Author Topic: The sound of resistors & some tips  (Read 1004 times)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
The sound of resistors & some tips
« on: Nov 02, 2005 at 09:40 AM »
Just how do resistors sound ...

Some information I gathered while browsing,

http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/theory10.htm

Some tips ...

It is a good idea to put two resistors in series rather than parallel. I did some tests on metallic film resistors and measured capacitance in the order of 5pF. As such, putting them in parallel will cause capacitance to double while putting them in series will halve capacitance.

Based on my observation on my two CD players, two or three resistors (after the output op-amps whether internal of external) are placed in series leading to the RCA jacks. That way typical noises in the order of 1 MHz and below are filtered out. And speeds up signal transmission to output.

So as an example, instead of putting a single 1K resistor place two 500ohm resistors in series.

Cheers,

Rascal101
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005 at 09:47 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The sound of resistors & some tips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2005 at 09:45 PM »
I did some tests on metallic film resistors and measured capacitance in the order of 5pF. As such, putting them in parallel will cause capacitance to double while putting them in series will halve capacitance.

hmmm....let me see... a 5pf accross a 1k resistor will have a corner freq. of  1 / 2x3.14xRxC =31.8MHz way above human hearing!!
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
Sir 2ny,

Understand that it is beyond audio frequency. However, as a practice if it is possible to reduce parasitics and PCB would allow then I'd go for it.

Rascal101

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 03:03 PM »
yes....a different ballgame altogether...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 04:57 PM »
Sir 2ny,

Understand that it is beyond audio frequency. However, as a practice if it is possible to reduce parasitics and PCB would allow then I'd go for it.

Rascal101

I won't argue the objective, it's the wisdom that escapes me.   The mathematics may be flawless, yielding peace of mind for someone who does the math.  I personally prefer spending time and effort in things that would matter most, at least commensurate to the labor.    I mean filtering out noise in the megahertz range???, I wonder if even bats would mind.  But... as they say, to each his own.  Peace  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2005 at 05:02 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 09:37 AM »
Understand that the contribution is miniscule but for a typical amp with hundred of resistors this small things do add up.  ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 02:30 PM »
Putting resistors in series to reduce resistance may not be much but changing capacitors that do not lie in the signal path and using basically the same value? If its just because it has lower esr, what for? For decoupling applications better to add a metallic polyster to the electrolytic if the layout is bad.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 04:27 PM »
Putting resistors in series to reduce resistance may not be much.

I believe it increases the resistance when you series and decrease when you parallel.

I also believe that with such flawlessness and considerations such a device can be used even at zero gravity.

;)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 09:48 AM »

I believe it increases the resistance when you series and decrease when you parallel.

I also believe that with such flawlessness and considerations such a device can be used even at zero gravity.

;)

Sorry, I was thinking capacitance but wrote resistance instead.  ;D