Author Topic: DVD Upscaling...Myth or Fact  (Read 3790 times)

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD Upscaling...Myth or Fact
« on: Oct 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM »
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to the forum but was a long time "lurker" years before (when DVD pirated copies were sold for 300 pesos each) haha.

I am planning to get a DVD player with upscaling features.  Question is...do upscalers really do upscale?

I am posting a part of an article in Wikipedia....

Upscaling/upconverting DVD players contain a scaler, which allows the user to convert lower resolution content into a signal that the display device will handle as high definition content. Depending on the quality of the scaling that is done within the upscaling/upconverting DVD player, the resultant output quality of the video displayed may or may not be improved. The idea behind upconverting DVD players is that when a DVD player is connected to an HDTV, especially one of the fixed pixel display type such as LCD, Plasma display, or DLP and LCoS projection TV, scaling happens anyway, either inside the player or inside the TV. By performing the scaling closer to the source inside the DVD player, the video scaler gets to work with the original signal without the concern of transmission error or interference. There exist independent benchmark tests[1] verifying that some upconverting DVD players do produce better video quality. However, under no circumstances will an upscaling/upconverting DVD player provide "high-definition content", since video information can only be retained or lost in each successive conversion step, but not created. Companies such as Denon, Pioneer Electronics, Panasonic and OPPO Digital were among the first to make upconverting DVD players. Now, almost all consumer electronics brands have this product category. Computer software DVD-Video players like PowerDVD and WinDVD tap into a computer's video card in order to upscale a video frame from the DVD content to the user's set output resolution.
A properly-designed upconverting DVD player should have these key parts all with good quality: MPEG decoder, deinterlacing component, and video scaler. Among those, the deinterlacing component is the most important one. If the deinterlacer assembles the video frame in an incorrect manner, no matter how good the video scaler is, it still cannot produce the correct video. On the other hand, some upconverting DVD players use a single chip that contains the MPEG decoder, deinterlacing component and video scaler. This type of chip is often called SoC (System-on-a-Chip). Low cost upconverting DVD players usually feature the SoC design.

Your thoughts guys.

Thanks.
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline andre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: DVD Upscaling...Myth or Fact
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM »
Based on my observation, Blu-ray players tends to do better upscaling DVD job than DVD players. Maybe its because Bluray player chips are capable of playing higher resolution better.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM »
It's a fact. Have compared the outputs of non-upscaling progressive scan branded players (philips and lg) with that of a low-cost upscaling dvdp and there is a very noticable picture improvement. It could be inferred that upscalers with better chips and construction can deliver better pictures than the generic mass-market players with cheap chips. Oppo upscalers have garnered great reviews.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 09:19 PM »
You see the benefits only if you have a LCD at least 32" (The bigger the more pronounced the difference between an Upscaling and non-upscaling DVD player).

As stated, not all upscaling DVD are created equal.

Since a 1080p LCD has more pixel than what  a regular DVD player will show, DVDs will tend to show jagged edges and pixelations on such big screens.  Upscaling DVDs will try to upscale the pixel to match your LCD and smooth-out (anti-alias) the image, so it will look better.  So yes, DVD upscaling is a fact (on big screens).
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 09:59 PM »
Fact.

the best upscaling DVD players I have seen are the Oppo-983 and Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player.
These two are quite expensive though.

You can check out the Toshiba XDE-500 or Pioneer DV-610 (These are above average upscaling DVD players)

I personally use a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player as my primary upscaling DVD player. Picture is fine for my eyes.
You can buy one in ebay for less than $50  ;D
Then hack it to be region free.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM by juancho »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2010 at 08:52 AM »
If you have a question, Google (or Bing) it...

Upconverting HDMI DVD players: Fact vs. fiction
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6859904-1.html

The Many Benefits of an Upconverting DVD Player
http://www.connectedhomemag.com/visual/articles/index.cfm?articleid=50124
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline neilc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM »
If you have a question, Google (or Bing) it...

Upconverting HDMI DVD players: Fact vs. fiction
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6859904-1.html

The Many Benefits of an Upconverting DVD Player
http://www.connectedhomemag.com/visual/articles/index.cfm?articleid=50124

Hi techdude,

Thanks for the link. Very informative.  Just to clarify chief, the reason for my post is to get insights from pdvd peeps.  Yes, you are right, I can google questions I have all day long, but I just want to hear/read insights from here.

By the way, the links you have posted are very informative, but they are still, let's just say, their own reviews/opinions.  That's the reason why I want to ask our homegrown guys here.

Super newbie here :)

Thanks chief!

Offline neilc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM »
You see the benefits only if you have a LCD at least 32" (The bigger the more pronounced the difference between an Upscaling and non-upscaling DVD player).

As stated, not all upscaling DVD are created equal.

Since a 1080p LCD has more pixel than what  a regular DVD player will show, DVDs will tend to show jagged edges and pixelations on such big screens.  Upscaling DVDs will try to upscale the pixel to match your LCD and smooth-out (anti-alias) the image, so it will look better.  So yes, DVD upscaling is a fact (on big screens).

This is a very good information chief. I have a 37 inch LCD TV.  Will try to compare playing dvds on a normal player and one with upscaling feature.

Thanks bro.