Author Topic: Explaining the DVD collection hobby  (Read 16156 times)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 12:31 AM »
You people are sick! You need professional help  ;D

not going to get any - unless the doctor's waiting room is set up with a home theater ;D

or he has a really cute receptionist/nurse
money is best spent

Offline Mrs. T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 12:54 AM »
Heh, heh, heh.... This is a cool thread/topic!
Right here, pirated dvd's is really not a problem or at least I'm just not aware of it. Dvd's here are dirt cheap, producing and selling pirated dvd's are not even worth it.
Here, if you were to bug someone about their dvd collections, you'll get the same response most of the time... "It's none of your God...... business !!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2002 at 12:59 AM by TOTI »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 09:25 AM »
Me and my wife was talking.

Ako : Hon, punta lang akong ACA rent ko lang yung Panic Room
Wifey : Baket ka pa mag rerent eh ang dami dami mo pang DVD's dyan eh di panoodin mo na lang yun
Ako : Eh napanood ko na lahat yun eh
Wife : Kita ko yung isang dvd mo dun may seal pa eh(Speed 5 Star Collection) di yun na lang panoodin mo
Ako : Napanood ko na kasi sa sinehan yun nun eh
Wife : Hayup ka(pok!!, with matching hampas), eh isang libo bili mo dun tapos napanood mo na pala..nasisiraan ka na ba nang ulo(pok!!pok!!pok!!, hampas again 3 times)
Ako : Aray kooooooooo.......

Moral lesson : My Wife and my DVD's, not a good combination >:( >:(
Walang Setup

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 11:29 AM »
worth a try ;D

OT - you still have the ps2? were you able to make it work?

OT - my friend who owns the PS2 decided to buy it back from me.  ;)

Offline bubuyog

• Collector
  • Not the jolly type
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 11:33 AM »

Wifey : Baket ka pa mag rerent eh ang dami dami mo pang DVD's dyan eh di panoodin mo na lang yun
Wife : Kita ko yung isang dvd mo dun may seal pa eh(Speed 5 Star Collection) di yun na lang panoodin mo
Wife : Hayup ka(pok!!, with matching hampas), eh isang libo bili mo dun tapos napanood mo na pala..nasisiraan ka na ba nang ulo(pok!!pok!!pok!!, hampas again 3 times)

This is very true, my friend.  Not only the wifey, but others as well can't seem to understand why DVD addicts like me would want to buy movies I've already seen.  The "keeper" principle seems to escape their logic.  But then again, collectors can hardly be called logical.  ;D

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 12:13 PM »
Simula nung nag collect ako..hindi pa ako nakakabili nang DVD na napanood ko na...lahat nang binili ko eh napanood ko na...nakakatuwa kasi pag nakikita mo yung rack mo na unti unting napupuno ehehehe ;D
Walang Setup

Offline paeng

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2002 at 12:45 PM »
It's good to collect a DVD version only if the film is worth it. Examples include *Pixote* and *Seven Samurai*. The same applies to literature (the EB "Great Books" collection, Modern Library, and Everyman) and music (Western and Eastern classical, world). For the rest, just get them on cheap VHS or VCD, paperback, or audio tape.

Offline anna

• Apprentice
  • my preciousss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2003 at 07:33 PM »
I always get asked the "why don't you buy pirated DVDs na lang?" question too. I just shrugged and leave them hanging. Explaining to them about my DVD collection hobby is a waste of time and patience.  :P

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2003 at 04:25 AM »
I must admit my addiction for DVDs has reached the point of absurdity.  Imagine the wifey telling you, "Ba't bili ka nang bili eh hindi mo naman pinapanood?"  Which is true.  ;D

Kayo guys, pano niyo sasagutin yon?

i just say, "pang depression" , "recession" , etc... ;D

Offline MAXBUWAYA

• Apprentice
  • It's crape being Scottish~!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2003 at 06:18 AM »

I collect DVD but i have to admit MAHAL TALAGA and I know na kayang ibaba ng dealers ang price nito just like what happen to VCD's noon P650 ngayon P150 na lang.   (Gahaman lang talaga sila.)

And to piracy, I do buy sometime,  You can buy a lot of quality film in piracy that you wont find in the original.
sometimes piracy can give us what local dealers cant.

Oh and whats important to me is the film and the content.  not just for display

This is why i collect. :)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2003 at 12:02 AM »

;D ;D ;D pareho ng misis ko, kaya lagi kong alibi, nakipabili lang ang office mate ko... ;D ;D ;D

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 07, 2003 at 02:16 AM »
I collect movies, not DVDs. It just so happens that films on DVD are of better quality than VCD, and disks are more durable than tapes.

I don't have time to watch lots of movies, and I don't want to waste money investing in movies that most have seen and that are readily available, so I collect the good stuff, like the top 100 recommended by film critics.

It's more important for me to become enlightened and to be appreciative of complex films and to be entertained in the process than just to be entertained.

Kawawa yung gumagastos sa DVD only because it's a new toy for them and because pop movies look and sound nicer. When they replace DVD with another format, gastos nanaman sila! Sayang na yung pera, sayang pa yung oras.

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 16, 2003 at 10:18 PM »
Kawawa yung gumagastos sa DVD only because it's a new toy for them and because pop movies look and sound nicer. When they replace DVD with another format, gastos nanaman sila! Sayang na yung pera, sayang pa yung oras.

whew, any comments on this? collectors?

if you're going to ask me, collecting dvds is fine, this makes me happy and relaxed, isa pa, the reason why i work hard is to get what i want, and this is it collecting dvds, so mawala man ang dvd format or not okay lang, no hard feelings, ginusto ko mag-collect eh...
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2003 at 10:20 PM by ThePatriot »

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2003 at 07:35 PM »
But it doesn't explain the hobby. For example, why does it make you happy and relaxed?

whew, any comments on this? collectors?

if you're going to ask me, collecting dvds is fine, this makes me happy and relaxed, isa pa, the reason why i work hard is to get what i want, and this is it collecting dvds, so mawala man ang dvd format or not okay lang, no hard feelings, ginusto ko mag-collect eh...

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 12:36 AM »
I dont explain, I just buy her some titles then ok na. Sometimes she buys for me pa.

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 12:41 AM »
I dont explain, I just buy her some titles then ok na. Sometimes she buys for me pa.

That's right, no explantion needed.
We only have to answer to ourselves, and to our misis...  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #46 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 07:36 AM »
I was in a dilemma before that buying DVDs is not worth it by spending a lot and then you just get to view it once.  But then the joy to me is buying it, opening it, displaying it and what more watching it.  Others might think this is crazy but then to each his own.  I have been a movielover since the Betamax times and so far DVDs have been the best to happen in home video.  As compared to renting, I don't want to be pressured in watching a movie to meet the due date.  I just want to watch the movie whenever I feel like it.  There are specific movies that I want to watch to match my specific mood.

Even if I don't get to view these movies a lot, as long as I see them in my shelf, it gives me a sense of satisfaction.  I also have my own well replayed DVDs to show off to friends who doesn't have their HTs yet to influence them to set up one and enjoy what I am enjoying too. ;D

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 01:43 PM »
I was in a dilemma before that buying DVDs is not worth it by spending a lot and then you just get to view it once.  But then the joy to me is buying it, opening it, displaying it and what more watching it.  Others might think this is crazy but then to each his own.  I have been a movielover since the Betamax times and so far DVDs have been the best to happen in home video.  As compared to renting, I don't want to be pressured in watching a movie to meet the due date.  I just want to watch the movie whenever I feel like it.  There are specific movies that I want to watch to match my specific mood.

Even if I don't get to view these movies a lot, as long as I see them in my shelf, it gives me a sense of satisfaction.  I also have my own well replayed DVDs to show off to friends who doesn't have their HTs yet to influence them to set up one and enjoy what I am enjoying too. ;D

;D ;D ;D amen to that, long live dvd collectors and addicts !!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 11:12 PM »
Yup! Mabuhay ang mga DVD afficionados.... Mabuhay! ;D

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 05:50 AM »
well said, nirvblakr. DVDs just make our day! :D

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 06:40 PM »

yup, i agree ann07,  ;)  to those who are not fond of collecting dvds, please don't say anything bad or negative against us collectors, we're here in this site to share our favorite movies, dvd/vcd/ld/vhs collections, addictions  ;D and most of all, the most important, to make FRIENDS ....  :) ;) :)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2003 at 06:41 PM by ThePatriot »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:26 PM »
We are all joined in this site because of one commonality---DVDs and movie watching!  I am not discouraged in any way whatever anybody says otherwise about our DVD collection.  This is my hobby and this is what I love.   It is in this site that I can freely express my hobby and with support from other members with the same interest.  

I'm just thankful for Pinoydvd! ;D

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 05:38 PM »
But the title of the thread is "explaining the DVD collection hobby."

You say "we have to answer to ourselves." And that answer is?

That's right, no explantion needed.
We only have to answer to ourselves, and to our misis...  ;D

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 05:45 PM »
Just as one is free to engage in a hobby anyone else should be free to question it. How else do we understand the title of this thread?

Here's my guess: some people are interested in collecting films, and they buy in DVD format simply because it's more durable than VHS. Others are fascinated only by the technology, if not the nice sound and images, and will buy DVDs only because of these.

The former will buy disks even if they are not special editions or do not contain extra features, just as long as the image and sound are clear enough. After all, the best movies so far were made before technology like Surround Sound and others appeared. There are others, on the other hand, who will not stop until they get the best edition, the ones with extra features, and so forth.

Is this explanation sufficient?

Ever have one of those days when your surfing the amazon website looking for dvds you want to buy and someone annoyingly sits beside you and asks "you collect dvds mahal niyan ah what do you do when you buy them sayang ang pera" i wanted to pick up my lap-top slam it on his head and tell him "i don't tell you how to spend your money so don't tell me how to spend mine" it just pisses me off! aaarrrggghhh >:( some people just can't understand us! whats worse sometimes just won't leave us alone!!!

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 05:45 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, that's what some people said about laser disks some time ago.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 22, 2003 at 01:05 PM »
I just think that DVDs will stay.  With all the region codings and each region having their own version of the movie popularity of DVDs have been worldwide.  As compared to laser discs which didn't gain as fast and as much popularity worldwide as DVDs.  The DVD format being as stable with all its support would be hard to outdo.  I guess there would just be improvements maybe like 8.1 or 10.1 discrete sound formats but would still be on the DVD format.

That's just me though. :-\

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 10:52 AM »

hehehehe  ;D ako sinasabi ko sa wife ko pag bumibili ako ng DVD, "Pirated lang yan" tapos ang usapan  ;D hindi naman marunong tumingin yun kung alin ang orig at hindi.  8)
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline galahad

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 11:49 AM »
same with me lamok. i always tell her that it is a pirated copy. hehehe. and I always make it a point to buy a cartoon dvd for every dvd I buy. pang bribe sa baby ko.

;D

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 02:34 PM »
Effective di ba ..... wala pang bukol  ;D
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 10, 2003 at 02:36 PM »
In my case, uncle ko may UNANG kasalanan ng lahat...

He gave my sis (his inaanak) a samsung dvd player as a christmas present last year. Kaya ayun, napalitan ng di oras yung old reliable vcd player namin. Even though i did like watching movies, i intentionally shyed away from the dvd section everytime i go to astrovision. Talagang ang mindset ko nun, "Ok naman vcds so di na ko gagastos ng masyadong mahal."

Until one rainy january sunday afternoon, i had this urge to buy this R3 Star Wars 2 (i'm a fan of the saga, by the way). When i played it, the first word the came out of my mouth was "WHOA!!!"... what i saw and heard was definitely better than what i was used to seeing and hearing for the past few years (feeling ko nga nun sobrang napag-iwanan na kami sa bahay).

Anyway, yung totoong may pinakamalaking kasalanan eh itong PINOYDVD...

Yung star wars 2 dvd ko, nagkaroon ng madaming kapatid...   ;D

I guess i'm a collector by heart... I have this huge collection of basketball cards that i started during college days... lately na-divert lang sa dvds... and i do agree with the other posts na its all really a matter of preference... kanya-kanyang bisyo lang yan.  ;)