Author Topic: Problem with my computer,pls help.  (Read 5135 times)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Problem with my computer,pls help.
« on: Oct 05, 2005 at 07:59 AM »
       Hi guys,kindly help me figure out what to do with my computer. The first few weeks ive been using it,every time i inserted a MEMORY STICK, a CD and a DVD, there's always a prompt window that appears and asks what i would want to do with the specific media,but lately i have noticed that the prompt does not show anymore so what i do is click  MY COMPUTER then click on the media i want to open.Its bothersome doing that unlike before when there's a prompt question.

How can i bring that prompt window back? I have tried to go to PROPERTIES then to AUTOPLAY folder and clicked to PROMPT ME EVERYTIME TO CHOOSE AN ACTION but still it does not appear. pls help guys,i dont know that much about computers  :-[ :-[ :-[ thanks and have a nice day.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
Re: Problem with my computer,pls help.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 04:19 PM »
bump ???

Offline vp_ortiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:23 PM »
maybe your pc had a problem with its autoplay function. i think it involves the group policy editor, just look for an application that can repair the autoplay function of your pc. i think the program is "autoplay autofix", just search it up.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2005 at 07:40 AM »
Got the same problem once, a colleague advised me to DEFRAG it, CLEAN it by running antivirus and antispy softwares and somehow those prompts returned back.  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2005 at 08:06 AM »
maybe your pc had a problem with its autoplay function. i think it involves the group policy editor, just look for an application that can repair the autoplay function of your pc. i think the program is "autoplay autofix", just search it up.

Thanks vp,ill check it out ;D

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2005 at 08:10 AM »
Got the same problem once, a colleague advised me to DEFRAG it, CLEAN it by running antivirus and antispy softwares and somehow those prompts returned back.  ;)

Done these things bro but to no avail  :( ,even tried uninstalling all the softwares i installed before the problem was noticed. thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2005 at 10:08 PM »
Try to reinstall your os. You can do this even without reformatting. Select Repair.
More titles coming soon...

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 03:06 AM »
Blu ray i got my laptop already with pre installed OS,it didnt come with the installer disc but the serial number is registered and regularly updated thru the net.How can i Install it again?,this came from the states kasi kaya ready to use na when i got it.

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 04:11 PM »
Well, that's another problem I think. In case you encountered virus attack, os damage or even hardisk failure, you cannot reformat and reinstall your os because you have no installer disk. You can reach your vendor and ask assistance if it still covered with warranty.

Im encouraging you to back-up your hardisk by using Nero with any dvd recordable disk. In this way, you don't have any worry. This is what I'm doing, and its pretty good because it restores my system as it was.
More titles coming soon...

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 08:05 PM »
hello ricky, alam kong nagawa mo na yung option na "prompt me each time to choose action" pero try this one, :

1. open My computer
2. right click CD/DVD drive or your memory reader (that appears as removable drive) then chose Properties
3. on Autoplay tab choose any option then on the bottom part, click restore defaults

or if this doesn't work,

repeat above steps 1 & 2
3. on Autoplay tab, choose the program that you want to use on that drive and DON'T just highlight it and press OK.  double click it to force it to run that program on that drive. 

see how it goes.  it's not a virus thing, confirm first by updating your virus definition then run a scan.

shalom :)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 12:40 AM »
Well, that's another problem I think. In case you encountered virus attack, os damage or even hardisk failure, you cannot reformat and reinstall your os because you have no installer disk. You can reach your vendor and ask assistance if it still covered with warranty.

Im encouraging you to back-up your hardisk by using Nero with any dvd recordable disk. In this way, you don't have any worry. This is what I'm doing, and its pretty good because it restores my system as it was.

Yes blu ray i plan to back it up but the trouble is namimili ng dvd  yung recorder,i bought already 2pcs but it was not recognized by the unit he he he,so i have to try other brands of disk pa,so far no time to go around to buy other brands.Thank you very much blu ray for the time and help you've given me.Ill update you on the progress.thanks again.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 12:53 AM »
Yrneh ,i tried both of your suggestions and still no luck. :-[ I think best way is to restore to original setting na lang but i have to save first all pictures and documents after buying cdrw.thanks also for your help bro,highly appreciated.

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 07:34 AM »
Yrneh ,i tried both of your suggestions and still no luck. :-[ I think best way is to restore to original setting na lang but i have to save first all pictures and documents after buying cdrw.thanks also for your help bro,highly appreciated.
hi ricky. if the problem has happened recently and you know the date when you last saw the autoplay prompt AND you know the date,  try booting it on safe mode then after it boots, when prompted choose the option to restore windows settings on a specific date where the last change of settings happened.  back up your data first bro.

shalom :)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 12:53 PM »
Thanks again bro,ill do it when i get back from davao,i left the laptop at home for wife's use.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 05:05 AM »
       Hi guys,kindly help me figure out what to do with my computer. The first few weeks ive been using it,every time i inserted a MEMORY STICK, a CD and a DVD, there's always a prompt window that appears and asks what i would want to do with the specific media,but lately i have noticed that the prompt does not show anymore so what i do is click  MY COMPUTER then click on the media i want to open.Its bothersome doing that unlike before when there's a prompt question.

How can i bring that prompt window back? I have tried to go to PROPERTIES then to AUTOPLAY folder and clicked to PROMPT ME EVERYTIME TO CHOOSE AN ACTION but still it does not appear. pls help guys,i dont know that much about computers  :-[ :-[ :-[ thanks and have a nice day.

I know that problem always used to get that.  I know of a fix that works 100% pag CD/DVD drive autoplay, not sure about the memory stick though.

open the run command and type regedit
navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
double click on the Autorun Dword and set to 1

Close Regedit and Reboot.  That should enable autoplay again.  Ive done successfully everytime I lose the autorun window.  This happens somtimes when you install some software that accesses the CD/Drive could be a DVD ripper, or burner software, another DVD player etc. 

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 12:06 PM »
Thanks very much sir jpadua,ill try to keep this suggestion of yours but for now ok na yung autoplay functions ng lahat(cd-dvd-MS) ;D since i was so desperate to fix the problem,i decided to just restore from the beginning without saving the files first(a lot of them photos)sorry and thanks to YrNeh, and alas autoplay is functioning again and all my photos still intact(lucky me) ;D ;D ;D Thank you Guys again

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
uh, i hope i don't sound too idiotic asking this... but doesn't tweakUI for windowsXP also  have controls for the autoplay function? (it does on 98 kasi... )  :-\

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2005 at 10:27 PM »
uh, i hope i don't sound too idiotic asking this... but doesn't tweakUI for windowsXP also  have controls for the autoplay function? (it does on 98 kasi... )  :-\

space, i dont really know much about computers kaya i asked for help  ;D logging to pinoydvd lang ang alam ko  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2005 at 10:31 PM »
space, i dont really know much about computers kaya i asked for help  ;D logging to pinoydvd lang ang alam ko  ;D ;D ;D

You can download TweakUI from microsoft.com. Very, very useful ;)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2005 at 10:47 PM »
ok i will, thanks again. :D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2005 at 11:11 PM »

LOL... i'm hardly an expert too... self-taught lang.  :P

bit of a noob when it comes to windowsXP so i wasn't sure if tweakUI for XP controls the autoplay function
(my favorite function has to be it's ability to get rid of those "shortcut" arrows.... my pet peeve! LOL.)

in any case, there's no harm in getting it anyway. as bumblebee already said... very useful (i think ur XP needs to be installed with SP1 one tho.)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 08:45 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 08:54 PM »
There are a lot of things we did not initially noticed or have been changed due to some program installations or  worm/trojan effect , changes and attacks usually done at windows registry. Especially those pesky trojans  (sometimes as java scripts) lalo na if you've been to restricted sites lol  ;D . Tweaking the registry could be a little annoying sometimes. However there are a lot of tweaking software available at net that readily configured to turn some annoying windows codes at breeze. Am using TweakNowPowerPack software and TweakXp if I encountered something not  right on my PC's basic functions.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 11:30 PM »
There are a lot of things we did not initially noticed or have been changed due to some program installations or  worm/trojan effect , changes and attacks usually done at windows registry. Especially those pesky trojans  (sometimes as java scripts) lalo na if you've been to restricted sites lol  ;D . Tweaking the registry could be a little annoying sometimes. However there are a lot of tweaking software available at net that readily configured to turn some annoying windows codes at breeze. Am using TweakNowPowerPack software and TweakXp if I encountered something not  right on my PC's basic functions.

LOL yung office computer lang use ko to go to restricted sites ;D

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
there is a nice proggy, a freeware, "registry robot" you can do many things with this.

you can find it here:http://www.garybeene.com/free/fr-pcmag.htm
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom