Author Topic: Gearhead's midfi-ht setup  (Read 27401 times)

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: a gearhead's midfi-ht setup
« Reply #120 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 02:32 PM »
Anchor your screen to the wall using screws (as it was designed to be) and you wont experience those creases. Thats exactly the purpose of manual screen's tension pull, to remove the creases.

thanks matt. yes, i will have to try the permanent approach. admittedly, there's some slack with using strings which have to be tied in a knot too.  :D will just have to find a way to still accomodate the frame behind the screen w/o the need to remove them for HT.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
Re: Gearhead's midfi-ht setup
« Reply #121 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 11:54 PM »
i watched this the other night. hulaan nyo na lang anong movie.  :D

just so you'll have a better clue.  ;)

well, this movie is more of a babefest, so whether you find it funny or not,
at least you can say all the girls are hot and gorqeous. just beautiful.  :-*

let's have a closer look at them.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM »
but syempre pa... i most specially liked this girl, hanna verboom.  :-*

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 10:53 AM »
is that DEUCE BIGALOW?  ;D ;D ;D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 12:12 PM »
Etong si Gearhead ay mahilig talaga sa chicks. Kasi gumaganda sila sa big screen nya.  ;D

Yun ba ang gigolo film ni Deuce Bigalow?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 03:23 PM »
yup, mga fafi. deuce bigalow - european gigolo. had quite some few laughs from the movie even as it's panned by others. i guess u have to love the chiquito/dolphy/tvj kind of humor to appreciate the movie. watching it i can feel the pinoy filmmaking vibe from rob schneider. siguro marami rin napanood mga pinoy films ito - mga tipong sex comedy films of yesteryears.

it's really a different kind of experience watching these babes in their full big screen glory. i'm not just loving my humble ht setup... i'm loving them all. instant hanna verboom convert.  :-* just wondering why i haven't seen eddie griffin much nowadays. he's quite good in here!
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2007 at 01:11 AM by gearhead »

Offline dennyogi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Oct 15, 2007 at 11:49 AM »
amazing!

elib ako sa set up mo.
after viewing it, i decided to change my mind from buying
a 46 plasma to projector.
however, am quite new at this 'projector', kasi plug and play guy
ako e. so, if it does not interfere with your time that much, i'd like
to ask this questions... or at least, get some clarifications.

where will  i connect a ps3 / receiver / toshiba hddvd player with
the projector, and if so, how to? pasensya na sa gradeschool
question ko. looking forward to learn more from you. thanks.

dc

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Oct 15, 2007 at 12:25 PM »
hi dc.

i'm glad that you got inspiration from my humble HT setup.

just a sort of caveat though. since you're a plug and play guy, you might find the pj setup to be quite an involving process. connecting them all actually is sort of just a plug and play thing also, but you may want to make things a little more elegant so you will have to consider placement of your gears (e.g. avr, player/s, speakers, and the pj itself) but most especially cable management. you may want to make things a bit more professional looking coz for sure when u got ur setup already you may want to invite your friends over for a movie or two... but most especially concert dvd's  ;D.

i tell you, connecting your gears wouldn't be much of your problem. you may want to assess your needs and your place first if you really want to go the pj route. for one, you should have a means to control the ambient light in your viewing area. this is not to discourage you, just some word of caution for you not to drive headlong into it and find it's not your cup of tea later, esp. since you have the means pala to go for a 46" flat panel. read the front pj vs. flat panel threads here as much you can. once you decide to really go into it, you may find the rewards worth all the hassle though.

i wouldn't know if you would use a 90-108" screen for games on your ps3, and why you would want to do that. as with most pj owners here, you would still need to have a secondary monitor for those not so critical viewings to save on lamp cost/ lamp life... so you may want to use that instead. don't get more than 26" though, as in my opinion, larger would just compete in the pj's attention. also, you don't need top of the line brand/models for the same reasons. skyworth/sansui/changhong/syntax/akai/mag/chimei would be just fine. mine i have the samsung 22" pc monitor with an external tv tuner as my auxillary monitor.

those are just for starters, so if you have any more questions there are many of us here who can help you. sir/s alvin, matzter, docelmo, cocoboy and streetsmart are some names that comes to mind with regards pj's. now is really a good time to go front pj with the release of very affordable, high performing units on the market - benq w500 and panasonic ax-100/200 are some of the good ones.

good luck!  ;)

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #128 on: Oct 20, 2007 at 08:56 PM »
wow! dami na palang pinagbago sir gearhead! ngayon nalang uli ako nakabisita... congrats sir! more power!

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 03:16 AM »
hi dc.

i'm glad that you got inspiration from my humble HT setup.

just a sort of caveat though. since you're a plug and play guy, you might find the pj setup to be quite an involving process. connecting them all actually is sort of just a plug and play thing also, but you may want to make things a little more elegant so you will have to consider placement of your gears (e.g. avr, player/s, speakers, and the pj itself) but most especially cable management. you may want to make things a bit more professional looking coz for sure when u got ur setup already you may want to invite your friends over for a movie or two... but most especially concert dvd's  ;D.

i tell you, connecting your gears wouldn't be much of your problem. you may want to assess your needs and your place first if you really want to go the pj route. for one, you should have a means to control the ambient light in your viewing area. this is not to discourage you, just some word of caution for you not to drive headlong into it and find it's not your cup of tea later, esp. since you have the means pala to go for a 46" flat panel. read the front pj vs. flat panel threads here as much you can. once you decide to really go into it, you may find the rewards worth all the hassle though.

i wouldn't know if you would use a 90-108" screen for games on your ps3, and why you would want to do that. as with most pj owners here, you would still need to have a secondary monitor for those not so critical viewings to save on lamp cost/ lamp life... so you may want to use that instead. don't get more than 26" though, as in my opinion, larger would just compete in the pj's attention. also, you don't need top of the line brand/models for the same reasons. skyworth/sansui/changhong/syntax/akai/mag/chimei would be just fine. mine i have the samsung 22" pc monitor with an external tv tuner as my auxillary monitor.

those are just for starters, so if you have any more questions there are many of us here who can help you. sir/s alvin, matzter, docelmo, cocoboy and streetsmart are some names that comes to mind with regards pj's. now is really a good time to go front pj with the release of very affordable, high performing units on the market - benq w500 and panasonic ax-100/200 are some of the good ones.

good luck!  ;)

setting up a pj is a bit tuff..i actually decided to go with an LCD because of the cable issues...but to truth to tell,nothing will ever beat the feeling of watching on a PJ!!!

really cool setup gearhead!!!
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:04 PM »
thanks, chuck and ronjet for the nice words. i still haven't had much time lately
to enjoy my setup since it's due again for some minor tweaks mostly due to the
arrival of a few additional equipment.

i've just added my secondary monitor, a samsung 2232GW, coupled with an
external tuner and speakers as well. the tuner is the itemstech itv-901 and
the speakers are the altec lansing 221. i opted for the samsung pc monitor
coz well, it's a samsung. also, it has the glossy screen of which i'm partial to
and the form factor reminds one of their bordeaux series.

i also have a labtec lcs-2422 i use as pc speakers, as seen on the lower right.
but since the satellites are white, i feel it won't match the aesthetics of the
whole ensemble... so i got a previously owned 221. so far, the combo has
proved very capable naman. i have subscribed to global destiny and now
enjoys clear signal reception. the technics SL-Q3 above has a busted capacitor
and is due for replacement soon. as they say: "watch this space".  ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 01:50 PM »
Ang cute naman ng butter cookies stand mo. Temporary naman sigurado yun.  ;D

Mukha bibili ka ng bagong stand.  :)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 03:41 PM »
haha. actually, sir i have one already. it's just a modular mdf rack though... the height of which is equal to my current stand plus the wood block and the butter cookies canister. i just used them temporarily to verify whether the height change will affect the balance of the speakers. with the previous height kasi i feel it's perfect already. so far, okay pa rin naman pala.

(received your invite too, sir... just that with the current state of my listening area i still don't have the free time as yet. add to that i/we attended two birthday parties last weekend. there's still another baptismal i didn't have the time to go to anymore).  :( 

Offline rodel5

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 05:44 PM »
ganda set-up mo sir.and magaganda insight and mga paliwanag mo sa mga ibat ibang thread na nagpopost ka.

ask ko lang kc wishlist ko this christmas is to buy either 9.6 or 9.5,i ask this to you kc alam ko you have both.
sir alin ba mas maganda sa audio set-up ung 9.5 or 9.6.hindi ba masyadong bright and irritating sa ear ung 9.6 kc may dedicated midrange?tia

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 06:35 PM »
i would recommend the diamond 9.6 to you without hesitation. if you partner it with a really good powerful amp you may not even need a subwoofer. but if you'll be using it for movies, the sub is de rigeur with the trade. at least you can set it to Large all the time so the sub handles the LFE only. for movies i definitely would recommend that you partner it with the diamond 9.CM. the 9.cs is fine but the 9.cm is a much better complement for the 9.6. for surround, you can pick from the range beginning with the 9.dfs, 9.1 or 9.2. i'm using the 9.dfs and it do integrates well with either speakers. you must have a corner though to supplement the direct sound from these bipolar speakers.

i only decided to stick with the 9.5 coz the 9.6 is already encroaching on the screen height. again, i will reiterate if you go with the 9.6 it is imperative you gave it the power to sing. marantz 6001, hk 347, onkyo sr-605 are some of the barest minimum i guess which will push the speaker without breaking your wallet too much.

hope that helps and thanks for the compliment. good luck!  :)

Offline rodel5

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 06:48 PM »
thanks sir,i'll go for the 9.6 period.next problem na lang is budget.hehehe.regards sir and thanks

P.S. sir.if ever you will sell any of your diamond series pm me.tnx,baka lang.hehehe
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM by rodel5 »

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:47 PM »
i would recommend the diamond 9.6 to you without hesitation. if you partner it with a really good powerful amp you may not even need a subwoofer. but if you'll be using it for movies, the sub is de rigeur with the trade. at least you can set it to Large all the time so the sub handles the LFE only. for movies i definitely would recommend that you partner it with the diamond 9.CM. the 9.cs is fine but the 9.cm is a much better complement for the 9.6. for surround, you can pick from the range beginning with the 9.dfs, 9.1 or 9.2. i'm using the 9.dfs and it do integrates well with either speakers. you must have a corner though to supplement the direct sound from these bipolar speakers.

i only decided to stick with the 9.5 coz the 9.6 is already encroaching on the screen height. again, i will reiterate if you go with the 9.6 it is imperative you gave it the power to sing. marantz 6001, hk 347, onkyo sr-605 are some of the barest minimum i guess which will push the speaker without breaking your wallet too much.

hope that helps and thanks for the compliment. good luck!  :)

I'm sure maraming maiinganyong mag Diamond nito lalu ;) Galing na kay gearhead ang recommendation eh :)
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
ganda set-up mo sir.and magaganda insight and mga paliwanag mo sa mga ibat ibang thread na nagpopost ka.

thanks pala for the nice words.  8)  i'll be posting my (almost) finished setup in the coming days.

hindi ba masyadong bright and irritating sa ear ung 9.6 kc may dedicated midrange? tia

add ko lang. in general, di naman siya bright. in fact, the first thing you'll love about this speaker is its midrange. the brightness will depend to a large extent on your chosen amp. underpowered, it really would sound like that. give it the juice and ...  :o  :o  ;D

the time that i got them from the previous owner, i wasn't impressed. ang nipis ng tunog. i just took the gamble to see how it would fare with my h/k avr. the first time i hooked it up, it was a big improvement but still not that impressive. it's only after some long listening session that it began to open up. before the break-in... my 9.5 even had deeper and more taut bass. you should hear it after breaking-in though. you'd have a good approximation of how a dual (stereo) sub configuration sounds.  ;D

I'm sure maraming maiinganyong mag Diamond nito lalu ;) Galing na kay gearhead ang recommendation eh :)

ty, bosing. ang sa amin naman are insights to help guide the newbies from whence they can take off in their choice and research. bottomline kasi, "let your ears decide"... but we try and minimize their time and expense in this very involving hobby even before you part away with your hard-earned dough.

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 01:51 PM »

ty, bosing. ang sa amin naman are insights to help guide the newbies from whence they can take off in their choice and research. bottomline kasi, "let your ears decide"... but we try and minimize their time and expense in this very involving hobby even before you part away with your hard-earned dough.

Well said Sir Gearhead! ;D A very helpful tips makes someone like me life more easier doing research and going to AV store for audition. Pre-occupied na talaga! I'm not looking for the best gear, what I want is bang for the buck gears na recommended ng someone like yourself and other GURU's here in PDVD. I am very thankfull, ang dami kong natutunan sa inyo ;) ;) ;)
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 10:55 PM »
i'll be posting my (almost) finished setup in the coming days.

Palagay ko, sa susunod na picture mo, mawawala na butter cookies lata.  ;D ;D

Ubos na cookies.  ;D

Cheers!

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
Palagay ko, sa susunod na picture mo, mawawala na butter cookies lata.  ;D ;D

Ubos na cookies.  ;D

Cheers!

Butter cookies as "stand"?
Kasama yan sa tip :D
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 02:13 PM »
sori, ubos na po ang cookies.   ;D 

no choice but to look for a better alternative.  :)

still have plenty to do by way of cable management.  :-[

new additions include:

• Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD monitor
  • Items ITV-901 external TV tuner
  • Bada LB3300 line conditioner (black)
  • Altec Lansing 220 2.1 multimedia speaker for the TV
  • Emerson Liebert PS 600VA UPS for the projector
  • San-Yang SY-104 3-tier rack for center speaker
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2007 at 02:15 PM by gearhead »

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 04:08 PM »
sori, ubos na po ang cookies.   ;D 

no choice but to look for a better alternative.  :)

still have plenty to do by way of cable management.  :-[

new additions include:

• Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD monitor
  • Items ITV-901 external TV tuner
  • Bada LB3300 line conditioner (black)
  • Altec Lansing 220 2.1 multimedia speaker for the TV
  • Emerson Liebert PS 600VA UPS for the projector
  • San-Yang SY-104 3-tier rack for center speaker

Galing talaga Gearhead, speaker sandwich naman ngayon :D
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 06:08 PM »
Galing talaga Gearhead, speaker sandwich naman ngayon :D

Hehe.  ;D

Champion talaga si gearhead sa creativity. Ingenious sandwich.  ;D

Cute na naman! Galing!

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 11:49 PM »
Hehe.  ;D

Champion talaga si gearhead sa creativity. Ingenious sandwich.  ;D

Cute na naman! Galing!

thanks po, mga sir. sabi nga, necessity is the mother of invention. i really need to plan everything coz of space constraints... aside of course from the lack of funds.  ;D i couldn't have a separate setup for music and ht for the same reasons. so here i am just trying to make the most of everything.

be that as it may, given that this is still just a mid-level setup... i'm still surprised about the total amount i have parlayed just for this hobby. when i was starting, P100k seems to me as splurging too much already. three years later, i have about spent several times over that initial estimate.  :'(  if i have a wife and there's divorce here in the philippines, i would've been single more than twice over because of this.  ;D

still, i dream of the day i could have my dream ht as with your very avant-garde setup!  :P
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2007 at 03:59 AM by gearhead »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 12:35 AM »
hmmm... maybe it's time to do an inventory of my current equipment.
these are mostly off the shelf items though. nothing really fancy:

Main equipment:
  • Harman-Kardon AVR5550 85Wx2/ 70Wx7 A/V Receiver
    (currently with Beyond Innovations for the long overdue
    battery replacement, so it's plenty Lonely Nights ahead).  :'(
  • Panasonic PT-AE900 720p 3-LCD Projector
  • Philips 29PT9420/69R 29" Pixel Plus CRT Monitor
  • Philips DVP5500S/69 Progressive Scan Universal player
  • Pioneer DV-600AV-S 1080p HDMI Universal Player
  • Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD Monitor, 1680x1050
  • Sabre 90" Manual Glass-Beaded Projection Screen
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Full Tower Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 2.5-Way Floorstanding Speaker
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS Center Speaker
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS Bi-Polar Surround Speakers
  • Velodyne CHT-10 150W Servo Controlled Subwoofer
  • Technics SL-Q3 Automatic D.D. Turntable
    (but soon to be replaced by Audio Technica AT-PL120)
  • Sony CDP-311 CD Player, 120V  :(
  • Altec Lansing 221 2.1 Multimedia Speakers
  • Itemstech ITV-901 External TV Tuner

Accessories:
  • Bada LB3300 3000W Line Conditioner
  • Emerson Liebert PS-600VA UPS, for PJ protection
  • Sabre Totem Modular A/V Rack, 2 units
  • Perfect View 14" TV Mount, used as PJ mount instead
  • SanYang SY104 3-Tier Rack, for center speaker
  • Pro Signal 10m/32.8ft (Coaxial-Type) HDMI Cable
  • AudioPro 1.8m Optical Cable
  • AudioPro 1.8m RGB Component Cable
  • Ace AWG#14/AWG#16 Speaker Wires
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2007 at 12:49 AM by gearhead »

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 02:37 AM »
hmmm... maybe it's time to do an inventory of my current equipment.
these are mostly off the shelf items though. nothing really fancy:

Main equipment:
  • Harman-Kardon AVR5550 85Wx2/ 70Wx7 A/V Receiver
    (currently with Beyond Innovations for the long overdue
    battery replacement, so it's plenty Lonely Nights ahead).  :'(
  • Panasonic PT-AE900 720p 3-LCD Projector
  • Philips 29PT9420/69R 29" Pixel Plus CRT Monitor
  • Philips DVP5500S/69 Progressive Scan Universal player
  • Pioneer DV-600AV-S 1080p HDMI Universal Player
  • Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD Monitor, 1680x1050
  • Sabre 90" Manual Glass-Beaded Projection Screen
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Full Tower Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 2.5-Way Floorstanding Speaker
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS Center Speaker
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS Bi-Polar Surround Speakers
  • Velodyne CHT-10 150W Servo Controlled Subwoofer
  • Technics SL-Q3 Automatic D.D. Turntable
    (but soon to be replaced by Audio Technica AT-PL120)
  • Sony CDP-311 CD Player, 120V  :(
  • Altec Lansing 221 2.1 Multimedia Speakers
  • Itemstech ITV-901 External TV Tuner

Accessories:
  • Bada LB3300 3000W Line Conditioner
  • Emerson Liebert PS-600VA UPS, for PJ protection
  • Sabre Totem Modular A/V Rack, 2 units
  • Perfect View 14" TV Mount, used as PJ mount instead
  • SanYang SY104 3-Tier Rack, for center speaker
  • Pro Signal 10m/32.8ft (Coaxial-Type) HDMI Cable
  • AudioPro 1.8m Optical Cable
  • AudioPro 1.8m RGB Component Cable
  • Ace AWG#14/AWG#16 Speaker Wires

Sabi na nga ba, tip ng iceberg lang ang nakita ko eh ;D
Grabe gears nito, kakalula :o
Ako kahit radio phono wala! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 07:48 PM by trackers888 »
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #147 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 03:28 AM »
Nice solid list Gearhead!  Galing.  ;)

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 10:32 AM »
Happy New Year Kapatid!

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 11:49 AM »
Happy New Year Kapatid!

happy new year, dan. ako pa rin po ito, gearhead, though di ko na ma-access previous account ko so balik sa pagiging newbie. talagang newbie pa rin since matagal-tagal din ako di napadalaw dito sa pdvd. i was engrossed with my other gear... a dslr, for quite some time last year. i will try to keep a balance naman this year between these two interests.

a happy 2009 to everyone!!!
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS