Author Topic: Pinoy Television in the 1970s and the 1980s  (Read 38168 times)

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Pinoy TV schedules during the '70s and '80s
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 06:55 PM »
i remember that issue, di ba andyan yun ad sa voltes v?  the one detailing all five
crafts that volt in to become voltes v?

Offline ralfy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 08:29 PM »
There's this great site at http://www.tvparty.com. I tried to look for sites on Pinoy television and I got http://www.geocities.com/pinoytv/index.htm. Maybe one day some guys will come up with a site for Pinoy television and radio from the last few decades. This reminds me of "An Unofficial History of Philippine Punk" at http://www.geocities.com/namataysaingay/home.html.

You got them roughly in order, IF memory serves me right. I was a GMA-7 addict back then. The schedule was something like this (no guarantees... it's been 30 years, and I was in prep/grade school back then):

Mondays: 9:00 Barnaby Jones

Tuesdays: 9:00 Soap, 9:30 MASH

Wednesdays: 9:00? The Love Boat

Thursdays: 8:00? Eight is Enough (eventually moved to Saturdays)

Fridays: 8:00 The Hardy Boys, 9:00 Starsky and Hutch, 10:00 Petrocelli

Saturdays: 8:00 The Planet of the Apes/Little House on the Prairie, 9:00 Combat (I think...)

I know BBC-2 had "The Bionic Woman" on Tuesdays at 8?... but for the life of me, I cannot remember what day RPN-9 aired my favorite show at the time, "The Six Million Dollar Man."

May I ask... why the sudden nostalgia for old TV show schedules?

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 08:31 PM »
How about Space 1999 and UFO?

Sapphire and Steel was on GMA-7. I remember watching it faithfully week after week, even though I could barely understand what was happening, and even more strangely, I kept expecting Dr. Who to pop up.  ;D
GMA-7 did not air all the episodes, but the entire 34-episode run is available in one DVD set (7 discs) --check out the Amazon.com entry.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 08:35 PM »
I can't remember the Invisible Man that much. I think Man from Atlantis was shown on Channel 13? (How about the old Flipper series?)

Also, did we follow the U.S. Saturday programming format? I remember watching Shazam, Isis, Land of the Lost, and Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. Also, there was a time they showed My Favorite Martian Saturday mornings.

Don't forget :

Six Million Dollar Man,

the Invisible Man,

The Man From Atlantis,

Wonder Woman,

Those were my favorites among others.

Does anyone remember: "Friday The 13th The Series?"  Is there a DVD Set available?

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 08:38 PM »
I can't remember that (was it from the '70s), but I remember the ones from Rado, Singapore Airlines, a hotel in Hong Kong (Lee Garden?), and helicopter services.

Does anyone remember their TV commercial/jingle? With the singing girl in the flowing dress running through HUGE copies of the magazine?

"TV Times, TV Times
Weekly entertainment guide
Accurate schedules, your favorite stars
All of these and more...
on TV Times... TV Times...
TV Times... Your entertainment guide..."

If you remember that, I'm sure you also remember that "La Germania... Generates Love..."  :P

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 08:41 PM »
The title reminds me of the movie starring Stephen Boyd and Raquel Welch.

anyone remember the fantastic journey (or voyage)series?  was a short lived series in the states
that is similar in some ways to lost, being a group of people stranded on an island.  kaibahan lang e parang
they are from different time eras or dimensions.  cannot recall everything really, all i can remember was
that one of the stars was jared martin and he sorta came from the future and he had this tuning fork
thingie and this girl who's name was liana or lleana or something and the thing i remember about her
back then was she looked like leah navarro.  it aired over channel 7 tuesday evenings.  cannot really
remember much about it but i liked it and was bummed that it got cancelled.

anybody remember the old TV TIMES magazine?  does anybody have a copy of that one still surviving?

Offline emvi_2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 09:44 PM »
i remember that issue, di ba andyan yun ad sa voltes v? the one detailing all five
crafts that volt in to become voltes v?

Sorry, malabo eh  :-[
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2005 at 09:46 PM by emvi_2000 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 11:03 PM »
I think Man from Atlantis was shown on Channel 13?

No no no... The Man From Atlantis (with Patrick Duffy and Belinda J. Montgomery) was definitely on GMA 7. It was on Mondays at 8PM, before (or was it after?) CHiPs at 9PM. THEN came Barnaby Jones at 10PM pala.  ;D

Also, did we follow the U.S. Saturday programming format? I remember watching Shazam, Isis, Land of the Lost, and Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. Also, there was a time they showed My Favorite Martian Saturday mornings.

I actually bought the entire 1970s "Land of the Lost" series on DVD already... hehehe...

I can't remember that (was it from the '70s), but I remember the ones from Rado, Singapore Airlines, a hotel in Hong Kong (Lee Garden?), and helicopter services.

"Singapore (girl?)... you're a great way to fly..."

"The Lee Gardens smile... means 'You're welcome'." (Old Chinese Girl with thick accent: "You're Welcome!")

These trips down memory lane are very taxing on the brain...  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2005 at 11:04 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Cho

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 11:26 AM »
How about Space 1999 and UFO?

If I remember right, Space 1999 was shown on Channel 9.  Primetime at around 8 but heck if I can remember on what day of the week.
UFO was shown on Channel 5.  Noontime - Sundays I think.  Then later reruns were shown on Channel 9.
Stingray was on Channel 13 - afternoons.
Channel 5 also showed Gigantor.... and Jonny Quest.
My my my... i'm an old man!   ;)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
If I remember right, Space 1999 was shown on Channel 9.  Primetime at around 8 but heck if I can remember on what day of the week.
UFO was shown on Channel 5.  Noontime - Sundays I think.  Then later reruns were shown on Channel 9.

LOL, that's right! I fondly remember Space:1999--in fact, I liked it a lot, because of the sets, the stories where mostly they did a lot of talking, and its bizarre, impossible premise of the moon breaking away from earth's orbit and travelling into deep space.

At school, avid Star trek fanatics hated it, but I liked it better than Star Trek, and liked it even more when they introduced Maya in season 2.

As for UFO, wasn't that the granddaddy of all scifi shows? And also the spiritual predecessor of Space:1999 (same creators/producers), but UFO had way more cooler vehicles and concepts (moonbase, SHADO, interceptors, etc.). If I remember right, the aliens breathe some kind of black liquid, and their ships were kinda cool. The entire UFO series is also available in expensive DVD sets.  8)
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005 at 12:48 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 08:47 PM »
The title reminds me of the movie starring Stephen Boyd and Raquel Welch.

i know the movie you are referring to, was made in the 60s yata at parang ginaya nung 80s
ng movie na i cannot recall the title starring dennis quaid and martin short.  this series was a totally different one.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 10:14 PM »

those watch commercials of the 70's seems etched really deeply in my mind.... the likes of rado (diastar?), seiko (rivoli i think), timex, i think alba, too.....
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 10:45 PM »

emvi_2000, I'm always on the look-out for old magazines in the hopes of finding movie reviews or movie ads for our Nora Aunor Fansite. From the copies you have, any chance of Nora movies reviewed by Isagani R. Cruz? I believe he used to write the movie reviews for TV Times.

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 12:59 AM »

i know the movie you are referring to, was made in the 60s yata at parang ginaya nung 80s
ng movie na i cannot recall the title starring dennis quaid and martin short.  this series was a totally different one.

dasnugster, Innerspace is the title of the Dennis Quaid-Martin Short movie. Also starring Quaid's erstwhile love, Meg Ryan...

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:40 AM »
dasnugster, Innerspace is the title of the Dennis Quaid-Martin Short movie. Also starring Quaid's erstwhile love, Meg Ryan...

yep, thanx for the info.  palabas pa nga kagabi sa hbo after i logged off here e.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:49 AM »
emvi_2000, I'm always on the look-out for old magazines in the hopes of finding movie reviews or movie ads for our Nora Aunor Fansite. From the copies you have, any chance of Nora movies reviewed by Isagani R. Cruz? I believe he used to write the movie reviews for TV Times.

mine has.  it's from october 1979 and it has erik estrada again on the cover.  it's actually part of a three movie
review featuring california suite, voices and ate guy's annie b. 

Offline emvi_2000

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 08:48 AM »
Will be on the lookout for reviews on Nora's films.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 11:49 AM »
mine has.  it's from october 1979 and it has erik estrada again on the cover.  it's actually part of a three movie
review featuring california suite, voices and ate guy's annie b. 

If the review starts with this sentence "Maryo de los Reyes was good in High School Circa 65 and great in Gabun. But he cannot compensate for the inferior material in Annie Batungbakal." I already have a copy of this one but thanks anyway. If you see other Nora movie reviews, please let me know and so sorry everyone for making an off-topic post.

Offline Lala789

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 10:40 AM »
early to mid-80s...

i fondly remember getting up early on saturdays to catch the Saturday Fun Machine on channel 9... sunod-sunod na cartoons, kasama na yung Superfriends  ;D

isama na rin natin ang mga ito:

That's Entertainment on weekdays (saturday was the day for those production numbers, where the thursday group would always win the best presentation).

Old pinoy movies on channel 9 after eat bulaga (sampaguita and lvn movies where I learned about the ibong adarna, cofradia, etc).

Weekdays at 10:00 am, Sesame with Kuya Mario, Ate Sienna, and others, later renamed Batibot

Weekdays at 4:00 pm on channel 4 was the show with the lady who did crafts (name of the show escapes me now, but it's the show after which Negosiete was patterned) / or at channel 2, The Three Stooges.

Tuesdays (or was that Mondays?) at 7pm on Ch 7 - 21 Jump Street
Wednesdays at 7pm on Ch7 - Mission Impossible
Saturdays at 7pm on Ch 9 was MacGyver
Sundays after the GMA Supershow was Lovingly Yours, Helen

and lest we forget, Flor de Luna on Ch 9 and Anna Liza on Ch 7... Dallas and Dynasty na rin...

late 80s were the mini-series on Ch 9 like Boracay, Davao, etc...

tapos wala pang cable non, so pinaka-cable na namin yung TV station ng Clark Airbase where I watched Jeopardy... pinagti-tyagaan kahit malabo...
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:02 AM by Lala789 »

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 07:35 PM »
I also remembered those kid shows on Channel 7, especially

Uncle Bob's Lucky Seven Club (Saturday mornings 10am)

where the kids get to play parlor games and win all those awesome toys.

Grabe ang inggit ko sa mga batang iyon... ;D especially when there's this kid who got a Macross Veritech fighter model... Paborito ko pa namang anime yung Macross dati...Arrgh!!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 07:52 PM »

Spanky (the elephant)! Meron din yatang "Pancho" na puppet, right?

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 08:32 PM »
don t know if this has been mentioned, pero what about tito pepe's clubhouse 9?
i remember fondly the go-kart(?) race.  grade one pa lang ako nun...

Offline emvi_2000

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 10:08 PM »
don t know if this has been mentioned, pero what about tito pepe's clubhouse 9?
i remember fondly the go-kart(?) race. grade one pa lang ako nun...
I remember... ;D

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
Does anyone remember that B&W Filipino movie that stars Jose Mari Gonzalez (I think) with Dolphy and Panchito in secondary roles? It's a take on R.S. Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". They showed it on Channel 9 (I think) several times (together with Omega Man a few years earlier).

About FEN, they showed something like two sitcoms a day (many of them shown only a week earlier in the States), an action or drama series after, followed by a movie or sports. They also had Mr. Rogers, Degrassi High, Square Pegs, and other kids' and teens' shows during the afternoon, a special during the weekend (a movie, Elvira's horror show, SNL, or WWF Main Event), and more. I think it was even better than the cable TV offered today.

early to mid-80s...

i fondly remember getting up early on saturdays to catch the Saturday Fun Machine on channel 9... sunod-sunod na cartoons, kasama na yung Superfriends  ;D

isama na rin natin ang mga ito:

That's Entertainment on weekdays (saturday was the day for those production numbers, where the thursday group would always win the best presentation).

Old pinoy movies on channel 9 after eat bulaga (sampaguita and lvn movies where I learned about the ibong adarna, cofradia, etc).

Weekdays at 10:00 am, Sesame with Kuya Mario, Ate Sienna, and others, later renamed Batibot

Weekdays at 4:00 pm on channel 4 was the show with the lady who did crafts (name of the show escapes me now, but it's the show after which Negosiete was patterned) / or at channel 2, The Three Stooges.

Tuesdays (or was that Mondays?) at 7pm on Ch 7 - 21 Jump Street
Wednesdays at 7pm on Ch7 - Mission Impossible
Saturdays at 7pm on Ch 9 was MacGyver
Sundays after the GMA Supershow was Lovingly Yours, Helen

and lest we forget, Flor de Luna on Ch 9 and Anna Liza on Ch 7... Dallas and Dynasty na rin...

late 80s were the mini-series on Ch 9 like Boracay, Davao, etc...

tapos wala pang cable non, so pinaka-cable na namin yung TV station ng Clark Airbase where I watched Jeopardy... pinagti-tyagaan kahit malabo...

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
I just found out recently--and I might be mistaken--that Uncle Bob was the former owner of Channel 7.

where the kids get to play parlor games and win all those awesome toys.

Grabe ang inggit ko sa mga batang iyon... ;D especially when there's this kid who got a Macross Veritech fighter model... Paborito ko pa namang anime yung Macross dati...Arrgh!!!!

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 12:54 PM »
I might as well ask the following:

What was the movie program slot on Channel 13? Showcase? And did they show The Electric Company on the same channel? How about Sesame Street? Channel 2?

Did they show Bronowski's Ascent of Man, the documentary about Vietnam, and Connections on Channel 4? How about the British action series The Professionals?

When and where did they show Chico and the Man (Ch. 2?), Maude (the same?), Joey and Son (Ch. 9?), Welcome Back: Kotter (was it only used as a filler during the late evenings), Taxi, Duplex (years before Joey and Son?), and Chicks to Chicks (Ch. 13?)?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 01:08 PM »
I might as well ask the following:

What was the movie program slot on Channel 13? Showcase? And did they show The Electric Company on the same channel? How about Sesame Street? Channel 2?

In the late 1970s, Sesame Street was on Channel 9. It was shown without commercial interruptions, with only a Toyota commercial before and after the show. 9AM with a 4PM replay yata. I'm not positive, but I believe The Electric Company was on Channel 2.

How about the British action series The Professionals?

I think The Professionals was on Channel 7.

When and where did they show Chico and the Man (Ch. 2?), Maude (the same?), Joey and Son (Ch. 9?), Welcome Back: Kotter (was it only used as a filler during the late evenings), Taxi, Duplex (years before Joey and Son?), and Chicks to Chicks (Ch. 13?)?

You have the channels right for Chico & the Man, Maude, Joey and Son and Chicks to Chicks. Welcome Back, Kotter was on Channel 9, Taxi was on 2, Duplex was on 9 on Saturdays at 9pm yata (sometime after Kaluskos Musmos).

Since we've covered a few kids shows, does anyone here remember The New Mickey Mouse Club on Channel 9? It aired during weekend afternoons. Not the version with Britney Spears and N-Sync, but the one with Lisa Whelchel and Nita, Todd, Shawntee, Scott, Mindy, Pop, Allison, Curtis and Kelly? Wow... I remember A LOT of their names!  ;D

And you're right about FEN. I would GLADLY give up my entire SkyCable line-up for that channel. It had practically everything - recent series, SNL, sports, films, Jeopardy!, Phil Donahue/Oprah, Carson/Letterman, Nightline, soaps... name it! But back then, there were only 3 (going on 4) major networks in the States. With the now full line-up of FOX and with UPN/The WB currently in existence, I think they'd need a second channel to cover the same percentage of TV shows as they used to.

Again... why all the interest, ralfy? Just nostalgic... or are YOU interested in creating that site you were talking about earlier?  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2005 at 01:21 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 03:23 AM »
Yeah, I wish I could start a website like tvparty.com, but I'm not sure about the local demand for retro.

Hello, wot's this?

http://television.aol.com/in2tv

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 10:22 PM »
Yeah, I wish I could start a website like tvparty.com, but I'm not sure about the local demand for retro.

Hello, wot's this?

http://television.aol.com/in2tv

Whooha, that's nice! Tamang-tama, I'l be upgrading to broadband next year so, ... wait a minute! I guess this in2TV site requires a subscription fee...! (sa-id ang pera ko dito... ???)