Author Topic: Phantom of the Opera R3  (Read 6917 times)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Phantom of the Opera R3
« Reply #30 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 01:34 PM »
Is it worth 160 pesos then?

Offline rafgar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 01:36 PM »
Is it worth 160 pesos then?

Maybe, if you can find P160 (or even P150) sets with the 2nd disc.  :)

Offline art00

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 02:29 PM »
Got the following from dvdtalk.com.  Hope this works with the R3 release:

On disc 2 highlight "Additional scene: No one would listen" and press "Down", a swirl on the menu border will highlight, press "Enter" and you will be treated to a "Cast & Crew singalong" of the title song. Many of the crew (including director Joel Schumacher) aren't singers and composer Andrew Lloyd Webber gets the last laugh.

Thanks, rafgar, for the tip.  Will try it later... maybe tonight... and see if this works on the R3.

Although the movie fits in a single-layer DVD, some of the video quality was most probably sacrificed.  However, the video quality would still be a lot better than a VCD.

As I mentioned earlier, the transfer as viewed on my system looks great; at least IMHO.  I did not notice any compression artifacts or anything that you would expect seeing on a PDVD.  Also, the English Subtitles are up to par... no annoying mistakes in spelling and grammar.  Disc 1 contains just the movie in DD 5.1 plus the Theatrical Trailer.  I think there was no need to heavily compress (thus, compromise) the video because they did not include a DTS track and they put all the Special Features in Disc 2.

By the way, does it contain both English and French audio tracks?  I've been wondering if Gerard Butler and Emma Rossum were also the ones who sang in the French track.

Yes, Disc 1 does include both English and French (Francais) DD 5.1 tracks.  I have no idea if Butler and Rossum were the ones who sang in the French track as I did not try to listen to it.  And even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to determine one way or another.  Sorry, can't help you on that one, bro.

best regards,

art00
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2005 at 02:35 PM by art00 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 05:46 PM »
By Christmas or New Year, this might be on sale na rin for P299.  ;D

Offline Roby

• Apprentice
  • Llama I am!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
Dear Mr. Hankey,

I have been waiting for the R3 release of "Phantom of the Opera" for some time now.  I was elated when I saw a copy at an Astro store last weekend, but decided not to buy it first because it was not produced by Warner Home Video, but by C- Interative.  I was not so sure about the quality of the disk, although the packaging looked ok.  Now that I saw your warning, the more I am reluctant to buy it.  That is, of course, unless you had checked this dvd and can attest that the quality is ok.

I understand from Warner Video that the R1 copy in the States is from them, but the R3 copy is not, since Warners had only the rights to distribute the movie in the States.

By notice to other Pinoy DVD members, have any of you purchased this dvd and how do you rate it?

Offline art00

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 11:04 PM »
** Back just to confirm that the Easter Egg: Cast & Crew singalong is present in the R3 Disc 2 and its accessed exactly as rafgar instructed.

art00

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 09:39 AM »
Okay, sounds like this is worth considering IMHO.

If the output looks good on a 42", it's likely that C-Interactive produced the R3 from the R1 using a high quality encoder. Transcoding the original using a 1-click app like DVD Shrink would've resulted in lousy quality considering the length of the film and the presence of the English and French 5.1 tracks.

Disc 2 is hopefully an exact duplicate of the R1 version. A lot of bonus discs are still single-layer (DVD-5) unless they contain extended documentaries like Spielberg and Lucas releases. Can anyone who owns the original R1 confirm this?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005 at 11:57 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 10:36 AM »
Can anyone who owns the original R1 confirm this?

Yes, the R1 is.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005 at 10:36 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 06:32 PM »
Okay, sounds like this is worth considering IMHO.

If the output looks good on a 42", it's likely that C-Interactive produced the R3 from the R1 using a high quality encoder. Transcoding the original using a 1-click app like DVD Shrink would've resulted in lousy quality considering the length of the film and the presence of the English and French 5.1 tracks.

Disc 2 is hopefully an exact duplicate of the R1 version. A lot of bonus discs are still single-layer (DVD-5) unless they contain extended documentaries like Spielberg and Lucas releases. Can anyone who owns the original R1 confirm this?

This bodes well for the R3 release Blade: Trinity Unrated then. I saw a copy at Robinson's Ermita also for p425. It's also by C-Interactive. Sana nga, maganda na ang quality ng video & audio although mukhang hindi kagandahan ang cover.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 02:52 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Will probably wait for it to be included in the sale para di masyadon masakit sa bulsa.

Anyways, the price is already not bad considering na two disc na sya.

Well...everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Thanks.  ;)

Offline Roby

• Apprentice
  • Llama I am!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 11:08 AM »
Thanks, Mr. Hankey.  I found the discussions on the R3 version of "Phantom of the Opera" quite enlightening.  I will buy the R3 version based on the comments made.  If I don't like it for one reason or another, I will donate it as a raffle prize to the company christmas party this year, and then order the R1 version from DVD Empire or Amazon.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 07:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

akala ko kasama na sa sale to dun sa Podium, kasi nandun sa mga nakahiga na DVDs kasama ng mga nakasale na VCDS, unfortunately, hindi pala. 

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 02:10 PM »
hmmm.....sana next sale kasama na this title...havent watched it pa...so if the R3 release is comparable more or less and not butchered like other C Interactive releases.... will get this title  8)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 07:11 PM »
hmmm.....sana next sale kasama na this title...havent watched it pa...so if the R3 release is comparable more or less and not butchered like other C Interactive releases.... will get this title  8)

keilu, ayaw mo ung pinakita ko sayong phantom (korean) dati? packaging is very nice, and its dts track is superb  ;)

Offline Artemis

• Collector
  • "but perhaps, to love someone you can't have...
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
keilu, ayaw mo ung pinakita ko sayong phantom (korean) dati? packaging is very nice, and its dts track is superb  ;)

agree with RNIverson!  the R3 korean sp. ed. is superb! super sulit!!  ditched my R1 for this version... i loved the story, loved the music, loved the DVD from the packaging to the pq & sq down to the special features!  it's a real keeper!   8)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2005 at 08:18 PM by Artemis »
is a wound only death can heal..."   - Orpheus

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 07:32 AM »
hmmmm.....actually, saw 2 versions na of the phantom of the opera, the korean version and the one with the rose that hemi showed....both packaging are really very nice...but...... i'm not that much fan of the film kasi...besides....no more moolah  :-\  went on a mini vacation with friends a couple of weeks ago outside the country, and only souvenir i had were pix  ;D  had to limit myself from visiting the marketplace for now so i wont be tempted - hehehehehe

but then....malapit na 13th month pay...so i might still change my mind.... ;)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 02:39 PM »
I finally got  to watch this DVD last Saturday.  I have to say it's a gorgeous piece of film but nowhere near the theatrical production that I saw at the LA Music Center with Robert Guillaume as the Phantom back in 91.

The orchestration of the music on the film (DVD) is awesome.  The DVD audio does justice to this, certainly more detailed and fuller bodied than the west-end original with Sarah Brightman.

Unfortunately it failed to elicit the same goose bumps I had when I first watched the theatrical version.  I think that's the problem, the theater version was simply too great and engendered so much expectation from the film that it turned into a dissappointment when I watched this DVD. 

For sure Emily Russum is no Sarah Brightman in the looks department, though both have thin coloratura voices.  No matter from what angle, she may have a great voice, but her screen persona would not even quality her as an extra during the days of Ava Gardner in Hollywood.  It's a shame really, film is supposed to deliver something BIG on the screen that you won't get in theaters.  None of the major charactes did that.  The MUSIC of Phantom is the one that carried the film. It's just too magnificent that any competent orchestra and singer can give justice.  The film does just that.  It competently transcribed into film the story and the music that I heard and saw in the theater.  But it failed misearbly to deliver the same awe-inspiring involvement and fantastic surrealism of the original theatrical version.

What is worst, the unique and awe-inspriing visuals of Cameron McIntosh on the theatre just wasn't there in film.  Phantom created so many historical firsts in westend and broaddway musicals in terms of stunning visuals that matched the intensity of the music.  None of that in film.  The Masquerade Ball sequence in the theatre was an extravanganza of colors and flamboyant costumes that in the film was uninspriingly reduced to an emetic monochome of gold and yellows and down-to-earth costumes.  The journey of the phantom together with Christine under the opera house was a surreal tableau that was both frightening and entrancing that in the film lost all semblance of unearthliness with its very realistic visuals.  Adding a sword fight between the phantom and Raoul did nothing to enhance the characters nor establish any romantic credibility for the Phantom but actually diminished the aura of the phantom and reduced him to look like a swashbuckling Antontio Banderras as Zorro who pathetically almost got his comeuppance if not for the witless and timid "not like this" admonition from Christine.  What a line.   ::)

I think Schumacker, in attempting to impart the phantom with a sexy appeal, floundered in giving the phantom a mysterious air and doomed menace that the theatrical version had.  It somehow made the phantom less of....what else,  a phantom. 

Some of my colleauges went oohs and aahs on the film.  I asked them if they ever saw the theatrical version.  None of them did.  SO there.   I hope they get to see it someday. 

The theatrical version defined what a GREAT musical play is all about.  The film version defined what it's like to ape the play  with none of the greatness.   With so much promise dashed, I don't think the film version will ever sit on the same pedestal as the theatrical version.  Just my thoughts. 
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2005 at 01:58 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline dennislazo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2005 at 11:28 PM »
i also got excited when i saw phantom on DVD...

only to find out that it was released by c interactive.  it was a big disappointment.

added to that, and reading on the forum...the discs are even in single layer.

anyways,  since someone mentioned that c interactive distributed the LOTR R1 discs, then my question is, how come these R1 discs were confiscated?  don't think so...i am guessing that c interactive had to use some muscles so that their own crap can be sold in the market.

maybe we should have a thread that lists down all c interactive titles so that we can stay away from it.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2005 at 06:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Well my wife also said that the play was way better than the film although she still loved the movie.  I haven't watched the theater version also but I found the movie release quite enticing. 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the DVD when it was included in the last Podium sale.  Sayang it was priced at P299 lang. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2005 at 02:12 PM »
I think there are still copies at 299 at Video City. 

The film is gorgeous in many respects.  But it's the Andrew Lloyd Weber music that carried the film.  It's the one element in the film that makes it stand out.   In a way you're lucky you didn't see the original theatrical production, so you didn't have any expectation baggage when you watched the film.   ;D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2005 at 07:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the info av_phile1.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #51 on: Aug 12, 2006 at 09:47 PM »
I was first hesitant to buy
The R3 Phantom of the Opera DVD knowing that it was released by C- Interactive
but, I decided to buy it  because Astrovision in Ayala Cebu sold it for only P299

But to my surprise! even though it's just a DVD5 & not a Dual Layer DVD
The Picture quality is really very good.....it's Great actually ;D

I have a problem with the sound though
I think the voices are too soft. so I have to crank up the volume.
but when the orchestra comes thundering :o I have bring the volume down.

Pls. tell me what you think of the sound of this disc :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 11:53 AM »
For P299, the sound of this disc is just up there, excellent dynamics. With regards the dialogue I didn't notice it being faint.  But even so, you can just turn up the center channel volume.

So far C-interactive has given some surpises in this release, together with Sin City.    ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 12:15 AM »

I have a problem with the sound though
I think the voices are too soft. so I have to crank up the volume.
but when the orchestra comes thundering :o I have bring the volume down.

Pls. tell me what you think of the sound of this disc :)

Ayos na ayos ang sound sa akin.  I don't think anything's wrong with it.  Iyan talaga ang original design ng audio mix. 

It just so happens that the dynamic range of the soundtrack does not suit your personal preference, pero ok lang 'yon.  Kanya-kanya lang kasi 'yan.

Be that as it may, why not try listening to it as intended by its sound designers: adjust the volume until dialog levels are just right, then just listen to the whole thing without readjusting the volume.  You might still change your mind.   
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2006 at 12:18 AM by barrister »