Author Topic: Explaining the DVD collection hobby  (Read 16158 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« on: Dec 02, 2002 at 08:40 PM »
Ever have one of those days when your surfing the amazon website looking for dvds you want to buy and someone annoyingly sits beside you and asks "you collect dvds mahal niyan ah what do you do when you buy them sayang ang pera" i wanted to pick up my lap-top slam it on his head and tell him "i don't tell you how to spend your money so don't tell me how to spend mine" it just pisses me off! aaarrrggghhh >:( some people just can't understand us! whats worse sometimes just won't leave us alone!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2002 at 08:42 PM by dracula »

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
Re:Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 09:25 AM »
what's worse is when they ask you: "bakit hindi ka na lang mag-pirated? mura pa." hehehehe.  ::)
Quo vadis?

Offline Flyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I feel the need...the NEED for SPEED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 09:46 AM »
what's worse is when they ask you: "bakit hindi ka na lang mag-pirated? mura pa." hehehehe.  ::)

I also get the same feedback from my friends >:(
Its so difficult to explain to them the quality of original compared to p****ed, especially for those who doesn't own an original DVD disc & doesn't even know what DD 5.1 or DTS means!! But what really pisses me off is after explaining the comparison between the two...someone will butt in & tell you..."Eh di pahiram mo sa amin mga original mo to prove what you're saying!!!"

Well..they all get the same reply from me..."In your dreams DUDE!!" :P

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2002 at 09:47 AM by Flyboy »
I feel the need....the need for speed...

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 09:50 AM »

My Answer..

Dude, your not in my league to waste thousands of peso for a DVD.. stick to ur below 100P per pirated DVD
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 01:15 PM »
   I also get these remarks - "Ang laki na ng nagagastos mo diyan sa mga DVDs na yan", "Anong napapala mo sa pag-collect niyan", "So ano ngayon kung may library ka na ng DVDs?" etc, most of the time it comes from my siblings pa.  Why can't they understand us? Why?!

I can understand where these people are coming from I myself sometimes find me looking at those DVDs on my shelf and wondering why the hell am I burning that kind of money on these DVDs I hardly watch?  Have it ever occured to you that your DVD collection are worth one high-end PC or more?

Pero, di ba parang addiction talaga?  Theres nothing like the feeling of unsealing your new DVD and smelling and feeling the disc in your hands for the first time,  Waking up in the morning and the first thing you see is your DVDs neatly arranged on you shelf.... haaaay what a bliss.

When Im confronted with those remarks my answer is simple, other buy expensive shoes we buy DVDs, others do drugs we do DVDs, still other eat out in expensive resto we... kung pwede lang eat DVD na rin hehehe

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 02:34 PM »
My DVDs are enjoyed by the whole family, not only me. So instead of buying other expensive stuff that only I can enjoy, better DVDs. Another thing, other vices are minimized like gimiks, drinking and the occasional girls  ;D because of lack of money due to our beloved DVDs.

Happy na ako, happy pa buong pamilya ko especially my wife.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 02:48 PM »
Sister ko ang comment :

" kung saan ka masaya suportahan taka"

Si ermat at erpat :

" pagkamahal mahal ng binibili mo"

Comment ko;

Dito ako masaya eh,At least nakikita ko kung saan napupunta pera ko  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2003 at 09:17 AM by dexterc »

Offline vnO

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 01:18 PM »
Good to have this post, huh! ;D

Sometimes it's really hard to explain why we spend a lot for DVDs... or making DVD collection our hobby...   people would wonder why...   I think it's not just simply spending that counts in this hobby, or any hobby in general, but the fact that we are spending for something that we value and with value to us...  value in the sense that the DVDs that we collect are not just "DVDs" but DVDs that are worth collecting depending on our own criteria...   best features...  best sound...  best movies...  best video...  best boxed set...  or simply our best favorites...  

When people ask why... I simply say...  why not?   :)

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 01:59 PM »
well, for me, I love movies and this format gives me the best video and audio presentation of the film right in the comfort of my own home. nuff said... :P

Offline Vash

• Collector
  • Love and Peace !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 02:07 PM »

that question won't annoy me 'coz  i buy both orig and pirated dvds!!!  nyaaaaaahahahhaha!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 02:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Mahirap talagang mag-explain.  Dito nga sa office namin, when I suggest to my officemates na may sale, they would simply say "mas mura pa rin yung pirated!" kaya kadalasan, tahimik na lang ako.  but I never tell them that I collect DVDs.  mahirap na kasi baka mahiraman pa, at itrato nilang parang p-DVDs yung mga orig ko.  never mind! :P

The case was even the same with the HTs.  I was telling them na okey yung mga ganitong brand and everything and then my boss would say "Sus, dun na lang sa pier mas mura pa. mahal naman nyang mga sinasabi mo."  Well I know okey din naman bumili sa pier pero most of the time swerte-swerte lang kung maganda talaga yung makuha mo.  iba pa rin talaga yung orig and new and you would always have the peace of mind na you can relly on your HT to serve you for a long time.  ;)

Most of the time it boils down to Orig and Pirated copies.

Offline tABs

• Collector
  • Last Man Standing
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 07:46 PM »
 ;D
ignore mo na lang sila dude, or better yet, tell them- eh wala ka kamo magawa sa pera mo, nde pa nagagalaw yun last sweldo mo eh eto't sweldo na naman...kaya kamo gusto mo orig na dvds binibili mo para magamit mo naman salansan ng pera mo....hehehe.. ;D

::)

Offline anwarlorenzo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 08:36 PM »
well, for me, I love movies and this format gives me the best video and audio presentation of the film right in the comfort of my own home. nuff said... :P

My exact sentiments :)

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 08:53 AM »
ako naman ito sagot ko:   eh diyan ako masaya at I enjoy watching movie and to watch it on DVD format is just superb atsaka at least pinagpaguran nakikita ko and sulit lalo na pag maganda movie! :D

meron pa po tanong? ;D

Offline melkeith

• Collector
  • Still a slacker.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 01:58 PM »
I just say to each his own, man.  If the other guy is insistent, I ask him about his own hobbies or interests and pester him about the wisdom of having such.  Like I would attack his fondness for flashy clothes or eating at fine dining restaurants, etc.  When he goes on the defensive I tell him that I have just illustrated my point, which is:

Bottomline, it's all subjective, so we don't really have to explain ourselves to anyone.  

So long as what I do is neither illegal, immoral, nor violative of others' rights, it's my choice to make, and mine alone.  
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 02:00 PM by melkeith »

Offline kurdapio

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 02:18 PM »

My Answer..

Dude, your not in my league to waste thousands of peso for a DVD.. stick to ur below 100P per pirated DVD

Bakit masama ba mag-suggest?  They are just being practical...  

Kung ayaw mo maging praktikal eh di bahala ka sa buhay mo bakit kailangan insultuhin mo pa iyung tao??  Dahil ba panay orig DVD mo mas magaling ka na kesa dun sa panay Pirated ang DVD?

Puwede mo naman siya sabihan na "Mas Gusto ko talaga orig eh" I'm sure that annoying piarated DVD person will back off and let you do your thing.....  

Kanya-kanyang diskarte iyan, hindi kailangan nang insulto..  Peace  ;)

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 03:29 PM »
I must admit my addiction for DVDs has reached the point of absurdity.  Imagine the wifey telling you, "Ba't bili ka nang bili eh hindi mo naman pinapanood?"  Which is true.  ;D

Kayo guys, pano niyo sasagutin yon?

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 03:33 PM »
I must admit my addiction for DVDs has reached the point of absurdity.  Imagine the wifey telling you, "Ba't bili ka nang bili eh hindi mo naman pinapanood?"  Which is true.  ;D

habang mura pa at may available. mapapanood din yan pag 75yrs old na tayo at walang magawa...
money is best spent

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 03:38 PM »

No problem here i always watch the dvds i own.....i was so thrilled when i got the lotr dvd sabi nog girlfriend ko "wow ang ganda naman parang ang sarap panoorin"

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 03:40 PM »
   Bubuyog guilty rin ako diyan.  I have been confronted with that exact statement too.  

Ito lang sagot diayn eh, "Bakit when you buy something kailangan bang gamitin agad? Pag bumili ka ng cake o ng 4 kilos of beef kailangan ba lamunin mo agad?" siyempre pag wala ka sa mood to watch sayang naman di ka rin mag-eenjoy, but there are time na gusto mong manood nakakanood ka ng 4 na movies straight di ba.

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 04:01 PM »
Actually, my response to the wifey is also absurd:

"Honey, kahit hindi natin panoorin yan, good buy yan!  Kumbaga, keeper!"

Ayun, keeper nga.  Lagi lang nakatago.  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 04:02 PM by bubuyog »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 04:05 PM »
Actually, my response to the wifey is also absurd:

"Honey, kahit hindi natin panoorin yan, good buy yan!  Kumbaga, keeper!"

Ayun, keeper nga.  Lagi lang nakatago.  ;D

Curious lang what dvds did you buy that you haven't watched?

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 04:15 PM »
Too many to mention, sir.  If you like, check this thread coz I listed them down there.

Syempre madadagdagan pa yung list coz marami na naman akong binili na hindi ko pa rin pinapanood.  ;D

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 05:43 PM »
Too many to mention, sir.  If you like, check this thread coz I listed them down there.

Syempre madadagdagan pa yung list coz marami na naman akong binili na hindi ko pa rin pinapanood.  ;D

Help me i'm trying to understand here......you buy dvds then you don't watch them? but why buy them in the first place? do you have plans of watching them

Offline kurdapio

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 06:24 PM »
mawalang galang na. eh kung ayaw niya panoorin eh, ano pakialam natin?  Iyun ang trip niya eh...  

Para ding stamp collection iyan, bakit ka nagcollect nang stamp kung di mo naman gagamitin para mag-mail...

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 06:36 PM »
it's an obsession.  And it's absurd.  ;D

I'm so obsessed to have as many titles my wallet could afford.  I'm so obsessed to fill up my DVD racks.  I'm so obsessed to own DVD copies of critically-acclaimed movies.  

It's so absurd that to me, owning DVDs is primary and watching them is secondary.  

My eyes well up when I see Astrovision.  My fingers itch when I type www.pinoydvd.com.  I can't think straight when I have a client call somewhere in Greenhills.

You don't need help.  I do.  

;D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 06:50 PM »
it's an obsession.  And it's absurd.  ;D

I'm so obsessed to have as many titles my wallet could afford.  I'm so obsessed to fill up my DVD racks.  I'm so obsessed to own DVD copies of critically-acclaimed movies.  

It's so absurd that to me, owning DVDs is primary and watching them is secondary.  

My eyes well up when I see Astrovision.  My fingers itch when I type www.pinoydvd.com.  I can't think straight when I have a client call somewhere in Greenhills.

You don't need help.  I do.  

;D

nice dude! if you ever seek help and decide to dispose of your collection don't post it here - send me a PM, i'll gladly pick them up at your place ;D
money is best spent

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 07:45 PM »
hehe, nice try iceman.  ;D

The help that I need is one that will make me watch -- not dispose of -- the DVDs I bought.

;D 8) ;D 8) ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 07:46 PM by bubuyog »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 08:15 PM »
worth a try ;D

OT - you still have the ps2? were you able to make it work?
money is best spent

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 09:33 PM »
You people are sick! You need professional help  ;D