botohan kung sino talaga ang top ten,

based on the number of votes

or gayahin natin ang rankings ng imdb.com na top 250 movies of all time all
over the world

para malaman natin kung pang ilan ang mga personal choices natin.....kung marunong lang akong gumawa ng poll sa internet para sa botohan, ako na mismo ang gagawa.

sana me masipag na mag volunteer sa mga magaling dyan sa computer

Uebetan can you post your top ten lists?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 06:51 AM »
What I know from CCP is that they went for a compromise--a safety print made off of that positive, one copy in Fukuoka, one with CCP. The colors are gone, I've heard claims it 'looks more like a period film now,' but I haven't seen that safety print.

What you're talking about sounds like a full restoration of the original positive?

it is a full restoration of the original positive. the problem is the cost... it's too expensive! we really need help. the efforts we are exerting for this to push through is not enough.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
Yeah, calculated the cost once, maybe in 1999--roughly two or so million pesos. If it were digital restoration, it would be a million dollars.

Have you seen the Japan Foundation safety print?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #140 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM »
How come no one's even considering Rizal?

It's not really a good movie. It's too masturbatory. It's all about Abaya stroking her ego thinking that with a big enough budget and an epic scope she can make the Great Filipino Film. She fell far short of her grandiose goals.

No offense of course to Abaya fans.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:51 PM by indie boi »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:56 PM »
Montano was just a zombie delivering his monologue on that Rizal flick. The supporting cast though were good especially Jaime Fabregas.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006 at 03:08 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
Actually, Fabregas blew Montano off the screen. His final statement was more moving, more dramatic. Even his Spanish was better.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006 at 01:44 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 11:11 PM »
Assuming Montano did a terrible job as Rizal (if I'm not mistaken he won the best Actor award on this one) it does not bring the whole film down. It succeeded in its story telling which is first and foremost (for me) the yardstick from which to judge whether a film is worthwhile or not.

Assuming Montano did a terrible job (which imho he did not, did you even see the stillborn child burial scene? If his performance on this scene didn't touch a nerve, I don't know what will) there were "still" other notable performances in the film, one of which you mentioned was Jaime Fabregas and my other pick, Gloria Diaz.

Montano had to play Rizal and if his transformation wasn't satisfactory for you, well I for one gave him a more forgiving performance rating. Who the F knows how to play Rizal? Who and where will you base it from? The man is dead for more than a century!Montano played Rizal as a compassionate man, a man passionate about family, women, science, country and to a lesser degree(unfortunately for this movie) about religion.  He was successful in displaying an aura of bravado BUT was also able to exhibit vulnerability and wisdom for non-conformity to violence.

If the only benchmark from which to judge Montano's performance is on how he delivered his foreign monologues then I say let's strip him off of all the awards he got for this film but I believe that the award giving BODIES were not as narrow minded when they gave him his accolades.

Here are the awards and nominations won by this film:

Awards and nominations
Winner of 16 awards at the 1998 Metro Manila Film Festival including Best Picture, Best Actor (Cesar Montano), Best Director (Marilou Diaz-Abaya), Best Supporting Actor (Jaime Fabregas), Best Supporting Actress (Gloria Diaz), Best Screenplay (Ricardo Lee, Jun Lana and Peter Ong Lim), Best Original Story (Ricardo Lee, Jun Lana and Peter Ong Lim), Best Cinematography (Rody Lacap), Best Editing (Jess Navarro and Manet A. Dayrit), Best Sound (Albert Michael Idioma of Road Runner), Best Production Design (Leo Abaya), Best Special Effects (Mark Ambat of Optima Digital), Best Makeup (Denni Yrastorza Tan), Best Musical Score (Nonong Buencamino) , Best Movie Theme Song (Nonong Buencamino for "Awit ni Maria Clara") and Best Festival Float. The movie was also a recipient of Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award.

Winner of 11 awards at the 1999 FAMAS Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor (Cesar Montano), Best Director (Marilou Diaz-Abaya), Best Supporting Actor (Jaime Fabregas), Best Cinematography (Rody Lacap), Best Editing (Jess Navarro and Manet A. Dayrit), Best Movie Theme Song (Nonong Buencamino for "Awit ni Maria Clara"), Best Musical Direction (Nonong Buencamino), Best Production Design (Leo Abaya), Best Screenplay (Ricardo Lee, Jun Lana and Peter Ong Lim) and Best Special Effects (Rolando Santo Domingo).

Winner of 6 awards at the 1999 Gawad-Urian Awards including Best Direction (Marilou Diaz-Abaya), Best Cinematography (Rody Lacap), Best Music (Nonong Buencamino), Best Production Design (Leo Abaya), Best Sound (Albert Michael Idioma) and Best Supporting Actor (Jaime Fabregas).

Winner of 8 awards at the 1999 Star Awards for Movies including Movie of the Year, Actor of the Year (Cesar Montano), Director of the Year (Marilou Diaz-Abaya, Supporting Actor of the Year (Jaime Fabregas), Adapted Screenplay of the Year (Ricardo Lee, Jun Lana and Peter Ong Lim), Editor of the Year (Jess Navarro and Manet A. Dayrit), Musical Scorer of the Year (Nonong Buencamino), Production Designer of the Year (Leo Abaya) and Sound Engineering of the Year (Albert Michael Idioma).

It has been screened and in competition in different film festivals worldwide and included in the Official Selection for Panorama in the Berlin International Film Festival (1998). It also won 2nd runner-up in the Audience Award of the Toronto Filmfest.

If this film is a product of Diaz-Abaya's MASTURBATORY style in film direction, I say she should indulge in her self more   ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 04:15 PM by atomicat10 »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
Oh, awards--well, ask Jojo de Vera about the credibility of the Urian/Famas/what have you re: Himala.

And check out Albert Martinez's stillborn child scene in Rizal sa Dapitan; same scene, less fuss. In fact, Montano seems to have lifted the idea of how to play the scene from Martinez.

Full disclosure: I'm not a disinterested observer; I was involved with the writing of Rizal sa Dapitan. That said, it's not my favorite Rizal film, there is another.

As for interesting Rizals--I think Gardo Verzosa's in Mario O'Hara's Sisa is profanely sexual, earthy, and in the end, far more moving. And Joel Torre's Rizal in Mike de Leon's Bayaning Third World is fascinatingly opaque--you don't know what he's thinking about, and you badly want to.

Mike de Leon was right abouth Diaz-Abaya--she doesn't have the depth to comprehend Rizal.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 10:31 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 11:07 AM »
Marilou Diaz Abaya should go back to small films and fleshing out again those feminist angst that became her trademark. Saw MORAL last night and I would say again and again, its her best film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 11:12 AM »
My favorite film of hers is May Nagmamahal sa Iyo. Most moving, anyway. Moral's very good, but I thought it was more Ricky Lee's film...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
You can watch MORAL anytime, in the middle or some other portions of the film and you can still grasp the whole narrative of the movie. The four characters are not left behind mainly because you are right Noel, Ricky Lee's terrific script.

As for the award giving bodies, well, they all lost their credibility when none of them noticed Nora's portrayal in Bernal's HIMALA. Another case of time will tell as you always say.

And one thing more, the critics whom I considered the barometer of award-giving bodies, didn't get Montano's nod for his portrayal of Rizal.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:31 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
"time will tell" or "awards are a result of compromise and politics."

Even the Oscars. Ask Klaus Weasley about that award-gviing body...

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM »
Yes, I believe they are but when other people notices I think their opinions should also be respected and NOT hijack yourselves psychologically thinking your opinions are the only ones that matter.

Himala was lambasted by the award giving bodies locally(but not all) but it got recognition outside. Are you now going to say that foreign award giving bodies are the only legit of their kind (how about the Oscars?) or are we going to put them all under one category-CRAP?

Himala was beaten out locally by a film (Relasyon) directed by Bernal  and written by Lee (correct me if I'm wrong) who also happens to be the same duo who did Himala.  If Himala was so "up there", I guess it's only logical that the same people who did it are the ones who can (and did) UPMAN it...

...or is this another Nora Aunor vs. Vilma Santos thing because if it is, I'm out. 

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 01:24 PM by atomicat10 »