Author Topic: Local releases better than R1  (Read 1403 times)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Local releases better than R1
« on: Oct 19, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
I think this has not been discussed before. So are there local releases that are better than their R1 counterparts?

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Local releases better than R1
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:02 PM »
the first title that comes to mind is Tarzan, 2-Disc SE, it's definitely better than the recently released (oct. 18, 2005) r1 SE that has been confirmed to contain only 1 disc......& the r3 SE was sold at a measly sum of Php250.00 only during the podium SALE....... 8)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:04 PM »
I think I've come across this discussion before.  There are some R3 releases that are better than R1, like the 3-disc Hongkong released R3 of Aviator and a few others with DTS tracks where the R1 version only has DD.  But they're very few.  But if you talk about LOCAL releases like those by Magna and C interactive, I have yet to encounter one.  Better in what respect?  If in terms of packaging and special features, forget it.  In terms of value, meaning at 199 or 299, maybe, if you just want the movie.   ;D

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:27 PM »
the first title that comes to mind is Tarzan, 2-Disc SE, it's definitely better than the recently released (oct. 18, 2005) r1 SE that has been confirmed to contain only 1 disc......& the r3 SE was sold at a measly sum of Php250.00 only during the podium SALE....... 8)

Agree ako jan sir classicman. I also ordered the R1 release (said to have 2 discs in every ad of Tarzan), just to find out that single disc release na lang sya. Good thing I got a copy of the 2Disc in the last sale. Disappointing, dagdag pa naman yon sa collection ko ng R1 Disney DVDs. Bili na lang kaya ako slipcase for my R3?  ;)
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline sweetam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
Monsters Inc R3 have DTS track (found in the Language menu).  R1 doesn't.

Offline casanegro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "Manos", The Hands of Fate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 04:49 PM »
Enemy of the State R3 is anamorphic and has special features. R1 is non-anamorphic and barebone.

True Lies R3 and R1 have the same features, but R3 is anamorphic while R1 is only letterbox. Surprisingly, R1 is THX certified while R3 is not. WTF???

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 11:54 PM »
How about "Eyes Wide Shut"? Is it true that in the R1 version, the sex scenes are digitally covered?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 09:39 AM »
How about "Eyes Wide Shut"? Is it true that in the R1 version, the sex scenes are digitally covered?

True.  The R1 version had the graphic sex scenes digitally covered.  The R3 was not censored.

Sakin what comes to mind is the Ocean's 11 & 12 Boxed Set in terms of packaging.  Still trying to get one at sale price.  Sadly di pa kasama sa mga discounted titles ng Warner.  Still at 825, waiting for this to drop to Matrix/HP level of around 475 or 425.  Maybe even sa 350 double disc titles.