Author Topic: Another Computer problem  (Read 5537 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Another Computer problem
« on: Oct 29, 2005 at 07:36 AM »
I'm wondering if you guys can help me with my problem...

I have two HDs -- the problem I encounter is that whenever I try to burn data on my slave drive I always get a data reading error, something I never encounter if I transfer my data to my master drive.

I've checked my slave drive and there are two bad sectors.

Do you think these bad sectors are causing the writing problem?

Offline ADM202E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Computer problem
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 08:41 PM »
I used to have the same problem before from my slave 80gig seagate. It seems window's chkdsk command does not fully repaired or relocate files on parts with bad sector. I used norton dick doctor yet same issue persists. To end it all , I copied all my important files to my primary 200 gig and partiotioned the slave drive, afterwards returned the original files. So far my slave now converted external usb drive does not show any burning problems both to my desktop and laptop. You might like try to backup and reformat your slave drive just to safe and isolate problems.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 08:56 PM »
They say bad sectors in the HDD are like cancer. Kumakalat. There's no stopping it from spreading (daw). If you still have warranty, have it replaced (say NO to repairs).

Anyway, the slave and master will share the bandwidth. That might be causing the problem.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005 at 09:09 PM by bumblebee »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 09:20 PM »
Try to get Gibson SPINRITE and use this tool to test (and try to fix) your HD

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 05:25 PM »
Bad sector is a HD's physical problem.  May scratch na siguro yung surface nung HD mo, kumbaga sa DVD eh may gasgas na, so yung dvd player mo hirap na basahin yung movie.  Minsan kasi nababangga natin accidentally yung CPU habang nagre-read HD natin.

Sometimes operating system (OS) error naman, nirecord nya na may bad sector kahit naman wala.  Pag may bad sector nga yang HD mo its better papaltan mo na yan kasi hindi na mawawala yan, sasakit lang ulo mo.  Sigurado most of your present & future software problem will be caused by that bad sector.  Kung naka warranty pa yan covered nila yan, pwede papaltan.

The best thing to do first is to reformat your hard disk (dont forget to backup your files).  Minsan kasi kung OS error, nawawala yung bad sector. Pero kung andun pa rin talaga yung bad sector, then its better to replace it.

You can also try the available utilities in the market like norton utilities pero as i've said pag OS error lang yan baka mali rin ang pagrereport ng utility mo na may bad sector HD mo.

Yung mga sinabi ko based yan sa personal experience ko.  I hope this helps.  :)
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline shotgun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 05:42 PM »
Best thing to do is buy a new Master HDD and assign your old Master into your Slave. Bad Sectors (as already mentioned) are like cancers that will spread :(
+63917-8261578

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 01:22 AM »
yup... bad sectors are usually a bad sign. you see one or two now... then maybe 6 after a week... and so on.

best you run a diagnostic tool (like seatools from seagate) to do some physical tests on the drive and check it's reliability... you might get some "borrowed time" from the HDD but sooner or later it's gonna die anyway.

BTW, may we know the capacity, brand and product type of the drive that's giving you this grief... and how long you have had it na rin.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2005 at 01:23 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 08:36 AM »
It's an 80GB Maxtor IDE 5200rpm that was bought September '02. Actually, my next questions is whether I can still have the drive replaced given the date I bought my HD. What is the warranty of Maxtor HDs? I know that Seagates have a five-year warranty. Anyone here tried having their HDs replaced under warranty?
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2005 at 08:39 AM by indie boi »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 04:30 PM »
It's an 80GB Maxtor IDE 5200rpm that was bought September '02. Actually, my next questions is whether I can still have the drive replaced given the date I bought my HD. What is the warranty of Maxtor HDs? I know that Seagates have a five-year warranty. Anyone here tried having their HDs replaced under warranty?

Who's your dealer? I doubt if they'll honor that 5-year warranty. Most dealers just give 6 mos to a year. Anyway, when my HDD failed, I had it brought to the shop. They said they will repair it (still has warranty). I know that they can't, of course ;D How can they? So, pabalik-balik ako. Sabay sabon on the side hehehe Pinalitan din.

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:20 PM »
pareng indie, most dealers 1 year lang ang binibigay na warranty,  pero sa maxtor/seagate HD bought before july05 is 3 yrs.  anyway, check the links below to check your warranty:

https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create/01_serial_number.cfm?dt=

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/View%20By%20Category/Desktop%20Storage/DiamondMax%20Family/Diagnostics&downloadID=22

the second link is the download page for powermax which is like seagate's discwizard in case your warranty has expired.  if normal format doesn't fix the bad sectors, try powermax and you may want to zero fill the HD and see if it fixes it.  just like what they have already said, a bad sector is like cancer - they multiply/spread out so before they do, fix it. 

hope this helps bro.

shalom :)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:24 PM »

you can go to http://www.maxtor.com/ and https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create/ enter your drive's serial number to find out warranty status.

hope this helps.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2005 at 03:01 PM »
i'm a bit unlucky when it comes to hard drives... i bought a maxtor 6GB drive when i first upgraded my PC 6 years ago. it "died" after only six months. lucky, i kept the receipt and the store replaced it. but the new drive also "died" the day after the one-year warranty expired: december 31st... a HOLIDAY! grrr!

it's replacement: an early seagate 13GB barracuda died this year... five years after i bought it. LOL.

since then... i swore never to buy maxtor. LOL. (altho, i think they've improved a LOT since then.)  :P
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2005 at 03:02 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 07:08 AM »
in my pc i have two 80gig 7200 maxtor sata drives configured as raid 0, then a maxtor 160gig 7200rpm maxtor ide drive, and also a 200gig 7200rpm seagate sata drives.

been running them since february and so far no problem, guess is am lucky? none have died on me yet. ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 11:45 AM »
You may want to move to SCSI hard disks. A bit more expensive though. You also have to buy SCSI controllers. Had them since 2003. Never gave me problems.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 03:31 PM »
in my pc i have two 80gig 7200 maxtor sata drives configured as raid 0, then a maxtor 160gig 7200rpm maxtor ide drive, and also a 200gig 7200rpm seagate sata drives.

been running them since february and so far no problem, guess is am lucky? none have died on me yet. ;D

i thought it wasn't recommended to place both SATA and IDE drives in the same rig? pwede na?  ???

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 03:36 PM »
i thought it wasn't recommended to place both SATA and IDE drives in the same rig? pwede na?  ???

well, i have them on my abit av8 mobo with athlon64 3500+ proc. been runnning them since feb. this year!
i have 3 sata's and 1 pata drives...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 04:27 PM »
well, i have them on my abit av8 mobo with athlon64 3500+ proc. been runnning them since feb. this year!
i have 3 sata's and 1 pata drives...

wow! nice processor  :o ... haaaay! wish wish wish wish! ::)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 07:44 AM »
Thanks for all your inputs guys. Pareng Yrneh, thanks for the link to Powermax dahil yan ang hinahanap kong application pero hindi ko maalala yung name.

2ny, I'll look at that link to check for my serial number, thanks.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 07:53 AM »
pareng indie, most dealers 1 year lang ang binibigay na warranty,  pero sa maxtor/seagate HD bought before july05 is 3 yrs.  anyway, check the links below to check your warranty:

https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create/01_serial_number.cfm?dt=

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/View%20By%20Category/Desktop%20Storage/DiamondMax%20Family/Diagnostics&downloadID=22

the second link is the download page for powermax which is like seagate's discwizard in case your warranty has expired.  if normal format doesn't fix the bad sectors, try powermax and you may want to zero fill the HD and see if it fixes it.  just like what they have already said, a bad sector is like cancer - they multiply/spread out so before they do, fix it. 

hope this helps bro.

shalom :)

Kakabisita ko lang sa link ng Maxtor. Ang problem ko wala akong floppy drive, may way ba na macopy yung extracted files to a CD? PAno kaya yung gagawin?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:00 AM »
Kakabisita ko lang sa link ng Maxtor. Ang problem ko wala akong floppy drive, may way ba na macopy yung extracted files to a CD? PAno kaya yung gagawin?

copy mo sa harddrive yung download files, kung may cd burner ka, pwede kang gumawa ng bootable cd then doon mo ilagay yung files.

anyway, nowadays, who needs floppy drives. i do not use them any more!

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
wow! nice processor  :o ... haaaay! wish wish wish wish! ::)

complete specs of my rig are:
Athlon64 3500+
Abit AV8 mobo
Geil  2 x 512, total 1gig ddr400 ram, id dual channel mode
Leadtek Winfast 6600GT 128mb ddr video card
Leadtek Winfast TV tuner expert edition
Promise Fastrack TX2 sata controlller
2 x 80gig 7200rpm maxtor sata as my boot drive in raid 0 array
1 x 200gig 7200rpm seagate sata as main backup drive
1 x 160gig 7200rpm ide drive as shuttle drive between this rig and another p4 2.8gig rig.
1 x plextor 16x cd-rw drive
1 x pioneer dv116 dvd rom
1 x poineer dvd writer
cooler master cavalier casing
enhace 520 watt psu.

just to give you an idea, here is how my rig looks like:

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:35 AM »

copy mo sa harddrive yung download files, kung may cd burner ka, pwede kang gumawa ng bootable cd then doon mo ilagay yung files.

anyway, nowadays, who needs floppy drives. i do not use them any more!

Self-extracting utility yung powermax, the only prompt to extract the files is to insert a floppy diskette. Ako din wala na akong floppy because I think it's already an obsolete device.

What should I do?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:47 AM »
try mo sa winzip, maybe you can dissassemble the files, although i have not tried this myself, but what have we got to lose! ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 12:08 PM »
complete specs of my rig are:
Athlon64 3500+
Abit AV8 mobo
Geil  2 x 512, total 1gig ddr400 ram, id dual channel mode
Leadtek Winfast 6600GT 128mb ddr video card
Leadtek Winfast TV tuner expert edition
Promise Fastrack TX2 sata controlller
2 x 80gig 7200rpm maxtor sata as my boot drive in raid 0 array
1 x 200gig 7200rpm seagate sata as main backup drive
1 x 160gig 7200rpm ide drive as shuttle drive between this rig and another p4 2.8gig rig.
1 x plextor 16x cd-rw drive
1 x pioneer dv116 dvd rom
1 x poineer dvd writer
cooler master cavalier casing
enhace 520 watt psu.

you have FIVE(!) IDE devices... how?

idol! ang linis tingnan nung mga cables. nice casing too... reminds me a lot of thermaltake's tsunami series. thanks for the pics!  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 03:03 PM »
you have FIVE(!) IDE devices... how?

only four actually, one ide hd and 3 optical drives, plus 3 sata drives....

how? the 200gig sata is via promise fastrack controller, the 2 80gig sata thru via kt800 sata controller, and the ide devices via the kt800 ide controllers....

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
Self-extracting utility yung powermax, the only prompt to extract the files is to insert a floppy diskette. Ako din wala na akong floppy because I think it's already an obsolete device.

What should I do?

uh indie... there's a downloadable ISO file for a bootable powermax CD at maxtor.com here.

you can also try this

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 06:49 PM »
only four actually, one ide hd and 3 optical drives, plus 3 sata drives....

how? the 200gig sata is via promise fastrack controller, the 2 80gig sata thru via kt800 sata controller, and the ide devices via the kt800 ide controllers....

oh okay... naduling ata ako and i didn't see ur 200GB HDD was SATA. thanks for clarifying that.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 08:31 PM »
uh indie... there's a downloadable ISO file for a bootable powermax CD at maxtor.com here.

you can also try this

Uy thanks! I missed this when I was browsing the page.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 08:35 PM »
Uy thanks! I missed this when I was browsing the page.

no problem...  it happens to all of us. LOL. just look at my posts above. heh heh.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 05:02 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 10:56 AM »
You may want to move to SCSI hard disks. A bit more expensive though. You also have to buy SCSI controllers. Had them since 2003. Never gave me problems.

Hi rascal,

where can I buy SCSI controllers?
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)