Author Topic: T-amp Discussion Thread  (Read 293197 times)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: Class D/Sonic Impact Tweaks
« Reply #120 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 01:20 AM »
mga sir,

sorry medyo OT to kasi ps ang question ko. but i will be using this for a t-amp.

i have an old cannon brand converter/charger with 6v/12v dc output selection. i checked the voltage when switched to 6v = 6.5 but when switched to 12v, the actual output (using a digital voltmeter) reads 15vdc. nakakatakot tong converter na to kasi ang taas na ng output. this converter is 6 amprere, medyo malaki ang box/casing nito.

i plan to modify it by installing a proper 12v regulator. is there a regulator kit (specifically for a 6 ampere rig) for sale in the electronic shop? i do diy sometimes but i'm afraid to mess things up and fry anything hooked up to it, that is why i prefer to buy the assembled regulator and just plug and play.

please shed me some light where to acquire this regulator kit.

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2006 at 01:24 AM by GneW »

Offline D0Hbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 08:25 AM »
Actually sir, with around 16v output, I'm assuming ang AC output ng trafo sa secondary is 12vAC, for a cheap and quick fix, buy a big 16,000uf-20,000uf 35v cap, attach this after the rectifier diodes, ingatan lang ang polarity. After the big filter cap, attach a nice voltage regulator, use lm338 or lt1084, any of those 2 will be nice, positive line from the big filter cap to the (in) leg of the regulator, then from (out) to (adj) one 100ohm 1/4w 1% metallized resistor, from (adj) to ground one 860ohm or 850 ohm 1% 1/4w metallized resistor, after the regulator, place one small 2200uf cap. Output should be a well regulated 12v  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #122 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 09:28 AM »
Some of these regs needs a Vin-Vout=3V minimum to maintain line regulation, once your 15V input sags under load you'll loose regulation and output won't be a well regulated 12V.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 08:58 AM »

How about using this as a casing? OT it might also work for an lm1875 chipamp :)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Please help! My amp suddenly stopped working. While handling, I noticed something is shaking inside. So I decided to open it. Only to find out that the Tripath chip was loose.

Help me bring it back in order.

Thanks!
There's something to learn everyday

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:41 PM »
How did that happen, if you're talking about the sonic impact t-amp, that thing is surface mounted, with around 40 or so legs soldered to the board, it won't just get detached easily. You can take the amp to me, let me take a look at it. PM me.

Offline TonyC

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 02:32 PM »
Am not sure if this tweak from TNT has been posted:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/feedback/february06.html

Just sharing...thanks! :)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #127 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 03:22 PM »
yes sir tonyc! etong gusto ko! ASTIG na sonic impact Tgasin-amp! sino kaya ang makakapag-mod ng ganito dito? ::) ;D

excerpts from tnt-audio: 
T-Amp mods
Ciao Lucio,
here are my T-Amp modifications.

* Metal cabinet: front and back silver-metallic, rest is a kind of "hammered" look
    * 12V / 3A power supply pack with toroidal transformer
    * gold plated female cinch connectors
    * gold plated speaker terminals
    * cable connection incl. on/off switch
    * high quality Alps potentiometer (from the blue series, RK27112)
    * LED on front fascia

Normally a non-tweaked T-Amp has a weakness in the bass range below 100Hz. This T-Amp is modified for this and has an absolutly straight frequency response from 16 Hz - 26 KHz within ± 0,5 dB.
Total cost for materials: approx. 150 Euro (toroidal transformer, cabinet, connectors and binding posts, ALPS volume Pot, capacitors).

Offline TonyC

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 04:00 PM »
Hi Oweidah!

Had my t-amp reboxed by a technician, using said gold speaker/rca posts but retaining the original volume pot. Also was able to buy from Deeco a 12v/12a power supply.  Another tweak i made that i thought didn't matter was to replace the stock power cord of the PS and T-amp with the TNT designed one.  This latest tweak really brought out the bass to another level. 

Hanep the details this amp can dig out, can hear the noise of the amperex tape reeling in the background on a guitar solo CD (forgot the title) and even the cough of somebody in the background on the music "Vincent" (Best Audiophile 3)...very revealing.

Hope the others are enjoying the amp as well...cheers ;)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 05:52 PM »
hi tonyc,
here's my stock t-amp re-cased by sir "handyman" with rca plugs/binding posts @ the back panel with a.r. tds202 sound enhancer (atop). stock pa lang, no internal mods. balak ko sana later (budget permits) acquire another sonic impact and do some mods (sana nga yung gaya sa tnt-audio picture posted above kung meron kaya gumawa). but as is the s.i./tds combo sings!!! or maybe the charlize  ;D gamit ko zebra regulated power supply 13.8v/6amps.
[/img]
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006 at 06:01 PM by oweidah »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 08:52 PM »
Ot: just got a tripath based jvc receiver. paired with easy to drive speakers/ stable 8 ohm speakers...they really sing ;)
---------------------

opened up my jvc receiver and its not tripath based...but it does use a class d topology and uses jvc chips.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 08:20 AM by john5479 »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 11:34 PM »
congrats sir john5479! :)

heres an article by our "resident surplus guru" the venerable sandawa : http://news.yehey.com/news3.asp?c=13&i=137030

Friday - March 10, 2006
Hi-fi technology turns to smaller, cheaper chip-based operation
1/3/2006 8:01:00 AM
Source : Business World
DAVAO CITY -- Within five years, the high-fidelity audio industry would be shifting to smaller, lighter, and inexpensive electronics, specifically in the case of stereo and multi-channel amplifiers.

Electronic chips developed in recent years that are capable of producing audiophile-grade sound would eventually put aside high-priced amplifiers into vintage category.

This breakthrough has taken root among electronic do-it-yourself enthusiasts and, in a couple of years, would likely be applied in consumer electronics produced locally.

Since early last year, audiophiles have tested and modified their sonic impact tripath amplifiers, the first commercially available audiophile-grade chip-based hi-fi gear brought in mostly through online sources.

The first generation sonic impact T-amp is small, weighs just a few grams without the batteries, with cheap plastic casing and sold for as low as $20 from e-cost, a United States online retail site.

My two units, which arrived in Davao sometime in April, were bought through Amazon.com and cost an average of P2,500 apiece including forwarding charges.

A good number of Manila-based audio enthusiasts, however, got their units earlier, with the majority applying modifications such as changing the capacitors, improving the connectors, and installing a new potentiometer, or volume control knob in layman’s terms.

Many went for better-looking amplifier housing -- handsomely sculpted wood or transparent glass -- which do not result in sonic improvement but certainly attracts both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.

The sonic impact T-amp is rated at an average output of eight watts per channel at eight ohms, or 15 watts per channel at four ohms, an output at par with many tube amplifiers.

That rating is adequate for normal use and could even meet the demands of dynamic chamber music at loud volume in a typical room of, say, 20 square meters, provided efficient speakers are used.

Efficient reproducers mean those rated at 90 decibels at one meter listening distance and at one-watt amplifier output.

Since the amplifier’s usual electronic components are shrunk into a small chip -- the Tripath TA2024 -- less than one square inch in size, heat sinks are no longer needed.

Efficiency also improves with the signal travelling a shorter path compared with traditional amplifiers. With low output and a new amplifier topology, power is optimized translated to lower consumption without sacrificing sonic quality.

The T-amp needs a separate power supply, though, since it was originally aimed at the mobile audio market.

It operates using eight penlight batteries, which could last several hours of continuous playing depending on preferred loudness level.

Without the batteries, it needs a regulated 12-volt power supply converter to be plugged into the standard 240-volt power line.

The converter rating should preferably be at three amperes to maximize the amplifier’s rated output.

Such preference is derived using the general formula of voltage multiplied by amperage is equal to output in watts, in this case 36 watts or slightly over the 30 watts total maximum output of the unit.

Initially, local audiophiles claimed it is best to hook the T-amp to a 12-volt lead acid battery to perform best, but in my experience, using a 12-volt regulated converter does not result in sonic degradation.

This is confirmed by latest observation among foreign audiophiles as per posts in audio discussion fora. Since I have two units, one has a regulated 12-volt supply and the other a 13.6-volt converter, which some listeners in the US said results in better low frequency response.

On the first day I received my two T-amps, I tested one unit against a 30-kilogram (240 watts per channel at 4 ohms) Sansui AU-XII amplifier, originally priced at ¥275,000 in 1983.

I arranged them to appear as if I was comparing the Sansui with another amplifier, an Accuphase E-302 (180 watts per channel at four ohms) using similar sounding speakers: ElectroVoice Interface A and Denon SC-104.

My two children who came in from school had common observation: there was no difference at all when the volume of the two units were at room level.

Increasing the volume several notches higher, the children said the Sansui was slightly better sounding, not knowing it was actually a small 15-watt T-class amplifier not the Accuphase, which was compared side by side with the Sansui.

My wife who came in later said even at high volume, the sound quality from the two amplifiers was the same. Later, they were surprised to find the one pitted against the Sansui was a small amplifier that looks more like a child’s toy.

In the succeeding days, friends who would visit me were also amazed by the T-amp’s performance considering they were used to hearing only monster amplifiers.

In my opinion, the sonic impact T-amp’s sound is significantly superior compared with entry- to mid-level amplifiers, whether new production or vintage types.

Its sonic character could be described as in between the solid state’s fast, clinical response and the tube’s sweet and gradual sonic decay.

While it puts out clean and pleasing sound, the drawback is in reproducing the dynamics required by some classical and show-off pieces at loud volume.

A listener into rock, jazz or the usual popular music categories would be happy with this amplifier, especially when hooked to mega-loud performers from Klipsch, Altec Lansing, JBL, ElectroVoice, or Cerwin Vega.

By this year, higher-powered amplifiers using newer Tripath chips would likely achieve what the monster vintage amplifiers -- those with continuous outputs of at least 200 watts per channel -- could do.

The Tripath chip’s ascent as an audiophile-grade amplifier component started last year when a San Diego, California-firm sonic impact technologies marketed its Tripath-driven amplifiers aimed at the mp3 player market, specifically users of Apple iPods.

Some early buyers accidentally hooked their small plastic toys to larger speakers and the rest is sheer serendipity.

Last January, TNT Audio , Europe’s leading audiophile Website, reviewed sonic impact T-amp and found its performance comparable with solid state and tube-based amplifiers costing thousands of dollars. That review resulted in a sudden demand surge causing a temporary supply shortage.

Hundreds of local audio enthusiasts were among the first wave of T-amp buyers early last year with some enterprising groups accepting advanced orders in Manila at P3,500 per unit.

A few realized they could buy cheaper and went straight to online distributors.

That costs less than P2,500 per unit, coursed through a local forwarder, with delivery time from one to two weeks.

Acquiring the original sonic impact T-amp at less than $30 nowadays, however, could be difficult after the company introduced recently a revised version of the original amplifier now priced at $139 P7,367 at $1:P53) per unit.

Except for a better-looking case and improved connectors, all other specifications of the new model are the same as the old unit.

Dr. Adya Tripathi, the Indo-American engineer behind the Tripath chips noted as far back as 2003 that chip-based amplifier technology would dominate the consumer electronics subsector before the end of this decade.

Mr. Tripathi’s company, Tripath Technologies, Inc. based in San Jose, California, started operating in the mid-1990s.

The latest feedback indicates the price of Tripath chips has fallen from over $10 (P530) each for a low-powered amp a couple of years back, to less than $5 (P265) each now for high-powered amps.

The latest of the company’s amplifier chips puts out 400 watts output and designed primarily for subwoofer application.
by: HERNANI P. de LEON
Mindanao Bureau Chief

Business World Internet Edition
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006 at 11:45 PM by oweidah »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
sonic impact t-amp user reviews
« Reply #132 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
just sharing info...napadaan sm megamall and saw sonic impact t-amp available sa DAIICHI showroom 5th floor tel # 635-3111 ....price=2k  ;D 

*** good news! as per matzter- AUDIOWORLD, also sells sonic impact t-amp :)
Audio World Tech. located at 749 Banawe cor. Sct. Alcaraz, in between Retiro and Delmonte ave.
Tel.7327716 and 7426843

* sirs, pa-post na rin user reviews para malaman natin kung this product is just hype or is this the real deal... ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 at 01:52 PM by oweidah »

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
mga sir,

i will soon be getting a charlize t-amp (from sir dohbert) and prep'ing things up to complete this tiny jewel.

my queries are:

1. what pot resistance would i use, a 50 or 100 ohm?
2. where to get an ALP pot and how much?
3. what wire is best (or better) to use for the connections (eg. speaker, input rca and power)?
4. where can i find an OFF-ON-ON power switch for the soft start config and what is this switch called?
5. what is the max safe regulated power supply voltage to power the charlize?

hope to hear from y'all soon. i am very excited to build my first semi-DIY amp.

cheers ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:06 AM by GneW »

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 04:45 PM »
1) Pot resistance, use 50kohm
2) you can get blue alps from silver strings
3) for wiring, I'll be using belden patch cable, 8762 ata yung model number. Or you can try cat5e, teflon covered for wiring
4) no off-on-on switch, but you can use a 3-step rotary switch, with the resistor between the 2nd and 3rd step
5) max voltage according to yeo is 14v

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #135 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
I've been wanting to ask this. Why 50K for the pot? Why not lower?

Thanks.

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: sonic impact t-amp available
« Reply #136 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 07:18 PM »
sir ilang watts po ba ito? channels? puede po kaya ito gamitin as power amp to be paired to my yamaha 750? i am entertaining thoughts of using yammy's pre out with a dedicated power amp, can this be the solution i wanted?

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 07:49 PM »
hi agmjr... eto website t-amp  http://www.si-5.com/info/homePage.html at eto thread dito sa pinoy dvd http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=47023.120 ... im now using (and i highly recommend) two (2) t-amps biamped (to biwireable speakers) with AR tds sound enhancer and yamaha avr as preamp/processor. ang ganda kesa sa single t-amp! wider soundstage and a bit better tighter bass (though not as deep as desired pa rin)  stock pa lang na t-amp yan. the key is a good power supply ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:00 AM by oweidah »

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #138 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 07:52 PM »
thanks po

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:06 PM »
1) Pot resistance, use 50kohm
2) you can get blue alps from silver strings
3) for wiring, I'll be using belden patch cable, 8762 ata yung model number. Or you can try cat5e, teflon covered for wiring
4) no off-on-on switch, but you can use a 3-step rotary switch, with the resistor between the 2nd and 3rd step
5) max voltage according to yeo is 14v

thanks sir dohbert ;)

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:22 PM »
Regarding the 50k pot question, as per Sonic Impact, it already has a input 10k impedance, so depending on the value of the pot used, it will change the input impedance of the amp. For example using a 50k pot will give rise to a input impedance of 8.33 for the SI, if 10k is used, input impedance is 5ohms. And generally, input and output impedance (of the preamp or source, for example) matching is ideal for maximum power transfer, for if you have mismatched impedances, then you get inefficiency in the transfer of power, more power is lost. However, if you want the largest voltage signal at the input of the SI, then its input impedance must be much larger than the output impedance of the preamp or the source before it. Thus, if you want to drive the amp easier, it's better to use a 50k pot than the smaller 10k pot.  ;)

Offline wasp

• Apprentice
  • Let Our Colors Bleed
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:00 PM »
anu yun pot?

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:21 PM »
Yung nirorolyo tapos sinisindi parang yosi, tapos parang nasa langit ka na ...  :o oops, ibang pot pala yun, by pot we meant volume pot sir.

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:37 AM »
Bro, Who sells this this t-amps or where can i buy this modified t-amps?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #144 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 02:16 AM »
dohbert,

mali ka naman eh, yun pot yan yun ginagamit sa kitchen pag nagluluto!  ;D

serious...

pot is short for potentiometer. a variable resistor popularly used for audio volume control.  ;)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:04 AM »
sir agmjr,  using your yamaha avr as preamp/processor and the t-amp as power amplifer for the front channel is, imho, the perfect compromise for a setup na- hindi lang pang HT, pang-audio pa!
instead of having the ideal separate audio and ht setup, merged audio/ht setup na.
"timplahin" mo na lang x'over cutoff ng subwoofer para saluhin pagkukulang t-amp sa lower bass (100hz and below).... ;D

STEREO 15W (4.) CLASS-T™ AMP DIGITAL AUDIO AMPLIFIER USING DIGITAL POWER PROCESSING™ TECHNOLOGY

Sonic Impact introduces the first totally portable amp capable of generating 15W per channel output from a fully battery operated source that fits in the palm of your hand and weighs less than one and a half pounds. Ideally suited for powering the SoundpaX speaker line by Sonic Impact.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The TA2024 is a 15 W /ch continuous average two - channel Class - T Digital Audio Power Amplifier IC using proprietary Digital Power Processing ™ technology. Class - T amplifiers offer both the audio fidelity of Class - A B and the power efficiency of Class - D amplifiers.

APPLICATIONS

* Battery Powered System
    * Input for optional AC Adapter 12 Volt/ 2 amp power supply
    * No heat sink required up to 15W per channel
    * Intelligent short circuit protection
    * Connects to any passive 4/8 Ohm speakers
    * Takes standard audio line input from any sound system

BENEFITS

* Fully integrated solution
    * Reduced system cost with no heat sink
    * Dramatically improves efficiency versus Class-AB
    * Signal fidelity equal to high quality linear amplifiers

FEATURES

* Class-T architecture
    * Single Supply Operation
    * "Audiophile" Quality Sound
           0.04% THD+N @ 9W, 4.
           0.18% IHF-IM @ 1W, 4.
           11W @ 4., 0.1% THD+N
           6W @ 8., 0.1% THD+N

* High Power
           15W @ 4., 10% THD+N
           10W @ 8., 10% THD+N
    * High Efficiency
           81% @ 15W, 4.     
           88% @ 10W, 8.

* Dynamic Range = 102 dB
    * Mute and Sleep inputs
    * Turn-on & turn-off pop suppression
    * Over-current protection
    * Over-temperature protection

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:13 AM by oweidah »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:18 AM »

Offline wasp

• Apprentice
  • Let Our Colors Bleed
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:20 AM »
ano magandang pot for t-amp? san pede bumili? pde ba pumili ng knob?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #148 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 08:04 AM »
Regarding the 50k pot question, as per Sonic Impact, it already has a input 10k impedance, so depending on the value of the pot used, it will change the input impedance of the amp. For example using a 50k pot will give rise to a input impedance of 8.33 for the SI, if 10k is used, input impedance is 5ohms. And generally, input and output impedance (of the preamp or source, for example) matching is ideal for maximum power transfer, for if you have mismatched impedances, then you get inefficiency in the transfer of power, more power is lost. However, if you want the largest voltage signal at the input of the SI, then its input impedance must be much larger than the output impedance of the preamp or the source before it. Thus, if you want to drive the amp easier, it's better to use a 50k pot than the smaller 10k pot.  ;)

I see. I was thinking of the pot as a "source" too.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 08:29 AM »
with the pot dohbert was implying initially..we'll definitely be jammin' 8)