Author Topic: "Fantastic Four" - R3 different from other regions?  (Read 10083 times)

Offline gammaray

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Fantastic Four" - R3 different from other regions?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 07:40 AM »
Um... no one saved them? The extended scene just shows them waking up then it cuts back to Earth with Grimm waking up on the bed which was on the original release, if I'm not mistaken. Just correct me if I'm wrong.

Have to agree with other people, though, the original cut was a tighter, better paced story. Some of the additions here were awkward, redundant and unecessary (i.e. Reed Richards and Sue Storm's "date" at the planetarium and boardwalk -- what was up with the Wolverine impression? That was from the visual effects gag reel, inappropriate for a main feature).

Otherwise, it was okay. At P199-P299, it's a footnote for the collection.
I would not over analyze Fantastic Four as a movie, as an Oscar wannabee it is not. IMO as a family movie the additional footage helps. It provides less questions for kids watching.  As I said, at its sale price, P199. It is worth every centavo. Think of it as a Halo-Halo with Ice Cream, dag-dag.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
I would not over analyze Fantastic Four as a movie, as an Oscar wannabee it is not. IMO as a family movie the additional footage helps. It provides less questions for kids watching.  As I said, at its sale price, P199. It is worth every centavo. Think of it as a Halo-Halo with Ice Cream, dag-dag.

Any movie that is adapted from a comic book or video game is not running for an Academy Award for Best Picture -- by default. And it's wrong for people to assume that in the beginning , anyway.  ;) But who knows? We may get a Batman story translated into the cinematic equivalent of Lawrence of Arabia. Mahirap magsalita ng tapos.

Anyway, "IMO", the additional scenes were awkward and unnecessary. Even for a popcorn movie. I didn't say I didn't like it.

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+432)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1259
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 07:34 PM »
Any movie that is adapted from a comic book or video game is not running for an Academy Award for Best Picture -- by default. And it's wrong for people to assume that in the beginning , anyway.  ;) But who knows? We may get a Batman story translated into the cinematic equivalent of Lawrence of Arabia. Mahirap magsalita ng tapos.

Actually there are a few comics based films that can qualify, such as Persepolis, A History of Violence, American Splendor, Ghost World or Road to Perdition. :) These are not in the superhero genre though...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:16 AM »
Actually there are a few comics based films that can qualify, such as Persepolis, A History of Violence, American Splendor, Ghost World or Road to Perdition. :) These are not in the superhero genre though...

Then I should have added the word "Superhero", then  ;D Wasn't Superman 1 nominated for something? Not sure if it was for Best Picture at the Academy.

And the people over at Rotten Tomatoes dot com have a really good comic book to movies list that's worth a look-see. They have everything from traditional narrative to superhero comic book stories listed.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:19 AM by Dan »

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:59 PM »
I just bought the extended edition for 199. It has one disc and it only has one special feature (the Origins of the Silver Surfer featurette).
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline THX1138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 10:44 AM »
I see the local market has gotten somewhat spoiled with all these DVD sales / price reductions.
I dont understand what all the fuss is about for a P199-299 release.

If the extended edition had initially come out locally at P550-P750 and then dropped to P199 i doubt if it would go through this much criticism. I mean really at P199 it is less than the price of a movie ticket and popcorn and a drink (not mention parking).