Author Topic: PROBLEM WITH TEAC AVR  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Lawin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PROBLEM WITH TEAC AVR
« on: Sep 27, 2005 at 03:19 PM »
To Pinoy DVD'ers,

I have a family friend who bought a TEAC 5.1 Receiver Package (AGD8000 AVR, Speakers & SubWoofer) last April. It performed nicely (as he says sound is comparable to a Marantz) but after 3 months or so, it developed a problem where it plays VERY LOUDLY in DTS or AC3 mode (volume cant be controlled), using TOSLINK or COAX, but is OK using stereo source. He had it checked by the TEAC Service Center (also a Marantz service center) somewhere in QC. After testing it and confirming the problem the service center replaced it with a NEW unit (same model).

Again this week, after another 3 months -- exactly the same problem occured! He brought it back to the service center but this time they will have it repaired for 5 days. His concern is if this is a factory defect and may reappear again after the warranty period, thus he intends to:

1. Return the unit for a CASH refund ( he bought it from Abensons, SM North EDSA)
OR
2. Return it and change to another AVR unit preferably Marantz

Appreciate your comments/suggestions on how to best address this.  I'm concerned for this guy as he is not very technical (used his retirement money to buy the system) and I was with him when he bought the system (sort of . . . influenced by me). Thanks in advance!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: PROBLEM WITH TEAC AVR
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2005 at 11:11 AM »
Sounds like the problem is in the preamp chip and common to the model.   If you can have a cash refund, do so and get another brand. 

Offline Lawin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
Re: PROBLEM WITH TEAC AVR
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
Thank you, that is the intention. However, don't know how to best approach Abenson so that we can replace the unit. I hope others who was succesful in exchanging their units will share how they have done it.