Author Topic: Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before?  (Read 35606 times)

Offline saling-pusa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before
« Reply #60 on: Mar 05, 2002 at 02:44 AM »
Of course naman.kung nakita ko na before, walang masyadong excitement... dapat ay never seen yet!
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
Re: Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before
« Reply #61 on: Mar 05, 2002 at 06:42 PM »
Fast and The Furious, di ko napanood sa sine kasi ayaw ni esmi kasi wala daw istorya, well sa akin ok naman siya. nag enjoy naman ako sa Reference Quality Video at Roaring DTS track niya.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline rasj76

• Apprentice
  • you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
  • Liked:
Re:Have you bought a DVD you've never seen before?
« Reply #62 on: Mar 30, 2002 at 03:49 PM »
the highly touted Citizen Cane by Orson Welles, a film I had to see since it practically on everybodys list of "greatest movies of all time"

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Apr 07, 2002 at 07:14 PM »
Well I recently bought a Jay and Silent Bob Special Edition DVD. I didn't catch that on theatres, it was quite good (obviously I'm a View Askew fan), and I also bought a Drawing Flies DVD.
Listen to the silence...

Offline akoito

• Collector
  • Akoito is Back!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 07, 2002 at 10:13 PM »
Moulin Rouge!- I never saw this in the theater coz I didn't like musicals that much.  But after I saw it, I realized that it was a great film... a musical, a comedy and love story (plus may action pa) rolled into one. I'm saving money to buy the original  ;D since what I bought before was a bootleg  :-\.

I also bought the Wizard of Oz today and I just hope that I'd like it, .  Keeping my fingers crossed.  ::)
What we do in life echoes in eternity...

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #65 on: Apr 12, 2002 at 01:57 PM »
Moulin Rouge- for the original medleys and 2 discs loaded with features.  What the heck, maski pangit ang movie...loaded naman ang DVDs.  But enjoyed the movie as well.

The One-  Heard  that Jet Li kicks ass in this movie better than Kiss of the Dragon...so sucker me bought it.

Offline cpudle

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 12, 2002 at 03:15 PM »
Actually I prefer buying movies on DVD I have not seen. 33 out of the 40 in my collection are movies that I haven't seen either via video or at the cinema. I'll probably get the ones I've seen and liked a lot when dvd prices have come down. : )

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 15, 2002 at 06:35 AM »
cpudle-  I do the other way around.  I prefer buying DVDs which I already watched so as to make my money's worth especially the ones with high replay value.   Those I haven't watched yet, I'd rather rent it out first and watch it before buying a DVD.  But sometimes...I get influenced by good reviews so I buy them even without watching them yet.  Mahal ata ang DVDs...

If DVD prices have gone down, then I can now buy discs which I haven't seen yet so even if the movie sucks, hindi sayang ang money! ;)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Apr 15, 2002 at 06:51 AM »
I bought the following, but not yet received. Hopefully I can have it by this week!

The Titles are:

The Audition- A japanese Horror Film
Battle Royale - A controversial Film?
Shaolin Soccer - Stephen Chow, what else?
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline cpudle

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 06:16 PM »

cpudle-  I do the other way around.  I prefer buying DVDs which I already watched so as to make my money's worth especially the ones with high replay value.   Those I haven't watched yet, I'd rather rent it out first and watch it before buying a DVD.  But sometimes...I get influenced by good reviews so I buy them even without watching them yet.  Mahal ata ang DVDs...

If DVD prices have gone down, then I can now buy discs which I haven't seen yet so even if the movie sucks, hindi sayang ang money! ;)

xage, I agree. Medyo risky nga but I do research before I purchase so as to diminish the risk of getting a lemon. I think it boils down to your concept of value for money--my marginal benefit kasi of watching a great movie for the first time is so much higher than watching a great movie I've seen before.  For that extra "kick" I'm willing to tolerate the higher risk. :)

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #70 on: Apr 18, 2002 at 10:06 PM »
i have two:

the pillow book starring ewan mcgregor and the lover starring jane march.  i dont know why i ordered them i guess i was just curious.  i really cannot comment on the movies themselves other than they are not my cup of tea.  i saw reviews kasi and my interest was piqued. s

Offline De Niro

• Apprentice
  • Ace Rothstein is in the HOUSE!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Apr 23, 2002 at 08:06 PM »
i haven't seen most of my dvd's before buying them.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Apr 24, 2002 at 11:03 AM »
I bought Eurithmics Peace tour because of the review and because it is in Anamorphic format.   I was surprise how beautiful their songs were.  Now I'm looking for their Best of CD according to the discography.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 26, 2002 at 07:53 AM »
Both Battle Royale and the Audition which I bought 2 weeks ago were new to me. The Hype made me tempted to buy the two.

By the way these are at Region3 and bot are Japanese Films

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 26, 2002 at 10:23 AM »

xage, I agree. Medyo risky nga but I do research before I purchase so as to diminish the risk of getting a lemon. I think it boils down to your concept of value for money--my marginal benefit kasi of watching a great movie for the first time is so much higher than watching a great movie I've seen before.  For that extra "kick" I'm willing to tolerate the higher risk. :)

Yup, I totally agree that it is how you value your money.  You can always watch a movie at a great sounding theater for P120-150.00 rather than buying a movie (DVD) 5x the price.  The good thing about buying a DVD is that you are not in a hurry to watch it coz you know its always there. ;)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Apr 26, 2002 at 11:01 AM »
Hi NirvBlakr,Cpudle

I understand your posts, however such titles I mentioned got a lot of praise not only from the previous threads here in PinoyDVD but also with multiple movie reviews from the internet and mags.

And the movies mentioned match my taste, that is why I bought it as for money wasted I think not, all have quality picture,sound (two are DTS) and total value of all three are very affordable!!

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2002 at 11:03 AM by xage »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #76 on: Apr 27, 2002 at 03:55 AM »
so long as it's a good deal, i don't mind buying the DVD of a movie i've never seen before.

that's how i ended up with:
Pitch Black = good
Dracula 2000 = bad
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2002 at 03:56 AM by SiCkBoY »

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Apr 27, 2002 at 04:05 AM »
yes it's called "Trial and Error"
u get lucky it's yours to keep
unlucky, it is still yours to KEEP! ;D

Offline iMike

• Apprentice
  • KING KONG AINT GOT $#!7 ON ME!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Apr 28, 2002 at 05:27 PM »
One of my recent purchases was Training Day.  Wasn't interested at all in this movie when it was out and I really thought I would hate it...in fact the only reason I bought it was because I was itching to buy a new DVD and when it was released here it was selling for only 14$.  I still waited a couple of days til I finally got around to watching it and I was completely surprised!!  Damn fine movie/DVD!!  Denzil is one bad ass mofo who just pisses you off in this film.  Excellent movie which I highly recommend to everyone.
"KING KONG AINT GOT $#!7 ON ME"

Offline siriusblack

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Apr 29, 2002 at 10:47 AM »

yes it's called "Trial and Error"
u get lucky it's yours to keep
unlucky, it is still yours to KEEP! ;D

unless you decide to resell it. ;)
but i do agree, sometimes you can't win em all.  

I for one get curious on a number of titles because of the heavy discussions and promotions on this site.  Recently bought SHAOLIN SOCCER, and have to admit the movie was entertaining and enjoyable.    
Lord, help me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me !!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Apr 30, 2002 at 09:00 AM »
hi guys,

Just wondering lang if there are any DVDs or movies that you don't know and haven't seen before that has caught your curiosity?  In turn you bought this DVD or is already in your wishlist...    ???

by being active in pinoydvd, eto ang list for for DVDs that has caught my attention...

1.  Rashomon
2.  Memento
3.  Usual Suspects
4.  Shaolin Soccer

so far eto lang naiisip ko...  but i know there are some more that i want to buy na out of curiosity   :D

dni

I just bought Clockwork Orange from redroost yesterday to see what all the fuss was about. And I was blown away to say the least. Even if this DVD does not contain any special features, this is definitely a keeper. The transfer is flawless and the sound was simply amazing. With the music playing a very significant part in this movie, it would only be right for the audio transfer to do the movie justice.

I've never been a big fan of Stanley Kubrick (Did not enjoy 2001: Space Odyssey and almost fell asleep while watching Eyes Wide Shut), mainly because I never understood the guy until now. After watching this movie, I'll definitely make it a point to go and watch/rent/buy more of his titles.

Next on my list: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Kubrick.....whattamen!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2002 at 10:45 AM by Phobos »

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2002 at 11:05 AM »
Picked up Metropolis (the one directed by Tarô Rin from AstroVision yesterday.

I've never seen this movie before, but having read numerous positive reviews about it, I knew that I just had to see it.

Watching the movie was a little bit like eating chocolate. One part of you was enjoying it, but the other part was thinking "Is this it?". Very sweet, but a tad unfulfilling.

The production design was gorgeous, I'll give it that. The computer generated scenes blended seamlessly with the hand drawn images. The architecture was breathtaking and the colors vibrant. The sound was spectacular and the video transfer was exceptional.

However, while watching the movie, I couldn't help but think that with all of the effort in making the movie pretty, they've forgotten to flesh out the characters and their motivations.

The characters were in a word - underwhelming. Probably because of the short running time (108 minutes). A story of this scope and grandeur deserves a much longer time for it to unravel as it was meant to be.

Metropolis was based on Osamu Tezuka's Manga (which was in turn probably inspired by Fritz Lang).  And I'm sure that the story and characters were given the proper treatment in that medium. This would have probably worked better as a mini-series or a much longer movie.

Still, it wasn't all bad, and the esthetics justifies the price I paid for it.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2002 at 01:54 PM »
As much as possible eh I don't buy DVDs I have not seen yet (as in the movie itself).

I did that already while I was starting pa lang sa DVD at super daming mga titles ang gusto kong bilhin because of the comments on the DVD or the special features.

I got Natural Born Killers but eventually watched it once only kaya eventually I sold it na rin.

I only buy DVDs without even watching the movie first only if maraming good feedback ang mga taga PinoyDVD (not too dependable kasi ang feedback sa Amazon customers) or kung super aliw na ako sa trailer from another DVD like Thumbtanic.

Offline anwarlorenzo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2002 at 04:21 PM »
2001: A Space Odsssey
Of course I was disappointed at first because I thought it was just your typical movie. It takes 2+ viewings to appreciate it pala :)
It's one of those movies that makes you think.

dagger

« Reply #84 on: Jun 02, 2002 at 06:17 AM »
yes. and am doing so.  my interest is on foreign films.  and as the others have previously stated it's a hit or miss thing.  what draws me to the films are the plot lines usually hinted at in editorial or past viewer comments.  though their high ratings does not necessarily mean high rating for me too, it's a chance i'm willing to take.  

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #85 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 10:25 PM »
I just did, actually.

Brazil - Criterion Collection - I just finished watching the Directors Cut today, along with the What is Brazil? and The Battle of Brazil:  A Video History features.  Thank goodness I loved the movie, what with all the trouble I went through just to buy it, but that's another story.  I feel a bit of a headache coming though, maybe because I've spent close to 4 hours sitting in front of my TV set!  I actually appreciated 12 Monkeys more, after watching Brazil, because I noticed Terry Gilliam's touch all throughout the movie.  In fact, after watching Brazil and the 2 features, I watched The Hamster Factor and the other Tales of the Twelve Monkeys feature on my Twelve Monkeys DVD!  Sakit sa ulo  :-\

North by Northwest - haven't watched this yet, have to pick up my copy from Johnny Air.  I've read good reviews, though.  This was a super impulsive buy for me, will see if I live to regret it.

And I almost forgot, I got Memento, Say Anything, Amelie and Brotherhood of the Wolf-R3 a few months back.  Didn't regret any of those purchases either.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2002 at 10:32 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 10:46 PM »
Sakit sa ulo  :-\.

Looks like you had an information overload!
i felt the same way, in appreciating TGuillian's movies after viewing this.
i also bought this dvd just from recommendations on a dvd forum, plus i knew that any criterion dvd is worth a least 1 viewing! :)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2002 at 11:58 PM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline TomKat

• Apprentice
  • KLATU! VERATA! NIK-cough-cough!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 12:16 AM »
Hey!

About half of the dvd's in my collection were bought without my having previously seen the movies themselves.  So far, they have mostly been hits, with just these few very disappointing misses:

MISTS OF AVALON: I am a huge fan of the novel by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and I supposse that that's what worked against this video.  It paled in comparison.

ERIN BROCKOVICH: Yes, THAT critically acclaimed, academy award winning Erin Brockovich.  The movie was interesting up to a point, but Roberts' over-the-top performance just detracted from the whole thing.

CADDYSHACK 2: I loved number 1.  Anyone who has seen both movies don't really need any further explanation.

THE MUSKETEER: A thrilling action ride with highly enjoyable sword fights and a highly irrelevant story.  

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 07:35 AM »
A Bug's Life- One of the first in DVD format.  Believe it or not, haven't watched it but have watched Antz before.

Osmosis Jones-  well maybe self explanatory, it is because of the P350 sale in Astro that's why I bought it

The Shining- old movie and I wasn't allowed to watch them horror movies when I was a kid.  By Bro. Alfie's recommendation and the sale at Astro, I gave way in buying this.

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone- Some of you guys will kill me if I said that I slept watching it in Powerplant Cinema (I was post duty that time) :o.  So bought the DVD to finish watching it.

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #89 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 07:45 AM »
I bought..

Snatch...No regrets buying it
Fast and The Furious...No regrets buying it
L.A. Confidential....No regrets buying it
Ultimate Jordan...Thanks to my Pinsan..I consider these never seen kasi may mga vhs compilation na ng Come fly with me ..etc etc .and even those copies di ko pa napanood
The Usual Suspect...Havent opened yet

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2002 at 10:53 AM by dexterc »