Author Topic: Cheaper  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HDTV there's no going back
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cheaper
« on: Oct 25, 2005 at 10:32 AM »
I'm just curious, why are DVDs cheaper in the Philippines? For example Batman Begins only costs P550.00 which is the equivalent to about $9.00, wherein over here costs about $20.00...go figure?!?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: Cheaper
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 10:45 AM »
.. The perks of living in a third world country  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 10:53 AM »
Socialized pricing, I suppose.  ;D

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:00 AM »
Because of Piracy.

I read an article that in China, orig DVDs are sold for less than 5 US dollars.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:10 AM »
dapat lang  ;D

DVDs are not Gucci shoes or Rolex watches so you only have one price tag per model for the world's richest people.  DVDs are consumer products aimed at world markets of varying disposable incomes.  They should not be priced as if everyone in the world was a  US citizen earning US minimum wages.   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:10 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:24 AM »

<---------Biggest beneficiary  ;D

DVDs are not Gucci shoes or Rolex watches so you only have one price tag per model for the world's richest people.  DVDs are consumer products aimed at world markets of varying disposable incomes.  They should not be priced as if everyone in the world was a  US citizen earning US minimum wages.   ;D

Haha, very well said, sir AV!
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:25 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:29 AM »
Because of Piracy.

True.  that's why China has its own Region coding - R6 (mostly stripped-down dvd-5 versions). and still very little demand because the competion is way cheaper and more accessible.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Offline Joe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
I still don't agree, just because I live here in the U.S. of A. that I have to pay more than twice the cost.  I most certainly don't make twice the amount of money a ordinary white collar worker makes, plus I'm pretty sure my mortgage, student loans, day care for my daughter are alot higher here than they are there...Don't get me wrong you guys are lucky to have that as a "perk"... ;)

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 11:38 AM »
True.  that's why China has its own Region coding - R6 (mostly stripped-down dvd-5 versions). and still very little demand because the competion is way cheaper and more accessible.

Yes because the competition has DVD9s wherein the orig is, as you said, stripped down DVD5s. This is a no brainer for consumers in choosing which ones to buy!

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 12:00 PM »
I still don't agree, just because I live here in the U.S. of A. that I have to pay more than twice the cost. I most certainly don't make twice the amount of money a ordinary white collar worker makes, plus I'm pretty sure my mortgage, student loans, day care for my daughter are alot higher here than they are there...Don't get me wrong you guys are lucky to have that as a "perk"... ;)

i guess im a "look at the bright side" guy -- most collectors chose R1 over R3 because despite the hefty price premium and local unavailability one gets better over-all quality such as packaging, special features/extras, audio (DTS) and of course, higher resale value.  i suppose for many English-speaking collectors, the weird R3 Batman Begins WS disc 2 menu alone makes them chose R1.  heh, even local R3 releases cant compare with HK and Korean R3 in terms of packaging and extras.  i suppose it all depends on which side of the fence one's from.  8)  im lucky: i prefer R3 over R1 because of the languages and subtitles. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005 at 12:32 PM by Chivalry »
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
i guess im a "look at the bright side" guy --   im lucky: i prefer R3 over R1 because of the languages and subtitles. ;)

Yep. may tagalog subtitles pa  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 01:16 PM »
I still don't agree, just because I live here in the U.S. of A. that I have to pay more than twice the cost.  I most certainly don't make twice the amount of money a ordinary white collar worker makes, plus I'm pretty sure my mortgage, student loans, day care for my daughter are alot higher here than they are there...Don't get me wrong you guys are lucky to have that as a "perk"... ;)

In many ways we are lucky.  But so are you, living and working in the land of milk an honey.  There are pros and cons living there, same here.  But if you were to make a rough profile of DVDs cost per US average minimum wage of around $6 per hour, an $18 DVD over there can be purchased in three hour's wages.  Here, one DVD at P895 will require 3 days wages (Manila rate of P300 per day).  Even the sale price of P299 will require 1 day's wages.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005 at 01:31 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 01:23 PM »
I still don't agree, just because I live here in the U.S. of A. that I have to pay more than twice the cost. I most certainly don't make twice the amount of money a ordinary white collar worker makes, plus I'm pretty sure my mortgage, student loans, day care for my daughter are alot higher here than they are there...Don't get me wrong you guys are lucky to have that as a "perk"... ;)

I guess we're lucky in some aspects but you're even luckier because you do not have GMA there. You also do not have our Bureau of Customs which is the reason why the Batman Begins DE is delayed for distribution here.

Considering the cost of living here and the rate of wages we are receiving, maybe DVD prices here are higher than what you're paying for there (relatively, of course). Especially now, beginning November, EVAT will be imposed. I'm sure DVD pricess will be affected by this along with the rest of everything. Meralco is now declaring that there will be an increase of as high as more than 50 centavos for electricity cost per kilowatt of usage.

Affected ang lahat ng aspeto ng bisyo natin. Dagdag na cost sa: Gas or pamasahe papunta sa DVD Store; dagdag sa price ng DVD; dagdag sa price ng AV equipment; at dagdag sa price ng kuryente na ginagamit sa bisyong ito.

GLORIA BUMABA KA NA! j/k, pero sana nga.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005 at 01:34 PM by Quitacet »

Offline Joe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 02:39 PM »
Yeah you guys are right there are pros and cons...We all should be glad that we are able to enjoy this hobby of ours... ;D