Author Topic: Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before?  (Read 35608 times)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before?
« on: Apr 18, 2001 at 10:31 PM »
A sign of a true DVD addict is buying a DVD of a movie you've never seen before. Have you ever done that? I know I have.

It's a hit and miss thing.

Here are my "Hits":

• Alien Legacy, The - The only Alien movie I saw before buying the set was Alien Resurrection; and I didn't enjoy it that much then. I don't know what made me buy the set, but I do know that watching the movies one after the other made me reevaluate my assessment of the last film. I was blown away! I loved it the second time around, and the set is one of my most cherished purchases.
  • Being John Malkovich - I only had two reasons for buying this disc: John Malkovich and Spike Jonze. Not only did they fail to disappoint me with this DVD, but it also managed to surprise me with the performances of John Cusack and Cameron Diaz.
  • Pi - Crisp, dark, exciting & fun!
  • Seven Samurai - Need I say more?
  • This Is Spinal Tap - Read my thoughts in the Spinal Tap Thread. Hilarious!
  • Vertigo & Psycho - I haven't seen either of these two movies. I loved them so much that I already ordered two Hitchcock Boxed sets and sold these two movies so as not to have double copies.

My "Misses":

• Blade Runner - I know it's a classic movie with a large cult following, but I just don't get it. The fact that the DVD doesn't have a decent list of features didn't help either. ::)
  • Brazil - It's a good movie, no doubt about that. But it's not one that can pass my "Multiple Viewings Test". (DVDgurl, want to buy it? ;))
  • The Spanish Prisoner - Same with Brazil.

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
Re: Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 11:45 PM »
So far, I've bought 2 that I haven't watched before: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Almost Famous.  I loved the former and still waiting for the latter to ship.  Of course, before I bought them I did some research and "calculated" if I would like them.  :D

I'm planning to buy more movies I haven't watched before in the near future.  It's a risky thing to do, but sometimes it's fun too.  :)

Phoebus:  Wanna sell Blade Runner to me?  Also, is your Brazil the 2-disc version?

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 11:49 PM »
Great thread, Phoebus!  Like you, fellow DVD addict, I have bought a few DVDs that I'd never seen before -- and I've had my own share of hits and misses.

(These are in alphabetical order, because that's how my collection is arranged on my shelf. I used to have them arranged via genre, but that got confusing and too time-consuming after a while.)

Hits:

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle - despite being a box-office flop and suffering a number of lukewarm reviews, I bought this solely because I like the idea of animation/live action combos. This disc has become a perennial favorite among my three kids, and I don't mind repeat viewings either. Seeing Robert DeNiro make a fool of himself as "Fearless Leader" is worth the price of admission.  I consider this an overlooked gem.

Chicken Run - not fair, really, since I'll buy anything by Aardman Animation just on general principle. I'm a big Wallace and Gromit fan. Still, I did purchase this disc without having watched it beforehand. The kids love it, and so do I -- for different reasons.

Endless Waltz Gundam Wing: The Movie - I bought this solely because I had a hankering to watch giant animated robot suits killing each other brutally, and I'd felt horribly betrayed by Princess Mononoke (see my Misses, below).  I had never watched Gundam before, and aside from Akira, I'd never really been a big anime fan. I'd also read that other OAV discs from the Gundam series (started 1979) are nearly incomprehensible to Gundam newbies. But this disc is different. It starts slow, but boy, does it deliver. If you have the time I recommend you watch the 3-hour OAV version first, rather than the condensed movie version, because the former is more satisfying.

The Sopranos - the most awesome TV show of the past decade. Check my Sopranos thread in the discussion for why this is so cool. Absolutely my greatest didn't-watch-it-first buy.

Stuart Little - not for me, but my kids really enjoy this movie. Plus it is bursting at the seams with loads of extras that keep them busy for hours. ;)

U-571 - I took a chance on this WWII submarine flick, as I'm a big fan of submarine books/movies like Run Silent, Run Deep, Dust on the Sea, The Hunt for Red October, Grey Lady Down, etc.  I wsa also into the German code machine, the Enigma, which figures heavily in this film. Thankfully I was not disappointed. This is an old-fashioned, pre-Die Hard war thriller of the type Burt Lancaster and Gary Cooper used to star in, which is fine by me. The disc has a bunch of nifty extras too.

X-Men - I missed it in theaters, but Bryan Singer's movie adaptation has slick written all over it. Hugh Jackman is perfectly cast as Wolverine, although the guy playing Cyclops was a limp rag. Still, a deeply cool flick.

Misses:

Bowfinger - I like Steve Martin, I like Eddie Murphy, I like Heather Graham, but this movie has not gone beyond a single viewing for me yet. Good thing I got it cheap.

The Insider - I've been a big Michael Mann fan from way back -- The Jericho Mile, Manhunter, Miami Vice, Last of the Mohicans, and esepcially Heat. I also liked Russell Crowe from L.A. Confidential. While this movie is very good, the jury's not in yet on whether I'd like to keep it in my collection.

Princess Mononoke - I bought this without watching first through a series of errors. First, I'd read some really good reviews about this film and its creator, Hayao Miyazaki, who is like unto a deity in Japan. Second, I'd a hankering to expand my anime horizons since my main previous exposure was 1987's Akira. Third, I labored under the misimpression that this movie -- like most other Japanime I'd seen-- took place in a dark, violent, sci-fi-near-future-neo-cyberpunk milieu.  Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I watched this movie which takes place in a pastoral, pre-industrial past, with a man vs. nature storyline, with no good guys or bad guys, just characters with conflicting interests.  While this is a good movie, and highly admirable for being completely and beautifully hand-drawn in this age of CG-animation, it was definitely not what I expected. That's why I got Endless Waltz the following week -- now that's more like it!

Rules of Engagement - again, don't believe the hype. Just because I like Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson and have enjoyed some of director William Friedkin's past work (The French Connection, The Excorcist), these elements do not a good movie make.

It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:00 AM »
OO naman. I think more than half of the DVDs I have I bought even before I saw them. And I've had more hits than misses.  Siguro madali lang akong ma impress, and I usually don't care about what critics think, unless they praise something that I like. :)

The question is, are there any DVDs languishing in your collection that you haven't actually watched yet?

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:11 AM »
I used to read critics' reviews about a movie before deciding to watch one.  After some time, I've concluded that I liked a LOT of movies critics diss, and those that they praise are more often than not, crappy.  This just meant that I don't have a critic's taste.  But what do I care?   :)

Phoebus:  Let's just talk bout your DVDs for sale through ICQ.  Seeya!
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:15 AM »
The question is, are there any DVDs languishing in your collection that you haven't actually watched yet?
Well, there are discs in my collection that I have not yet fully exhausted, such as all the special features on T2 Ultimate (that will take me years to mine for all its worth ;)).

I have never actually watched my disc of Raising Arizona, although I've viewed that film on tape so many times over the years that I've practically memorized it.

Ah, I know na! I haven't watched discs 1-4 of my Mysteries and Myths of the 20th Centuryboxed set, nor have I watched my disc of The Road Warrior. But that's because I ordered them online and had them shipped to my sisters' place in NJ, then told her not to bother shipping them here since I will be flying there in a few months' time. ;)

In general, I try to watch every disc I have at least once.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
ARRRRRGH!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:19 AM »
I accidentally clicked on the "Remove" link which erased my previous post. Now I have to retype everthing! GEDDEMIT!  >:(

Anyway here goes:

flyderman:

Of course, before I bought them I did some research and "calculated" if I would like them.  

I do that too, but sometimes I find out too late that my taste doesn't coincide with that of the reviews I read.

I'm planning to buy more movies I haven't watched before in the near future.  It's a risky thing to do, but sometimes it's fun too.  

Exactly! I can't agree more.

Phoebus:  Wanna sell Blade Runner to me?  Also, is your Brazil the 2-disc version?

Yes please! We'll have to wait because I put Blade Runner up for auction. At the rate it's going, I don't think anybody is willing to buy it from me. Still, I would like to wait till the auction ends to see how it goes. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

The Brazil I have is the 3-Disc version. It's available now. It's only been viewed once and still in mint condition (DVDgurl can attest to that). She's not interested in buying it so if you are, ICQ me and let's haggle!

gonz

Thanks! I think it's a good thread too. ;D

I have the whole Gundam Wing series on VCD. Ate a lot out of my savings, what with 40+ episodes plus Endless Waltz and all. I do think that it's money well spent since I really enjoyed the series. I haven't seen the OAV version of Endless Waltz, though.

Re: Princess Mononoke - I'm really tempted to get it off your hands though I haven't seen it yet (very apt for this thread huh?). I guess I'll have to borrow it from people who have it before I decide to buy it. If ever I do like it, would you be willing to sell it to me?

Re: The Insider - If I were a part of the jury, I'd vote for the disc to stay. I really enjoyed that movie, and it has passed my "Multiple Viewings Test" with flying colors.

I agree on Rules of Engagement though, I thought it sucked.

Komikero Care to share with us your Hit & Miss list?

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: ARRRRRGH!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:30 AM »

Re: Princess Mononoke - If ever I do like it, would you be willing to sell it to me?
Sure. I certainly won't be watching it again, it might as well go to someone more appreciative. ;)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 01:44 AM »
Alien Legacy, The - I was blown away! I loved it the second time around, and the set is one of my most cherished purchases.
I only wanted to keep Aliens, Cameron's contribution to the series. I liked the first one, but not enough to collect. I was turned off by david Fincher's ice-cold, rock-video take on the third installment, and by the fourth I just didn't care anymore.

Blade Runner - I know it's a classic movie with a large cult following, but I just don't get it. The fact that the DVD doesn't have a decent list of features didn't help either. ::)
I can easily understand why you might be turned off by this. It's not the fastest-moving movie ever made. But I love it for being the first successful and complete realization of a cyberpunk near-future, with an original artistic sensibility that has spawned many imitations. Plus the amount of purely visual information and onscreen nuances is simply amazing. Also, I personally believe Rutger Hauer has never had a more affecting role than as Roy Batty, the killing machine replicant with the heart of a poet. At once a lesser achievement yet so much more than the Philip K. Dick novel (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) upon which it was based, I consider Blade Runner an audacious and singular film effort that will never be equalled -- how could it, when most studios today are afraid to release any film if it hasn't been focus-groupped and risk-assessed to death? Blade Runner was a stunning, admirable, big-budget flop with an indie sensibility and depth to spare.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 02:03 AM »
gonz flyderman is still not sure as to whether he wants to buy Blade Runner from me. If ever, would you be willing to buy it from me?

Also, when are you scheduled to leave the country? I only ask because I want to know if there's a deadline on our "potential deal".

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 02:16 AM »
My Hit List:

Ben Hur. Probably one of the few classic "acclaimed" movies that I can actually acclaim myself. I was pretty stunned throughout the movie. I'm a bit lukewarm on Lawrence of Arabia. I can't exactly call it a miss, but I can't exactly call it a hit either.  The filmmaking expertise in this movie was clearly evident, but I felt Lawrence himself was quite pathetic. I thought Bridge on the River Kwai was good as well.

Being John Malkovich. Hilarious. I don't regret buying it.

Seven Samurai. Excellent. It pretty much made most of Western movies junk in my eyes. :) It's more than 3 hours long and yet I've seen it multiple times.

The Right Stuff. Made me an instant Sam Shepard fan.

Shakespeare In Love. I thought this was a wonderful movie. Some people don't like it though. Made me like Gwyneth Paltrow. I never liked her before. I thought this was an extremely well written movie. Geofrrey Rush was hilarious.

Mystery Men. I don't know why a lot of people don't get this. I was laughing all the way through.

These are just some of my hits. Here are my misses:

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective I normally like Jim Carrey, but for some reason, I didn't like this one all that much. I felt it was too forced. THe DVD pissed me off as well because it didn't have a commentary like the package said.

Three Kings It was just OK. My friend raved so much about it that I thought it was a craping masterpiece. I watched it and I thought that it sort of lacked something, I can't explain what. But it was OK.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 03:38 AM »

gonz flyderman is still not sure as to whether he wants to buy Blade Runner from me. If ever, would you be willing to buy it from me?
Hmmm...would you be willing to accept a straight trade, my Princess Mononoke for your Blade Runner? That way, we both get something we want, and no money has to change hands. What do you say?

Also, when are you scheduled to leave the country? I only ask because I want to know if there's a deadline on our "potential deal".
July pa. Lots of time. ;)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 03:43 AM »
Mystery Men. I don't know why a lot of people don't get this. I was laughing all the way through.
I got it, Komikero, and although the movie does have problems, the many good bits redeem the whole thing. One of the funniest ensemble comedies of recent years -- I'd rank it up there just a little below A Fish Called Wanda.  Ben Stiller rules!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 04:05 AM »

Hmmm...would you be willing to accept a straight trade, my Princess Mononoke for your Blade Runner? That way, we both get something we want, and no money has to change hands. What do you say?

July pa. Lots of time. ;)

Perfect! We'll just have to wait for the auction to end for Blade Runner. I wouldn't worry about that though. I'll get back to you.

Oh and, MYSTERY MEN is an excellent movie! Amen?

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 06:44 AM »
yup..plenty of times
but i usually check for reviews on the video and audio quality on the dvd...
and if its loaded with  extra features too!
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 07:07 AM »
Hi Phoebus! Is your copy of Brazil the Criterion edition?

-Interested  ::)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 07:29 AM »
MultipleAngles Yup, my Brazi
l
is the 3-disc Criterion Collection version.

flyderman already expressed his interest in buying it. But if he backs out, I'll contact you, ok?

Offline shirtless

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2001 at 04:07 PM »

So far, I've bought 2 that I haven't watched before: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Almost Famous.  I loved the former and still waiting for the latter to ship.  Of course, before I bought them I did some research and "calculated" if I would like them.

i saw One Flew when it was first released in Philippine theatres back in the late 70s.  i loved it then and i still love it now.  to think most of the actors playing locos were unknown back then and became famous later on - danny de vito, christopher lloyd and that guy who played the "subway ghost" in Ghost, to name a few. and jack, of course, was just being jack.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 10:02 AM »
sometimes i would force myself not to watch the movie in theaters and just wait for it on dvd,
since i know i will buying the dvd's anyway,
like cayote ugly, bring it on, & space cowboys.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 12:36 PM »
BENTLY - you must mean "Camote" Ugly  ;D

There quite a number of dvds I've bought sight unseen which I have enjoyed.  Of course, I always do my homework first. I particularly loved The City of Lost Children

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 04:50 PM »

like cayote ugly, bring it on, & space cowboys.

I haven't seen any of those movies myself. How were they?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 06:00 PM »

Bring It On is actually good. Space Cowboys is even better ... but Coyote Ugly is a movie from the devil !!!! What a crappy movie  :P

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 07:54 PM »

BENTLY

since where going off topic here i'll just make breif comments on the movies

1. cayote ugly -  the songs ang girls will keep you ammused thru-out the movie, but plot is very simple...how a small town girl tries to reach her dream of being a song writer....2 stars
2. bring it on - good light hearted movie about cheerleading....this movie really give you a glimps and behind cheer leading competition...i really liked this movie! 4 stars
3.space cowboys - just got it the other day...so i really can't comment on it yet :-X

another dvd movie that i just finished tonight is  "billy elliot" , i loved this one, truly well acted
the british accent was a bit harsh...so i had to turn on the captioning.
4 stars, i did not give it a full 5 since there was not a whole lot of features in the dvd

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2001 at 09:17 PM »
everytime...
the biggest hit i had so far is the shawshank redemption. - it didn't have any features at all, but the movie makes up bigtime.

the biggest miss so far? maybe cujo

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2001 at 03:59 AM »
phobos,

i bought some titles na sa dvd ko pa lang napanood at meron din na nabili ko na at hindi ko pa rin napapanood just buying it and as collections na minsan ay nababasa ko lang na must have in your collections kaya ko binili, hehehe.

thanx.

vax

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 03:28 AM »
I bought Outsiders because I saw it cheap in K-mart. I sold it afterwards.  :)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 03:31 AM »

Well, there are discs in my collection that I have not yet fully exhausted, such as all the special features on T2 Ultimate (that will take me years to mine for all its worth ;)).

I know what you mean. I spent 3 entire days going through everything and reading everything. I can't begin to describe how much I learned.  :)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 04:51 AM »

Yes, this happens to me quite often ;D.

In the course of collecting DVD's, I've had to rely on the synopsis to determine a purchase. It's also an advantage having been an LD collector as I've had practice doing this. With the availability of online reviews, it's been a lot easier to make a judgement call before buying.

Most of the time too, I rely on the recommendation of others about movies. I've learned to base a decision on reactions of others. At times, I'd call my mom - she watches theatrical releases on the first show of the first release day, and ask her about the movie.

The rest of my family are also good resources. But the best are the younger ones who, after watching a good movie, come to me and say "You've got to get the DVD of this one!!", of course, their parents join them in the recommendation as well.

In the course of collecting, I've had some blind hits such as The Third Miracle, Thirteenth Floor, Bicentennial Man, etc., as well as some impulsive disappointments: Snow Falling on Cedars and a few more.

None of the disappointments make me want to sell them, as I wouldn't miss the chance to view them later from a different viewpoint. But seriously, it's probably just the DVD collecting Addict thing. :o
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 09:39 AM »
Yup, do it all the time. I like discovering a good movie. Of course, the price for that is collecting a few regrets.

Happy discoveries:

memento - What can I say?

Waking the Dead - Offbeat romance

Vertigo and Rear Window - Figured I couldn't lose with these Hitchcocks

The Red Violin - Rarely do I come across a movie that so many people say they "love"

Regrets:

Chinese Box - How could a film starring Gong Li, Jeremy Irons, Maggie Cheung, directed by Wayne Wang, with a story centered around one of my favorite places (Hong Kong) be so unwatchable?

Magnolia- I really wanted to like this film. And I really wanted to kick myself for buying the DVD.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 05:00 PM »
Yes! My main reason for buying the DVD is because I've never seen it yet. I only have a couple of titles that I've seen and bought when it came on DVD.
There's something to learn everyday